Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Movie...Something's Going On - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Movie...Something's Going On  "Hmmm?"

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Some woman who claims to be a screenwriter/producer, who's also friends with Scott Miller on Facebook, is posting comments on the official Duke Nukem Facebook page and elsewhere asking people to go to this site and vote:

http://dukenukemmoviepoll.com/

Also tweeting about it:

http://twitter.com/#...191252238344192

I've seen that link she posted before. I believe someone on the forums has posted it in the past. No way I'd get that guy to play as Duke, though. I vote for Oliver Price or go CGI.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 23 November 2011 - 02:55 AM

That's all we need. After a disappointing game, an obvious movie after game fail was next, to milk it even more and kill Duke's image even more.
You can't have an actor to replace Duke, simply because he won't have Duke's voice and he won't look like Duke no matter how much he tries.
He needs to be CGI and he needs John St John to play him.
Also wtf would a Duke Nukem movie be about? Duke Nukem is a mix of stereotypical hollywood 80's and 90's action heroes that fights aliens to save the world and likes babes.
How do you make a good movie with a plot so overused and so simple? Also, Duke Nukem is not supposed to talk too much, he's supposed to say one liners in 99% of times.
How do you pull that off in a movie with actors?
A movie would be pointless. I've seen that movie Far Cry that failed and that fucking movie had potential to be good, considering how varied and complex the Far Cry story is, vs Duke Nukem's.
Prepare for fail round 2 everybody.
I have yet to see a movie made after a game, that is not complete shit.

If it wasn't already obvious enough, the people that got the Duke Nukem ip right now, see it as a gold mine and they are fucking desperate to exploit it and just don't know how...
They are obsessed with extorting this Ip and making some money out of it but what they don't know is this ip only gives money when some high quality bars are being met and when real Duke fans are pleased.
Trying to sweet talk Duke fans into paying to watch this movie, won't work anymore because the Duke fans are old dogs that have had the test of fire and time and their bullshit o meter works perfectly and is fully tuned.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 November 2011 - 01:35 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMr.Deviance, on 23 November 2011 - 01:26 AM, said:

Was Tomb Raider that bad?
At least it had some eye candy. :D

This post has been edited by The Commander: 23 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

You can't have an actor to replace Duke, simply because he won't have Duke's voice and he won't look like Duke no matter how much he tries.

Couldn't they dub the actor's voice with Jon St John's? As long as the timing and the lip movement is right.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 23 November 2011 - 01:32 AM, said:

Couldn't they dub the actor's voice with Jon St John's? As long as the timing and the lip movement is right.

That would be obvious to lots of people and it would also be something that directors would consider complicated and retarded from the get go.

View PostThe Commander, on 23 November 2011 - 01:29 AM, said:

Tomb Raider itself was a variation on Indiana Jones to begin with.
When they've made the movie, they went for Indiana Jones adventures with a woman character.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostThe Commander, on 23 November 2011 - 01:29 AM, said:

If you want eye candy in a movie based on a game, then why not give this a go? (haven't seen it myself though yet) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398913/

"If it wasn't already obvious enough, the people that got the Duke Nukem ip right now,"

AFAIK the movie is included in the part that 3DR didn't sell to GBX.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That website is dogshit, and the poll is bullshit. I dunno how well you can hide tattoos in a film, but that's definitely a deal-breaker. Duke is too badass for tattoos.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 23 November 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

That website is dogshit, and the poll is bullshit.

Could be intentional to make it look like it was made by a fan. I agree, that guy has no muscle nor the looks really. He's 48 years old, too. That's a little too old if you ask me. He'd probably be 55 by the time the movie is made. Apparently, she is writing the script for the movie. She admitted it on her Facebook page. The fact that Scott is friends with her and has been for a long time tells me that this is probably legit. That poorly-made website is what makes things strange.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think with some movie magic, and a good workout regimen in preparation for the film, the guy could do a decent enough job. However, barb wire tattoos are for dorks.

There are only three ways the Duke Nukem movie can completely and totally fail:

1. Uwe Boll directs.
2. They try to "water it down" to a PG-13 or (shudder) PG rating.
3. Mark Whalberg is cast as Duke Nukem.

