Duke4.net Forums: Expansion of Duke4.net news coverage - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Expansion of Duke4.net news coverage

Poll: Expansion of Duke4.net news coverage (50 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your feelings on posting non-Duke news on Duke4.net?

1. I love the idea! (31 votes [62.00%])

Percentage of vote: 62.00%

2. I don't really care. (10 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. I hate the idea and I'm not coming back if you even think about going through with it. (9 votes [18.00%])

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

With the relative failure of Duke Nukem Forever, I foresee very little Duke news coming out in between the release of the single player DLC and the next Duke game. As such, in an attempt to keep the front page portion of the site alive through those times, I was considering an expansion into news postings that aren't specifically related to Duke. This would include stuff like Doom and Quake and a handful of other classic franchises that remain popular today and would specifically NOT include newer bullshit we don't care about (like Call of Duty and Halo).

We would also be posting more and more user submitted news, particularly about classic gaming developments and things of that nature.

What do you guys think?

• el fundador

Oh, I forgot to mention that this would definitely include more coverage of stuff like EDuke32 mods. Getting visibility for your mod would be as simple as submitting the story, having one of us approve it and then BAM, tons of people see it and now know your project exists.

User is offline   Lunick 

I don't mind as long as it's still related to games and such and NOT CoD.

User is offline   Martin 

I think it's a great idea. Doom and Quake go hand-in-hand with Duke, so it makes perfect sense. Hypothetically, what if there was some big news regarding something like GoldenEye: Source? The original was around at the same sort of time as Duke and Quake. Just a thought.

User is offline   Loke 

Don't mind it at all. More coverage on EDuke32 mods and user maps would definitely be a plus.

User is offline   Kathy 

More EDuke32 news is great, but not on Doom, Quake, Max Payne or whatever. And I don't think that Duke3d goes hand-in-hand with Doom/Quake in any way except being the same genre.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I wouldn't mind knowing what's going on about the Quake and Doom franchises without going to any extra effort. If the news is big enough, and the break between Duke related items is big enough, then it's a fantastic idea to go ahead with it.

It's also partly a matter of not wanting every single recent news item to be something insignificant about Duke Nukem Forever. Every DNF news item is just another painful reminder of how much lost potential there was.

And these days, new user maps are probably rare enough that we can start making news items about each one as it comes out? I'm kind of surprised Crackdown didn't get a news item.

• el fundador

Yeah, new Duke maps and mods would definitely get news posts as long as someone submitted it. Stuff for Doom and Quake would be limited mostly to things like new major releases of popular source ports, not relatively minor stuff like wad or map releases (posts like that are reserved for Duke content since this is and always will be a Duke-centric site). We would also post about things like new DOSBox releases, etc.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I like the idea, its always nice to know about other stuff in the gaming community.

User is offline   Hank 

I like it.
Perhaps consider a wee section for artist work. Tiles, models, maps and so on, for stuff that would have been done for DNF but ended up in Valve, Crytek or id Tech type engines. I know three peeps that are doing hard work, that borrow from DNF, but it will not go into DNF, for obvious reasons. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 22 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I really hope the last bit of the last option is a joke, it'd be pretty extreme if people stopped coming here just because there are a few extra non-Duke news items.

User is offline   Kathy 

It was intentionally worded like that. :(

Too bad we can't see who voted. Would be interesting.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I voted on the bottom one. You just need to be more open to posting things Duke related. I've submitted several things that were very Duke related to this site, but they never ended up on the homepage here. One thing being this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IJW1D3RjfBs

That's very worthy of being a news article here in my opinion. Some of those lines aren't even from the Nintendo DS version. :(

User is offline   Hank 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 23 October 2011 - 12:36 AM, said:

I voted on the bottom one. You just need to be more open to posting things Duke related. I've submitted several things that were very Duke related to this site, but they never ended up on the homepage here. One thing being this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IJW1D3RjfBs

That's very worthy of being a news article here in my opinion. Some of those lines aren't even from the Nintendo DS version. :(

Should you not have voted the top? I.E. expand news on all Duke related subjects, not just limited to Duke Nukem Forever?

