Duke4.net Forums: Laptop - small non-resizable windows too small - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Laptop - small non-resizable windows too small  "Can't see all buttons and drop down menus"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I've got a strange issue that only appears on my laptop. It wasn't always this way and I'm not sure what I did to change it and no matter what I've tried I can't seem to make it go away. As is evident by this screenshot I've taken, the EDuke32 setup window is too small so I can't access the drop down menu to choose which folder I want to select to run the game from. This isn't exclusive to EDuke32 either. Some other programs (like the setup programs for AGS games) with similar type windows act in the same way. I've tried changing resolutions, disabling Aero, turning off that laptop crisp text thing but nothing seems to work. Anyone run into this or have any ideas? My screen resolution is 1080p so it's not like my display is too small to show the whole window.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: eduke32_noresize.jpg

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

User is offline   Hank 

^ try to set your default fonts 'small'
In Windows
Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Make Text Size ... > Smaller

It worked on my laptop. Posted Image

User is offline   LSDNinja 

It looks as though your DPI setting may be out of whack. To check that, right click the desktop (this is Windows 7, right? Vista might be similar, but I never really used it so I can't be sure) and select "Screen Resolution" from the context menu. From there click the "Make text and other items larger or smaller" link and make sure it's set to 100%. If it is, click the "Set custom text size (DPI)" link in the side bar and make sure that too is 100%

If those both look fine then the only other thing I can think of is that your UI fonts have been boosted in size a little. To check that you have to bring up the "Personalisation" window which can be done either through the control panel (if you still have the DPI adjustment window open you can click "All Control Panel Items" in the address bar and then "Personalisation") or by right clicking the desktop and selecting "Personalise". From there click "Window Colour", then "Advanced appearance settings" and then check the font size on each of the "Active Title Bar", "Icon", "Inactive Title Bar", "Menu", "Message Box", "Palette Title", "Selected Items" and "ToolTip" entries in the "Item:" drop down. Default is Segoe UI at 9pts (at least on my system), but you can change it to anything you want.

Beyond that, I have no idea... :)

This post has been edited by LSDNinja: 11 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHank, on 11 March 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

^ try to set your default fonts 'small'
In Windows
Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Make Text Size ... > Smaller

It worked on my laptop. Posted Image

Thank you. This was the issue. It was set to 125% for some reason. Fixed now. Everything is much smaller now though! lol

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options