Duke4.net Forums: Dnf - Console Port? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dnf - Console Port?

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

He's been insinuating as much for some time (imo).

Some recent Shack quotes:

It's already decided. 1% of people care about mouse look. The other 99% buy Halo, CoD4, Gears of War, by the millions. Mouselook is a non-factor for gaming at this point. No developer out there even considers it an issue. It's absolutely a dead issue.

What's happened is simple. The business model has difficulty working when games cost 20m dollars and sell 500k copies. Sales have dropped because of console proliferation and people not upgrading pc hardware.

PC's are 1000% capable of being amazing gaming machines, and better than consoles, but game costs have risen and game sales have dropped, to the point of it no longer being very cost effective. There are few exceptions to this, so you end up seeing cheap to develop games on pc, or the mega-hits on the other end, and everyone in between is on console now.

No. 64 megs vs 256 megs or more, of system ram. Weaker video cards. The pc was leapfrogging consoles rapidly back then.

Today, with 3 cores and a good video card, even though you can technically build a better pc than a 360, who cares? The 360 is good enough in power for 3 more years if need be.

What's happened though is that this current generation of consoles is simply good enough for people. They are very very powerful. With Xbox 1 and PS2, the pc was vastly more powerful so things like shooters were better on pc 90% of the time, a few games like Halo aside.

There are no real compromises with console gaming today, so that's made things worse. As long as they keep consoles in the $400 range and really powerful, pc gaming will be in trouble. I doubt things will ever reverse.

Discuss?

User is offline   rockmx8 

Well like Scott Said it would make the most sense to hit the big 3: PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. According to the Dallas Business Journal fiasco, and the history of past Duke games support consoles as well.

Rest Assured they will port it for sure most likely dude. So I'd be getting a PS3 any time now, once I do DNF will be one of the first games on my list.

Its not just the fact that people aren't upgrading their PC's anymore as to the reason why the PC is slowly dying as a games platform, there are other reasons to take into consideration such as unless the game has a strong multiplayer, most PC gamers will just download a cracked version from the net as it saves them money. Also the fact that you can use a keyboard and mouse with the PS3 (360 3rd party) doesn't help with the PC's main selling point being FPS and RTS.

Although I haven't upgraded my PC is 4 years, I do intend to later this year once then new range of Nvidia cards has been released.

User is offline   Danule 

i think pc gaming will take over again ina few years the xbox and the ps3 will show their age and the graphical capabilities of the pc will shine though.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

By the time those consoles show their age, some new ones will come out. BUT that can only be a good thing, that would mean that if the consoles are on par of a quad core with 9800 gtx2, then the pc games won't be a "poor console port" anymore, we will get top quality games on both ends. Too bad DNF is already suffering George's consolitis, as it has to look dated to run on a console.

Don't get me wrong, I love duke and graphics isn't everything, but it was my little dream to see it as a top notch graphic amazement.

The game will still make it on time and will not be outdated, there's no new systems from Sony Or Microsoft until awhile. In other words the graphics for DNF are looking fine, I'm sure the game will rock over Halo 3 and the other FPS PERIOD.

User is offline   Danule 

haha i really dont think todays consoles are on par with a quad core and a 9800gtx2 that hasn't even been released yet... i hope they skin the duke model better. his belt was messed up and sloppy looking. hi resolution textures make all the difference.

Whatever the Graphics are Fine in my opinion for the Consoles, of course the PC version will look better most likely. However I don't care for the PC version, Sorry dudes, I'm all for the consoles currently.

User is offline   Sarg3 

View PostDavoX, on Mar 12 2008, 10:44 PM, said:

By the time those consoles show their age, some new ones will come out. BUT that can only be a good thing, that would mean that if the consoles are on par of a quad core with 9800 gtx2, then the pc games won't be a "poor console port" anymore, we will get top quality games on both ends. Too bad DNF is already suffering George's consolitis, as it has to look dated to run on a console.

Don't get me wrong, I love duke and graphics isn't everything, but it was my little dream to see it as a top notch graphic amazement.

Call of Duty 4, if you have the talent, the game will not suffer from being developed for multiple platforms

View PostDanule, on Mar 13 2008, 03:51 AM, said:

haha i really dont think todays consoles are on par with a quad core and a 9800gtx2 that hasn't even been released yet... i hope they skin the duke model better. his belt was messed up and sloppy looking. hi resolution textures make all the difference.

the 9800gtx2 isn't anything revolutionary its a g92 core, same as last years 8800, but with all 128 shaders enabled instead of 112. Nvidia don't have to release anything new until ATi/AMD, catch up in the performance arena.

Hardware GeForce 9800GX2, 9800GTX Get the Greenlight

User is offline   godlike 

I dont really care if DNF will eventually appear in the consoles (though I prefer not cause Im a console hater).

But the issue is how 3DR will develop DNF for the consoles. There are 2 ways:
1. Simultaneously developing all the versions
2. Port the PC version to consoles just before the release or shortly after

IMO the second way is more appropriate. I dont think that DNF should be scaled down to fit the console standards. And when I say console standards I mean games for kids. The only game that was in par with the PC standards in a simultaneous development was Bioshock. Another reason is that when PC gamers smell consolish crap in their games they simply wont give a fuck about the game (the biggest example is UT3 crap).

