Duke4.net Forums: does anyone else feel like dnf still hasn't come out? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

does anyone else feel like dnf still hasn't come out?

User is offline   BFG9000 

i still have such a significant nostalgic attachment to duke3d, 3drealms, and to an extent the years-in-waiting for dnf. seeing each new build/anticipation growing. hell, i even have fond memories of being on the old 3dreams board in like 04' re-playing duke3d and talking about if,when dnf would come out. obviously, a game can't possibly live up to 13 years of expectations, but now the game is here and it's just so "meh", so lukewarm. for the most part the game is a "non-issue" now, to me at least. i played it, beat it, and that's about it. to wait for so long and for the game to leave almost no lasting impression i sometimes feel as if i'm still waiting for the game to come out.

maybe i'm just making too much of it but it's a little depressing.

This post has been edited by BFG9000: 22 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

I actually feel like I never even expected DNF to come out.
I feel like all those years of expecting DNF didn't even exist.
Like I once said some years ago on the 3drealms forums, DNF is no longer about the game, it's about the pleasure of waiting for it and debating useless shit to the point of splitting hairs and risking to get banned for sending everybody that doesn't agree with you, to go fuck themselves.

At one point I also said that the "Duke Nukem Forever" name\logo has become an independent thing that can't be obtained just by releasing a Duke Nukem game that bares this name.
Duke Nukem Forever has become the name that describes the impossible event of releasing greatly expected games in general.
When Duke Nukem Forever was released, we all expected to get Duke Nukem Forever but instead we've got a modern Duke Nukem 3d sequel that didn't have too much in common with the things that some of us imagined we will get.
Duke Nukem Forever is that perfect Duke Nukem game that everybody defines differently.
Duke Nukem Forever is envisioned differently by every Duke fan out there and is a game that can never exist and satisfy every Duke fan out there.

Duke Nukem Forever hasn't been released in reality, we just got a game that made use of this name and was presented as the thing we have waited for 15 years.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Nope. Me and a mate totally prepared for DNF. We had both our PlayStations in his living room ready with two HD TVs. We set our alarm clocks to play Megadeth on that morning. We both went out and got the game as soon as the shops opened. I went out and got a ball of ganja. We got relaly stoned and played DNF. Starting the game up was awesome. That intro cinematic was one of the best things ever. Then we played the game and it sucked. Fin.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

99% of the time, I've forgotten DNF even exists. I'm not joking.. even when I'm on these forums it just doesn't occur to me that there is or ever was a game called Duke Nukem Forever. I think it might be one of those cases where the mind has experienced significant trauma so it covers up the memories to protect itself.

User is offline   LkMax 

I managed to forget the game already. I think even Gearbox did it too.

User is offline   Loke 

Nah, you're not the only one, I feel that I am in the same boat. Still waiting for that game I saw back in 2001. :/

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

As far as I'm concerned, the Duke Nukem 3D modding community has surpassed Gearbox's game in every conceivable way, so I'm more inclined to call the former Duke Nukem Forever, because they truly have done a fantastic job at making Duke Nukem last forever. Meanwhile, Gearbox has already dug Duke's grave for anyone who's never played and enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D in its heyday.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 23 November 2011 - 07:15 AM

User is offline   BFG9000 

View PostMicky C, on 23 November 2011 - 04:56 AM, said:

99% of the time, I've forgotten DNF even exists. I'm not joking.. even when I'm on these forums it just doesn't occur to me that there is or ever was a game called Duke Nukem Forever. I think it might be one of those cases where the mind has experienced significant trauma so it covers up the memories to protect itself.

this is exactly my feeling.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

I've played and beat Duke Nukem Forever ATLEAST 5 times.
Yes, I know its not the best game, and it has a ton of boring parts. For some reason though, I can't help but play it again from time to time. Especially levels like when your shrunk in Duke Burger, for some reason I LOVE the platforming kitchen level.

When I first beat DNF the day it came out, yeah, it was pretty surreal. The hour after I beat it, I felt like I never actually played it and it still hasn't released. Pretty surreal.

User is offline   Dennis 

HaHa, post of the year :D

DNF really sucked

This post has been edited by Dennis: 24 November 2011 - 02:02 AM

That's exactly what I wanted to post in my previous post but I thought that it might sound overly dramatic if I do.
I also feel as if my anti trauma protection mechanism has shut my part of the brain, where DNF exists.
I just view DNF as a monster locked inside a room that's on the side of a huge hallway with lots of mystery doors.
Not only that I don't want to even go near that door, I don't even want to think about the hallway that contains that door among many others.
When ever I try to feel interested in DNF, my avoidance mechanism kicks in and distracts me with something else.

At this point, I can literally say that I even forgot how to get the console and how to tweak and tune DNF even though I've made walls of text and shitloads of new topics about that matter.
I've lost all hope when I finally realized that I was fighting an entire war all by myself and for a lost cause too.
Dnf was the worst possible mood killer ever. I mean, the game manages to not be the best nor the worst game ever and that's the problem.
If it sucks, it should at least suck properly and be miserable so I can be angry with it and hate it completely but no.
The game just feels like a straight horizontal line that runs through the middle of my stomach and comes out through my back, cleverly avoiding all of my orangns or blood vessels.
If DNF stabbed me, I did not bleed at all and I did not even feel it stabbing me so I just let it there and didn't give a shit, kind of like slow amounts of radiation work. Radiation stabs you until it slowly kills you.
Duke Nukem's Forever's radiation kills your mood before it kills you.

t's the incredible mediocrity of it that kills any memory of it. I can't remember it as a good game nor as a horrible game, I can simply not remember it because it's the definition of boring and incomplete.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 24 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

It definitely isn't cathartic now that DNF's out. It just lurks within you like some unexplainable, neutral force.

I haven't really forgotten details from the game, but they're so dull, it's just... odd.

View Postmechmorphix616, on 24 November 2011 - 02:48 AM, said:

It definitely isn't cathartic now that DNF's out. It just lurks within you like some unexplainable, neutral force.

I haven't really forgotten details from the game, but they're so dull, it's just... odd.

To put it short. The game felt like a cheap chinese knock off of what I really expected from it.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 24 November 2011 - 03:08 AM

User is offline   Graywolf 

same here. I was posting on gamespot forums about biggest letdowns of the year,I mentioned lots of stuff and completely forgot DNF, wich is the biggest for me.

User is offline   necroslut 

While it was certainly not the bigger and better Duke 3D sequel I originally hoped for, this was probably what we were getting all along, even back in 2001. The game that really does all that Duke 3D did but takes it even further haven't been released, the closest thing to that is probably Shadow Warrior.
Still, I enjoyed DNF more than any other 3D shooter since Half-Life 2. Yeah, really. More than all the Halos, Gears of Wars, Call of Dutys, F.E.A.R., Crysis games, more than other hyped-up games as Borderlands, Rage and The Darkness, even the Max Payne games. I've beaten DNF five times, while even though I did enjoy them I haven't had the slightest wish to play any of those games again after I've beat them (except for Max Payne and Prey). I was still disappointed in DNF, but not because it was bad, but because it didn't take FPS games to a new level (which is looong overdue).
But since a few years back, this is the DNF I was expecting. In many ways it's a 2001 game with 2006 graphics, and I'm sure that if it had been released ten years back or so it would have gotten 10's from most reviewers (which it wouldn't really have deserved either). So while I do feel that DNF has finally gotten here, "Duke 3D+" still haven't, and since 3DR went down I really wouldn't know where to look for it.
I hope Miller and Broussard cooks up something with another developer again, because if they don't, I'm not sure anyone will do it. Certainly not any of the other FPS developers.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options