Duke4.net Forums: Could use make your own duke game - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could use make your own duke game

User is offline   fatfat1 

I dont know is it would be possible but alot of use have experience in different engines, art, modelling and programming and was wondering if use wanted to could use make your own duke game.

I bet alot of you could even come up with a very good storyline aswell.

Thanks Aaron

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Two things.
1) People already tried that with Duke Nukem Reloaded: it failed.
2) We're already doing that on the build engine. With Polymer, TROR, and the engine's extensive scripting language, there isn't really a great deal of things that modern engines can do better than EDuke32. At the very least, making mods is easier and faster in build than modern engines, and they're usually more fun too.

Btw, check out Duke Nukem Eternity on youtube if you haven't already.

I know i heard about that interceptor team and ill check duke nukem eternity out now

Thanks

View PostMicky C, on 24 October 2011 - 05:18 AM, said:

Two things.
1) People already tried that with Duke Nukem Reloaded: it failed.
2) We're already doing that on the build engine. With Polymer, TROR, and the engine's extensive scripting language, there isn't really a great deal of things that modern engines can do better than EDuke32. At the very least, making mods is easier and faster in build than modern engines, and they're usually more fun too.

Btw, check out Duke Nukem Eternity on youtube if you haven't already.

That Duke Nukem Eternity looks amazing to bad my computer would blow up if i attempted to run something like that

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

View Postfatfat1, on 24 October 2011 - 05:29 AM, said:

That Duke Nukem Eternity looks amazing to bad my computer would blow up if i attempted to run something like that

You need a license to do a Duke Nukem game, without using the Build Engine.
The hard part is getting the license. The even harder part is to get a license for a release.
Most licenses doesn't state anything about releases - Just that you are granted permission to "Create" the game, based on the pitch you presented.
For most, its obvious that a license to "Create" also allows a release. For others it's not.

My personal experience is to do something based on another/original IP. Make sure your product isn't owned by anyone else besides you, before even starting working on it.
This will allow you to personally control what happens and doesn't happen with the project.

This post has been edited by fresch: 26 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Postfresch, on 24 October 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

The hard part is getting the license. The even harder part is to get a license for a release.
Most licenses doesn't state anything about releases - Just that you are granted permission to "Create" the game, based on the pitch you presented.
For most, its obvious that a license to "Create" also allows a release. For others it's not.

My personal experience is to do something based on another/original IP. Make sure your product isn't owned by anyone else besides you, before even starting working on it.
This will allow you to personally control what happens and doesn't happen with the project.

Simply put, you were mislead by Gearbox big time! What was their point allowing the creation and no release? To steal it from you and owe nothing is what I thought all along. Lots of us had a feeling it was too good to be true from day one. Wish we were wrong.....

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 24 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View Postfatfat1, on 24 October 2011 - 05:01 AM, said:

I dont know is it would be possible but alot of use have experience in different engines, art, modelling and programming and was wondering if use wanted to could use make your own duke game.

I bet alot of you could even come up with a very good storyline aswell.

Thanks Aaron

Everything is possible. Are you willing to do the work? And if yes, what is your strenght? Do you like the Crytek engine? Does it have to be Duke Nukem, or can it be his brother? etc.

This post has been edited by Hank: 24 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I can see the new fan game now... "The adventures of Al Nukem: to kick ass or not to kick ass".

User is offline   ---- 

View PostVinsaneOne, on 24 October 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

Simply put, you were mislead by Gearbox big time! What was their point allowing the creation and no release? To steal it from you and owe nothing is what I thought all along. Lots of us had a feeling it was too good to be true from day one. Wish we were wrong.....

Please note, the following line is an absolute personal opinion not being based on facts or any internal conversations I heard:

It probably was also done to "silence" the Duke community for the lack of mod tools and the lack of a good game inside the DNF box.

And GBX was very fast to say "the license is still granted" when Reloaded was put on hold due to the lack of a possible release. But then ... what is the use of a license when a release isn't granted.
And when I said "Yes, GBX didn't kill Reloaded ... it only butchered it to pieces" I got temp-banned over at the GBX forums and Adam Fletcher said I was spreading lies (which I didn't do).

Fact is, that the motivation in the team was at a low point early summer when it became more and more apparent that nothing must be released soon or at all. Why work on something that you might never be able to release?

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View Postfuegerstef, on 25 October 2011 - 01:05 AM, said:

Please note, the following line is an absolute personal opinion not being based on facts or any internal conversations I heard:

It probably was also done to "silence" the Duke community for the lack of mod tools and the lack of a good game inside the DNF box.

And GBX was very fast to say "the license is still granted" when Reloaded was put on hold due to the lack of a possible release. But then ... what is the use of a license when a release isn't granted.
And when I said "Yes, GBX didn't kill Reloaded ... it only butchered it to pieces" I got temp-banned over at the GBX forums and Adam Fletcher said I was spreading lies (which I didn't do).

Fact is, that the motivation in the team was at a low point early summer when it became more and more apparent that nothing must be released soon or at all. Why work on something that you might never be able to release?

