Duke4.net Forums: Your Favourite Resident Evil - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Favourite Resident Evil

Poll: Your Favourite Resident Evil (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Favourite Resident Evil?

1. Resident Evil (1996) (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

2. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (1997) (3 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Resident Evil 2 (1998) (5 votes [18.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

4. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) (5 votes [18.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

5. Resident Evil Survivor (2000) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Resident Evil Code: Veronica (2000) (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

7. Resident Evil Gaiden (2001) (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Resident Evil (GC remake 2002) (3 votes [11.11%] - View)

9. Resident Evil Zero (2002) (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Resident Evil: Dead Aim (2003) (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Resident Evil Outbreak (2003) (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Resident Evil Outbreak File #2 (2004) (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Resident Evil 4 (2005) (4 votes [14.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

14. Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (2006) (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

15. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007) (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Resident Evil 5 (2009) (3 votes [11.11%] - View)

17. Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (2009) (0 votes [0.00%])

18. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (2011) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Martin 

I recently bought RE4, RE5 and RE: Director's Cut from PSN. Basically, I've been playing a lot of Resident Evil this past week. Having RE on the brain, I started thinking of my favourite moments and games in the series. In this topic, you will find a poll containing each and every major RE game since the original. Simply vote for your favourite!

I'm not going to vote, yet. I basically have it narrowed down to the original game, RE2, or RE4. Of course, without the original, we wouldn't have any of the others. But then, RE2 was an amazing game at the time. As was RE4. Then there was REmake. Fuck. Can't decide.

^Listen to that to put you in the RE mood for this topic!

Note: The operative word is 'favourite', not 'best'. It's all just subjective, so the question has been phrased for a subjective answer. For example, the original might be your favourite simply because it's so bad that it's good. Or whatever.

User is offline   Kathy 

I only played RE4.

User is offline   Martin 

What did you think of it?

User is offline   CruX 

The GC remake of the original is my personal favorite, though it's a near-tie with RE Zero. RE2 was good too, but a bit too dated for me to appreciate fully (The PSX era graphics just turns me off too much); it really deserves a remake. Apart from RE4, I haven't played a lot of the other titles mentioned, and I deliberately avoid RE5.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMartin, on 09 November 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

What did you think of it?

It was sublime.

User is offline   Kyphros 

I played a lot of them, and I must say that they perfected the series in the #4. However, even if the 5 was a bit ridiculous with Chris punching giant boulders and a "modernized" gameplay (aka made easier for consoles), it had cooperation, and the whole game was a blast when I played it with my bro over the LAN. Much funnier than Resident Evil 4, if you ask me. That's why I voted for the #5 even if without cooperation it's plain bullshit.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostEmericaSkater, on 09 November 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

The GC remake of the original is my personal favorite, though it's a near-tie with RE Zero. RE2 was good too, but a bit too dated for me to appreciate fully (The PSX era graphics just turns me off too much); it really deserves a remake.

Good shout. REmake might also be my favourite of the whole lot. Certainly my favourite example of the 'classic' RE gameplay. Indeed, if RE2 was remade in the same way, it'd be beyond awesome.

View PostEmericaSkater, on 09 November 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

Apart from RE4, I haven't played a lot of the other titles mentioned, and I deliberately avoid RE5.

RE5 is awesome, but only in two-player. It sucks in single-player. Basically only ever play that game if you're going to play it split-screen or online.

View PostKyphros, on 09 November 2011 - 11:51 AM, said:

However, even if the 5 was a bit ridiculous with Chris punching giant boulders and a "modernized" gameplay (aka made easier for consoles).

Don't really get how they 'made it easier for consoles', RE has always been a console game, and RE5 was no different. It has the same basic difficulty as RE4, as the gameplay is nigh-on identical. It's basically two-player RE4 with a different setting.

User is offline   Kyphros 

View PostMartin, on 09 November 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

Don't really get how they 'made it easier for consoles', RE has always been a console game, and RE5 was no different. It has the same basic difficulty as RE4, as the gameplay is nigh-on identical. It's basically two-player RE4 with a different setting.

You can aim while walking, there are autosaves, the global difficulty is lower, etc. That kind of stuff allows to be slower and make more errors, and thus is easier to be played on consoles with their ridiculous sticks.

User is offline   Kathy 

Soooo... RE was dumbed down for consoles, right? :D

User is offline   Martin 

View PostKyphros, on 09 November 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

You can aim while walking

False.

there are autosaves

There are autosaves/checkpoints in RE4, also. Dying in RE4 takes you back to either your last save point, or the last loading screen, whatever was nearer.

the global difficulty is lower, etc.

False.

That kind of stuff allows to be slower and make more errors, and thus is easier to be played on consoles with their ridiculous sticks.

Resident Evil is a console game. You talk as if they ported it from a PC original.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostMartin, on 09 November 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

RE5 is awesome, but only in two-player. It sucks in single-player. Basically only ever play that game if you're going to play it split-screen or online.

