Duke4.net Forums: Max Payne 3 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Max Payne 3

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Renamed this to Max Payne 3 thread. Original title was "Remedy Talks Max Payne 1 & 2." See latest replies for MP3 stuff.

---
Original Post:
Good video.

With Max Payne 3 on the horizon, Remedy's Matias Myllyrinne and Sam Lake take a look back at the influential action shooter series.

User is offline   DN4ever 

I'm so proud to be a Finn :(

Except I was disappointed with their Alan Wake which was hyped so much in finnish gaming magazines.

This post has been edited by DN4ever: 05 October 2011 - 04:55 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

As people like to say nowadays: "please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck..."
MP was one of my favorite action games and it's still fun. Let's see how MP3 will end up being.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I played the games for the first time only last year. Not really looking forward to the third one. Might be cool if there's gonna be a slow-mo mode with all the new visual and physics tricks.

View PostDN4ever, on 05 October 2011 - 04:37 AM, said:

I'm so proud to be a Finn :(

I'm not, and this is one reason why. Every time something Finnish is noticed abroad, Finns have to start rubbing it in everyone's face. This inferiority complex makes me embarrassed to be a Finn.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 05 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Max Payne 2 was decent enough, but I've always preferred the original appearance of Max in the first game, and I've always been confused by the lack of Sam Lake in the series after the first one. I dunno what to think.

Also, Nationalism is always a show of ignorance.

User is offline   DN4ever 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 05 October 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

I'm not, and this is one reason why. Every time something Finnish is noticed abroad, Finns have to start rubbing it in everyone's face. This inferiority complex makes me embarrassed to be a Finn.

It's a point of view, but no-one could be proud of anything without rubbing it on anyone's face. That's just how some people think of proud people, bragging of how they're so proud being something or done something. I'm proud for what I am, but definitely not thinking I'm better than anybody else. I understand of what you mean, and I don't like that either how some of us act internationally.

But let's just stay on topic :(

I loved the 1st one and 2nd one.
The games were awesome and we have to thank 3D Realms for that too !
I just hope that Rockstar know what she's doing.

User is offline   Engel220 

I think that Max Payne 3 will work. A lot of people were scared by the location change and the look of Max himself, but I think that, considering Rockstar are in contact with the people who handled the major aspects of the first two titles, the game will do fine and will be a great follow on to one of the best series of'Film Noir third-person shooter games ever made.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostYatta, on 17 November 2011 - 10:38 PM, said:

That video really makes the game seem like it hasn't gone too far away from its core structure, in my opinion. People still seem to think that Max has just become a fat, balding alcoholic without realising that that comes later on as part of an undercover operation, and they knock the game down because of that even after seeing that video which is just bizzare.

View PostEngel220, on 18 November 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

That video really makes the game seem like it hasn't gone too far away from its core structure, in my opinion. People still seem to think that Max has just become a fat, balding alcoholic without realising that that comes later on as part of an undercover operation, and they knock the game down because of that even after seeing that video which is just bizzare.

It's not about Max Payne 3 not tying in with Max Payne 2 but it's more about the problem that some may have with it going in a new direction that seems to radically differ from the style that was featured in the first 2 games.
The character is a human that ages and walks in whatever country he wants but did it really need to be Sao Paolo?
I am not against innovation and fresh environments for a game series but after such a long time since Max Payne 2, why didn't they give the fans a sequel that can identify with their memories of this series?
Why does innovation for sequels always have to mean radical changes, up to the point where a game you liked becomes something you can barely recognize?
Are they taking the game to Sao Paolo because they want to focus on the story more or simply because they just think sunny Sao Paolo is a better location than a dark rainy US city?
How many games do we have that feature locations similar to the ones found in Maxpayne 1 and 2 vs games that feature levels similar to sunny Sao Paolo?
Judging by the video I would say that you start the game in the dark city, where you play max payne 2 style for a short while and after a that, shit hits the fan , he shaves his head and then the entire action moves in the bright sunny Sao Paulo where the game is forced to lose it's noire ambient that was canon to the first 2 games and ends up looking very different from the Max Payne universe that fans are used to.
At first glance, sometimes it even reminds me of like Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Posted Image

Max Payne 3
Posted Image

I sure as hell will play it and can't wait for it, no matter how much it will change, because at least the gameplay seems intact.
I would like it if there are still parts where it keeps it's dark noire, detective novel \ black and white comic book style though.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 18 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 18 November 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

Are they taking the game to Sao Paolo because they want to focus on the story more or simply because they just think sunny Sao Paolo is a better location than a dark rainy US city?

Because there is no night and it never rains in San Paulo...

(SP actually has more rainy days on average that NY).

User is offline   LkMax 

They will not use the auto-regen health (a.k.a. lazy health sistem) in Max Payne 3. I'm believing in Rockstar now. =P They can do it, haha.

View PostHelel, on 19 November 2011 - 04:51 AM, said:

Because there is no night and it never rains in San Paulo...

(SP actually has more rainy days on average that NY).

