Duke4.net Forums: 1 Week / 1638 walls [i.e. 1 month / as many walls as you like] CBP - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 Week / 1638 walls [i.e. 1 month / as many walls as you like] CBP  "So yeah, the map is already finished!!"

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

ACTUAL STATUS: POLISHING

After some of us were working with several mini maps (made in 1 hour more or less) Forge put forward the idea of another 2 hour cbp (the other one here and here)

The only rule is to make your zone of the map in max. 2 hours, there's no limit for areas made by person, but every mapper has to wait his(/her?) turn. This formula has worked very well in the past.

Added: We've been discussing about the best way to get this project done, considering free time, mapping speed, and other factors, we came with the idea to give the mappers one week or 1638 walls (whichever comes first) so, if someone wants to use his walls before the end of the week or not is up to the him, this way people feel less pressured and they map whatever and whenever they want. Hope this new limits attract some more people.

• Captain Awesome
  • Forge
  • High Treason
  • Maarten van Oostrum
  • Merlijn van Oostrum
  • Micky C
  • Mike Norvak
  • Mister Sinister
  • Quakis
  • William Gee

This post has been edited by Norvak: 24 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Maarten van Oostrum has also volunteered to join. Now we're up to four mappers, so we have some momentum going, but there's room for a few more.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Historically 2 hour cbp's had around 10 people. If you plan to keep it a 2hr cbp then you'll probably want the participation near that number or the map's going to be real short

• Music Producer

View PostMicky C, on 01 February 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

Maarten van Oostrum has also volunteered to join. Now we're up to four mappers, so we have some momentum going, but there's room for a few more.

We need at least other 4 mappers, tha last cpb were made by 10 poeple. Sure anyone can spend 2 hours, since we already spend 1 1/2 with those maps :D
And has been a while since the last cbp.
Maybe we can start planning and mapping, so other people feel insterest.

EDIT: Echoing what Forge already said.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 03 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Sure; I can start tinkering with some things on Thursday. Want me to start?

• Music Producer

View PostSupertanker, on 01 February 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

Sure; I can start tinkering with some things on Thursday. Want me to start?

Yeah, no prob, you can use concrete on space again XD

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I could maybe contribute some in the middle. I've been trying to get back into mapping.

User is offline   Forge 

If you don't get any more takers after the weekend maybe take the six or seven people you have, drop the 2hr limit, and make it a regular cbp if the current participants agree. Let the mappers build as much as they want so you can get some length to the map. Obviously the 2 hour limit is just too intimidating for some to handle.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 03 February 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

If you don't get any more takers after the weekend maybe take the six or seven people you have, drop the 2hr limit, and make it a regular cbp if the current participants agree. Let the mappers build as much as they want so you can get some length to the map. Obviously the 2 hour limit is just too intimidating for some to handle.

I agree with Forge. In the old days, people had the opposite problem of being intimidated by no time limit, because they felt their part had to be awesome and perfect. Thus, each person kept the map for too long and the CBP would take forever to finish. The 1 hour CPB was done as a gimmick among experienced mappers, and it was so successful that super short time limits have become standard for CPBs now. But the problem is when you have less experienced mappers, the short time becomes intimidating.

So I would suggest having a time limit, but making it much longer, like an entire week. And if someone wants to finish sooner, then they always have that option. Another possibility would be giving each mapper a wall limit. For example if there are 7 mappers total, then each mapper could use up to 2000 walls.

• Music Producer

View PostDeeperThought, on 03 February 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

I agree with Forge. In the old days, people had the opposite problem of being intimidated by no time limit, because they felt their part had to be awesome and perfect. Thus, each person kept the map for too long and the CBP would take forever to finish. The 1 hour CPB was done as a gimmick among experienced mappers, and it was so successful that super short time limits have become standard for CPBs now. But the problem is when you have less experienced mappers, the short time becomes intimidating.

So I would suggest having a time limit, but making it much longer, like an entire week. And if someone wants to finish sooner, then they always have that option. Another possibility would be giving each mapper a wall limit. For example if there are 7 mappers total, then each mapper could use up to 2000 walls.

Yeah I'm gonna think about it, and wait after the weekend as Forge suggest. Anyway there's always the risk the map can't be finished or take too long if we give more time to the mappers...

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Rather combine the two limits. Otherwise you end up having two persons, one holds the map for a week without doing much of anything until the last hour while the other comes up with a massive (maybe at the expense of details) segment.

