Duke4.net Forums: [Release] Cherenkov Station - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Release] Cherenkov Station  "A uniquely gritty, mechanical space station!"

Right, I've tried this map now and it all seems to work fine, architechture is nice, maybe a little short on detail in some places but this may be intentional as it actually helps the feeling of isolation that this level seems to leave you with.

All-in-all, an enjoyable experience.

User is offline   Gambini 

Just played this piece of map! Very good! I never liked moon station maps but because they were never like this one. Took me 15 minutes. The gameplay was very entertaining and balanced, it kept me excited the whole time. Although i missed getting stuck at least by some minutes. It seems like everything you need to advance is at sight. A little more intrincated layout would have been cool.

The design is also very good, with nice architecture and lighting and the right amount of trimming. Loved how the reactor comes alive.

I don´t remember the setting of your previous map Area 27 but i do remember it was very good too, although i can´t tell if this is an improvement (should refresh my mind replaying your previous map).

View PostSupertanker, on 15 January 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

Thank you for the kind words :> Hell Station is one of my favorite levels, but I haven't played it in ages and ages. I specifically tried not to draw from any particular map for inspiration (besides E1, actually).

Np. The map I called "O-Polaris" is actually the map name (don't know what I was thinking). The name of the mod is "Polaris Outpost". It is also one of the great space maps IMO.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 16 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Thanks you two :unsure:

I think this is better than Area 27 (desert base) in some ways. To be specific: less generic, more specific locations, MUCH better gameflow and weapons placement and a sense of HA HA TAKE THAT YOU BATTLE-LORD SCUM, I'M DUKE NUKEM AND I'M COMING TO REDECORATE YOUR ENTIRE PLANET WITH TEA COZIES!!!1oneone that was missing from Area 27. (Area 27's ending was...meh. A good example of looks > gameplay.)

However, I think Area27 was better in terms of detail and strong shading, even though it lacked the atmosphere and nice big open spaces that Cherenkov has. Well, it had open spaces--you just couldn't get to them :P I still love the "middle" area of Area 27 (the science labs with all the complicated airducts) in terms of design. You kept winding in and out of an area while being able to see where you were going to be going through windows and such. Still, they're both enjoyable maps and they were both very fun for me to design them!

Edit: Oh, I remember that map! I played it ages and ages ago. The exploding spaceships in the docks were a nice touch! I should go back and organize my giant collection of duke maps. I have a few hundred on my hard drive at the very least. Including part of the old FTP repository. Still find gems in there every once in awhile.

This post has been edited by Supertanker: 15 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

Just finished this map and it was really good. There were a few times where you could have put in a lot more detail, and some places had a weird texture choice. But there were also placed where you did those things excelent. Gameplaywise i think this was a really fun map. 9/10.

View PostSupertanker, on 15 January 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Edit: Oh, I remember that map! I played it ages and ages ago. The exploding spaceships in the docks were a nice touch! I should go back and organize my giant collection of duke maps. I have a few hundred on my hard drive at the very least. Including part of the old FTP repository. Still find gems in there every once in awhile.

I dont remember Polaris Outpost having "exploding spaceships", but it has been a while, mabye I need to replay it to refresh my memory. Are we talking about the same map? It is availible at the repository. think it was made in '97 if I'm not mistaken. That map had some of the best secret areas I have ever seen.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 16 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

just finished this, took me around 20 minutes, nothing to fault really, solid design, nice shadows and atmosphere, detailed environment with all those broken doors, sound effects... little to no texturing mistakes, very clean (maybe a little too much, sometimes it looked a bit bland). The gameplay flows very nicely too, maybe a bit too much to my liking (some might disagree, but I personally like long and twisted maps). The last two fights were cool ! It was kind of funny / unique too, to see some texturing / detailing techniques that are commonly used in city maps, in a space map. Pretty good effort.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 16 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Two other Lunar greats in my opinion: "Beta Two" and "Observatory".

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 16 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Beta Two is quite possibly my very favorite Duke Nukem map, ever. :> It's big and sprawling and has all sorts of nifty locations that improved on its predecessor (Beta One) quite a bit.

Heh, I like how most people seem to like the odd choice of textures. Now you've all got me wondering: COULD concrete be used as a building material in space?

Curious...

User is offline   Gambini 

Weight doesn´t matter in space as it matters in earth, so if here we use concrete here why not using it in there? :unsure: Imagine they can elaborate some kind of mortar with moon ground and lime.

The only issue I would see is that A. Concrete needs water and B. Assuming you have that water, you then need air and heat for the concrete to set. Pre-fabrication would certainly work though, but I can't see them carting lumps of concrete up into space. There is also a potential issue with how it bears load, Concrete is very strong under compression, but under tension it can be quite weak, I have no idea how this would effect the material in space.

It doesn't really matter too much, who knows what they'll be building space stations out of in the future.

User is offline   Arwu 

Im just played on this map :unsure: It's great and keeps my attention from beginning to final battle :P it is very climatistic, I like monsters sound on beginning of level, its like a thriller ;p
Level is very solid and detailed and just by looking on this piece of work I want to mapping more! :D
Final battle become easy using Dukeplus (because of BFG) and everything is fine with HRP.. except for some misalligned textures but mthis is almost nothing if you ask me ..;)
Finished it two times for now and still missed one secret place, level have not irritating places or lack of items, very fun and had some replay ability because of these secrets :P, should be more of it ..
...finished it first time in about 45 minutes, second time 32 minutes, so length of map is OK
As I mentioned I played for now two times and one enemy always stuck in mirror and keeps shooting there ^^. stupid brat

Posted Image

Im rate Cherenkov station 9/10 compare to other frustrating levels and original Duke levels... Im still not see many of the best maps created by community.... Anyway, very good work and I always keep this map in my hard drive from now

User is offline   quakis 

Reviewed this over at my site, here.

User is offline   Arwu 

Its me again ;p ... And again about this trooper in mirror.
:unsure: why "behind mirror" sector is so big??
Posted Image

And this trooper always when he see me, he teleport to inside of mirror... maybe is good idea to move the "behind mirror" sector just from player valid space... or move this enemy a bit from there ?? .. just thinking..
Posted Image

Yea, mirror sectors don't need to be so big.

I believe the guideline is that the mirror sector has to be at least the size of the area that the player can view the mirror from.

I never knew you could put things inside mirrors... Reckon I'm going to poke around with that, I wonder if that could be utilised in some way somewhere.

View PostHigh Treason, on 24 January 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

I believe the guideline is that the mirror sector has to be at least the size of the area that the player can view the mirror from.

Which makes no sense to me. Try and make it smaller and see if it works. It does for me.

I had tried that when I had built the map. The first mirror had been almost exactly the size of the bathroom but I was getting HOM effects at certain angles. (The mirror was not overlapping then.) I kept increasing the sector size until the HOM effects stopped.

Nice catch on the trooper :unsure: I don't know why that never happened here.

Thanks for the review Quakis!

This post has been edited by Supertanker: 24 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

User is offline   Arwu 

As I know, limitation what High Treason wrote exist only in older versions of Duke Nukem (1.3 and earlier(?)).
First, I thought Supertanker made that big sector because he wants this map compatible with older versions, but these some textures and for example new beasts are only in atomic edition so thats not the point. . Maybe he drunk to much when making this mirror :D ;) :P
EDIT:
oh. Supertanker jumps in when I writing post :unsure:
so I have my answer :P

This post has been edited by Arwu: 24 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options