Duke4.net Forums: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  "Official thread."

User is offline   Martin 

0_0

That's beast! I've been doing a little bit of the "buy all the iron ingots in Whiterun, make as many daggers as you can, enchant every single one of them with some shitty enchantment, sell the resultant daggers for mucho gold/XP profit" thing. My smithing is 70+, can't remember what my enchanting is. Not as good as smithing, but not bad. What exactly is it that you did?

I just did a pretty good "break the game" thing. Bought a house and all the upgrades for 0 gold. What you do is, go to the steward of whatever town you wanna buy a house in (obviously the Jarl has to give you permission). Now, when you go through the dialogue options with the steward, go through them as normal. As soon as you've pressed X (or whatever button 'OK' is for your platform of choice) to purchase a house/upgrades, fucking dive to the nearest container and stash all your money in it before the steward takes your payment from your wallet. You still get the goods, he doesn't seem to give a shit that you didn't pay him.

It DOES NOT work if you don't have enough money for the property/furnishing that you don't want to pay for. If you don't have the funds, he just says "Sorry, you don't have enough" as you would expect. The key here is that once the decision is made to purchase, it takes a couple seconds for the money to go out of your inventory. This is your window.

It MAY NOT work if your sneak skill isn't high enough, or cause more trouble than it's worth. My guy is now the baddest of bad-ass thieves. My base Sneak is in the 80s, and is further improved with a couple bits of enchanted apparel which increase my sneak, and vampirism which gives me +25% sneak on top. While ducking, I can move around right under someone's nose. As long as I'm not being a real dick, they won't see me. The point here is that even placing items into an owned container infringes the law. Furthermore, once the money has gone into their chest of draws, or their straw sack, etc, it is their money. You must steal it back and repeat the process in order to have your fully-furnished home for nothing.

Not sure if this is just a PS3 thing.

What wives/husbands is everybody rocking? As stated before, I'm with Mjoll the Lioness. She's badass.

User is offline   Jeff 

Watch this video

You can buy all the materials at vendors to make all the potions and armor. It's really tricky to do. I screwed it up a few times, which is why I spent a day on this.

Bad thing is, although you'll have a killer weapon, it might take away the fun of the game because with that amount of damage, you'll just go around one shotting things. There was another video, where a guy with a potion to increase the damage to his bow by 120% basically one shot a dragon.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I was getting excited about this game until I read the last few posts. Apparently, a lot of the game consists of wheeling and dealing and crafting items. Sounds like a chore. If I'm going to do that, I would rather do it in real life and make actual money.

User is offline   Jeff 

I thought the guy from the trailer sounded familiar

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostDeeperThought, on 28 November 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

I was getting excited about this game until I read the last few posts. Apparently, a lot of the game consists of wheeling and dealing and crafting items. Sounds like a chore. If I'm going to do that, I would rather do it in real life and make actual money.

I guess so. In other games I've played (eg. WoW), you craft your weapon and it does a ton of damage already. Sure you can enhance it, but the big damage is already on there. I guess Skyrim is the opposite. Start with a low damage weapon and build up through potions or enhancements.

Ooops, double post.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 28 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

User is offline   Kyphros 

No, what you're doing with the last posts is to use maths to break the game. You're not supposed to do that.
It's like if you said, oh, this game is all about wall jumping when you spoke about Wow in the one instance where you can go right to the end by walljumping.

User is offline   Jeff 

My WoW post never mentioned wall jumping. I said the items you make already have lots of damage on them, and adding enchants to them makes them slightly stronger.

As for Skyrim, those enchants are found within the game. As are the potions to up the enchant's power. I wouldn't consider that an exploit of any kind.

Unlike WoW, Skyrim is a single player game. If everyone in WoW had a 40 damage sword and I had a 1500 damage sword that would be a problem. However, with Skyrim, you're only playing against yourself, so there's no way to ruin someone else's game by what you're doing.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 29 November 2011 - 12:38 AM

Uh sorry, I forgot to quote, I was answering to DeeperThought.

User is offline   Twig 

Skyrim will be getting a proper mod support. But then again, when was ever a doubt for that. :D

http://www.rockpaper...ng-mod-support/

User is offline   Jeff 

Not sure about you guys, but I seem to be getting a lot of CTD since this patch.

CTD? What does that mean?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Crash To Desktop...

Oh okay. Never seen that abbreviation.

I guess they made it primarily for consoles, once again.

User is offline   Jeff 

I guess a consolized CTD would be something like the game quitting unexpectedly and going back to the PS3 menu. For someone with a computer, game crashes, and you're back at the desktop.

User is offline   Martin 

Loaded up Skyrim today, for the first time in a week. There's a patch for PS3. Not sure what it does, but I'm guessing it's to enhance performance. Mine's been a lot smoother than usual.

