Duke4.net Forums: DNF easter egg in Serious Sam 3 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF easter egg in Serious Sam 3

User is offline   randir14 

In Serious Sam 3 there are crates that refill your C4 when you open them. On the inside of the lid it says "Manufactured by EDF corporation". Probably a joke referencing the ammo-refill EDF crates in DNF.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I saw the acronym EDF in other places as well. It might be an easter egg, but it's not like Earth Defense Force(s) is anything super specific to Duke. It's a rather generic name.

I also recall hearing Sam say "Damn, I'm better than good!" Which could possibly be another Duke reference.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Posted Image

http://www.mobygames...h-defense-force

User is offline   Lunick 

I noticed a few verbal references to Duke but can't remember the lines at the moment.

User is offline   browzers 

I'm not a massive serious sam fan, who made the game ?..... is there anyone that has worked on sam that was working on duke at any point in time ? also, didn't SS3 come out BEFORE DNF?

User is offline   randir14 

View Postbrowzers, on 08 December 2011 - 07:34 AM, said:

I'm not a massive serious sam fan, who made the game ?..... is there anyone that has worked on sam that was working on duke at any point in time ? also, didn't SS3 come out BEFORE DNF?

It's made by Croteam, nobody who has worked on Duke worked on the SS games. SS3 was released a couple weeks ago, and the past games have other Duke easter eggs. For example (I think this was in SS2) someone says "We were waiting forever for that blonde guy..." There is also this, skip to 1:30

This post has been edited by randir14: 08 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

That one sucks. Duke>SS

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

"Put a rocket up his arse" is British slang for "Make him hurry up" so I thought it was quite good. The only problem was, DNF had probably hit the streets before development wrapped up on this game.

If you were a particularly crazed Duke conspiracy theorist, then you could say that it is a comment that the post-3DR wrap-up of the game was what 'killed' it, thus, the rocket up his arse (ill thought-out and 'rushed' completion of the 3DR assets due to wanting to get it to market before the world ended in 2012) was what killed DNF as a game. I'm not signing off on that one though!

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 09 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You do realize that video was from serious sam 2 right? Released in 2005.

I wreckon the jetpack is some kind of Duke reference. Kind of like "fuck you Duke, even Sam has a jetpack."

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I thought it was from 3. That makes sense then.

User is offline   Mack 

Since we're stretching it in this thread: the old, rusted, beaten up car that breaks down on Sam has SAM4EVR as the license plate.

This post has been edited by Mack: 10 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

http://www.youtube.c...n&v=DTcavm8j4mo

Additionally, the graffiti in one of the earlier levels reads "EDF will prevail."

Also, Serious Sam 3 was vastly superior to DNF. The environments, the graphics were all stunning and the enemy count kept getting more intense each level.

View Postmechmorphix616, on 16 December 2011 - 10:18 AM, said:

Additionally, the graffiti in one of the earlier levels reads "EDF will prevail."

Also, Serious Sam 3 was vastly superior to DNF. The environments, the graphics were all stunning and the enemy count kept getting more intense each level.

Why do you compare Serious Sam 3 with DNF?
Just because both games have 2 tough guys that talk funny shit while they shoot?
Duke Nukem games were never about shitloads of fast running hordes of retarded looking monsters that want to kill you for almost no reason.
Duke was always about a much different ambient and was always locked inside a predominantly country\dark alley at night ambient with more enclosed spaces and more puzzles.
Serious Sam is just about huge ass sand\dirt\rock\grass fields with shitloads goofy looking, screaming retarded monsters running towards you in packs of 100 from all possible directions, that keep respawning until you kill a predefined number, so you can be allowed to move to the next area.
The only games that I know, which are comparable to Serious Sam are Pain Killer and Will Rock!
When it comes to Duke Nukem games and Serious Sam games, why can't one just suck without the other one automatically being better?
They are not comparable and the easter egg where Duke is shown dead in Serious Sam 2, or that red public phone cabin from the beginning of Serious Sam 1 from which he calls Duke, are the only things that can be called ties between these 2 games and they both have something to do with Serious Sam and Duke themselves and not with their games.
The guys at CroTeam were obviously Duke Nukem fans back then and they wanted to make a tough guy of their own, that's supposedly a friend of Duke Nukem that's all there is to it.
The only similarities between the Duke Nukem and Serious Sam games, are that both of the main characters are tough muscly men with a sense of humor and an appetite for wielding huge weapons.
If you look closely at their characters, you will find out that Serious Sam, never even talks about women in his games, while Duke is all about saving the women in his games and going into strip bars.
Serious Sam was just another guy that saved the day in his world.
The only similarities between Duke's character and Serious Sam is that they both say one liners throughout the game.