PC gaming has many flaws like piracy but games like STALKER, Orange Box and The Witcher prove that there are many people interested in PC oriented games without consolish feeling at all.

• Honored Donor

View Postgodlike, on Mar 13 2008, 05:22 AM, said:

when PC gamers smell consolish crap in their games they simply wont give a fuck about the game

Exactly. If DNF's options are few and in great big console text, or I see "saving, please don't turn off the machine", or pop-ups with controller button help I think I'll puke!

This was, in my mind, to be the last great hope for PC gaming. But it's looking more and more like I'll have to search elsewhere for that. I'll still buy DNF and I'll still probably enjoy it, but I have the feeling that rather than having moments of "WOW - cool!!!" while playing it, I'll be having more moments of "oh . . . yeah, ok"

I hope I'm wrong.

User is offline   Danule 

View PostSarg3, on Mar 12 2008, 09:50 PM, said:

Call of Duty 4, if you have the talent, the game will not suffer from being developed for multiple platforms
the 9800gtx2 isn't anything revolutionary its a g92 core, same as last years 8800, but with all 128 shaders enabled instead of 112. Nvidia don't have to release anything new until ATi/AMD, catch up in the performance arena.

Hardware GeForce 9800GX2, 9800GTX Get the Greenlight

cool i didnt know, but regardless a pc with those components will out preform a console any day.

User is offline   Danule 

View Postgodlike, on Mar 13 2008, 02:22 AM, said:

I dont really care if DNF will eventually appear in the consoles (though I prefer not cause Im a console hater).

But the issue is how 3DR will develop DNF for the consoles. There are 2 ways:
1. Simultaneously developing all the versions
2. Port the PC version to consoles just before the release or shortly after

IMO the second way is more appropriate. I dont think that DNF should be scaled down to fit the console standards. And when I say console standards I mean games for kids. The only game that was in par with the PC standards in a simultaneous development was Bioshock. Another reason is that when PC gamers smell consolish crap in their games they simply wont give a fuck about the game (the biggest example is UT3 crap).
PC gaming has many flaws like piracy but games like STALKER, Orange Box and The Witcher prove that there are many people interested in PC oriented games without consolish feeling at all.

bioshock for the PC by the way was a piece of shit. :)

User is offline   Lead 

I wouldn't be quite as annoyed with playing FPS games on a console if they just made keyboard\mouse standard options for controls in applicable games.

How about I hope to see this on the PC and Consoles Simultaneously for Release. I want to see 3 versions when I go pick it up. I am only going to buy a PS3 if I actually see DNF release on it.

User is offline   Sarg3 

Well, they should be able to release all 3 versions about the same time.
Would also bring in the most revenue for em.

Drifting off topic a bit, Did 3DR mention if they would make a special/collectors edition of the game?
I know I would buy a copy if they did.

That sounds fair plus good enough, I'm supporting and am sure that the 3 versions will release together.

User is offline   Danule 

View PostLead, on Mar 13 2008, 10:31 AM, said:

I wouldn't be quite as annoyed with playing FPS games on a console if they just made keyboard\mouse standard options for controls in applicable games.

i cant seem to play games on a tv screen though, i need a nice crisp monitor, even "HD" lcd tv's are blurry compared to a nice computer monitor.

User is offline   Sarg3 

You need to get an LCD panel with a refresh rate under 8ms. The lower the refresh rate the less blurry the images are in games, go for as low as you can get. I know the Samsung 22" and 24" PC LCD panels are rated at 2ms, and the LG ones are about 5ms.

User is offline   Lead 

View PostDanule, on Mar 14 2008, 01:43 PM, said:

i cant seem to play games on a tv screen though, i need a nice crisp monitor, even "HD" lcd tv's are blurry compared to a nice computer monitor.

Some of it I imagine might have to do with the bigger screen. You can have 1920x1280 squeezed down in a 20 inch or so space, or have it the same pixel resolution displayed on 36 or more inch screens on the TV.

User is offline   socaljim 

http://www.shacknews...article.x/53511

Shacknews has just reported that screenshots of Duke 3D on XBOX360 Live...all it is a screenshot of Duke 3D being downloadable at 83 megs.

When downloaded, its a 3 dimensional polygon.

From ShackNews:
"Given the flood of screenshots from various outlets and languages, it is likely that the port has appeared on PartnerNet, a closed Xbox Live network only accessible through development kits and debug units. "

AWESOME!! I hope they release this with the Trailer!! It would be a great double treat!!

And what do you mean it's a 3 Dimensional Polygon? Are you saying that the Graphics will be better?

User is offline   socaljim 

According to Shacknews the only thing on the screen is a 3 Dimensional Polygon instead of a playable game on the closed Xbox LIVE Network. This is if you tried to download it and then tried to play it.

• Honored Donor

This should probably be in another thread in another forum.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Just my personal say
I think we will probebly see DNF on Xbox 360 and theres a chance it might be on PS3 too..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options