Eh, I only saw my brother play it once when I was visiting him and my parents a few years ago. I know it was done in the same style as RE4, but RE4 still retained a great element of survival horror that gave the franchise so much appeal, whereas RE5 seemed to just break away from that entirely. Of course if I'm wrong, feel free to call me on that. Like I said, I've never played it, but what I saw of it didn't give me much motivation to, either.

I voted Code Veronica, purely because I don't own RE 5 and I suspect... as stated above... that it won't be so good in Single Player, and I'm a single player guy, that and I did really enjoy Code Veronica and I never beat it (Someone snapped my disc, I was in social services care at the time).

I mean, ffs, it's supposed to be survival horror, how is it horror if I can play with someone else?

Actually, I'm really crazy about survival horror right now, I played a game from Capcom called Haunting Ground and it managed to become my favorite game of all time, the past couple of days I have spent hours trying out Project Zero (Tecmo) and Silent Hill (Konami) - gotta say, I think I'm going to prefer Project Zero over Silent Hill, but I've only played the first Silent Hill so I'm not judging it yet as I don't like the PS1. Oh yeah, I also wrote a letter to Capcom about Clock Tower and Haunting Ground, I want more!

Anyhow... yeah, I'm not a big fan of Resident Evil anyway - you get weapons, it's for pussies who aren't tough enough to play real survival horror - but it is good and I do enjoy playing it.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 09 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

User is offline   Martin 

View PostEmericaSkater, on 09 November 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

Eh, I only saw my brother play it once when I was visiting him and my parents a few years ago. I know it was done in the same style as RE4, but RE4 still retained a great element of survival horror that gave the franchise so much appeal, whereas RE5 seemed to just break away from that entirely. Of course if I'm wrong, feel free to call me on that.

It's not that you're 'wrong'. I guess we just see it differently. I never found RE4 scary, I don't think. Perhaps it nagged at my sense of doubt/worry on the first playthrough, but RE5 did that too. I can't really think of a 'scary' scenario in RE4 that doesn't have some kind of equivalent in RE5, and I've been playing both games over the past week. In fact, there's one moment - the bit with those spiky-humanoid things which you need to use the IR scoped sniper in order to kill it's plagas. That part takes place in some kind of deserted hospital. Beyond that small part of the game, there's nothing 'scary' RE4 does that 5 doesn't. On first playthroughs, there's a roughly equivalent amount of ammo, etc. You unlock infinite ammo guns on both games for successive playthroughs.

The Majini of RE5 are slightly tougher than the Ganados of RE4, too. Later on in the game you'll have to deal not only with the big chaingun guy, but also Majini army regulars touting AK-47s. RE4 is definitely a longer game, and it's darker. I think people just remember those sorts of general things, and therefore say that RE4 was scarier. I never get why people don't bring up the merchant in "RE4 v RE5" disputes. He might be the greatest thing in the whole series.

"Got some RARE things on sale, stranger!"

User is offline   CruX 

Kind of a shame to see RE Zero isn't getting any love. One of the reasons it's one of my favorites are the protagonists. I found Billy to be an interesting anti-hero sort, and it was cool to see Rebecca get a bit more of the limelight since she was only person in Bravo to survive the first game. I was really hoping there was a way to save Richard. It pissed me off when I went through all that shit to save him from the giant snake, just stand helplessly by and watch him get eaten by a god damned shark.

I've played them all from first to last and I must say Resident Evil 3 was my favorite!
Who played it too will smile at the names S.T.A.R.S and Nemsis !

User is offline   Martin 

Indeed, Nemesis was a quality game, and in some important ways was better than the other classic RE games.

User is offline   fatfat1 

View PostMartin, on 13 November 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

Indeed, Nemesis was a quality game, and in some important ways was better than the other classic RE games.

What are you buying, What are you selling

User is offline   fatfat1 

I voted for 5 because i like to play mercanaries often but i like 4,2,1 but the older ones were much much harder. You would have to conserve your ammo and not over use the herbs. I never competed number 1 or 3 but i had to use a cheat disk for number 2 it was just to hard lol. Good old exploder for ps1

User is offline   Martin 

View Postfatfat1, on 06 December 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

What are you buying, What are you selling

That's RE4.

View Postfatfat1, on 06 December 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

I voted for 5 because i like to play mercanaries often but i like 4,2,1 but the older ones were much much harder. You would have to conserve your ammo and not over use the herbs. I never competed number 1 or 3 but i had to use a cheat disk for number 2 it was just to hard lol. Good old exploder for ps1

You're right, they were a lot harder. Not for all the right reasons, though. The atmospheric camera angles fucked you over sometimes with off-screen monsters that you could hear but not see. As you said, ammo was very scarce. So you didn't want to just shoot in the general direction you believed them to be, in case you missed and wasted valuable ammunition. For people of my generation who played those games when they were new, it's not such a big deal and we can still play them today without too much adjustment. People of my nephew's generation, however..

