Duke4.net Forums: if and when the next duke game drops, will you care? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

if and when the next duke game drops, will you care?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Isn't it a bit strange to bash someone for liking Duke on what is and has always been a Duke fansite?

Seriously, wtf.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

No, it's more of questioning his sheep mentality. Would you honestly buy a Duke game developed by Square Enix JUST because it's a Duke game, and no other reason? Of course, you'd actually tread the waters and see what the game is all about first.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostTX, on 31 December 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

Isn't it a bit strange to bash someone for liking Duke on what is and has always been a Duke fansite?

Seriously, wtf.

You can be a fan and not an irrational nutjob.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

No, but I'd buy a Duke game by Square Enix just because I love the Duke character himself and because Square Enix made the recent Deus Ex: Human Revolution which kicked total ass. Perhaps Square Enix wasn't the best example here since Square Enix produces some awesome games.

Anyway, I don't really see the difference between buying a game just because it featured Duke and seeing a movie just because it features your favorite actor. Even if you do think he's a sheep for being a fan like that, why do you even care?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I didn't know Square Enix made anything beyond millions of crap JRPGs.

Also, this thread is all about caring about other people's irrationalities.

View PostTX, on 31 December 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

Even if you do think he's a sheep for being a fan like that, why do you even care?

Simple. It makes the fanbase look like a joke when they are perceived as accepting crap. Then the studios see this and think it's ok so they keep pushing out more crap until the whole thing inevitably goes down the toilet and somebody else buys the license 10 years later because they went out of business.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostMad Max RW, on 31 December 2011 - 08:05 PM, said:

Simple. It makes the fanbase look like a joke when they are perceived as accepting crap. Then the studios see this and think it's ok so they keep pushing out more crap until the whole thing inevitably goes down the toilet and somebody else buys the license 10 years later because they went out of business.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Yes I will care, I've played every Duke Nukem games that exists, I liked DNF so I look forward to the next Duke game.

Let's just drop this. I am looking forward to the next duke game. Even if that makes me a total imbecile. I will be the happiest sheep in the whole world :)

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostTX, on 31 December 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

Anyway, I don't really see the difference between buying a game just because it featured Duke and seeing a movie just because it features your favorite actor. Even if you do think he's a sheep for being a fan like that, why do you even care?

He said he'd like it because of Duke("If the game is duke, then it's good"). Of course most of us will be interested in any game about Duke, but not the point of blindly loving it because of that.

Really, don't take it too seriosly. I just really like duke nukem that's all.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Putting aside all the other aspects that make or break a game, a character such as Duke Nukem is nothing without proper handling.
In fact, without the right approach it can actually serve to create aversion to the experience as a whole - see the reactions to DNF.

To me Duke Nukem, if done right, is the icing on the cake; an important ingredient that enriches the flavour, but not the main course.

View Postrasmus thorup, on 31 December 2011 - 10:49 PM, said:

Really, don't take it too seriosly. I just really like duke nukem that's all.

No problem. Sorry about the imbecile comment before. Based on past experience I strongly believe if the community has a more unified vision of what makes Duke Nukem great we'll eventually get what we ask for. Saying "I'll buy it because Duke Nukem is in it" is exactly what the money grubbing studios want to hear, because it encourages them to cut corners and cheap out on the next game.

Yea i see your point, and i agree with you 100% But please, just respect people the way they are.

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 01 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

View PostMad Max RW, on 31 December 2011 - 08:05 PM, said:

heheh, *cough* 3DR *cough*

I will not buy it unless i know it has good gunplay and jetpacks in SP.

AND IT NEEDS THE SAME SHOTGUN LOOK, SOUND AND ANIMATION FROM THE 2001 TRAILER /sarcasm (seriously though, bring back that fucking shotgun)

And even then, I will wait for the reviews this time instead of rushing out to buy on release day like a moron, like I did with DNF.