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I kinda like the idea of a more broad based "old school FPS" site rather than just Duke Nukem. There are sites for Doom, for Quake, for Duke, and everything in between. Still there's no central meeting point for all of them (specifically source ports and other related projects) and a huge crowd of PC gamers are missing out on some great stuff. Most general sites get flooded with flavor of the month games like Battlefield and Call of Duty. Then they come out and you have a drought until the next sequel. And the ones that cover specific older games sometimes go years without updating.

Maybe there's a potential here for a new separate website with Duke4.net being its roots. Something that brings back to life the golden age of shooters. I would have no problem lending a hand if some more people are seriously interested in getting it off the ground.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMad Max RW, on 23 October 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

Maybe there's a potential here for a new separate website with Duke4.net being its roots. Something that brings back to life the golden age of shooters. I would have no problem lending a hand if some more people are seriously interested in getting it off the ground.

Divided we fall; united we stand.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 23 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHank, on 23 October 2011 - 10:45 AM, said:

Should you not have voted the top? I.E. expand news on all Duke related subjects, not just limited to Duke Nukem Forever?

Have even read the question in the poll?

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I like the Idea since I visit Duke4.net every day, plus I like the older games like Doom and Quake etc

Put yourself in Duke's boots. How would he feel about this. He probably wouldn't approve. If you stayed very limited to Quake and Doom, it might be ok. However, I've always came here for Duke news. My heart always jumped when I seen a news article on this site. It's going to get annoying when I see one and it's not Duke related. That's just me, though.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Anything even tangentially related to Duke sounds good to me. I mean, what the heck right? An update is an update.

• el fundador

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 23 October 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

Put yourself in Duke's boots. How would he feel about this. He probably wouldn't approve. If you stayed very limited to Quake and Doom, it might be ok. However, I've always came here for Duke news. My heart always jumped when I seen a news article on this site. It's going to get annoying when I see one and it's not Duke related. That's just me, though.

All of the Duke news is depressing these days, though. Most people thought DNF sucked, Critical Mass was so bad it's a wonder it was released, most people don't care for the DNF DLC, etc. What Duke REALLY wouldn't approve of is the state the Duke Nukem franchise is in at the moment. We just don't want our site to be dead and useless just because the state of the franchise is the way it is.

View PostTX, on 23 October 2011 - 09:12 PM, said:

Most people thought DNF sucked, Critical Mass was so bad it's a wonder it was released, most people don't care for the DNF DLC, etc.

I wasn't all pleased with DNF either. I wanted it be a Halo/CoD killer. I still think it was a great game, but not as good as it was intended to be. As for Critical Mass, I played it and beat it. It wasn't that bad. It was the first DS game that I actually had enough interest in to finish. I enjoyed it about as much as I enjoyed Manhattan Project.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

It doesn't matter if people think DNF sucked or not. The fact remains the game has no legs to stand on. In 6 months to a year it will be totally forgotten because it was designed that way. There's no mod support, so what will there be to talk about? Meanwhile new content is constantly being generated for Duke 3D and other old school shooters.

User is offline   Oook 

I like the idea. I would also add Serious Sam

User is offline   Dennis 

View PostOook, on 24 October 2011 - 06:51 AM, said:

I like the idea. I would also add Serious Sam

Good idea !

That would be great i think. Sometimes it takes days or weeks before a new update, which gives me a reason not to visit duke4.

User is offline   ---- 

I think it would be a good idea to have a much broader Duke related newssection. Be it mods or fangames or whatever.

I am not so sure about Doom and Quake or other games but wouldn'tmind it either.

It hink even maps like that Crysis 2 remake of Hollywood Holocaust could be a good news addition.

Just using the latter as example.

The Duke himself commented on this subject.

Attached Image: JSJDisappoint.jpg

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 24 October 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

The Duke himself commented on this subject.

Attachment JSJDisappoint.jpg

'Nuf said!

• el fundador

Is that even real? :(

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options