Duke4.net Forums: so is the sp dlc dead? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

so is the sp dlc dead?

User is offline   BFG9000 

i pretty much just come here and browse but haven't really seen anything about this since right after release. has there been any word or info at all?

User is offline   ThePinkus 

I don't even think it was confirmed in the first place. I could be wrong though.
I think the only reason we know about it is by people looking around steam files/achivements
It better come out though. Would be nice to see if it includes cut/unfinished content

This post has been edited by ThePinkus: 22 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

so is the sp dlc dead?

I sure as hell hope not, they have to give us something good after not giving us any mod tools or level creator.

This post has been edited by Wesker500: 22 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostWesker500, on 22 November 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

I sure as hell hope not, they have to give us something good after not giving us any mod tools or level creator.

Yeah, right. Do you believe in this yourself?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHelel, on 22 November 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

Yeah, right. Do you believe in this yourself?

Well current speculation is one of the reasons why they wouldn't release mod tools is because people would be able to see any content included for upcoming DLC before it was released, kind of like opening up mapster32 and looking at the unused art tiles. This means that if they don't give us the mod tools or the DLC, that just makes Gearbox look like a huge dick.

Edit: and we wouldn't need to speculate if they'd just tell us things instead of "oh we'll get back to you with that once we've got something" or coming up with lame excuses.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 22 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Editors works for developers by extending the time a game lasts. Probably Gearbox doesn't want DNF to last long.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, at this point I wouldn't count on the DLC. We've heard nothing since launch, you'd at least expect a peep or something. You didn't even hear much from the developers about the last DLC.

User is offline   BFG9000 

well that sucks. the game could really use those other levels.

User is offline   Graywolf 

Lack of Mod tools for nothing, in other words.

View PostWesker500, on 22 November 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

Keep on dreaming.
No they don't "have" to give us anything good because they only care about money not about charity.
They gave something that they openly call "good" even if you like it or not.
Considering the lack of any talks regarding this game and it's rapid price drop, I am 99% sure that DNF doesn't have anybody involved with it anymore.
If you go to Gearbox's HQ I bet there is not even one trace of DNF development team or dev plans left.
Everybody that worked to finish DNF, is either fired or working at Boredomlands 2 and at Aliens: Colonel Gaddafi err... I mean Colonial Marines.
So do yourself a favor and stop expecting anything else for this game.
Unless somebody from the team, magically decides to make an unofficial editor patch and release it in his spare time, then you can say goodbye to any future DNF content.
If anybody still expects Gearbox to suddenly have a change of heart and suddenly become a fan loving company that releases source code for their games and supports modding of their games just so that hardcore fans will like their company more, you obviously don't have the smallest clue of what cold blooded corporatism is.
They would even agree to have our lives shortened by 20 years, if that meant they would get more easy money.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 24 November 2011 - 03:45 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

why would pitchfag work on something he or someone else couldnt do right in 12 years spend a single cent on what would be regarded as the definition as "too little to late"

its almost asif they are trying to sell the expander and newbeast back to us after 12 years, f.u.g.b fat useless failurehomo

can i meet you personally so i can see how many teeth i can remove with my boot, you console ass sucker, yeh thats right praise console shit on your twitter account so you can ass kiss your way to the top to scam more money you fat stupid future-heart-attack victim.

This post has been edited by DanM: 24 November 2011 - 05:04 AM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

If the last DLC didn't come close to meeting sales expectations (who the fuck paid when countless FAC members were giving away their free copies) and the next DLC isn't already finished, releasing it to the public is doubtful. The best you can hope for is an expanded re-release between now and the next Duke game.

User is offline   Oook 

I wish the DLC will come, but I know it won't. Luckyly, now I have Serious Sam 3.
What were people at GBX thinking when they decided to priorize the MP DLC developemente before the SP? Ah, yes, I guess because it was easier to do and cheaper.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostDanM, on 24 November 2011 - 05:00 AM, said:

why would pitchfag work on something he or someone else couldnt do right in 12 years spend a single cent on what would be regarded as the definition as "too little to late"

its almost asif they are trying to sell the expander and newbeast back to us after 12 years, f.u.g.b fat useless failurehomo

can i meet you personally so i can see how many teeth i can remove with my boot, you console ass sucker, yeh thats right praise console shit on your twitter account so you can ass kiss your way to the top to scam more money you fat stupid future-heart-attack victim.

