Duke4.net Forums: ArenaQ - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ArenaQ  "Small map- please help novice mapper"

User is offline   Arwu 

HI ! :unsure: After fight with myself I decided to show my little first map on forum (why not), layout is based on Quake2 collosseum multiplayer map.
I'm creating it (started almost two weeks ago) for playing with my friend, This map is almost finished (about ~90% for now)

Im expect some critic opinions here so please feel free to constructive criticism about it, Does anyone on the forum is interested about a such small map ?? Maybe someone points me how I doing bad with constructing, Im do not want to stick to bad habits on beginning

my map is ok with both HRP and software mode
Now, I start real map, maybe Im finish it within next few months :P :P (I hope eDuke32 never "die")

EDIT:
map is finished and here is the new attachment:

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Arwu: 29 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Seems pretty open and has detail. I don't play multiplayer though so I'm not sure how it would play.

User is offline   Mark 

It is a good start for a first map. My suggestion is do not use so many different textures.

User is offline   Arwu 

Thanks :unsure: as for textures, Im reduced a bit of it , should look more equally now

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't think too many textures is the problem, I thought it looked good. But there was an excessive use of colours for my personal taste, but I got used to it as I moved around. I also liked the mist effects. Since it's symmetrical I'm guessing it can be used for Duke tag? Although I know almost nothing about the Duke tag mode so that's just a wild guess. Overall it's pretty solid though, and I'd definitely like to see a regular map from you Posted Image

User is offline   Arwu 

Thanks for opinions :unsure:
Im polished also some colors here and here, added new features to map, put a weapons/other items and enemies . Ah, my friend liked this map, it is sad that my friends do not play Duke. . But two of them loved this game because of me :P
also it is a shame that I run into this community too late. .
And for my new map, I want to make something original so first I have to think about some ideas about design, layout and overall structure of my new map :D .

EDIT: Micky, I also know nothing about DukeTag :P this map is designed for dukematch from beginning but of course I can change if somebody wants ;)

This post has been edited by Arwu: 05 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

User is offline   Arwu 

Ok. This level is finished and if someone want to play on it, them let me know and I put in here for download.

this map is suited for dukematch and best for only two players, special switches spawns a massive amount of monsters for some fun.
It is fully finished but needs more multiplayer testing I think. .
So let me know if somebody wants
(as eduke32 has broken multiplayer code, xduke or hduke is option to play on multi as we know. .)

• Honored Donor

Most of the people around here are waiting for eduke multiplayer to be finished. Once there's an easy way to connect online from within eduke32 itself (hopefully without all the fuss of opening ports), a lot of extra people will start playing, I know I will.

User is offline   Arwu 

Im also waiting for day when people from this forum can cross blades (or gunfire) together :unsure: this should be great for us to make new friends or enemys :P

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostArwu, on 20 January 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Ok. This level is finished and if someone want to play on it, them let me know and I put in here for download.

What are you waiting for..Christmas?

User is offline   Arwu 

:P haha :unsure: I put in here today, but later :P its a 02:46 am and my eyes are sleeping now. . . .Hard night time dealing with my next map for dukematch. . And my net makes me angry. See You later guys, good night/day :D

This post has been edited by Arwu: 21 January 2012 - 02:35 AM

User is offline   Arwu 

EDIT: look in first post to download finished version

This post has been edited by Arwu: 03 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Nice shorty. Unless you decide to be a hardcore retro mapper I'd appreciate if textures were omitted which have no HRP representation yet. I agree with Micky about the coloring. That green/blue combination hurt my eye :unsure:
Nice detail: the destructible fences. That's what interesting maps are about.

View PostArwu, on 05 January 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

this map is designed for dukematch from beginning but of course I can change if somebody wants :P

That bunch of troopers is quite dangerous in DukePlus. Simply add an exit button and it's a single player map that gives a few minutes of fun. Then more people will download and play/comment on it. IIRC my last DukeMatch was in 1998 or so.

