Duke4.net Forums: Megaupload: Kim Dotcom’s First TV Interview Since Being Arrested - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Megaupload: Kim Dotcom’s First TV Interview Since Being Arrested  "Megaupload"

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

For some odd reason this doesn't work for me in my country, even though I am from New Zealand, I suspect that it is to force us Kiwis to visit the damn main website for the host to watch it.
But if that video doesn't play you can try this link, which I had to watch it from.

http://www.3news.co....30/Default.aspx

No legal document has ever reached us from any of these studios. The only thing that we get is Takedown Notices and them using the direct delete access on our website. So, isn’t it surprising to you that when I’m the pirate king and I’m causing all this damage that none of them has ever even attempted to sue us, to sue us for damages, you know? If you would run a business that loses billions of dollars because of me, you wouldn’t just sit there and do nothing. I mean, this investigation was ongoing for over two years, you know, the company was live for over seven years, the MPAA has always thrown names at us and called us all kinds of things but they’ve never actually done anything to you know, take us to court and for the very simple reason that there is a law in the US that protects us which is the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that protects online service providers from actions of their users and this is the same law that allowed Google to still exist, that allowed YouTube to still exist. You know that Viacom sued YouTube and YouTube claimed that they were protected by the DMCA and they won. And if you look at the YouTube case files, the emails that were exchanged internally we are a lamb compared to what was going on at YouTube at the time but these guys got away. They won their lawsuit and I’m sitting in jail, my house is being raided, all my assets are frozen without a trial, without a hearing. This is completely insane, is what it is.

This post has been edited by Cody: 02 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I can partially understand where Kim Dotcom is coming from, but he really can't escape from the fact that Megaupload was being used very blatantly as a file-sharing website (and he even admitted it), which YouTube at the very least has made efforts to combat. I know he's hired a very good lawyer, and he's probably going to use the extremely vague and convoluted copyright law to his advantage (the fact that the case transcended borders is probably going to make it even more of a whirlwind).

User is offline   Jeff 

I agree with Kim on the fact that he's not really responsible for the people that upload stuff. He said we have a TOS agreement which says don't upload stuff that is not yours (copyright infringement), so if people don't read that and just upload it anyways, he's not really responsible for the actions of users. He just provides the site as a service to store files and such.

User is offline   Hank 

Well, I guess he spoke the truth that his lawyers work for free; or he only has those left willing to work for free. I think he should never have given that interview.
He said that movies published in the US are available six month later in Europe; and that there is a demand for those movies by people that do not wish to wait that long. And continued to lament about the US fight to maintain the status quo for the current movie/music distribution. Then, if you rewind the video to near the beginning: he claims he has no knowledge, what so ever, what people might upload on his network. - Even I could wring that paradox out of him. Anyway. I think he is finished if he doesn't keep his mouth shut. Megaupload worked within the law, and the US overstepped their boundaries by heaps; but if they planed to trap him and dry him out for the next few month, it looks like he is the proper fall guy for them. :lol:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 02 March 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

I can partially understand where Kim Dotcom is coming from, but he really can't escape from the fact that Megaupload was being used very blatantly as a file-sharing website (and he even admitted it), which YouTube at the very least has made efforts to combat. I know he's hired a very good lawyer, and he's probably going to use the extremely vague and convoluted copyright law to his advantage (the fact that the case transcended borders is probably going to make it even more of a whirlwind).

But there is nothing inherently wrong with file-sharing. In my opinion, he's totally protected by the DMCA and MegaUpload's TOS. I also find it very fishy, like he said, that they never took any real action against him.

User is offline   Hank 

^ because if the law enforcement tyrants would actually stick to their own laws, they wont appease the music industry.

Not sure where to put this, Major Tom disliked his thread growing to many pages, hopefully Cody doesn't mind, cross topic references
Another site was shut down for music.

Like the US, the UK goes over and above rational law enforcing in behest of the entertainment industry. In the UK, it does not matter if you deal in human traffic, coke or download a song, you are now the target of SOCA. Wow.
http://www.zdnet.co....-jail-40095047/

Fuck them all. :lol:

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

It's the systematic destruction of your rights in an effort to keep the nannystate afloat. A new one spreading across Europe is giving the police access to your finances during a traffic stop and writing tickets according to where you work and how much money you make. They are doing this now in Greece and Italy. People should be very concerned because it's far more likely to effect them than obscure file sharing laws. Furthermore, it's going to extend to the auto companies because nobody is going to want to be seen driving a nice car for fear of getting pulled over and ticketed unfairly.

