Duke4.net Forums: They say Rage totally failed the pc gamers. - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

They say Rage totally failed the pc gamers.

At the moment of writing this post, vast amounts of people are saying that the PC version of Rage is more bugged than a leaked alpha and is lacking any graphics settings other than Antialiasing, Resolution and a Brightness slider.

The game seems to have pretty much every single problem that a pc game can have, ranging from massive stuttering, mouse lags, completely broken sound, texture popping that can put to shame even the first versions of GTA4 for pc, terrible artifacts and the weirdest realtime graphics scaling system ever made for a game in the history of games, where all of your graphics including your textures will scale up or down in real time in favor of you having 60 fps at all time.
So if your windows decides to update while you play Rage, it will most likely cause rage to set itself to lowest settings for a few minutes and all in real time, without you even having a say in it.

Supposedly, the game is not meant to have graphics settings, it's made to be this live streamed self tuned, self aware piece of shit of some kind.
But this all smells like bull shit to me and at this point I am looking at John Carmack's first potential epic fail in his entire public career.
Many people are calling this the end of Id software's love for the pc gaming community.
I won't dramatize this and I will wait 1 week to see if patches and new drivers will fix these problems.
If shit will remain mostly unfixed after one week, I am going to lose a shitload of respect for id, respect that id managed earn in the course of 2 decades!

The following video seems to be a popular one at this hour and it's showing how bad it can get when playing it.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 04 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   DN4ever 

How could they do this to Rage :(

I'm not too much into great graphics, but mouse lags and stuttering really gets on my nerves. If you have so much time to do something, why not do it well?
I'm just confused by the lack of well made products these days...

Hope there'll be a patch or something. At least that's a quite fixable problem. Having not played it I can't say what else it's lacking than technology.

The problem here is not just the classic case of a game failing to deliver like so many others are doing these days. The problem is that Rage is made by id and has been in active development for 5 years by a developer that is not allowed to fail simply because it bares the id logo.
Id was supposed to be one of the third strong pillars of pc gaming along with blizzard and valve.
When such an important company manages to fail on delivering a working game in such a monstrous way, I begin asking myself what future is there for me in gaming because I am definitely not going to give in and buy a console any time soon.
If pc gaming dies, the entire gaming world will die for me and I much rather quit gaming the day pc gaming dies, than continue my gaming hobby on next gen consoles.
I will forever refuse to play fps games with a gamepad.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 04 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

There is a compatibility problem for ATI and AMD users, id says they will release a patch for it either today or the upcoming days. No need to worry.

This guys seems to be running it fine

EDIT: http://twitter.com/#...248985557118976

This post has been edited by Bam050196: 04 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

View PostBam050196, on 04 October 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

There is a compatibility problem for ATI and AMD users, id says they will release a patch for it either today or the upcoming days. No need to worry.

Not sure if you noticed but that guy has hardware that's much above the official recommended requirements for this game and he is running the game at 1280x1024 only...
Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.4 GHz with 8 GB of memory, and a GeForce GTX 580 graphics should not be required to max out a game with Rage's graphics, let alone to just be barely able to run it at such a low resolution as seen in that video.
If that guy needs a GTX 580 just for 1280x1024 then what do you need to play it in full hd?
Does anybody even give a shit a this point?
I also heard there is no mouse sensitivity option... This is crazy.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 04 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

The texture resolution on objects is absolutely abysmal. I'm talking Quake 2 era stuff. That's my only serious beef with the game. And you see it the second you start playing. Walk up to the little computer console and nothing is legible. Now in Doom 3 the same kind of computer consoles are very clear and you can go through and read shit. Not in Rage. Everything has this awkward nearsighted feeling to it. If you have shit eyesight and live in Arizona, take off your glasses and that's pretty much Rage. Blurry Arizona. Texture pop-in is noticeable for a split second if I instantly turn around 180 degrees, and that's only in areas with random "stuff" all over like boxes, walls and vending machines. The outside wasteland environment looks great and I haven't seen any pop-in. It seems Nvidia cards have the advantage.

Here's my launch properties to make Rage function like a PC game and not a shitty console port:

+cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +jobs_numthreads 4 +mem_phymemblocksizem 3072 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawinput

User is offline   Hank 

well, right now I'm working
http://www.actiontri...PerfDriver.aspx
first notice from AMD for a fix - have not tested it, in fact I have not even bought the game

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMad Max RW, on 04 October 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

If you have shit eyesight and live in Arizona, take off your glasses and that's pretty much Rage. Blurry Arizona.

