Duke4.net Forums: Great Console FPS Games - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Great Console FPS Games  "Yet another 'console' thread!"

User is offline   Martin 

Ports of PC originals don't count. Yeah I know, I make 'console' threads all the time. If you don't like it, don't post (added benefit of not bumping this topic that you hate).

I'll start us off with one we all should know (due to it's relation to Duke Nukem 3D), Exhumed (PAL) | PowerSlave (NTSC)

I have this on Saturn, and it's a great little game. It's almost like a First-Person Adventure game, but with a lot of shooting. Lots of secret areas and hidden items which can only be gotten when you earn abilities later on in the game, kind of like Metroid in a way. Fantastic game. If you don't know by now, the relation this has to our favourite game is that the creators of Exhumed (Lobotomy Software) were contracted to port Duke Nukem 3D to the Saturn, and they used the engine from this game (called SlaveDriver) to power that port (as well as their port of Quake to the Saturn). They were highly-regarded as developers who could get an abnormal amount of 3D performance out of the Saturn, whereas most developers struggled with the machine's architecture. A 2D powerhouse, the Saturn was a difficult mistress to get comparable (to PSone) polygon performance, as well as things like transparencies.

The relationship Exhumed has to Duke Nukem 3D is two-fold. Not only did DN3D end up on Saturn using Exhumed's engine, Exhumed ended up on PC using Build. Funny old world. The console versions of Exhumed blow the PC version away in my opinion. True 3D, light-sourcing, much better level designs. The PC port is some weird 2.5D interpretation that just smacks of laziness. Why they didn't use SlaveDriver on PC, I don't know.

Go.

User is offline   Ronin 

On the N64, Turok 1, 2, and 3, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark. On the Xbox, Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (not much of a shooting game though). Halo: Reach was pretty fun on 360.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

User is offline   Martin 

Was more after a 'one at a time' sort of thing, where you say why you like it. For sure, the N64 had some great FPS games. You can probably trace the popularity of the genre on console back to GoldenEye 007. There were console-original FPS games before that (Turok on N64 being one, earlier in 1997). I thing GE can be crowned as the one that really made the genre explode on console. At the time it was a really amazing experience. It's also the first FPS I played where things had moved on from 'collect key cards of different colours to open doors', while still retaining a more old-school level design with respect to complexity. Each level was basically a playground, and you could get to the end, walk through the last door and trigger the end of the level and still fail (for not having completed all the objectives). The character animation was also very impressive at the time. Polygonal enemies with different hit-zones, and a variety of appropriate animations depending on where you shot them. They're hilarious now, of course. Back then it was really something, though. That's without mentioning the ground-breaking multiplayer. Great, great game. Hall of Fame-worthy, easily.

One I'd like to point out it Black for PS2 and Xbox (I can confirm it works nicely on 360).

I agree mostly with what Mark from CGR says about Black. It's an awesome spectacle. It's also a blast to play through! It's kind if like GoldenEye with respect to how you have objectives which must be completed, but it's more streamlined. Gone are the huge complex levels. Here we possibly see the beginning of the era of linearity in FPS, but it's nicely done. There are no health-regeneration mechanics, and on higher difficulties it is truly crushingly hard. Earning those golden guns is one of the toughest achievements I've ever done in any game. I can't remember, but I think there's some kind of weapon limit on this game? Two primaries, one sidearm, and a slot for rocket/grenade launchers? I can't remember. I'm pretty sure it's not one where you can have every gun in the game on you at once. When released, it was also a pretty astonishingly-beautiful game considering the age of the PS2. It emulated things which were coming through on higher-end PC cards at the time, like HDR and what have you. A lot of it is obviously faked, but still looks nice. The Xbox version looks no different, I have both.

It's mostly got the gameplay trappings of a run n' gun game, but with great linear levels and some nice set-pieces. Huge, huge battles. Again, finishing this one on Black Ops mode (the hardest setting) is absolutely brutal. Even Hard mode is very difficult. Black Ops mode is just insane. On lower settings, you can quite happily run n' gun your way through pretty much the entire game, and have a great time doing it. On Hard mode, you must take on some semblance of stealth here and there, or at least clever positioning and use of cover. On Black Ops mode, you must use cover like it's going out of style, and headshots become almost essential. Enemies start to have vast amounts of health on that mode, but one shot to the head will take them down.

Awesome game. You can get it from XBL as an Xbox Original, but I recommend just picking the disc up for your PS2 or Xbox/360. Dirty cheap, and extremely fun. If you ask me, this is linearity and scripted sequences done right. It doesn't let that overwhelm the experience, and ensures you are challenged.

User is offline   Kathy 

You forgot to mention beautiful guns animation in Black.