Kim Dotcom wins expenses court battle

Kim Dotcom has chalked up another court victory this morning.
The German-born New Zealand resident is being allowed to retain some of what US authorities claim are ill-gotten gains.
A High Court judge who heard Dotcom's appeal against the seizure of money and assets is allowing the Megaupload founder to get some cash back, and also a Mercedes Benz 4WD to use.
Justice Judith Potter ruled he can receive $20,000 a month living expenses, the money to come from the interest on a $10 million investment in Government bonds.
He will also receive $301,000, paid to him in $40,000 monthly instalments.
The 38-year-old founder of file-sharing website Megaupload had his bank accounts and assets seized following a spectacular police raid on his $30 million rented mansion in Coatesville, north of Auckland in January.
Dotcom is awaiting extradition to the United States, where he is facing charges of racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering in relation to the site.

Meanwhile, a date is still to be set for a judge to decide whether a procedural error made when documents were filed to seize Dotcom's property will mean the return of all his assets.

NZN / RadioLIVE

User is offline   Hank 

since you brought this back alive, the MPAA is also making news on this.

from this article http://gizmodo.com/5...future-lawsuits

MPAA Wants Megaupload Data Saved for Its Future Lawsuits.

Don't panic, the MPAA promises that they won't sue end users—though that has never stopped them before. "The reason we did that filing [was] that there is a possibility that litigation might be pursued against Megaupload or various intermediaries involved in Megaupload's operation. We're not talking about individual users," Howard Gantman, a MPAA vice president, told Wired. The court has set a hearing for next month to discuss the matter.

MPAA wants to sue as many as possible. My question now is: what exactly does the FBI have as evidence against MegaUpload if the MPAA wants more? Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I hope he's able to play over the system and get all of his shit back. He may be an asshole, but at least he's not the bigger asshole here.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That interviewer is quite annoying to listen to.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The whole thing was just ridiculous, if not unconstitutional.

In the end USA government will pay a gigantic amount of money of damages because of the time he spent in jail plus a colossal reparation for the money MegaUpload lost during the time it was closed.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostFox, on 23 March 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

In the end USA government will pay a gigantic amount of money of damages because of the time he spent in jail plus a colossal reparation for the money MegaUpload lost during the time it was closed.

USA government?
Pay money?

You have so much more faith in our government than we do.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 March 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

That interviewer is quite annoying to listen to.

If you are talking about the video in the first post could you tell why this is?

• The Sarien Encounter

He talks sooo sloooow and almost condescendingly.

Did you have the video on half speed or something?
But I think it is because you dont understand the Kiwi acent. :)

Am I the only one that finds his Dotcom name to be pure ironic comedy ?
It almost sounds like it's a nickname given to the famous guy that used to run the biggest file sharing site that couldn't be taken down until 1 or 2 months ago.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 26 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's not his real name by the way. He had it legally changed to that. lols.

And I'm with Cody. He just sounds like your typical sure-worded interviewer.

• The Sarien Encounter

I know the accent, and it doesn't bother me. I don't know maybe it was just the way he worded the first couple questions. I listened to the first bit and then the guy just started annoying me too much to continue.

Thats why he is so great at his job and rated the best here.

• The Sarien Encounter

It could also have very well been that I was just very tired and cranky already when I watched it. :)

Who wants to see Kim Dotcom racing on the Nürburgring ring and listening to his music? <_<

Apparently the final edit was seized by the FBI during the Megaupload raid.

Also he has pushed out this music track.

To understand this music track better it is best to read this.
http://www.3news.co....30/Default.aspx
or watch http://www.3news.co....30/Default.aspx

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This guy is a douchebag deluxe.

I think he is pretty epic myself.
Only thing I never liked was the commercial filed,wait time megaupload.com site...

Judge declares Dotcom search warrants illegal

http://www.3news.co....56/Default.aspx

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

What a coincidence. Kim Dotcom gets his assets seized. A month later, Hostess files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Descent: 28 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

http://www.3news.co....99/Default.aspx (New Zealand Government admits illegally spying on Dotcom)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yay for government!

Not sure what to make of this.

Prime Minister John Key to Dotcom: "I'm sorry"

http://www.stuff.co....otcom-I-m-sorry

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options