Duke4.net Forums: The THING (2011) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The THING (2011)  "prequel to the Carpenter's masterpiece"

User is offline   #SH@DOW# 

Has anyone checked it up?

I saw it nad it's damn good horror movie!

This post has been edited by #SH@DOW#: 17 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

User is offline   Kyphros 

Uh. I heard about it and didn't find the time to watch it. And then I forgot about it.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Huge fan of Carpenter's version, and The Thing From Another World, but I'm skeptical on this one. I'm gonna wait until it comes out on DVD or something, maybe Redbox it.

I saw the film in IMAX begore the primiere and I can advise you should watch the movie in cinema! It's worth that.

Im also a fan of the Carpenter's thing, and I think that THE THING (1982) - is far more interesting than "Who goes there?" and "The thing from another world". I dont like the latter because the monster in that movie wasn't the same as it was depicted in the story and it looks much like Frankenstein.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Post#SH@DOW#, on 19 October 2011 - 01:27 AM, said:

I saw the film in IMAX begore the primiere and I can advise you should watch the movie in cinema! It's worth that.

Im also a fan of the Carpenter's thing, and I think that THE THING (1982) - is far more interesting than "Who goes there?" and "The thing from another world". I dont like the latter because the monster in that movie wasn't the same as it was depicted in the story and it looks much like Frankenstein.

I don't have the money to go to a theater, much less drive to one.

Also, dude, it was 1951. The Thing From Another World consistently hits the top of the charts for best film from 1951 and the 1950s in general. The source material is great too.

I've been looking forward to this movie, because I've also seen the one from 1982 that scared the living shit out of me back in the 90's when I first saw it.
In fact, the thing that scared me the most in that movie were the sounds which even to this day I find creepy.
Those horrible monster screams that sound like satan and his minions performing anal mutilation on those sinner grandparents that just went there.
I don't get scared by gore or monsters in movies, hell Dead Space's monsters are clearly inspired from The Thing ones, yet they don't scare me.
The key to John Carpenter's The Thing are very creepy sounds that were recorded in the bottom of the hell itself.

I hope IMAX will also play it here where I live, otherwise I will have to watch it at a normal cinema.
However, I usually go to movies in IMAX, only when they are 3D and they play both in IMAX 3D and in normal 3D cinemas.
I always pick the IMAX for 3D because I found the glasses and the screen to offer a much higher quality than normal 3D cinemas.
Then there's also the huge ass screen of the IMAX and the higher sound quality that makes normal cinemas seem very outdated by comparison.
At least that's my experience with it.
And considering that I only watch a few movies a year lately, I always watch them in a cinema because otherwise, I just constantly get distracted and never get to see them on my pc.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 19 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 19 October 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

I've been looking forward to this movie, because I've also seen the one from 1982 that scared the living shit out of me back in the 90's when I first saw it.

I remember rushing out of the room during that famous "you've got to be fucking kidding me" scene. Had nightmares after that. Oh, and I rushed right into the outside and it was dark already. Shit my pants.

The key to John Carpenter's The Thing are very creepy sounds that were recorded in the bottom of the hell itself.

For me the movie shines with its minimalistic soundtrack and claustrophobic suspense scenes without people. It creates creepy atmosphere without showing anything.

Most likely, this 2011 remake of the movie is just going to focus on the cast and rules of the chase that made the 1982 one good, while completely failing to recreate that very scary claustrophobic ambient.
At best, it will probably feel like an aliens movie.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Just saw the trailer.

"I'm gonna take a tissue sample (of the thing that's been in ice for 100,000 years)"
"Are you sure that's a good idea?"

Fucking hilarious! Glad to hear there's a lot of realistic dialogue in this movie.

Kurt Russell watches the "The Thing" (2011) Trailer))

View Post#SH@DOW#, on 20 October 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

Kurt Russell watches the "The Thing" (2011) Trailer))

Cool and all but you might want to post the english version next time.
Not that I don't understand german but I like him to speak using his own voice.

Here's the english version

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 21 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

December 1st is the DVD release date. Cant wait to it :D

Seems like noone here except me like the film :D

User is offline   Loke 

Haven't seen it yet. From what I've read the reactions seem very mixed, some absolutely loathe it while others think it's quite good but nowhere near JC's original. Huge fan of the '82 version so I'm kinda excited to see it.

User is offline   Hank 

View Post#SH@DOW#, on 01 December 2011 - 06:43 AM, said:

Seems like noone here except me like the film :D

So what? Enjoy it, for you.
This one lacks, ehmm, let's say in the 'scary' department, because the plot 'borrows' from other movies and I've seen them before. But if you like slasher movie - it's OK. Posted Image

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I finally saw the new prequel last week. Wow. What a stinker. The Norwegian guy Lars was the only cool character and should have been the lead, not the uninteresting American chick. I can't think of a single previous instance where the credits of a movie are the best part. And I'm not saying it just to exaggerate my disappointment. The extra scenes bridging this movie to John Carpenter's The Thing while playing the classic music is exactly what I was waiting for. That was the only part to nail it perfectly. The rest, from the crappy cgi not holding a candle to the original's practical effects, to the characters I can't remember, to the lack of the original soundtrack, all culminated with a boring forgetful story.

I didn't think I could be more let down after the abysmal "Predators" sequel a couple years back. "The Thing" prequel managed to pull it off. Not only that, the great ending credits scenes pissed me off thinking about what could have been an awesome movie.

User is offline   Loke 

I finally saw it today and I strongly agree^. By no means terrible but rather a huge lackluster disappointment. There's no tension whatsoever, it's never scary. Any ominous music then? Fuck you, it's all settled with a typical Hollywood-esque soundtrack. The characters are so fucking forgettable that in the end you don't care wherever they hit the dust or not. Lars was the only one I found interesting and I actually laughed during some of his scenes especially the "open-your-mouth" part when he's shouting "Åpne kjeften!" at everyone.
It's obvious the movie tries so much to mimic JC's version but fails miserably such as the lead-character Kate which is so obviously supposed to be a female version of MacReady but it all falls flat during the movie so you don't give a fuck what happens to her. I won't spoil but there are also certain scenes in the movie that looks like they're straight out of the original.

And yeah, the CG is very odd looking; the monster designs weren't all that too shocking or unforgettable either. Somehow the movie also proceeds to be way less gory than the original; Palmer-transformation anyone? Holy shit was that bloody. You see some head-splitting here but barely any blood spewing out just a shitload of tentacles and teeth.

Blablabla yadda yadda nothing terrible but in the end you don't care what happens. A sour taste in your mouth. What it could've been. Meh.

Not only that, the great ending credits scenes pissed me off thinking about what could have been an awesome movie.

Yeah, the ending credits sequence was actually really good and by far the greatest part in the film. When the classic theme jumped in I grew a boner, like, immediately.
A completely Norwegian movie with subtitles could've been something rather neat; an all Norwegian cast with no Americans. I wish. :D

This post has been edited by Loke: 06 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Went to see this one about a week ago. Had that "seen this one a billion times" thing going on all the time despite me not even having seen the original (I know, I know, it's a shame). It wasn't scary, maybe because I couldn't care about any of the characters (well, the man in me was of course rooting for the girl, but all the others were irrelevant).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options