I haven't played RAGE yet so I can't comment on the specific opinions anyone has given so far, but this really cracked me up for some reason.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Consoles. \o/
For stupid people, I'm being facetious.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 04 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

Whats this, ATI not rendering OpenGL properly? thats a surprise :(

User is offline   Hank 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage

hahahahahahahaha look at that. 6 Critics give it 89 and 96 gamers a woooooping 3.4 Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image the end of super titles??????????? All hail Hard Reset??

Mr. Deviance your post saved me $60 hard earned canada like dollars - cheers mate Posted Image

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

The vast majority of those complaints are technical issues that will be fixed with patches. :( Still haven't played myself but I'm definitely going to reserve judgment until I do rather than take the word of a bunch of people running into system configuration incompatibilities. A few people on IRC were saying it was pretty awesome today and I tend to believe my friends over random guys saying something sucks.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yup. Remember, the user reviews are not a random sample of players -- only the people motivated to write a review will do so. And right now, the people motivated are the ones who are disappointed and pissed off. The happy customers are too busy playing the game.

George Broussard has officially turned into the biggest, fattest most annoying douchebag troll of the entire gaming industry.
I did the stupid mistake of reading his twitter account in hopes that I will see him posting something about his experience with Rage and so I did, but please be warned that if you are an old school pc gamer, what follows next is something that will potentially make you hate George Broussard's fat guts forever as much as I hate him now!

First he said this on twitter:

George Broussard
Playing Rage. Bar none, the best looking game this generation. 60fps=bliss. Fun as hell, too.
http://twitter.com/#...410888552038400

Then a guy replied to him on twitter this:

Clint Hocking
@georgeb3dr best looking game this gen except on right 50% of screen when turning right, & left 50% of screen when turning left. No?
http://twitter.com/#...450295212523520

And what did the ungrateful, biggest failure of all, piece of shit George Broussard had to say to this?
Lo and behold !!!

George Broussard
@ClickNothing I dunno. 360 has nope of the issues you speak of. If you're on PC, then, it's your fault! :(
http://twitter.com/#...450719856435200

George Broussard is not only officially and irrecoverably DEAD for me after this tweet coupled with his previous pro console/hate pc remarks that he made about DNF's control scheme but if I will actually stumble into him during the course of my life, I will personally take time to spit him right between his fat eyes!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 04 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I have to agree, that's incredibly inconsiderate, considering he built his entire (and now shattered) career on PC gaming. He should know better than that. The only reason that PC games wouldn't be as good as console games is because developers like him don't give a shit anymore.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

View PostBam050196, on 04 October 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

Fine? besides the fact shadows and darkened areas are green, which I heard is another problem.
Edit: wow supposedly this is actually intended by the developers, looks like shit.

This post has been edited by ozz: 04 October 2011 - 11:28 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDeeperThought, on 04 October 2011 - 09:25 PM, said:

Yup. Remember, the user reviews are not a random sample of players -- only the people motivated to write a review will do so. And right now, the people motivated are the ones who are disappointed and pissed off. The happy customers are too busy playing the game.

... or tweaking the game video display via the console?
http://www.gamepur.c...l-settings.html
Nah, right now the Metacritic's score for PC dropped by half a point each, critic and user. I'm back at work, full time, and at the looks of it just in time. No time to tweak the console so a PC game looks like a PS3 game, and that for $60.

@ Mr. Deviance - lol, what did you expect? He is into console games for a while now, and so is John C. of the looks of it. Fuck them both.Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 05 October 2011 - 03:49 AM

View PostHank, on 05 October 2011 - 03:46 AM, said:

... or tweaking the game video display via the console?
http://www.gamepur.c...l-settings.html
Nah, right now the Metacritic's score for PC dropped by half a point each, critic and user. I'm back at work, full time, and at the looks of it just in time. No time to tweak the console so a PC game looks like a PS3 game, and that for $60.