I never really liked Serious Sam when it first came out because of a shitload of reasons.
The majority of characters from Serious Sam look like the 3d artists didn't really give a shit when they started working at the characters and didn't have any concept art to begin with.
The entire game looked like it was mix of developer jokes assembled together for the hell of it, with no hope that such a game will ever sell decently and become known world wide..
When I first saw Serious Sam back then, I asked myself wtf was that cluster fuck and why the hell did it look like nothing fitted into the picture?
The level design and the characters really looked retarded to me back then and the gameplay bored me fast.
As time passed, the devs started taking those retarded characters seriously and started developing their look further and now they are canon to the series from what I can tell.
Those Gnaar monsters that look like Hulk bodies that are missing their heads and necks, were so obviously thrown together in 1 hour or less in the first Serious Sam game, considering their original animations and textures.
In the remade version of Serious Sam 1, they finally gave the enemies a few more details, to make them stand out a bit more but the original ones looked like a beginners second attempt at 3dsmax.

All in all I like Serious Sam 3 much more than I liked the first ones and coincidentally, I like it especially for that fact that it's not 100% true to it's roots.
I never liked it's roots nor did I like Serious Sam 2 that tried to go a different path but this one kind of looks decent to me.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

User is offline   Oook 

As Deviance says, there¡s another joke about Duke at the beginning of TSE, 0:54

About comparing the games, I love them both. It seems I'm one of the few ho really enjoyed DNF besides its obvious flaws and I also preordered Serious Sam 3. Those are very different kinds of experience, but don't ask me which one I like more.

Yes, I get that Serious Sam is an arena shooter, but I generally enjoyed it and the action more than that in DNF.

The first Serious Sam, well yeah, what would you expect from a bunch of Croatian high schoolers who started coding their ambitious FPS project back in 1996? Half of the stuff they intended never came to be. It was pretty good though, considering the background and Croteam have drastically matured as a developer since then. It was a bunch of school kids' pastime that ended up becoming a cult game, but you have to give them at least some credit for their engine and their editor. The simplicity prevailed IMO. Although I do agree the Gnaars were iffy. In fact I don't think the original Sam had actual 3D models, the engine had a limitation much like Build, as far as I remember.

Serious Sam II was too comedic for its own good, but they're currently remaking it, so it'll be nice to see what they make of it. Serious Sam 3 is probably the best in that it's the most "serious". Sam's humor is much more aggressive and the general tone of the game, while taking itself with a grain of salt, is more carved in than SS1.

User is offline   fatfat1 

isnt serious sam a clone of duke or trying to be a clone of duke

This post has been edited by fatfat1: 20 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View Postmechmorphix616, on 16 December 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

Yes, I get that Serious Sam is an arena shooter, but I generally enjoyed it and the action more than that in DNF.

The first Serious Sam, well yeah, what would you expect from a bunch of Croatian high schoolers who started coding their ambitious FPS project back in 1996? Half of the stuff they intended never came to be. It was pretty good though, considering the background and Croteam have drastically matured as a developer since then. It was a bunch of school kids' pastime that ended up becoming a cult game, but you have to give them at least some credit for their engine and their editor. The simplicity prevailed IMO. Although I do agree the Gnaars were iffy. In fact I don't think the original Sam had actual 3D models, the engine had a limitation much like Build, as far as I remember.

Serious Sam II was too comedic for its own good, but they're currently remaking it, so it'll be nice to see what they make of it. Serious Sam 3 is probably the best in that it's the most "serious". Sam's humor is much more aggressive and the general tone of the game, while taking itself with a grain of salt, is more carved in than SS1.

No, Serious Sam 1 had 3D models, not sprites, and it came out in 2001, not 1996. I mostly agree with Mr. Deviance for once, Serious Sam and Duke games has never been anything alike gameplay- or stylewise. If anything Serious Sam plays like those old Doom mods that would throw hundreds of enemies at you in large empty rooms, there are barely any level design at all.
And the humor in Serious Sam was always terrible, unless they raised the quality of the jokes by about ten times at least, then I really can't understand how people can think Sam did the humor better than DNF. The jokes was pretty bad in DNF yes, but that's nothing compared to the lines Sam has dropped over the years...

I haven't played Serious Sam 3 (yet), but I've played the other ones and I enjoyed DNF far more than any of them.

View Postfatfat1, on 20 December 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

Maybe he's a clone of what some people think Duke is/was.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 20 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

View Postnecroslut, on 20 December 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

No, Serious Sam 1 had 3D models, not sprites, and it came out in 2001, not 1996.

I didn't say SS1 had sprites, just that there was an engine limitation, I forgot the details.

I said they started developing it in 1996, not that it came out in '96.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postfatfat1, on 20 December 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

The character is maybe similar, but Duke is just as much of a clone of any Stallone or Schwarzenegger character, so the point is moot. The games have completely different gameplay as well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options