View Postfatfat1, on 06 December 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

It's interesting that you say that you like to play resident evil 5, especially when you just said that your pc is a 1.8ghz celeron 1 core and 1gb ram.
I am pretty sure that with such a pc, Resident evil 5 is unplayable.
Do you have it on a console?

User is offline   Martin 

Currently trying to do on RE4 HD what I could never do before - earn the Handcannon. This is the third platform I've had the game on, and the closest I ever got before was on PS2. Had done all four stages with all five characters with five stars, except Leon on castle. It's really difficult!

Edit I am now the proud owner of the Handcannon. Who wants to touch me?

This post has been edited by Martin: 13 December 2011 - 05:04 AM

When i was a little my dad came home with a bunch of pirated psx games. One of them was a resident evil game. I remember playing as a woman, and there is a big zombie and you can see his teeth. Which game is that?
I couldn't beat it back then, i probably wasn't even close. I might try it again.

User is offline   Martin 

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, by the sounds of things?

Yea dude thanks a lot! Many memories there :)

User is offline   Martin 

So now on RE4 I have the Handcannon, the P.R.L., and the Chicago Typewriter. Gotten all the bottlecaps, and am now going through the game to get one last trophy (for killing Verdugo) and get enough money to buy the Infinite Rocket Launcher. I will then have, officially, totally spanked the game once and for all. Hooray! I've just got CODE: Veronica (and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD) from the PSN Store. So much Resident Evil! I haven't played this one since the Dreamcast days, and have never played the 'X' version.

User is offline   Pseudopode 

Resident Evil II is my favourite. :)
When I was younger, I used to play the two scenarios one after the other, almost 15 hours successively. :P

I loved the first one. Creepy as hell when it first came out. It will always have a special place in my heart.

RE DC was rather disappointing. I hated the new generic music and all the costume switches made the game a joke. It was like a knock-off toy. And where was the uncensored intro? As bad as the intro was already, why make promises you can't keep? The game felt like someone was trying to make a parody of the original.

RE2 was very good, but too easy IMO. I would always have nearly 200 Handgun bullets left by the end. Takes the survival out of survival horror. But it loved the A and B games and all the extras. It made this game so well rounded. I also love Mr. X.

RE3 seemed rather comical to me. Bright colors, not many scares. The funky dodge system. The gunpowder thing was really strange to me. I never heard of freeze grenades before. I like looking at hooker Jill, even though it doesn't make sense to be in there. Nemesis seemed like a exaggerated version of Mr. X to me which I didn't like.

RE:CV was disappointing to me. The full 3d was a good concept but it sadly lacked the graphics and textures to go with it. The game had bizarre locations and the diffculty was really uneven. You never know when the game is going to switch charactes on you making one character end up with the better weapons. I really hated that Steve guy.

RE:GC I love this game almost as much as the original. Brought the fear back in with whopping good graphics and new twists and turns in the game. I was just upset I had to hook up my GC to play rather than on my pc. It could have used some cool extras too like RE2.

RE4. Good fun game, but this is when RE series changed like Batman Returns to Batman Forever. It started trying to reach a larger audience and do away with the suspense and fear that the series was founded on. I had fun with it, but I hesitate to call it Resident Evil. There was no scary parts in this game except maybe the guy jumping out of the giant oven.

RE UC. I always thought if House of the Dead met RE, it would be amazing. Honestly I was kinda disappointed. It was fun while it lasted, but I couldn't help but feel the the game felt really really short. Or maybe it was because it tooks mere tidbits from each game rather than really dive into all the locations. And the RE3 chapter was horrible. It was completely different from the game. But it was nice to see Jill wrap her legs around the zombies face in a cutscene which didn't make any sense. Also, the final chapter is just plain weird and too sci fi and doesn't fit into the Resident evil story.

RE5. Same opinion as 4. Better graphics obviously, but shallow characters, dull cliche plot, and lack of innovation that 4 brought in. I'm starting to see a strange blend with Gears of War here. This game wasn't scary at all.

Sadly, the majority of young gamers today have only played RE4 and up. They bitch and complain about the original ones being too hard and boring. Pretty soon Resident Evil will be Gears of Evil or Residents of Duty.

I really wish they would bring back the scary horror RE. We went from survival horror to the matrix (b/c of Paul Anderson) to nearly generic FPS.

User is offline   Martin 

Dude, RE hasn't been 'survival-horror' for a decade now. Since Code Veronica, in fact. If you want survival-horror, just go play Dead Space.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostMartin, on 27 January 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

If you want survival-horror, just go play Dead Space.

Why? What's so bad about wanting the franchise to go back to its roots?

User is offline   thatguy 

So no Resident Evil Revelations? That game was actually a lot better than most of the games. Anyways, if I had to select, I liked the last two games, 4 & 5. They got rid of all the crap that limited the game (bad cameras, horrible dialogue, annoying shooting mechanics and controls, etc.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options