Precisely. There's a reason for São Paulo being known as "cidade da garoa" (city of drizzle) in Brazil. Also, there's some levels in 'classic' NYC as you can see in the videos. But I agree this change of scenario was unexpected / curious.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

New Max Payne 3 Interview

http://www.ign.com/v...terview?show=HD

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Word From Remedy - Max Payne 3 "Phenomenal"

http://ve3d.ign.com/...omenal#comments

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

New Awesome Gameplay Video

http://ve3d.ign.com/...eapons#comments

User is offline   Sangman 

I had my doubts about Max Payne 3 when the first information surfaced but the gameplay videos they've put out look like, well, Max Payne and sweet as shit.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Fuck fuck fuck fuck that looks amazing and like max payne shit shit shit those snowy classic looking levels mixed with that epic gunplay.

There's no way I'm not getting this.

I really can't wait for this. I know that looks aren't everything, but at this stage they are really something, and I think that the whole 'No NY, limited weapons' arguement won't be spoiling my fun. I think that putting Max in a place where the rich and the poor are never too far from each other will really add some depth to the story, and Max's obvious downward spiral and use of the same graphic novel styling will make this game a real contender. Rockstar have also said that, while there won't be any comic panels, there will be the same graphic novel narration and they will use the game's engine to make a sort of stopmotion-type comic.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 02 February 2012 - 05:26 AM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

The latest trailer...

This is as real looking as you can get for a video game.

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 18 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Not exactly Max Payne 3 related, but the original Max Payne just came out for iOS for $3. It's a universal app, so it works natively on iPod, iPhone, and iPad. I just bought it, having never played any of the Max Payne games before, and not having the time to sit down in front of my computer to play it, so I hope it's a good port. Everyone seemed to either give it 5/5 stars, or 0 stars, and that's because the people who gave it 0 stars were angry about a black screen on iPhone 4S and iPad 2. So it's downloading now (it's 1.1GB so it'll take another 15 minutes), and I'm looking forward to trying it out on my new iPad.

View PostMicky C, on 12 April 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Not exactly Max Payne 3 related, but the original Max Payne just came out for iOS for $3. It's a universal app, so it works natively on iPod, iPhone, and iPad. I just bought it, having never played any of the Max Payne games before, and not having the time to sit down in front of my computer to play it, so I hope it's a good port. Everyone seemed to either give it 5/5 stars, or 0 stars, and that's because the people who gave it 0 stars were angry about a black screen on iPhone 4S and iPad 2. So it's downloading now (it's 1.1GB so it'll take another 15 minutes), and I'm looking forward to trying it out on my new iPad.

It's a really good port, i believe these guys also ported GTA III to ios devices, which was also really well done.
It's not exactly the same as the original pc version, some sounds have changed, almost seems like they cut some stuff to save space, but nothing major. Also, the controls need some time to get used to, but thankfully you can change the controls to your own likes.
I just finished chapter 1 and it brought back some great memories, the graphics do look a little up to par by the ipad's standards, which is pretty funny actually.
Anyways back on topic, the first time i saw the trailer of Max Payne 3 it didn't really get me and seemed like another third person shooter, but after the first trailer it looks pretty amazing.
The voice actor of Max Payne is back, bullet time, the great story telling..
The animations are really well done from the looks of it, the gunfights contains bullets flying all around the room and the transition between cutscenes and the gameplay looks very well done.
I recently pre-ordered this baby because it really looks like a Max Payne game.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 13 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I really want to preorder this on Steam, but the constant worry of it using GFWL as a third-party DRM instead of Steamworks is the only thing that worries me. I am more interested in the single-player, as I'm sure a lot of people are, but I don't want to have to suffer GFWL when I go online to do multiplayer.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 13 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

New MP3 trailer

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=td7Y6ISS3nk

View PostYatta, on 13 April 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

This game gets better looking every time I see it. Those entrance/exit wounds look amazing, and the whole combat system looks like a massive improvement on what was already a nifty design. Not to mention the smooth animations of weapons and characters.

User is offline   Martin 

Yeah, haters be damned. Max Payne 3 looks amazing. Rockstar never disappoint, so it should never have been in doubt. Easily one of the best developers out there.

The only thing that's slightly annoying me is how R* seem to be quite interested in using MP3 as a means to show off their tech, but considering how it's making the game play and look it's not something that bothers me too much. The guys at Remedy have been inolved via in-depth discussions with R* and if they say that it feels like a Max Payne game with better tech then I'm more than happy.

That combat system is really looking sweet, especially since they overhauled Max's dives and dodges, and being able to always be on the offense even when lying down after a dive is fantastic. And those classic 'final kill' cams with the variable speed are brilliant.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 14 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Well, Rockstar do have exclusive use of the most impressive realtime character animation technology in existence. Even the four year old GTA IV has character animation far in advance of anything not from Rockstar. I don't blame them for wanting to show it off every time they improve it. Just when you think they couldn't make it better, they make it better.

View PostMartin, on 14 April 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

Well, Rockstar do have exclusive use of the most impressive realtime character animation technology in existence. Even the four year old GTA IV has character animation far in advance of anything not from Rockstar. I don't blame them for wanting to show it off every time they improve it. Just when you think they couldn't make it better, they make it better.

I agree, but I would like to see a little bit more balance with some more videos focusing on the game rather than narrating about the tech over the game. They do great work and they are more than deserving of a chance to blow their own trumpet, but I'd just like a smidge more footage of the game where the game itself is on show rather than what makes it tick..

User is offline   Kathy 

They show in-game footage. What else do you want to see?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options