Duke4.net Forums: strange underwater sprite problem - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

strange underwater sprite problem  "sprite clipping in underwater sector.."

User is offline   Arwu 

Hi all :unsure: I'm new to the forums, this is my first post here :P
Im from Poland and I 27 years old now ;p I like old games and mostly play on emulators
First I must say I love Duke 3D , over 12 years ago Im made a first contact with this game ;) I played it on PSX and still remember these complicated pad configuration (I hate it even today). Many years have passed and year ago I found a duke port on pc (xDuke) and Im happy with it ^^. I love this game, but when Im discovered eDuke32 and mapster Im loved it many many much stronger ;p
Thanks for all involved people for keeping this great game (even today) alive ! :D

I love editors in games but mapster it is the best for me :P two weeks ago, after learning basics of mapping, manage simple maps only to discover "how to do" and read forums about everything possible I started to make my first map :P ...sadly my PC can't run polymer lighting, but models and textures are handled.

I'm do not have questions for now, but one thing is make me little angry ;p I hope someone put light on me and answer to my problem.
thanks in advance :D

In mapster Im make a underwater sector and in middle of height of it I put a square sprite (floor alligned).
Problem is where player is above this sprite, it seems water is outta here, player can jump normally as in normal sector without water.
Sprite is blocked and two-sided but Im able to go throught it from below.
Anyway, even if this sprite blocked bit is off, I can't go throught it from above, it blocking my movement as solid ground

I'm make a little map only for illustrating this problem, two upper rooms are above and below water sectors, room below is the same but is constructed using TROR

Im be very gratefull if someone look at it, ..for now I cannot cover a underwater hole :(

ps: small room contains a mirror, but on my constructed levels mirrors can't show any sprites, when I load any official map in mapster and test it, mirrors works normally as always. hmmmm, probably I doing something bad..

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Arwu: 07 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That's a known bug, and there's no practical way to fix it, sorry. You'll just have to work around it somehow.

User is offline   Arwu 

Thanks Micky :unsure: I manage to do something.
It is better for me knowing that its bug :P
its save my time a little

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I am not sure if you are aware of this guide, but it it the best mapping one you will ever need.

http://infosuite.duke4.net/

It also mentions the water bug/effect/problem.

User is offline   Arwu 

I know about this tutorial :unsure:
I read everything there but Im do not know how I missed part with this bug. .

thanks guys :P I see You all understand my poor english :P

EDIT: I found about this bug in "oddities" page

This post has been edited by Arwu: 03 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

You can always make the sprite nonblockable and non hitscan, then add some small invisible blockable sprites below it to "hack" a floor.

Posted Image

That´s how i done it in one of my maps. Credits to Forge who´s the person that discovered it IIRC

User is offline   Arwu 

This post is for new mappers in the first place :P

thanks to Gambini I realize that is very simple. Im make another demo map with this workaround. If You unzip the file and look at the image You see two underwater sectors. Strangely, sector on the left still causes this bug if player is above yellow marked zones, anyway it is a thin line and player can notice this by swimming over yellow zone, and Duke move down a little.
Sector on the right uses more sprites and problem is totally gone.
Make sure these blockable sprites are view aligned, otherwise this method do not work.
This is image from this zip file for quick look:

Posted Image
Another strange thing is when player is above these underwater sectors and want to rise from water :unsure: wow, Duke jump from water as dolphin :D ;)

sorry for make two attachments. It it a way to delete second ? [EDIT: Done] [Thanks :P -Arwu]

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Arwu: 11 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options