Duke4.net Forums: A "Map" - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A "Map"  "Duke 12:12"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

random stuff i made for fun in my spare time over the last few months, added game play haphazardly, pretty close to running out of resources (obvious in certain areas), and got bored with it

don't expect anything extraordinary, just a time waster if you have 10 minutes or so to kill

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotduke12.shtml
-or-
http://www.scent-88....2_12/12_12.html

released because i was convinced not to be "cynical", and to disregard my personal feelings about certain issues :D

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Damn good map, enjoyed every second of it. Took me roughly 48 (!) minutes on LR. Ammo was a bit hard to come by at the beginning (especially with that damn battlelord taunting me) however I very much enjoy that type of gameplay though towards the end I was loaded to the teeth. Final battle was fun especially with all the debris scattered about that you could use as cover.
The sprite work is also phenomenal especially the bridge and the entrance to the shop.

Wow! Played it probably about halfway through and had to stop for errands. I love all the spritework detail...and the innuendos made me snicker throughout the mall. Can't wait to finish it! Great job.

User is offline   ox-skull 

Pretty decent map, I liked the layout of the fire station. Was wondering, with things like the popcorn stand among others, seem to be missing graphics, is this because i hav Duke3d v 1.3D are the missing sprites from atomic edition?

Ox

Just gave it a play through, it was fun, I'm always amazed at what some mappers can acheive with sprite-work.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postox-skull, on 23 November 2011 - 08:14 PM, said:

Pretty decent map, I liked the layout of the fire station. Was wondering, with things like the popcorn stand among others, seem to be missing graphics, is this because i hav Duke3d v 1.3D are the missing sprites from atomic edition?

Ox

I definitely recommend upgrading to atomic edition. If you go to the Duke4.net homepage and click on the gog.com ad, then you know some of your $5.99 goes towards running this site.

I wasn't originally going to play this map because it didn't sound like it was finished. But based on the comments, it sounds like I have to give it a try!

The map seemed finished. But it lacked some details. I couldn't play it with hrp because of all the 3d models. I think you could do some texture adjustsments. There also are some size problems which would probably take some time to redo. I like the idea of this map, and the monsters where put the right places, and you also put in the right amount of monsters. You did some nice mapping and the spritework was probably the best in this map. The map also have a good atmosphere, but you could add some more atmosphere by making more of the doors working and stuff like that.
This map is above average.

User is offline   Merlijn 

I was the person who tested it. I actually played through the map twice, and IMO it can be concidered as a worthy, finished map. Spritework is indeed pretty amazing and the final battleground looks great. I hope Mikko reviews it.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMerlijn, on 24 November 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

I was the person who tested it. I actually played through the map twice, and IMO it can be concidered as a worthy, finished map. Spritework is indeed pretty amazing and the final battleground looks great. I hope Mikko reviews it.

I stand corrected and I apologize. I was unaware of the amount of play-throughs you actually performed. When you only pointed out a few things, I thought you only did a quick initial look. (You are noted in the text as a beta-tester and given credit for your suggestion about the shield.)

I also apologize for the inconvenience to the players; I assumed the text file would be read and it would be known that plutonium pak/atomic edition was required and that the map was not designed for or tested with HRP, 8-bit, polymer, or mods. I didn't provide a very good description in the initial post.

So it's confirmed that I'm a jackass. :D

Thanks to everyone for trying it out and commenting

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

User is offline   ox-skull 

It ran fine for me with the HRP and models on and all settings maxed, i just had to lower my resolution down to 1280x1024 from 1680x1050, There are lots of enemies at the start.

Ox

The biggest problem with HRP in my opinion is that it changes some sprites to 3d models when it shouldn't always. 3d models reduces fps a lot more than the normal 2d sprites does. The 3d models also change in appearance, so things most likely looks odd if you play with HRP if the map wasn't designed for HRP. I would like to see the HRP without 3d models.

User is offline   Forge 

i used alot of sprites, and for purposes other than what they were initially intended for. using hrp may cause weird visual errors, things not looking like they're supposed to, and possible poor fps. that's why the map wasn't intended for hrp.

if hrp works, then that's cool. as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

I really enjoyed that map. One thing though, being it was 'Black Friday', I got there early hoping and waiting for Willy G's to open.
It never did. Disappointed! Maybe I should have picked the lock with my dnclip. Didn't think of it at the time :D

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Great map, really interesting from start to finish. I like the maps where you have a lot of places to explore. The spritework is just fantastic. The bad side: the lighting looks unpolished in some areas. There also was some weird looking textures on the walls and a flying graffiti sprite near the mall.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 26 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

User is offline   Forge 

didn't see that floating sprite. fixed.

thanx for trying it out

This post has been edited by Forge: 26 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

User is offline   Puritan 

Wow! I'm afraid Forge would leave the community as a top reviewer.
He has become a really good mapper instead..
I really enjoyed this map.

