Duke4.net Forums: do you think george b. laments..? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

do you think george b. laments..?

User is offline   BFG9000 

3drealms is dead, and duke is well, alive but i don't know if gearbox will do the ip justice. do you think gb thinks back and maybe wishes he had just finished the game at any point, even if it wasn't as "perfect" as he would have wanted it? duke was his game so to speak, it's gone, his company is gone and just, when looking back, it's amazing to think that 3drealms biggest game was released in 96'. duke3d was their "high-point"; there were just so many possibilities wasted or unrealized. i know this is a pretty pointless post but, you know...

This post has been edited by BFG9000: 11 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Considering the reaction to DNF perhaps GB is gratefull that Gearbox are taking part of the blame for it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

He wasted 15 years of his life making one of the biggest fails of gaming history. I sure hope he feels upset, but I have a feeling that he's washed his hands of this and moved on. He likely doesnt even care anymore, and hasnt cared for years how the future games would turn out. If he did, he wouldnt have made such un-Duke like decisions such as linear levels and two weapon limit. Future Duke games really cant be any worse.

He'll probably gamble away the money gearbox gave him within 5 years and file for bankruptcy.

I'm pretty sure that DNF has been GB's biggest enemy for quite some time now.
Judging by his attitude in the last 5 years, I would say that selling the Duke IP and DNF to Gearbox, was an amazing feat for him.
I am pretty sure that when Randy decided to offer him 20 million for the Duke ip, GB could not believe his fucking luck.
My opinion is that GB has fucked up epicly during these 15 years and at the very last second, he has managed to find THE gullible person (Randy) to save him and give him all of his lost money back, while Randy ignorantly believed that he will be able to save the ip and make money off of it!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 14 December 2011 - 02:46 AM

User is offline   Martin 

I think he must regret not just releasing the 2001 game. Pre-HL2 and such.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

Can you imagine if it was released in 2004 with HL2 and Doom 3 the way it is now?
The game is amazing... for a 2004 era game.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostThePinkus, on 14 December 2011 - 12:59 AM, said:

Can you imagine if it was released in 2004 with HL2 and Doom 3 the way it is now?
The game is amazing... for a 2004 era game.

I think that every time I play DNF. As a 2004 game, it would blow HL2 out of water, especially in the puzzle and physics department.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostYatta, on 14 December 2011 - 01:01 AM, said:

I think that every time I play DNF. As a 2004 game, it would blow HL2 out of water, especially in the puzzle and physics department.

Too bad those puzzles were most likely influenced by HL2.

User is offline   necroslut 

Me too, it feels like a great early 2000's game that has been sitting around since then and just recently reappeared, which I guess is pretty much what happened. I'm sure if it was released when it was supposed to be, it would have gotten 9's and 10's everywhere. Which I don't really think it would have deserved, but that's another point.

User is offline   X-Vector 

I'm currently playing Half-Life 2 all the way through for the first time (I stopped at Ravenholm previously and never continued) and even though I can't truly love the game as I did the original Half-Life, it's still got far more quality and class to its design than Duke Nukem Forever.
The world of HL2 'feels' different from that of HL1 and features too much funneling and "hoop jumping" for my taste, but it has a believability and atmosphere that makes me want to discover what's next, where DNF just seems like a depressing chore to play through.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

As a 2004 game, it would blow HL2 out of water, especially in the puzzle and physics department.

Are you on crack?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

And if my granny had two wheels, she'd be a bicycle.

The fact of the matter is, though, the game was released in 2011, and that is the unmistakable truth that we all have to deal with.

User is offline   Martin 

Heavily disagree. I think HL2 totally brutalizes DNF in every way imaginable. Can't really understand how you think the graphics or physics in DNF are better. They suck balls. At their best, the physics puzzles are pale imitations of what you found in HL2.

The DNF as it is today looks similar to the older versions in many ways, including some of those "physics puzzles". And the videos showing that, came out before HL2. So DNF can't have imitated HL2

Ha so funny

User is offline   ---- 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 17 December 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

The DNF as it is today looks similar to the older versions in many ways, including some of those "physics puzzles". And the videos showing that, came out before HL2. So DNF can't have imitated HL2

What videos are you referring to?

Perhaps there are more, but I personally know of only 3 videos of DNF that show stuff from before 2004.

- 1998 Trailer, no physics puzzles
- 2001 Trailer, no physics puzzles
- 2003 gameplay footage, no physics puzzles

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 17 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

User is offline   Graywolf 

DNF at its present state wouldn't do much diferent 7 years ago.

Far Cry would have kicked DNF ass so hard back in 2004. that game deserved to be GOTY instead of Hl2.

This post has been edited by Graywolf: 28 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

GOTY isn't something exclusive to just one title. There are dozens of GOTYs each year.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options