I'm not really experienced mapper,but i'd like to participate in this CBP :D

• Music Producer

View PostMister Sinister, on 03 February 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

I'm not really experienced mapper,but i'd like to participate in this CBP :D

Well you don't really need to be such an experienced mapper, anyway I remember you released some good puzzle Xmas map, right?

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 03 February 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Rather combine the two limits. Otherwise you end up having two persons, one holds the map for a week without doing much of anything until the last hour while the other comes up with a massive (maybe at the expense of details) segment.

Yeah that sounds more feasible.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 03 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Well you don't really need to be such an experienced mapper, anyway I remember you released some good puzzle Xmas map, right?

Yeah,right,also i released an episode and a canyon themed map.
Anyway,you can put me in the list,i'll try to make something descent.

• Music Producer

View PostMister Sinister, on 03 February 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Yeah,right,also i released an episode and a canyon themed map.
Anyway,you can put me in the list,i'll try to make something descent.

Oh yeah sorry, I forgot to list you.

EDIT:

I've inluded Quakis to the list. Also we are discussing some ideas about the theme, and how to implement it.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 03 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

• Music Producer

I've added a poll to the main post, this may help to decide the limits of the project.
EDIT: Not only the listed people should vote but any other mapper, interested or not interested about joining the project.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 05 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

User is online   Sangman 

I'm confused - isn't this exactly how we used to make CBP's back in the day (actually not that long ago)

• Music Producer

We have changed the rules for the project's sake. Updated in first post.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSangman, on 07 February 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I'm confused - isn't this exactly how we used to make CBP's back in the day (actually not that long ago)

Well I don't remember what the official rules were that you guys agreed to back then, maybe they were the same. But I do remember that some CPBs would drag on and on for months and sometimes a year, so if those were the rules then they were not enforced.

User is offline   Gambini 

I was about to join this CBP, but now seeing it changed to one week, i prefer to restrain myself as i wont have so much time.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNorvak, on 31 January 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

one week or 1638 walls (whichever comes first) so, if someone wants to use his walls before the end of the week or not is up to the him, this way people feel less pressured and they map whatever and whenever they want.

It sounds like you are saying that someone has to either work on the map for an entire week, or use 1638 walls. But I thought the idea was that those were upper limits and someone could work on the map for less time or make fewer walls if they wanted. It would be a shame to lose great mappers such as Gambini over a misunderstanding.

User is offline   Forge 

I think you're reading too much into it. The idea was to give the mapper the project to do with as they please for one week (with a wall limit). We figured a week was sufficient time to be able to build as well as deal with daily life such as work, school, etc. The mapper can max their build or do very little with it, but after a week (or less if they're done) the map must be passed on to keep the cbp from being held up.

If this CBP works like that, you can sign me up as I never got around to the 1½ Hour CBP¹ and I like having excuses to play with Mapster, that, and it would make everyone elses work look better... But if Gambini decides that he wants to sign up, you'd be better off allowing him to join the project as my puny mapping skills do not compare.

¹ This was due to me being too busy, finishing the AdLib pack, being mildly ill and my server deciding to crap itself and die were among these reasons, I do have other things I am working on, but they can go on hold if needed as there is no reason to push them out quickly.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

One of my mini maps was causing crashes so I held off on releasing the pack for the time being. You can still make something for the 1.5 hour thing if you want.

View PostMicky C, on 08 February 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

You can still make something for the 1.5 hour thing if you want.

Oh! that´s a relief! Tell me if you change your mind so i scrap my 90 minutes.

@DT: Sorry for making you trying to help but I was merely trolling them :D

This post has been edited by Gambini: 08 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

• Music Producer

View PostGambini, on 08 February 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Yeah I did know it!!! :D

EDIT: I've used about 1/3 of limit and still have about 4 days to finish, the map is coming along nicely so far.

View PostDeeperThought, on 07 February 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

I thought the idea was that those were upper limits and someone could work on the map for less time or make fewer walls if they wanted.

Yeah that's basically the idea, maybe I didn't state it correctly, but everybody seems ok to use all their walls/time.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 08 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

This map is going to be fun to play :D

User is offline   Forge 

View PostGambini, on 08 February 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Oh! that´s a relief! Tell me if you change your mind so i scrap my 90 minutes.

we know you're trolling. you complained that 2 hours was too short and now 1 week is too long :D

you already scrapped about 30 years so what's 90 more minutes? :D

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Not all that time were a waste. I had a great time with your wife the other night :D

User is offline   Forge 

lol!

I know that's not true. she's older than 9

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options