In my personal opinion, Thomas Jane could gain some muscle, work on the voice and bleach his hair to become the EMBODIMENT of Duke. As for the director, I'd go with whoever made the film "Shoot 'Em Up". The Big Four (Metallica, Antrax, Slayer and Megadeth) could do the soundtrack, with a few Motorhead tracks as a bonus.

User is offline   Kathy 

...to Ground Control.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMajor Tom, on 25 November 2011 - 06:08 AM, said:

There are only three ways the Duke Nukem movie can completely and totally fail:

1. Uwe Boll directs.
2. They try to "water it down" to a PG-13 or (shudder) PG rating.
3. Mark Whalberg is cast as Duke Nukem.

In my personal opinion, Thomas Jane could gain some muscle, work on the voice and bleach his hair to become the EMBODIMENT of Duke. As for the director, I'd go with whoever made the film "Shoot 'Em Up". The Big Four (Metallica, Antrax, Slayer and Megadeth) could do the soundtrack, with a few Motorhead tracks as a bonus.

LOL.

First off, Uwe Boll is a good enough director, just look at Postal. All of his crappy movies were doomed from the start, it wasn't his fault. I do like the Tom Jane suggestion, because he is well known to become engrossed in his character. When he did The Punisher, he practically read every major Punisher story arc he could get his hands on, and he dropped out of the sequel because he didn't appreciate where it was going as a fan. Also, shame on you for even mentioning those dorks Metallica, Anthrax, and Slayer as being on the same level as Motorhead. They fucking suck.

User is offline   Ronin 

That website is dogshit, and the poll is bullshit. I dunno how well you can hide tattoos in a film, but that's definitely a deal-breaker. Duke is too badass for tattoos.

Oh really...
Posted Image

I would've said "hell no" to a Duke movie by today's standards. But after looking at that epic Duke Nukem fan trailer, I do think it has potential. Have that guy direct it if ever truly goes into productrion.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 25 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

The only good Duke movie is the one where duke is CGI and has his voice and you can control him with the keyboard and mouse.
There is no good Duke Nukem movie and I would NOT be happy if there was a Duke Nukem movie that had no point of being!
If they make a Duke movie for the "fans" let them know that their fans do not think a movie is a good idea.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 26 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostRipemanewone, on 25 November 2011 - 01:29 PM, said:

Oh really...
Posted Image

Heheheh, I'd hardly consider that canon. And besides, that's nothing like some lameass barb-wire wrap-around arm tattoo.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 27 November 2011 - 10:12 AM, said:

Heheheh, I'd hardly consider that canon. And besides, that's nothing like some lameass barb-wire wrap-around arm tattoo.

Big time, nothing makes you look more like a wanna be hard man than a gay barb wire tattoo, the only thing worse is the guys who get slutty lower back tattoos not realising how stupid they look. When I was 16 I went to town to get a dragon Tattoo that I drew myself, when I got to the shop it was closed thank fuck. I have some now but I like them as I spent ages designing them and planning them, and only I can see them unless Im on a beach or whatever. Never get a tattoo where a judge or potential employer can see it.

User is offline   Martin 

Silent Hill.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 23 November 2011 - 01:32 AM, said:

Bad idea, if you ask me. It wouldn't really be doable with live action, over the course of an entire film. If they had to have JSJ, then they might as well just animate the film. Besides, as much as we all love him, JSJ's strengths as Duke lay in the 'one-liner' realm. I can't imagine a whole script spoken in that silly voice.

I dunno how well you can hide tattoos in a film, but that's definitely a deal-breaker. Duke is too badass for tattoos.

Really easily, they do it all the time. The fact that you've never seen it just goes to show you.

For me, these disagreements about the voice, etc, they're coming from people who don't seem to really understand that film is a totally different media to games. If we look at 'the big four' (films, books, TV and games), there have been many IPs that have crossed over from their original realm to one or more of the others. There are always great changes, and it's for good reason.

For games being made into films, they almost never just transplant the game's storyline over to the film. Depending on the property, you'll always see great reductions from the original source (LOTR, yes even that fucking 4 hour long extended-cut of Return of the King), or conversely great swathes of non-canon to create storyline and intrigue where before there was none (DOOM). If you think these things are wrong, rather than saying anything like "They should make a Duke film exactly like the game" you should be saying "They should not make a Duke film. It would not be a good film". Which is where I'm at with this.

