Duke4.net Forums: eDuke32 skills level > 4 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

eDuke32 skills level > 4  "defineskillname"

User is offline   m210® 

Hi! As you know, Blood have more skills level then Duke3D. therefore I tried to compile my eduke32.exe version with possibility to set more skills throught defineskillname.

So, I made it. If USER.CON have only defineskillname 0 "Name" you will see only this one "name" in menu and if USER.CON will have seven defines of skills, you will see a seven items of skills.
I'm attached source code of this update, eduke32.exe (based on 2529 release) and test_skills.map for test skills levels (it have 8 liztroopers which have lotag from 0 to 7)

Request eduke32 developers: Can you add this feature as an official for following your release?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0001.jpg

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by M210: 25 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Wow, good work, a lot of people needed that, thank you!

This post has been edited by Fox: 25 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   m210® 

Yeap, thanks) And I hope it will add in next official release. Feature need some tweaks, I can't make this tweaks, but I thinks developers can do it :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That actually looks pretty useful.

Does it work with monster lotags correctly? And do monsters respawn on all levels higher than 4?

I also wish it were possible to skip the difficulty screen entirely. There's no reason to have the screen at all if there is only one difficulty level.

Could it be possible to do this up to 10 skill levels [0 to 9], or is it just impossible to fit all of those on screen? [like scaling down the text to fit the number of skill levels all on screen]. My mod actually uses 10 very differing difficulty levels which have to be selected otherwise via a specialize starting map. >.> Having the option to directly run any usermap with skills 0 or 5-9 would be awesome if it could be pulled off and implemented. :)

Oh, on the subject of respawn. I don't think they respawn if the skill is higher than 4. I think it should be customizable in the future to set that option [or the option to remove or add respawning from other skill levels in the case you want your new > 4 skill levels to have respawning and not 4 itself].

This post has been edited by Lord Misfit: 25 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

User is offline   m210® 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 March 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Does it work with monster lotags correctly?

yes, I made a map for test it. enemies which have lotag 5 will avaible on map if playerskill = 5,
if playerskill = 6, then map will have enemies with lotag 5 and 6 etc.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 March 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

And do monsters respawn on all levels higher than 4?

no, a leave this code as is, monster respawn may do on playerskills = 4
if (x == 3) ud.m_respawn_monsters = 1;
            else ud.m_respawn_monsters = 0;

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It seems like it would be cleaner to offer a way for people to just remove the hardcoded skill level entirely and let people deal with it themselves it they so chose, as Dan mentioned.

User is offline   m210® 

View PostLord Misfit, on 25 March 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Could it be possible to do this up to 10 skill levels [0 to 9], or is it just impossible to fit all of those on screen?

It's may possible, but I limited skills to 7, because it doesn't fit on the screen, but I think it is somehow possible to correct :) For example throught correct position of text at menu

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostPlagman, on 25 March 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

It seems like it would be cleaner to offer a way for people to just remove the hardcoded skill level entirely and let people deal with it themselves it they so chose, as Dan mentioned.

Same with episodes. It would be nice to just hit New Game and skip to a defined map.

User is offline   Fox 

Yeah, I always tought of that too. Currently Eduke use some ugly hack to always display the first 3 episodes as support to version 1.3. We should at least have an option to disable that in mods.

It can only be logical to give an option to skip episode selection screen (like Doom II or Duke Nukem 64) and skill screen too for the sake of mods.

This post has been edited by Fox: 25 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

While we're at it:
Whenever I start an episode or a user map through the NEW GAME menu, the preselected skill level is always LET'S ROCK. It would be nice if this could be changed by a configuration file entry since I guess most people prefer COME GET SOME.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostLord Misfit, on 25 March 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Could it be possible to do this up to 10 skill levels [0 to 9], or is it just impossible to fit all of those on screen? [like scaling down the text to fit the number of skill levels all on screen]. My mod actually uses 10 very differing difficulty levels which have to be selected otherwise via a specialize starting map. >.> Having the option to directly run any usermap with skills 0 or 5-9 would be awesome if it could be pulled off and implemented. :)

I thought you had a cheat code to allow difficulty selection when warping between maps, but it's been a long time since I played Naferia's Reign, so...

User is offline   m210® 

ok, then I will wait a news for you :)

Btw, can you add a feature like as pskyoff[] for making a new backgrouds in our mods?

User is offline   Fox 

You can draw textures in Event_displayrooms, but that's faaar from perfect.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Helixhorned just submitted your patch after tweaking it, btw:

http://dukeworld.duk.../20120325-2534/

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Very cool addition. I always felt like Duke could have used an Ultra-Violence equivalent.

