Duke4.net Forums: if and when the next duke game drops, will you care? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

if and when the next duke game drops, will you care?

User is offline   BFG9000 

duke's future seems uncertain (at least to me), with a new owner and with dnf being a bust, just how soon will grbox turn around a give us "their" version of duke? it could be awhile, but then again maybe it's sooner than we think (2-3yrs?, 4-6yrs?). this whole "ride" so-to-speak we've (duke fans) have been on for the past 14 years and ultimately what dnf turned out to be, it's almost like a damn tragedy. 3drealms has to close, people lose jobs, 14 years of so much potential wasted, the massive disappointment for nostalgic fans, and the loss of possibly one of the greatest games that could have ever come out (one of the early 00' builds)... i mean the whole damn thing is just sad.
in 5 years i'll be almost 32. is a new duke game out by then; how much will i even care about gaming at that age? if so, do i want to revist the dukeverse? and who knows, the next duke game may be a massive departure, an abomination.

everyone's different so maybe you see things differently than i do but what do you think? will you care when the next duke game comes out?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostBFG9000, on 28 December 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

duke's future seems uncertain (at least to me), with a new owner and with dnf being a bust, just how soon will grbox turn around a give us "their" version of duke? it could be awhile, but then again maybe it's sooner than we think (2-3yrs?, 4-6yrs?). this whole "ride" so-to-speak we've (duke fans) have been on for the past 14 years and ultimately what dnf turned out to be, it's almost like a damn tragedy. 3drealms has to close, people lose jobs, 14 years of so much potential wasted, the massive disappointment for nostalgic fans, and the loss of possibly one of the greatest games that could have ever come out (one of the early 00' builds)... i mean the whole damn thing is just sad.
in 5 years i'll be almost 32. is a new duke game out by then; how much will i even care about gaming at that age? if so, do i want to revist the dukeverse? and who knows, the next duke game may be a massive departure, an abomination.

everyone's different so maybe you see things differently than i do but what do you think? will you care when the next duke game comes out?

No. DNF has no mod tools, and never will. Even the best games will die out without it. Thus, Duke's next game is too distant in the future for me to care. Posted Image

User is offline   necroslut 

Yes, I will, I really liked DNF. Not sure if I'll like it though, I really hope GBX/Triptych will try to follow in Duke 3D's footsteps and not just make some console-ish license shooter like most "reboots" turn out to be.

And I think you're fooling yourself if you think the early builds were that different.

I'll definitely get it. I've been a fan of Duke since the sidescrollers, so for me NOT to get the next game would be a severe breach of character on my part. :)

To me it doesn't really matter how good the game is. As long as it is duke, i will get it.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Like all games I'll wait for reviews and see what the general consensus is among real gamers and fans. Then if it isn't completely broken I'll buy on sale. That's worst case scenario (besides skipping entirely, which is pretty rare).

User is offline   ---- 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 29 December 2011 - 03:16 PM, said:

To me it doesn't really matter how good the game is. As long as it is duke, i will get it.

And this is what 2K (and maybe GBX) can count on. Release crap ... there are always those who have low standards and buy.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I am not buying the next iteration of Duke Nukem, barring some major change in the development or publishing team, e.g. to Valve Software.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 30 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

User is offline   Kyphros 

If it really sucks, i won't buy it but i'll probably play through it anyway because it's Duke.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'll likely be a lot more skeptical of the next game and probably buy it eventually, second-hand.

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 30 December 2011 - 09:18 AM, said:

I am not buying the next iteration of Duke Nukem, barring some major change in the development or publishing team, e.g. to Valve Software.

Why Valve, if you don't mind me asking? A lot of people around here seem to love Serious Sam 3 and from the sounds of it Croteam has a better idea of what a Duke Nukem FPS should be. Hell, I'd imagine a spinoff Duke vs. Sam game would sell like hot cakes.

User is offline   Kathy 

I've played only SS 1st and 2nd encounters and a demo of SS2, but do you mind explaining in what way Serious Sam is similar to Duke Nukem gameplay-wise?

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMad Max RW, on 30 December 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

Why Valve, if you don't mind me asking? A lot of people around here seem to love Serious Sam 3 and from the sounds of it Croteam has a better idea of what a Duke Nukem FPS should be. Hell, I'd imagine a spinoff Duke vs. Sam game would sell like hot cakes.

From what I have heard about the Serious Sam series and how the gameplay maps out, I disagree with you. Duke Nukem 3D was not intended to be an open-air arena fragfest to the extent that Serious Sam is or was. Duke Nukem 3D currently bears the closest resemblance to FPS'es such as Half-Life 1 or Quake. However, since ID Software is not currently in the business of making very good shooters, I trust Valve to put out a quality product that doesn't fall prey to the much-derided tropes (regenerative health, weapon limit, etc.) seen in modern-day games.