User is offline   Arwu 

I just testing it again and found two minor mistakes, nobody notice this but must be done right :unsure:
ok. Two people write about colors, I change it, maybe to red-blue (:P just joking haha).. my next level also be for dukematch. . just want to play with friend on my maps . Third map should be for single player and dukematch too. Thanks for replies:)

EDIT: Im write this earlier:
"this map is designed for dukematch from beginning but of course I can change if somebody wants"
I mean if somebody wants then I design this map for duke tag. But I know nothing about this mode for now :P. Also I think nobody play on that mode. .

This post has been edited by Arwu: 21 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

• Honored Donor

my next level also be for dukematch

Just note that your maps would get much, much more attention if they have singleplayer (or better yet, designed mostly/specifically for singleplayer). There's a reasonable amount of interest in this one because it's your first map and people want to know what you're capable of, and I'm not saying there won't be people looking at your next map, but I don't want to see you waste your time on DM maps that not many people are going to see and even less are going to play (I don't see the eduke netcode being finished for a long time.) I hope I'm not being too harsh. Of course if you're making the maps mostly for yourself then that's absolutely fine too.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 22 January 2012 - 04:11 AM

User is offline   Arwu 

Maybe thats the point by making next map for single player . Hmmm I think about it but keep in mind that I not learned everything for now, but thats a matter of time, short time. I think about underwater base with upper level on island, maybe I try that idea.
EDIT:
Micky wrote:
"...I don't see the eduke netcode being finished for a long time...."
:D :P :unsure:
too sad. . But we still have an eduke32 with old netcode :P I just tested it, better than xDuke it seems, because of the HRP and upgraded perspective ;)

This post has been edited by Arwu: 22 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I like the way this map looks Arwu. I've been playing online a lot lately, so I'll try to get a game with this map going as soon as possible along with a demo as well. :D

User is offline   Arwu 

:D I like to see these demo file if You willing to post it here:) hehe Im curious how other players can play on that map :D

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Alright, I got a game going yesterday with 5 players. The demo was recorded with HDuke, so I recommend you use that port to play the demo back with. We played up to 15 kills, taking about 13 minutes. Just throw the contents of the zip file in the directory and it will play when you launch. You can also press K to cycle through each player view (press F7, so that when you see the third-person player you will know who player 1 is).

I thought the map played very nice. At first I thought the map had too few weapons, but it proved to be doable. The jetpack secret and the holoduke and shrinker behind the maps were cool as well.

As far as the other players' opinions, I know Cheeta was so mad at the map choice that he completely stopped playing about a minute in :D. Franz told me he enjoyed the map. BigOldBoy was begging to have the map changed, but he at least had the decency to respawn every now and then. Lard never said anything, but considering the fact that he came in second place, I can infer that he liked the map a lot. As for the people that did not like the map, I really don't know why they didn't like it. I guess just because it was something new. Oh, and I won.

I will definitely play it again, but since your readme file says you don't mind if we make modifications, I would like to modify it and add much more weapons. Sure, it was doable just the way it is, but it could use a little more in my opinion. :D

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Arwu 

Haha I just watched this and have tip for You:p If You get jetpack, just fly above of it and You can escape from secret room quickly, also with jetpack it is possible to reach two secret buttons :D these buttons are very small and You can found these on the wall under ceiling of the main area. Now, Im run mapster and want to add exit from death pit.
This map is good for max 3 players, because it is a very small map :D
when I have new internet provider here, I will to play with You :D

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Thanks for those jetpack tips! And yes, an exit from the death pit is necessary. It's too easy to fall in and a lot of players were complaining about it.

Also Arwu, I must advise you that this map is not small. It's fairly big in my opinion. I honestly believe it will do best with about 6 players. If it just had more weapons, I think it would do phenomenal with all 8!

If you can't already play right now, I would definitely love to get a game going with you as soon as possible. :D

User is offline   Arwu 

OK. updated map is in first post :D

This post has been edited by Arwu: 29 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'll check it out. I'll try to get a game later this week.

User is offline   Arwu 

I hope weapons amount are better than before. . But I do not make too much more . . Only a few and more ammo. .

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options