You'll also experience skill loss, dragons flying backwards and things like that.

Also I feel like I broke the game without even cheating.
=>boost forging with a potion and a full set of random crappy enchanted armor (16% each piece)
=>improve a full dragonscale armor set
=>improve weapons too
=>final result: 230 of armor rating, 105 damage 2-handed swords and 95 damage bows. I kill everything in one shot with the bows (3x bonus) and nothing hurts me more than a single pixel column in the health bar. Extreme difficulty.
=>even the werewolf mode is lame.

User is offline   Ronin 

I used to play Skyrim...but then I took an arrow to the knee. No, but I did lose 50 hours of gameplay having to do a restore on my pc that didnt replace my files, when Windows 7 wouldnt start and the repair didnt work.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 04 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

User is offline   Martin 

Played it a lot today. No backwards flying dragons, or any weirdness at all. My friend Josh says the PC one is currently pretty broken. My one's fine.

User is offline   Ronin 

Had to start Skyrim again today for the third time after I got a new hard drive, thankfully its so big and diverse that you never play the same game twice, I had 50 hours clocked up and had not even touched the main story. Im now backing up my saves....just in case. I could use console commands to put myself back to where I was skill and level wise but I think that would kind of ruin the game for me, I can't bring myself to cheat until I have beaten the game properly. The game is playing beautifully on ultra settings I don't know why people are saying the pc version is broken, maybe they just have crap pcs.

User is offline   Jeff 

I've got all my saves backed up for this, as well as some other RPGs I play. Can't afford to lose hundreds of hours of work due to a hardware failure or otherwise.

User is offline   Ronin 

Yeah I learned that lesson the hard way, 50 hours I played then freeze and no way to recover data, I do system restore to factory setting start again...20 hours in crash! Total hard drive failure did the test it was completely fucked, had a new one sent to me, start again.....and its still fun just go in a differant direction and do differant stuff.

I tried skyrim today and i must say that i think it sucks. The stuff where i really thought this game would be good with exploring and all was disapointing because i kept getting bugs. So i'm waiting for final fantasy 13-2 to give me a good gaming experience again :)

User is offline   Ronin 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 10 December 2011 - 02:01 PM, said:

I tried skyrim today and i must say that i think it sucks. The stuff where i really thought this game would be good with exploring and all was disapointing because i kept getting bugs. So i'm waiting for final fantasy 13-2 to give me a good gaming experience again :)

You must be playing on an old PS3 or something because I hear the Xbox version is great and the PS3 are having massive issues which is not suprising seeing as devs don't seem to like make games for it, the only bugs I found on the pc are amusing and not at all game breaking, it crashed to desktop twice in 60 hours which is ok with me for any game because you save all the time anyway. And exploring is probably the best part of Skyrim, its a work of art.

User is offline   Jeff 

I'm more of an explorer kind of guy. Doing quests is kind of boring for me. I was running around discovering stuff this morning. Ran into a couple dragons on the way and got some good stuff.

User is offline   Martin 

I play on PS3, and I haven't seen any bad bugs. 90 hours in.

User is offline   Jeff 

Oh someone said that if you use the no-clip cheat and set your run speed too fast, the game won't be able to keep up and it'll crash. I guess that's what was happening with me. I guess it wasn't designed to go running across the map at 10 times normal walking speed.

User is offline   Martin 

I'm nearly 140 hours in, now. Done the main quest, done most of the side quests. My character is an absolute god, now. Everything dies with one arrow, whether they're alerted or not (sneaking damage bonus doesn't come into it). I need the DLC to come out.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Picked this up on steam last week for $5 and it has been a guilty pleasure since then. The pace is slow, the graphics are average, the AI is glitchy, the story is mediocre, the controls are a bit clunky, the crafting is tedious, and the loot is nothing special. But despite all that, it's still compelling enough that I keep playing. It's a very ambitious game and while it has many flaws, when considered as a whole package it is hard to put down. I don't foresee myself playing after I finish the main quest, though.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It has an official HRP in Steamworks.

I do recommend the side quests, though, as they are usually better than the main quest. Haven't gotten very far in Skyrim yet though. Oblivion had some awesome side stories. Dark Brotherhood anyone? Thieves' Guild?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 July 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

It has an official HRP in Steamworks.

Good to know, but after a search it looks like there are better texture packs than the official one. I'm not sure that a texture pack would help the graphics very much, there are other more important factors like the overall style.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 July 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

I do recommend the side quests, though, as they are usually better than the main quest. Haven't gotten very far in Skyrim yet though. Oblivion had some awesome side stories. Dark Brotherhood anyone? Thieves' Guild?

I have been doing side-quests, but I'm pretty sure I will get bored of the game before I finish the main quest if I do too many of them.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options