Anyway, I've taken a few screenshots and uploaded his map right here!

This post has been edited by Puritan: 26 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Thanks.

when did you find time to play this?

btw, i'm not writing reviews on my own maps :D

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostForge, on 26 November 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

btw, i'm not writing reviews on my own maps :D

With this thread and the comments, the review's done by itself !

User is online   ck3D 

finally got to play this, I thought I would play the version you just posted in this thread rather than the alpha version you sent me last week going by the logic that you probably didn't want to hear feedback on an outdated version,

I liked it a lot, and the map didn't feel unfinished, sure if you really want to nitpick some areas could have used more work because they looked slightly unpolished or square compared to your previous map, and I spotted two or three misaligned textures here and there but it still looked awesome, even amazing in some areas with some great spritework and I also really liked the overall vibe and the humor that did make me grin a couple times. I even have my own room in this !

About the gameplay I thought it was really good, I loved the battles, lots of heavy firefights and open areas where I could gather and confront a lot of baddies at once. It had some flow too, the layout was a little complicated the first time around and it did take me a little while to find all the keys and locks (especially for the first three) but looking for them gave me the freedom to explore most of the map, find a lot of ammo / health / secret places and take a gander at everything in general, then once I had found the first few keys I already knew where to go. The second half of the map, with the extra keys that I needed to progress, definitely helped the length of the map and the little amount of backtracking that it involved didn't bother me. It took me a while to locate that switch to the juice store but it was just me not being careful enough.

I also really liked the idea behind that last battle, although I found the battle way too easy and thought the idea had more potential, then again I know how hard it is to create interesting boss battles in Duke. The landscape and the ship looked cool. I never found a RPG though so I had to make do with the devastator and everything else I had left (which was aplenty, along with my remaining health points, generally speaking I thought the map was quite easy and more based on exploration than frustratingly hard firefights). I spent a while looking for a switch in the crew quarters and the other rooms in the EDF area to unlock that door with the nuke sign, to no avail (which was a letdown considering the dozen of newbeasts I had just killed, for nothing or so it seemed).

All in all a great map that comes in handy and fresh at the end of this fairly desolated (release-wise) Duke year !

User is offline   CruX 

Good stuff! Not a whole lot here I can say that others haven't said already, I do, however, think it's ironic that the map's best/most interesting feature (the spritework) also kind of wound up being it's one serious drawback. What you governed to do with the sprites in most areas was truly impressive, but the clipping wound up making much of it an eyesore. The third floor of the firehouse was probably the worst; at any given angle, only about half of the room was visible, the other half being stuff that was on the second and first floor clipping through. But oh well, what's done is done, right? I really loved the big suspension bridge that led into the dark cliffs. That's how background scenery is SUPPOSED to look.

User is offline   Forge 

Thanks for trying it out.

I appreciate the observations and feedback.

User is online   ck3D 

in case you were wondering, it took me 70 minutes to finish it and as I pointed out, I didn't find everything in the map. That's pretty damn good for a map that is not regarded as 'finished' by its creator. Gameplay-wise it was flawless and design-wise it was well above average and acceptable. I think releasing it in its current state was a good move

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I took the liberty to review this particular version as I didn't really find anything to complain about. Check MSDN.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 02 December 2011 - 08:23 AM, said:

I took the liberty to review this particular version as I didn't really find anything to complain about. Check MSDN.

I took the liberty to read that particular review and I didn't really find anything to complain about either. :)

Thanks man

User is online   Jblade 

Good stuff, echoing what's already been said - I liked my book store :)

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Okay, finally found the time to finish this map. I really enjoy it, while is not as great as yor previous map, it's still very good, with that unique style evolving on its own way. All those clever jokes and places, spritework is excellent. It lacks realism and feels empty on several spots but this is almost unnoticeable due the eye candy design. The game flow is good, also I liked to exploring. This is a really good map, glad you decided to release it!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options