Duke4.net Forums: my maps - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

my maps

User is online   ck3D 

hi, I used to post on amc and dn-r back in the days when those sites were a lot more active than they are now. stayed a dn-r regular until recently when my IP got banned from their server by accident, along with a lot of the other regular members which I guess pretty much nailed the coffin for that site. So in order to keep on communicating with the people I was sharing work / working with on that site I made an account on here, now I realize I have never made an introductory post with all my old maps, that were fairly popular back in the days but most of you on this site probably never heard of them... given the lack of fresh air in the mapping department of the community lately I thought it might be a good move to showcase them agin. I have been making maps for duke since the late 90's, early 00's. My first ever decent completed map was done in 2001 I think... then I spent quite a few years working on a lot of maps very actively, until about 2006 I think when I started building on and off then mostly off. I still mess around with mapster every once in a while but at a very scarce pace because I really don't have the time for it anymore, but I still like doing it. yeah

here is my site with all my maps (except my latest one to date, Anorak City, that I haven't put up yet but it already has a thread on this duke4 message board) : http://mrcksdukemaps.blogspot.com/

and a selection of my favorites with screenshots and download / review links...

bottles to the ground (2009) - http://dukerepositor...s_To_The_Ground)
Posted Image

amc pleaser (2009) with maarten van oostrum - http://dukerepositor...The_AMC_Pleaser
Posted Image

happy hangover (2008) - http://dukerepositor.../Happy_Hangover
Posted Image

roch island (2006) with the oostrum brothers and taivo maaripuu - http://dukerepositor...aps/Roch_Island
Posted Image

filler (2005) - http://dukerepository.com/maps/Filler
Posted Image

and there's a lot more on the site, the old anarchy city series etc... just use this thread for requests and questions if you have any

these maps were originally made for VANILLA DUKE, WITHOUT HRP in mind. I used to use color palettes and a lot of classic features the HRP doesn't support afaik in my older maps, so just turn it off for a moment and enjoy a vintage experience

This post has been edited by ck3D: 08 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   CruX 

Pretty much everything ck does is instant gold. He's like your favorite mapper's favorite mapper.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I have played all of those, and of the maps pictured, my favorites are AMC Pleaser and Filler. Those are the only 2 maps that I didn't get stuck on the first time through. They all have awesome design, though.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Anarchy City is still one of my favorites.

User is online   ck3D 

because of the design style I have a love / hate relationship with the anarchy city series... the 1024 sectors / 4096 walls restriction still existed back when I made them, and they were the first maps in which I ever used the atomic edition textures so my texturing picks were still kind of rushed and not really on point. had I built them more recently they could have been a lot better. curiously enough the one I still really like the most is the first one by far... It was the first 'big' map (in terms of size) that I ever completed, and even though it has its visual errors I love the mood of it so much. To me it is very reminiscent of a mix between the feel of an original duke map, my modern maps (because of how it paved the way to them), and, because of the looks, the average user map one could play back in the late 90's... I'm going to play it again for the first time in years now

about AMC Pleaser it is one of my favorites too, I just kind of regret the fancy windows on the background buildings they kind of ruin the original duke 3D feel we were going for, but I'm still very stoked on the layout. And Filler caught a lot of hate when it came out because of the overwhelming amount of colored palettes everywhere (which Roch Island retained to an extent as well)... I wasn't putting in any thought about having strict color schemes to build up moods and stuff back then, I just wanted to color everything. But I still like how the map plays and goes... not a bad one

User is online   ck3D 

I forgot to post about this map that was released last year : http://dukerepositor...tball_Sub_Makin / http://msdn.duke4.ne...tmeatball.shtml

Posted ImagePosted Image

as part of a full episode I am working on with other mappers, that is really close to completion and should be out by the end of the year or in early january at the very least... (Mikko if you are reading this, I am completing another boss map right now. are you working on a last one too ?)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I forget which map it was, but one of my favorites was the one in which you can use a skateboard and get inside a police cruiser.

I missed that you released a new map, I need to hit that up.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 10 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Meatball.. is one of my favorite maps as well, even though it is a bit too easy (I realize this is because you were going for 3DR style). It has a great flow and there is nothing to get the player stuck. I guess that's a big deal for me: it pretty much ruins a map if I have to wander around too much looking for something hidden.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 10 December 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

I forget which map it was, but one of my favorites was the one in which you can use a skateboard and get inside a police cruiser.