User is offline   thatguy 

Well Gearbox has the IP and I like them as a studio. Based on the DLC released for DNF, I think they are capable of creating a duke game, more so one they have created from scratch. We will see. :unsure:

A new Duke game, can't wait!!!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I won't care near as much as I used to. If it's a good game I'll play it, though.

I really hope that there is another Duke game. I loved DNF, and even though it was a big disappointment, I still enjoyed it thoroughly; I just felt that it was way too short.

If there is another Duke game, I hope it will allow Mr. Nukem some redemption for his fans.

User is offline   Rebecca 

To see Duke go back to his 3D days of busting sprites and speeding on ahead is all I really want in a Duke game. If they used the same sort of true 3D engine the N64 port used, improved the textures to a HD standard and gave the sprites a detailed update, I would be happy. Think a Duke 3D styled game, looking and running similar to Serious Sam 3. Then there would be tons of potential for new enemies, new locations, new weapons, improved environment interaction and explosions etc.

It could at least make an Xbox Live Arcade title , and I'd buy it in an instant because the old style Duke is what I loved. Of course this will never happen, and I doubt many wish for the same.

User is offline   Ronin 

Damn right I will care if a new Nukem game drops, the devs already made major improvements for TDWCM dlc compared to the original game so they at least saw some of the fatal flaws of DNF (some I said). I will not delude myself into thinking we will get the evolution of Duke 3D as we imagine, that day is fucking gone. What you can hope for is a solid fps Duke experience that doesnt embarrass the community and fall short, after all it probably won't take 14 years to come out and it will be expected to be rubbish, so if Gearbox put their thinking caps on and focus while taking into account the fans concerns we should get at least a solid Duke experience. I mean they can't be that stupid can they? Once bitten twice shy and all that, the only problem is that I don't trust their game design, Im not sure they have what it takes to design interesting levels suitable for Duke to fuck around in, none of their previous products (the Half-Life design was spoon fed to them) have shown that level of creativity.
We will see, they missed the point of Duke as did 3D Realms with Forever, I don't understand why they fnd it so difficult to grasp the concept when they have fans handing them ideas everyday (or they did for years). What ever happened to "the customer is always right".
I predict we willl get a safer Nukem in the next game that will probably end up like many other popular games of its ilk around the time its released, nothing ground breaking but not laughed at either, and that unfortunately is the most we can hope for.

User is offline   Graywolf 

DNF sucks. Alright, but not GBX fault, put this one georgie boy.

But why should I be excited for a new Duke game?

- Out of touch devs/CEO with the community
- Publisher that doesn't allow mod tools, that's why we didn't get what have been promised to us on DNF
- God awful box art of DNF turning duke into some jersey shore ghetto douchebag to appeal to casual retarded kids
- terrible customer support
- SP parts removed out of the final game for DLC milking purposes
- total misconception of the creative/dev team about what the Duke nukem carachter is and supposed to be

I'm deeply sorry that Duke ip is on gearbox/2k games.

I thought that the company that developed one of my favorite sp games ever (opposing force expansion for HL) would make good use and respect Duke Nukem how he deserves.

Gearbox did there job of releasing DNF

This post has been edited by TheRealGameBoy117: 26 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

WTH are you trying to say?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostTheRealGameBoy117 interpreted, on 25 February 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Gearbox did all they could when they released DNF; they bear no more responsibility on the matter, so let's drop the subject altogether. Completely off the subject altogether, because I feel like it, I want to say that I had fun playing a DukeMatch in Duke Nukem 3D wherein everyone was fighting each other, except for me and this other guy who tag-teamed everyone else.

Hope that helps, MusicallyInspired.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTheRealGameBoy117, on 25 February 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

also i had fun double teaming in duke 3d today in one game the rest is just everone for themselves

WTF does that have to do with the topic?

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 26 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Stooopid gameboy.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 26 February 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Hope that helps, MusicallyInspired.

Somewhat. Thank you.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

is that better stupid CB

This post has been edited by TheRealGameBoy117: 26 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTheRealGameBoy117, on 26 February 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

is that better stupid CB

CB?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options