Jaysus, why dont you tell him how you really feel.

User is offline   zwieback 

i think it will come out.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

SS3 has "This is what DNF SHOULD have been" written all over it.

EDIT:

Attached Image: master.jpg

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 24 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMad Max RW, on 24 November 2011 - 07:37 AM, said:

If the last DLC didn't come close to meeting sales expectations (who the fuck paid when countless FAC members were giving away their free copies) and the next DLC isn't already finished, releasing it to the public is doubtful. The best you can hope for is an expanded re-release between now and the next Duke game.

Good point. There were TONS of them on SteamGifts.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 24 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

I was really hoping we would atleast get the SP DLC after seeing the leaked "achievements". But I agree, I don't really see this one coming out anymore if what Mad Max said is any indication (I remember seeing hordes of FAC memebers actually giving away their DLC codes instead of selling them). Hell, I even uninstalled the DLC from my hard drive so I can just play the good ol levels and modes of DNF "Vanilla" without having to worry about the game booting people for not having that shitty stuff.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 24 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

It always sounded a bit too good to be true. Was it something like 12 new single player maps? That's nearly as many as the original game, and that took 13 years to finish hehe. But seriously it's still far more generous than anything gearbox would ever do. So i don't see it happening, but i'm still hoping.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postzwieback, on 24 November 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

i think it will come out.

ditto
http://thejoypads.co...c-achievements/
we need kaisersoze back, or someone into DNF following the action on the internet.

Yes, yes, the game is not the greatest around; but I don't think it's the end, and the DLC is one thing I will buy.

User is offline   You 

Would there be any point for me to pen a formal letter to GBX asking if the SP DLC will be released. No use going through the mods at the forums, the janiator at GBX would have more info then they do.

I personally loathe companies that take the DLC concept and pervert it for the sake of easy money.
DLC was always supposed to be addon stuff created for a complete game and released later either for free or sold extra, in order to extend the game for the fans that had beaten the game and demanded more stuff.
When these mother fuckers start chopping up the complete game and then start selling main features of the game AS DLC, that's when the customers need to stop buying games from such a company, until that company drops these miserable corporatist practices!

I've noticed that 2K in particular practices this type of thievery on other games that they publish.
Did you know that 2K forced Mafia 2's developers to throw away the physics engine and the car damage subsystem which they've worked on for many years, in favor of a rapidly implemented physx engine with that shitty apex that ruined mafia 2 both from a physics standpoint and from a car damage standpoint while introducing shitloads of bugs and lags in the process, making it a big pile of shit.
2K asked the devs of Mafia 2 to remove their hard worked systems in favor of Nvidia's physx engine, just because Nvidia wanted to whore itself all over this game because everybody was looking forward to buying it, which meant more people would buy Nvidia cards, just to experience Mafia 2 with Apex Physx on!
Nvidia paid 2K for this and so 2K asked 2K Czech(mafia 2 dev studio) to replace their hard worked stuff with this in just a few months time and so they did.
I don't blame Nvidia for doing this because Nvidia is a hardware company that just wants to sell more hardware and tries to find opportunities by asking devs and publishers to support Nvidia's physx tech in their games.

2K Games is a franchise destroyer and every dev studio that puts up with their shitty requests is as guilty as they are.
2K asked Gearbox to chop DNF's limbs, nose, hair and ears and turn them into DLC but the problem now is that having chopped those parts, they most likely won't be able to release what they've chopped simply because the sales would not cover the costs of advertising and releasing these new DLCs...
There are most likely shitloads of DNF maps and items that are in perfect working condition that just got shelved because it's not affordable to release them anymore.
If 2k wouldn't have asked Gearbox to chop the game to begin with, now we would have the entire game instead of an incomplete mess.
Gearbox is too fucking cheap to actually be able to release DNF complete and then to create EXTRA shit for it as DLC, so fuck them too.