Anarchy City 3, IIRC

User is online   ck3D 

yeah that was AC3, probably my least favorite one of the bunch in retrospect, besides some decent-looking areas I guess... it was one of my first atomic edition maps too, I only had 1024 sectors to deal with and I was still new to the 'modern' design style so everything is kind of bland and cramped, I find it sketchy-looking... I guess it was cool for mid-2004 though

User is offline   Merlijn 

AC3, wasn't that also the one with the weird alien walls surrounding the gameplay area? IIRC it was indeed one of your weaker maps.

Also, I've replayed Filler and it's a very good map actually. I almost completely forgot about it, so it was nice to see it back.The colors didn't really bother me, gameplay could have been a little better perhaps (those damn turrets were fucking everywhere! :P ), but the map still looks very good.

I hope to see that episode soon, it has some cool stuff (and a map from me of course :) )

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 11 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

Ah, Happy Hangover. Funny how well I rememberd that one!

User is online   ck3D 

Since this is my thread, allow me to post just one random message to point out that DN-R is officially retarded. I realized I could use my phone to go to that site and check the forums just in case. I didn't even log in, and after five minutes spent on the site as a guest the site banned me as such. If even guests can get banned, no wonder why it's been going down the drain in terms of popularity over the past months.

User is offline   Forge 

View Postck3D, on 13 December 2011 - 03:46 AM, said:

Since this is my thread, allow me to post just one random message to point out that DN-R is officially retarded. I realized I could use my phone to go to that site and check the forums just in case. I didn't even log in, and after five minutes spent on the site as a guest the site banned me as such. If even guests can get banned, no wonder why it's been going down the drain in terms of popularity over the past months.

Puritan doesn't even touch the forum anymore. if you got banned as a guest it probably had to do with the site's software and/or the amount of bots flooding the place

some people didn't like Puritan's policy of mass banning to keep the bots out because they became collateral damage, but it was the only option available to him to keep the site going.
seems users, and now guests as well, are getting randomly banned without any moderating interference

User is online   ck3D 

yeah I guessed it right away that it was a random ban not monitored by a human, I just thought it was funny to manage to sneak my way on DN-R for two minutes like that then getting the dictatorial banhammer again. It felt like trying to escape from alcatraz running through the courtyard when noone's looking, just to get shot in the back when someone notices

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Great shots.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDeeperThought, on 10 December 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

Meatball.. is one of my favorite maps as well, even though it is a bit too easy (I realize this is because you were going for 3DR style). It has a great flow and there is nothing to get the player stuck. I guess that's a big deal for me: it pretty much ruins a map if I have to wander around too much looking for something hidden.

I agree, a lot of mappers will add things to maps that aren't self evident. "Oh, I hit this button combination that's hidden behind a door to open up a tiny door I have to back track to the beginning to shoot another button to open up this door here? Yeah that made a lot of sense."

[quote name='ck3D' timestamp='1323359458' post='113321']
hi, I used to post on amc and dn-r back in the days when those sites were a lot more active than they are now. stayed a dn-r regular until recently when my IP got banned from their server by accident, along with a lot of the other regular members which I guess pretty much nailed the coffin for that site. So in order to keep on communicating with the people I was sharing work / working with on that site I made an account on here, now I realize I have never made an introductory post with all my old maps, that were fairly popular back in the days but most of you on this site probably never heard of them... given the lack of fresh air in the mapping department of the community lately I thought it might be a good move to showcase them agin. I have been making maps for duke since the late 90's, early 00's. My first ever decent completed map was done in 2001 I think... then I spent quite a few years working on a lot of maps very actively, until about 2006 I think when I started building on and off then mostly off. I still mess around with mapster every once in a while but at a very scarce pace because I really don't have the time for it anymore, but I still like doing it. yeah

wow looks beautiful

This post has been edited by minidueknukem: 03 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

any of you thought about moding techwars or using its textures?

i am facing a problem doing these things becuase the palettes are different between build games

wow tek war was uggly haha .. is that alwya sso low ress? .. i thought it was a great game but people didnt

This post has been edited by minidueknukem: 03 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Please don't spam the thread, especially with off-topic posts.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options