"Someone" could sue Gearbox... Of course the publisher might shield them, so maybe take on 2k first... I mean what the hell else are we or you going to be able to do? Gearbox gets to play God with this game.

Actually, you could do what 3DRealms did back in the day when the sequel to Wolfenstein got cancelled, which then came out to be ROTT. Create your own IP with the assets you have rather than start a completely new one that was mentioned.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Fuck licenses. Do what you want. Just don't be a shithead and brag for months and months about it, way before it's even close to being 10% done. Just finish it underground and release it. Sure you'll get C&D's to take it down, but once it's on the interwebs, it's out there. There's not much money to be made suing someone because they made a fan game.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Edited

This post has been edited by fresch: 26 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I never said anything about signing a license in the first place. You seem to lack the ability to read or understand context.

• tile 1018

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 25 October 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

I never said anything about signing a license in the first place. You seem to lack the ability to read or understand context.

That's quite the stupid stand to make given the fact that your opening statement was "Fuck licenses." Right now he and the development team are bound to a license that they "signed" before you made that statement. Even if it was released underground, all fingers are going to be pointed right at them, because who else can Gearbox turn to? If fresch did that on his own accord, even then it's still held accountable to the rest of the team. They'll get sued, they'll lose all of their money, so that makes it harder for them to support themselves, and they lose the chance to work in the gaming business or likely any other business because a license is a license, and a contract is a contract.

Simply here, I don't give a damn about fresch and MOST of the people on the development team, so I really couldn't care less if they lose their money, their jobs, but they might care.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 25 October 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

Fuck licenses. Do what you want. Just don't be a shithead and brag for months and months about it, way before it's even close to being 10% done. Just finish it underground and release it. Sure you'll get C&D's to take it down, but once it's on the interwebs, it's out there. There's not much money to be made suing someone because they made a fan game.

There. That is theeee catch. fresch tells everyone they are nearly complete. Gearbox, after looking at it, thinks they are not. So Interceptor wants to issue the game in pieces. Gearbox said no to this grandiose hype idea. So Interceptor has to work and finish a game before they can release it, under the Duke Nukem name. So Interceptor called it quits. What a shame. LOL Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 25 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostSpirrwell, on 25 October 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

That's quite the stupid stand to make given the fact that your opening statement was "Fuck licenses." Right now he and the development team are bound to a license that they "signed" before you made that statement. Even if it was released underground, all fingers are going to be pointed right at them, because who else can Gearbox turn to? If fresch did that on his own accord, even then it's still held accountable to the rest of the team. They'll get sued, they'll lose all of their money, so that makes it harder for them to support themselves, and they lose the chance to work in the gaming business or likely any other business because a license is a license, and a contract is a contract.

Simply here, I don't give a damn about fresch and MOST of the people on the development team, so I really couldn't care less if they lose their money, their jobs, but they might care.

You're a dumbass, and Fresch is an egotistical one at that. (With a huge vagina for deleting his post.) My post was not in anyway about what Interceptor should do as a team, because if you could actually fucking read you might notice that I was answering Fat's question and telling him that if anyone wanted to make a Duke game they should use Interceptor's massive failure as an example of what not to do.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 26 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

• tile 1018

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 26 October 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

You're a dumbass, and Fresch is an egotistical one at that. (With a huge vagina for deleting his post.) My post was not in anyway about what Interceptor should do as a team, because if you could actually fucking read you might notice that I was answering Fat's question and telling him that if anyone wanted to make a Duke game they should use Interceptor's massive failure as an example of what not to do.

Well, no shit. You do know that fuegerstef said "what is the use of a license when a release isn't granted." You didn't quote whom you were speaking to, and that was what was last said of licenses, which would only make sense that you were replying to him given the fact that Aaron didn't ask to make one himself, he asked us to make one, unless I misunderstood given the fact his grammar was rather faulty, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that English isn't his first language. Given that, you said "Do what you want."

Either way, my original point still stands, if someone did make their own Duke game, an investigation would be launched, the IP to the person who released it could be traced or whatever works given the fact I'm no legal expert. Also, the people\person who would be sued would likely be hit harder given that said people\person didn't have any license at all. They'd lose their money or go to jail and destroy their chances for their future. Since I'm also sure that this point could be made, if somebody from another country were to do this, it'd be a lot harder for them to be hit, but who's going to do something like that anyway? People do have lives, and their likely not going to just work on some game that may or may not succeed, that also will get shunned away anyway. It's pointless.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostSpirrwell, on 26 October 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

Well, no shit. You do know that fuegerstef said "what is the use of a license when a release isn't granted." You didn't quote whom you were speaking to, and that was what was last said of licenses, which would only make sense that you were replying to him given the fact that Aaron didn't ask to make one himself, he asked us to make one, unless I misunderstood given the fact his grammar was rather faulty, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that English isn't his first language. Given that, you said "Do what you want."[/i]

That doesn't make sense because the whole point of my post was that no one was supposed to know about it until release. Please, learn to use context in your favor.