Did you know that 2K is so sneaky that it actually took Mafia 2 and asked the devs to disable some weapons and cars from the complete game just to have them re-enabled when you installed the DLC?
All of the Mafia 2 DLCs can be found among the game's files and some people were even able to activate all DLCs before the actual DLCs were even released.
This is how 2K rows and they've been caught red handed many times.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 27 November 2011 - 06:28 AM, said:

Did you know that 2K forced Mafia 2's developers to throw away the physics engine and the car damage subsystem which they've worked on for many years, in favor of a rapidly implemented physx engine with that shitty apex that ruined mafia 2 both from a physics standpoint and from a car damage standpoint while introducing shitloads of bugs and lags in the process, making it a big pile of shit.
2K asked the devs of Mafia 2 to remove their hard worked systems in favor of Nvidia's physx engine, just because Nvidia wanted to whore itself all over this game because everybody was looking forward to buying it, which meant more people would buy Nvidia cards, just to experience Mafia 2 with Apex Physx on!
Nvidia paid 2K for this and so 2K asked 2K Czech(mafia 2 dev studio) to replace their hard worked stuff with this in just a few months time and so they did.
I don't blame Nvidia for doing this because Nvidia is a hardware company that just wants to sell more hardware and tries to find opportunities by asking devs and publishers to support Nvidia's physx tech in their games.

2K Games is a franchise destroyer and every dev studio that puts up with their shitty requests is as guilty as they are.
2K asked Gearbox to chop DNF's limbs, nose, hair and ears and turn them into DLC but the problem now is that having chopped those parts, they most likely won't be able to release what they've chopped simply because the sales would not cover the costs of advertising and releasing these new DLCs...
There are most likely shitloads of DNF maps and items that are in perfect working condition that just got shelved because it's not affordable to release them anymore.
If 2k wouldn't have asked Gearbox to chop the game to begin with, now we would have the entire game instead of an incomplete mess.
Gearbox is too fucking cheap to actually be able to release DNF complete and then to create EXTRA shit for it as DLC, so fuck them too.

Did you know that 2K is so sneaky that it actually took Mafia 2 and asked the devs to disable some weapons and cars from the complete game just to have them re-enabled when you installed the DLC?
All of the Mafia 2 DLCs can be found among the game's files and some people were even able to activate all DLCs before the actual DLCs were even released.
This is how 2K rows and they've been caught red handed many times.

So 2K forced a developer to use PhysX? Oh my, and the other developer could use Havoc for LA Noire?
Here is an interview with the developer
http://www.pcgamesha...-die/Knowledge/
It was supposed to be show piece for the game, not nVidia per se. And they too reduced the game effects to suit the Console. Yes, it sucks, but it's a fact of gamers reality.

As for DLC. Wow, you make it sound only 2K plans to feed their employees
http://www.vg247.com...of-1-1-billion/
It's not unusual to program and disable some features.

View PostHank, on 27 November 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

So 2K forced a developer to use PhysX? Oh my, and the other developer could use Havoc for LA Noire?
Here is an interview with the developer
http://www.pcgamesha...-die/Knowledge/
It was supposed to be show piece for the game, not nVidia per se. And they too reduced the game effects to suit the Console. Yes, it sucks, but it's a fact of gamers reality.

"if you have the extra hardware we are able to push things to a whole new level which has not yet been seen in open world game before. Our destructible environments feature thousands of physical particles which in turn can be affected by individual explosion force fields to make them move. It's all very impressive and it's these kinds of improvements that high end PC gamers can expect. "
That line there is bullshit. The shit they have delivered with mafia 2 in terms of physics has been seen many times before. There was nothing impressing about their physx implementation.
Also, why do you read what the devs say in an interview? Do you actually expect them to bad mouth their publisher and talk about how they were asked to replace their subsystems with physx?
Nobody is going to tell you that what they are working on right now, is going to suck when compared with their previous work that they had to cut, unless they want to lose sales.
There is in fact a way to disable the physx engine entirely from the game and actually enable the old physics engine that also activates the dynamic car damage subsystem which doesn't work when physx is on.
If you tweak Mafia2's cfg files found inside it's archives, you can actually get the cars to damage like they did in Mafa 1, without having predamaged models loaded on the moment of impact.