They could never make a good Duke film without adding loads of that stuff, plus a main character that actually speaks at length. At some point, you have to realise that Duke is based on the old-school Arnie films and what have you, and a Duke film would have to harken back to those Schwarzenegger flicks more than to the Duke games in order to work as a film. So it's be an imitation of an imitation. I don't know, maybe someone could pull it off. It's be extremely difficult, though.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMartin, on 28 November 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

Bad idea, if you ask me. It wouldn't really be doable with live action, over the course of an entire film.

It's been done before, though.

User is offline   necroslut 

While I'm still of the opinion that Dolph Lundgren would be the perfekt Duke, that Sandman guy doesn't seem too bad.
A Duke Nukem movie could work, as long as they actually make it a violent old-school ACTION film. I think the major reason most game-to-movie adaptations have failed is because they 1) don't respect the source material and 2) don't respect the movies that influenced the games. I mean, they made Resident Evil an action-scifi-something instead of a zombie movie, Double Dragon an action-comedy instead of a martial arts action film etc. They should make it in the vein of 80's/90's action movies like I Come in Peace with Dolph Lundgren and Predator and the other classics.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostHelel, on 28 November 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

It's been done before, though.

What movies has it been done in?

User is offline   Kathy 

Solaris(1972)

I don't know why, but I find this whole ordeal to be very surreal.

Getting a lackluster game after 14 years of waiting and speculation. The topic of a Duke Nukem movie was often mentioned throughout this absurd span of time, now five months after it comes out some random screenwriter (woman to boot) makes a poor 1997-like website promoting the Sandman to play in the upcoming Duke movie. Who's this "young runt" anyway?

I feel like I'm supposed to wake up any moment.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostHelel, on 30 November 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

Solaris(1972)

I still haven't had a chance to see it yet. :D

View PostMartin, on 28 November 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

Silent Hill.

Sorry but absolutely not!
The Silent Hill movie had nothing to do with the greatness of the games.
They turned Silent Hill into a sadistic piece of shit movie.
Silent Hill is about psychological fears, not about burning characters alive on a stick and watch them scream as they burn...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 December 2011 - 03:31 AM

User is offline   Martin 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 December 2011 - 03:30 AM, said:

Sorry but absolutely not!
The Silent Hill movie had nothing to do with the greatness of the games.
They turned Silent Hill into a sadistic piece of shit movie.
Silent Hill is about psychological fears, not about burning characters alive on a stick and watch them scream as they burn...

I think the operative word is "opinion". In your opinion it is a sadistic piece of shit, in my opinion it was a very good film and adapted the game into film-form in an understandable way. There had to be more narrative. In my opinion, you don't understand the process of adaptation, especially with regards to adapting games to films.

View PostMartin, on 05 December 2011 - 09:35 AM, said:

I think the operative word is "opinion". In your opinion it is a sadistic piece of shit, in my opinion it was a very good film and adapted the game into film-form in an understandable way. There had to be more narrative. In my opinion, you don't understand the process of adaptation, especially with regards to adapting games to films.

I do understand the process of adaptation very well and being a big fan of the games, I found the movie to be shit.
The fact that I found the movie to be shit, doesn't automatically mean that I don't understand the process of adaptation, it simply means that I didn't like the movie.
As for the statement of personal opinion missing from my upper post, I expected you to be clever enough to actually notice that I was talking about what I think of the movie, not about what others think of it.
Sorry for expecting you to actually notice the obvious, without me having to write the words "personal opinion" in every sentence...
But now that you've brought personal opinion into debate, I suggest you check other people's opinions in relation to this movie and you will find that I am definitely not the only person that disliked the movie.
In fact, you can even check some reviews and critic scores like IMDB for ex, that will also reflect some poor grades.
Maybe if I would have watched this movie, without knowing anything about games, I would have found it different and maybe I would even like it more.
However, being a Silent Hill fan since Silent Hill 1 was first released and having played all Silent Hill games made before the release of the movie, I found the movie to be a very bad adaptation.
So no, I don't consider that Silent Hill is a good example of a good movie made after a game.
I have yet to see a decent movie made from a game.
The only area where good relation between a movie and a game can be found, is at the point of making a game after a movie.
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is a great game made after a movie.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 06 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

I own the movie and i like it a lot. I have never played any of the silent hill games. I don't think i would like them. But can't say for sure ofcourse :)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options