Either way, my original point still stands, if someone did make their own Duke game, an investigation would be launched, the IP to the person who released it could be traced or whatever works given the fact I'm no legal expert. Also, the people\person who would be sued would likely be hit harder given that said people\person didn't have any license at all. They'd lose their money or go to jail and destroy their chances for their future. Since I'm also sure that this point could be made, if somebody from another country were to do this, it'd be a lot harder for them to be hit, but who's going to do something like that anyway? People do have lives, and their likely not going to just work on some game that may or may not succeed, that also will get shunned away anyway. It's pointless.

What in God's holy name are you blathering about? Anybody who makes something like this just for money is bound to fail anyway. This kind of project only gets finished from a standpoint of love for it.

You have this silly knack to try and pick fights with me, but you always look stupid in the end. I suggest you stop.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 26 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

The question is this...were they in it for the love of Duke, or just in it for the money ala get rich quick scheme? I'd say Fresch was in it for the latter (not sayin his team was also).

View Postfresch, on 25 October 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

Edited

Pathetic...
Keep deleting your posts like this and very soon you will become the most respected member here, I am sure of it!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

That's very unlikely. IP is not a realiable form of tracking, especially considering this kind of stuff gets uploaded by tons of people simultaneously.

View Postfresch, on 24 October 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

Your post doesn't make any sense, you say that by your experience you shouldn't start a project without a license that grants you a release / you own... however you did exactly that with Reloaded!!

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 October 2011 - 02:51 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postfresch, on 25 October 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

Edited

View PostMr.Deviance, on 27 October 2011 - 02:37 AM, said:

Pathetic...
Keep deleting your posts like this and very soon you will become the most respected member here, I am sure of it!

It doesn't matter if he edits them. They all said the same thing anyway, kind of like a rehearsed speech that an accused regurgitates in a police interrogation.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 27 October 2011 - 03:22 AM

• tile 1018

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 26 October 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

That doesn't make sense because the whole point of my post was that no one was supposed to know about it until release. Please, learn to use context in your favor.

Sure, anything I can do to help!

What in God's holy name are you blathering about? Anybody who makes something like this just for money is bound to fail anyway. This kind of project only gets finished from a standpoint of love for it.

I never said anything about making money other than Gearbox from a lawsuit you idiot. Also, sure, a standpoint of love, how romantic of you Captain!

You have this silly knack to try and pick fights with me, but you always look stupid in the end. I suggest you stop.

You look blindly stupid and arrogant to me. Although it could be the fact that I'm young and can't understand your older idioms. You just remind me of me, I am a child, I'm still learning the cleverness that you already have, and I admire that. I pick fights with you because I know you've got the greater intellect.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Posted Image

• tile 1018

I really don't get the point in posting a picture of Glenn Danzig saying "Jesus Fucking Christ"

It just looks stupid.

User is offline   ---- 

Posted Image

This should calm everybody down. Pics of cute Kittens always work.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostSpirrwell, on 28 October 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

I really don't get the point in posting a picture of Glenn Danzig saying "Jesus Fucking Christ"

It just looks stupid.

There are numerous bootlegs of the Misfits where Glenn says "Jesus fucking christ." and that was my response to your post, because you are fucking delusional and/or stupid.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 04 August 2010 - 01:03 PM, said:

I've released one map (which is thankfully lost to time as far as I know), had some minor contributions to QWG, and I've done art for the HRP, and Hendricks266's Caribbean Plus and Nuclear Winter Plus. I think I've done some other minor stuff, but I have a project that will be of interest to many which I shall release rather soon.

Too bad this "new project" is being a dick 24/7 on this forum.

Man I'm so tired of reading your posts, you put quite a drain on the community and get in the way of progress imho.
There's obviously some negative personal issues that are fueling your obsession with trolling and insulting people. I really hope you get them sorted out and put that energy into something more creative.

It's just after getting tiring dude,
you like to speak your mind so I've just done the same.

Will probably end up putting you on ignore soon anyways.

It just a shame you don't use your energy doing something positive for the community.

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 28 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

• tile 1018

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 28 October 2011 - 01:00 PM, said:

There are numerous bootlegs of the Misfits where Glenn says "Jesus fucking christ." and that was my response to your post, because you are fucking delusional and/or stupid.

And?

Reasoning?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostEARTH DEFENCE FORCES, on 28 October 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

Too bad this "new project" is being a dick 24/7 on this forum.

Man I'm so tired of reading your posts, you put quite a drain on the community and get in the way of progress imho.[/size] There's obviously some negative personal issues that are fueling your obsession with trolling and insulting people. I really hope you get them sorted out and put that energy into something more creative.

It's just after getting tiring dude, you like to speak your mind so I've just done the same.

Will probably end up putting you on ignore soon anyways.

It just a shame you don't use your energy doing something positive for the community.

Please do ignore me. It'll spare me the time of responding to you, since you won't be (poorly) attempting to troll me anymore. It'll also spare you the time of digging through archaic posts of mine.

View PostSpirrwell, on 28 October 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

And?
Reasoning?

Reread the thread. I'm not going to baby you. If you can't see what I'm talking about, either of my conclusions are correct.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 28 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options