View PostHank, on 27 November 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

As for DLC. Wow, you make it sound only 2K plans to feed their employees
http://www.vg247.com...of-1-1-billion/
It's not unusual to program and disable some features.

I focused on 2k because that's what interested me in this debate.
I didn't say 2k is the only one that does this, I just focused on 2k here because 2k is directly involved with the object of our debate which is DNF and it's DLC.
I know there are many other publishers and dev studios that do this but not THAT many. Usually you can count these publishers with one hand.
Also you make it sound as if you are defending 2k and Activision when you are saying that with these practices they plan to feed their employees.
If by feeding you mean, paying them subpar salaries while whoring all the cash to themselves, up to the point where they risk having entire KEY dev studios quit over night and then sue them for refusing to pay them the agreed money percentages from the sale profits, then yeah I agree with you too.
If you didn't yet hear, inform yourself about Infinity ward's departure and then tell me how well did Activision fed these employees of theirs.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't really care if devs release DLC or not, but it is pretty much unfair business practice to make people pay to activate something they've technically already paid for.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 27 November 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

Also, why do you read what the devs say in an interview? Do you actually expect them to bad mouth their publisher and talk about how they were asked to replace their subsystems with physx?

Yes

View PostMr.Deviance, on 27 November 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

I focused on 2k because that's what interested me in this debate.
I didn't say 2k is the only one that does this, I just focused on 2k here because 2k is directly involved with the object of our debate which is DNF and it's DLC.
I know there are many other publishers and dev studios that do this but not THAT many. Usually you can count these publishers with one hand.
Also you make it sound as if you are defending 2k and Activision when you are saying that with these practices they plan to feed their employees.
If by feeding you mean, paying them subpar salaries while whoring all the cash to themselves, up to the point where they risk having entire KEY dev studios quit over night and then sue them for refusing to pay them the agreed money percentages from the sale profits, then yeah I agree with you too.
If you didn't yet hear, inform yourself about Infinity ward's departure and then tell me how well did Activision fed these employees of theirs.

I simply used other corporations as a sample that DLCs are common, not limited to 2K.
And it's the other way around. 2K Czech is laying off real people. If DLCs makes cash, and they enhance the game or extend it, I am for DLCs, because I will buy them. If they were built in the game CD set, and I get an unlock code only, well, you are SOL. No deal.

If you screw the developer, in the end you screw yourself. Call of Duty is a huge brand. Question to you, why would you fire your stars? I don't buy the story. 2/3 of the team stood on and finished the MW3. I think they'll have a good Xmas, what say you?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Duke Nukem is dead, GBX killed him off and replaced him with Douche Nukem in DNF.

User is offline   necroslut 

We didn't really hear anything about the MP DLC either until right before it was released. And JSJ said quite a while ago that he was recording new Duke lines, something involving singing (which matches the DLCs description), and the DLC achievements are already up on Steam. It's probably already done and they're just waiting for the right time to release it, which would have been several monts ago but we just got the MP DLC so... They're probably just idiots.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostHank, on 27 November 2011 - 08:48 PM, said:

If you screw the developer, in the end you screw yourself. Call of Duty is a huge brand. Question to you, why would you fire your stars? I don't buy the story. 2/3 of the team stood on and finished the MW3. I think they'll have a good Xmas, what say you?

For 2k and other large businesses a handful of developers aren't stars. Anybody is replaceable and they all answer to the bottom line. The brand is what sells, not some guy with a swollen head. It didn't work for Randy Pitchford, or CiffyB, or the last few games from Warren Spector and Will Wright.

User is offline   zwieback 

everybody that thinks developers aren't replaceable, lives in the past.

and no, i don't like it either.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options