User is offline   Hank 

To first post - So, how does that work? Skill 0 to 2 leave dead actors dead. Skill level 3 all dead actors come back alive (you need to destroy them). Therefore my question: Level 4 to 7, do the actors come alive as well? Very view play with Damn I'm Good.

This post has been edited by Hank: 25 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 25 March 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Very cool addition. I always felt like Duke could have used an Ultra-Violence equivalent.

Me too. I like playing on Damn I'm Good because of the increased enemy numbers per level, but it's always annoying to have to double-tap them with explosives. It turns the respawning enemies challenge into a distracting gimmick.

Achenar: Yeah DNS# does change difficulty in NR, but it's still something I wish the menu had in terms of selecting the difficulty level for individual usermaps, since you can't warp directly to a specfic usermap name from the current map (only specfic episodes and their levels within). [unless some kind of support for that could be added in somehow]

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHank, on 25 March 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

To first post - So, how does that work? Skill 0 to 2 leave dead actors dead. Skill level 3 all dead actors come back alive (you need to destroy them). Therefore my question: Level 4 to 7, do the actors come alive as well? Very view play with Damn I'm Good.

The existing maps and CON code are designed for only 4 levels of difficulty. What the new feature does is put infrastructure in place so that modifications can use higher levels of difficulty. It won't change anything about the old game.

User is offline   LSDNinja 

How much would disabling the respawning on "Damn I'm Good" (I never realised you could stop it by using explosive weapons. Makes sense though, now that I think about it...) break with regards to the main mission? "Come Get Some" is starting to get a little too easy (for eps 1 and 2 at least, but even 3 and 4 aren't too bad once you get past "Raw Meat" and "It's Impossible" respectively), but having the enemies respawn puts me off making the jump to DIG (It's also the reason I simply can't stand Serious Sam as well). Could it even be done?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It'd actually be nice to be able to disable the respawns on DIG through the menu. Then you'd have an all new skill level compatible with every map/mod ever made that took advantage of the skill system.

User is offline   LSDNinja 

I was thinking more along the lines of disabling the spawning in DIG and then possibly adding a fifth option (which is what this patch allows for, assuming I understand correctly) to reenable it, but what you suggest would probably be easier/better from a backward compatibility standpoint...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

In GAME.CON, all the monsters have a block of code that starts with "ifrespawn". That condition is true on DIG, and also if they are set to respawn in multiplayer. So what you want to do is disable respawns on DIG without messing up multiplayer.

The simplest way would be to do a global find/replace in GAME.CON and replace all instances of "ifrespawn" with "ifmultiplayer ifrespawn".

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Cheers, that's a much better solution. I figured it was something hardcoded. I didn't even think about looking in the cons.

BTW, on the subject of the new difficulty levels, is there a way to implent a sound to play when the three new difficulty levels are selected[like Duke's talk on the original four], or is that somethng doable in CON right now?

User is offline   m210® 

View PostLord Misfit, on 25 March 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

BTW, on the subject of the new difficulty levels, is there a way to implent a sound to play when the three new difficulty levels are selected[like Duke's talk on the original four], or is that somethng doable in CON right now?

I thinks it's need a new con_feature for this.
I didn't add sound to new skills levels because I don't know how con-codes works throught duke source code

View PostFox, on 25 March 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

You can draw textures in Event_displayrooms, but that's faaar from perfect.

Are you mean showview command?

User is offline   Fox 

View PostAchenar, on 25 March 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Me too. I like playing on Damn I'm Good because of the increased enemy numbers per level,

Technically Damn I'm Good has the same amount of enemies of Come Get Some and was only added in Plutonium Pack. However for User Maps it may be different...

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostFox, on 25 March 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

Technically Damn I'm Good has the same amount of enemies of Come Get Some and was only added in Plutonium Pack. However for User Maps it may be different...

What? Damn I'm Good wasn't added in the Plutonium Pak. Also, some maps probably do have extra monsters that only show up on Damn I'm Good as there were originally 5 skill levels and I doubt they found every enemy and checked the tags a couple of weeks before release.

Also, the number of episodes displayed in the menu is controlled by whatever episode was defined last. If you only define one episode, you only get one episode.

Is there a way to remove the user maps "episode"?

View PostLord Misfit, on 25 March 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

I haven't tried it. But the current_menu constantly updated gamevar seems to control what menu you are in. Maybe you can use it.

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 26 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options