View PostHelel, on 30 December 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

I've played only SS 1st and 2nd encounters and a demo of SS2, but do you mind explaining in what way Serious Sam is similar to Duke Nukem gameplay-wise?

I can't because I never played any of the Serious Sam games. Just going by what others on this forum said. Perhaps you should ask them?

Maybe my last post wasn't clear enough.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 30 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostHelel, on 30 December 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

The 'Hero' is a muscular, wise-cracking smart-ass who single-handedly dispatches hordes and hordes of silly aliens with improbably OTT weaponry.

Duke 3D had complex urban levels and a higher sense of 'adventure' but apart from that, they are very similar.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Eh, they are rather similar in premise, but the gameplay mechanics are substantially different. It's like comparing Quake and Deus Ex. I think Croteam COULD make a decent Duke game if they tried to do legitimate Duke gameplay, rather than an SS rehash. If they did an SS rehash that'd be kinda pointless.

I'd personally like to see Levelord and Charlie Weiderhold working on the next Duke game.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on 30 December 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

The 'Hero' is a muscular, wise-cracking smart-ass who single-handedly dispatches hordes and hordes of silly aliens with improbably OTT weaponry.

Duke 3D had complex urban levels and a higher sense of 'adventure' but apart from that, they are very similar.

Sam obviously imitates Duke's attitude but that's about it. SS consists of nothing but incredibly boring arena-type fights.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think Serious Sam 3 is closer to Duke 3D than DNF, it even has a jetpack at the end. A Duke FPS not having a jetpack in singleplayer is pretty unforgivable, since even Duke Nukem 2 had a kind of jetpack.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMicky C, on 30 December 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

I think Serious Sam 3 is closer to Duke 3D than DNF, it even has a jetpack at the end. A Duke FPS not having a jetpack in singleplayer is pretty unforgivable, since even Duke Nukem 2 had a kind of jetpack.

Duke 2 even had flyable space vehicles

Posted Image

And Duke 1 had grapling hooks, Duke 3D and MP had jetpacks, etc. But Forever's freedom of movement is almost nonexistent.
Damn it, I just remembered the 2001 trailer again... and I'm thinking again about how DNF could have been... >_< Stop it Lk, stop it now. >_>

User is offline   Hank 

View PostLkMax, on 30 December 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

>_< Stop it Lk, stop it now. >_>

Yeah, please stop. This one had a shitload of secrets too. Them days are gone. Posted Image finished. *sniff* Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 30 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

View Postfuegerstef, on 30 December 2011 - 01:31 AM, said:

And this is what 2K (and maybe GBX) can count on. Release crap ... there are always those who have low standards and buy.

If the game is duke, then it's good :) I respect your opinions you should respect mine too.

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 31 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

• Glory To Motherland!

View Postrasmus thorup, on 31 December 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

If the game is duke, then it's good :) I respect your opinions you should respect mine too.

Oh, I respect your opinion. I also have this bridge I would like to sell you...

User is offline   Jeff 

Next Duke game must have a developer console.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postrasmus thorup, on 31 December 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

That's the same logic as believing the Bible to be true because it's a book.

You don't bet on duke? Then why are you here?

View Postrasmus thorup, on 31 December 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

Because he's also a fan of good games. I love Fallout but I didn't run out and buy that Brotherhood of Steel abomination for the original Xbox. Neither did any other true fans. And you know what happened? The sequel was canceled and we finally got games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Don't be a sheep.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 31 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

I'm playing Serious Sam 3 right now, and as with the previous Sam games I enjoy it, but I really thing DNF beats it in every aspect except for graphics (and the netcode seems much better, but that's not really a gameplay thing). They should not really be compared though, as they're very different kinds of shooters, Serious Sam is much more remiscent of Doom mods where you fight insane numbers of enemies in large open (undetailed) spaces than a game with the depth of Duke 3D.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postrasmus thorup, on 31 December 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

Contrary to your childish belief, Duke Nukem does not have actual involvement in his video games. Nor is he real.

View PostMad Max RW, on 31 December 2011 - 05:52 PM, said:

Because he's also a fan of good games. I love Fallout but I didn't run out and buy that Brotherhood of Steel abomination for the original Xbox. Neither did any other true fans. And you know what happened? The sequel was canceled and we finally got games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Don't be a sheep.

Yea, because New vegas is a good game? ah nevermind you don't get it. It's a duke joke for true fans.

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 31 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

View Postrasmus thorup, on 31 December 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

Yea, because New vegas is a good game? ah nevermind you don't get it. It's a duke joke for true fans.

I see. You're just an imbecile. Moving on.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options