One thing I always love in games are guns design and reload animations. Loved reloading Red9/Mauser in RE4.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 08 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

User is offline   Martin 

Yep, I forgot that. I also forgot how awesome the soundtrack is. It's like the soundtrack to Heat. The sound design in general is spectacular in Black.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Yay Powerslave! The SlaveDriver engine looks really cool <_< The only thing that keeps me wondering is why on Earth they made the PC and console versions so different, they're de facto two separate games. I understand that Lobotomy's engine allowed for pretty different level design, and hub-type levels were getting popular back then, but this is even more different than Doom 64 (which, despite all its differences from any other port or version, can at least be viewed as a sequel to the original game).

I like the really awesome SNES version of Prince of Perisa. Not only it has more levels, enemies and bosses, very cool graphics and music, but the developers managed to preserve the feel of the original game better than any other console version (in my opinion, at least).

[Edit] Whoops, I got carried away, PoP isn't an FPS. Sorry! :huh:

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 09 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Was reading what Wikipedia had to say about Black, and there is an amazing little nugget on the game's sound design.

Realising in the chaos of a heavy gun battle the heavy mix of sound and music would produce a cacophony of noise, the sound designers developed the "choir of guns" concept. Whereas, traditionally in a shooter game, each weapon model would be assigned a different sound, Black assigns each enemy their own "voice", similar to the way in which each member of a choir would have their own distinct voice. For example, there are three enemies firing, one would be assigned a low voice, another a medium voice, and the third a high voice. This allows all the weapons being fired in any particular scene to harmonise and deliver a distinct sound for the game. Black's sound was nominated for Best Audio at 2006 BAFTA Video Games Awards, and won Best Art & Sound jointly with Burnout Revenge at the 2006 Develop Industry Excellence Awards.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Alien Resurrection was pretty awesome

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Alien Trilogy was the best FPS in the franchise done on any console. The levels are huge and detailed, the gameplay is fast and unforgiving, and the soundtrack is really damn good. AvP1 on the PC is the only game to top it.

Doom 64 was amazing. It's like a darker creepier version of Doom with a little Quake thrown in. All new levels, similar monsters and weapons redone with better sprites, and a new more ambient musical soundtrack.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 09 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

Doom 64 is my favourite Doom was my favourite Doom game, I found the creepy music a big step up from the originals soundtrack, that level with the babies crying in the backround is seriously disturbing. The sprites did look great even if some of them were missing some animations and the game did seem darker even though the lighting was brighter with some cool blue neon effects.

User is offline   Malgon 

I remember playing Alien Trilogy at my dad's friend's place years ago and thinking it was a rocking game. We must have played it all afternoon, just having a blast and being creeped out at the same time. Doom 64 is also a superb game Imo, with a great sense of atmosphere and just a fun game to play all round. Both of these games rock.

User is offline   Hool 

The Timesplitters Trilogy is definitely one of the best console FPS games series, if not the best. Frantic multiplayer action with tons of gameplay to boot! Comes with a cool map maker if you want to make your own levels.

User is offline   Mia Max 

View PostWheatleyNukem, on 11 April 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

The Timesplitters Trilogy is definitely one of the best console FPS games series, if not the best. Frantic multiplayer action with tons of gameplay to boot! Comes with a cool map maker if you want to make your own levels.

I totally agree with you.
I've always waited for a release of TS 3 on PC, but it never happened <_<
And I always was hoping that it will work on Xbox 360 with an update.
I haven't played it for years as I gave my Xbox away :huh:

User is offline   Hool 

View PostMia Max, on 16 April 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

I totally agree with you.
I've always waited for a release of TS 3 on PC, but it never happened <_<
And I always was hoping that it will work on Xbox 360 with an update.
I haven't played it for years as I gave my Xbox away :huh:

Well, in an Interview with Crytek UK (formally Free Radical, the devs of TP) they got asked about an HD re-release of the Timesplitters Trilogy and they responded with "Stay Tuned....". Also when they where asked about TP4, they responded with "We would love to crowd-fund TP4! Who's got fifty quid?"

Look like a bright future for Timesplitters.

You can read about it here:
http://timesplitters...pic,4889.0.html

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 16 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

User is offline   Mia Max 

View PostWheatleyNukem, on 16 April 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

Well, in an Interview with Crytek UK (formally Free Radical, the devs of TP) they got asked about an HD re-release of the Timesplitters Trilogy and they responded with "Stay Tuned....". Also when they where asked about TP4, they responded with "We would love to crowd-fund TP4! Who's got fifty quid?"

Look like a bright future for Timesplitters.

You can read about it here:
http://timesplitters...pic,4889.0.html

Sounds great!
But I won't expect anyrhing.
This was a big failure on DNF.

Medal of honor, it really made me feel like i was a ww2 soldier.
The first halo was also enjoyable at the time.

User is offline   LAW 

I agree for Exhumed, Black, Doom 64, MOH, Alien Trilogy and Resurrection. I think Alien Trilogy is even better than AVP Gold on PC and AVP on Jaguar. But why did you forget the beautiful Disruptor??? This and Exhumed are in my top ten even today!

that level with the babies crying in the backround is seriously disturbing
Oh yes, the Breakdown.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options