Duke4.net Forums: I think I might have found some good level planning software... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I think I might have found some good level planning software...  "Autodesk 123D Sketching/CAD"

User is offline   WedgeBob 

So I was looking around for some software that I could use outside of BUILD/Mapster32 that I could use to help plan new levels and sprite models to use in EDuke32. Now I know that most of the stuff Autodesk puts out are in the ka-ching ka-ching price ranges. However, lately, they've also put out a lot of useful apps for free as well. Well, here's one of those such tools. I just fell in love with using this, and seems to be a legitimate replacement for the old grid paper and pencil. What are your thoughts on this piece of software? Do you think this would work well in the level design department? Do you think there should be a mod/plugin to take level sketches made in here and export them right into Mapster32? Just a thought...

http://www.123dapp.com/123D

I know this could belong in the Software section of the forum, but for reasons of using this as a level design aid, felt that it could serve a purpose here, too. Something for the EDuke32 team to consider adding into the pipeline of helpful tools.
Perhaps taking 2D top-down sketches made from here and having a tool to convert them into sectors for Mapster32 could be a thought.

This post has been edited by WedgeBob: 04 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostWedgeBob, on 04 February 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

So I was looking around for some software that I could use outside of BUILD/Mapster32 that I could use to help plan new levels and sprite models to use in EDuke32. Now I know that most of the stuff Autodesk puts out are in the ka-ching ka-ching price ranges. However, lately, they've also put out a lot of useful apps for free as well. Well, here's one of those such tools. I just fell in love with using this, and seems to be a legitimate replacement for the old grid paper and pencil. What are your thoughts on this piece of software? Do you think this would work well in the level design department? Do you think there should be a mod/plugin to take level sketches made in here and export them right into Mapster32? Just a thought...

http://www.123dapp.com/123D

I know this could belong in the Software section of the forum, but for reasons of using this as a level design aid, felt that it could serve a purpose here, too. Something for the EDuke32 team to consider adding into the pipeline of helpful tools.
Perhaps taking 2D top-down sketches made from here and having a tool to convert them into sectors for Mapster32 could be a thought.

I can't resist downloading a new program.
Just one thing, I use mapster to 'sketch' and test quickly my ideas. To date, I think mapster is the easiest idea - sketch up - finalize - release a map program out there. Posted Image

[added]
Yeah, it just occurred to me, the only advantage of this program is its User Interface. This is the only thing lacking for mapster32 - a GUI.

This post has been edited by Hank: 04 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostHank, on 04 February 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

I can't resist downloading a new program.
Just one thing, I use mapster to 'sketch' and test quickly my ideas. To date, I think mapster is the easiest idea - sketch up - finalize - release a map program out there. Posted Image

[added]
Yeah, it just occurred to me, the only advantage of this program is its User Interface. This is the only thing lacking for mapster32 - a GUI.

sorry for posting here...
i thought someone could help

using exhumed tiles graphics

how can i insert graphics from another game that has a nother set of pallettes ?

i remember bck in the days i did use exhumed graphics for duke 3d but how?

because there is this palette difference between teh two... how can i make this work?

is there a wya to convert hte bmps ?

please someone help me also editart wont work for windows i use bastart but it cant use weapons from other palettes

i am a noob.. it would be very great.

User is offline   thatguy 

I think using a pen and paper is the best. :D You use less visual help and more imagination. When level designing you are best utilizing your creative senses more than logical, because you find that great ideas start out creative. I will never touch a CAD program ever for level design.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options