@ Mr. Deviance - lol, what did you expect? He is into console games for a while now, and so is John C. of the looks of it. Fuck them both.Posted Image

John Carmack can't be compared with George Broussard at any level.
John Carmack has proven himself through his own work many times in the last decade wile George Broussard is just credited with being there when Duke3d came out.
George Broussard has yet to prove himself with something.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

technical issues aside, and assuming you use that config Mad Max posted the game is playable, one thing that tics me off about it is its not really an open world, the minimap on screen displays grey areas that are accessible so dont worry about exploring, just look for little offshoots on the minimap, altho "dungeons" have no minimap so there is some exploring in their, the game also has many needless invisible walls, so its technically a corridor driver with tons of 3d skyboxes around it, iam yet to see how much this changes. Regen health is somewhat plausibly explained but its still regen health and i really hate that stupid defib unit u have built in to yourself or something, die, play little minigame thing come back with a possible full health?

Things I do like how shooting will affect how the enemies animate dynamically and use the environment to their advantage, they react to whatever weapon your holding, and if you are using chunkier ammo they also become more intimidated and sometimes fearful i still wouldn't call that really original and unique to game GTA4 did this rather well but its good to see this element being used by others. The sound is great too if you have surround, its not super bad shit game, its just unless its starts to become a bit more varied it will be another game i get bored with and probably wont finish, will be interesting to hear what Yahtzee has to say about this one.

I'm pretty far into the game now, and aside from the low ass resolution textures it's pretty good. A solid B+. Controls are perfect in both running and gunning and driving cars. I've tried most of the weapons and they all feel good and have punch to them, unlike Doom 3's weak arsenal. Enemy AI is good enough and I like how they react differently. Too many games when you shoot a guy all you see is a puff of red and they're done. In Rage they are very animated and sometimes keep coming at you a few more steps with their head half blown off. Level design is very nice and detailed. There is a definite over-use of invisible walls telling me they don't trust the player to explore. Some areas remind me of Texas Chainsaw Massacre while others are like Blade Runner in the desert.

However, Borderlands is way more bang for your buck. If you want to run around a big expansive wasteland killing badguys with your friends without caring about story then Borderlands is the clear choice. Rage is Doom 3 meets Fallout.

The only thing that can possibly save Rage (if they manage to patch it in time for the millions of people feeling fucked over) is the mod community. There isn't enough game here to keep you talking about it for more than a month.

Zoom on this picture after it loads to see the missing details.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

I took another look at that picture of the id software team toasting each other the other night after Rage's launch.

Posted Image

Well that explains what they were doing instead of optimizing the game for PC's.

View PostMad Max RW, on 05 October 2011 - 08:53 AM, said:

I took another look at that picture of the id software team toasting each other the other night after Rage's launch.

Posted Image

Well that explains what they were doing instead of optimizing the game for PC's.

You didn't discover that wow thing. The picture you posted is from the steam powered forums.
I've already seen it and it's a bit lame to speculate so far.
They could be empty boxes or what ever.
Just because 1 or 2 people there might play wow in the launch break, doesn't mean they all do.
I can assure you that Carmack does not play wow.

Of all the people I didn't expect to take this thing seriously... wow, just wow. And http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2157176 (Hint: look at the author of the post)

Do you think I believe they literally spent all their time playing Warcraft? It's a goddamn joke. How can people be so thick. Oh yeah, internet.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 05 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I seriously cannot believe that I can't play this game now. I want to strangle Carmack. I waited forever for this shit.

This is by far, the worst PC port in history. I will not be buying this :(.

This post has been edited by Descent: 05 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

User is offline   ThePinkus 

Rage is a really fun game to play. The shooting feels really good and the shotgun is awesome, and so are the animations.The racing feels a bit tacked on, but its not like you are ever forced to do it more than once or twice.
The only thing bad about this game are these graphical problems. I have no problems myself, but so many people are discrediting the entire game because of some severely overlooked problems.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 October 2011 - 04:53 AM, said:

John Carmack can't be compared with George Broussard at any level.
John Carmack has proven himself through his own work many times in the last decade wile George Broussard is just credited with being there when Duke3d came out.
George Broussard has yet to prove himself with something.

Where did I compare the two?
Yet, this game will need to wait until the patches are in and the Steam forums give the green light, sort of speak.
Apparently the AI is noteworthy, rumours of texture packs floating around, thus hope, for now - no thanks.

@ Descent. Explain. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 05 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Explain what? Carmack and his team shipped a broken product. I'm not buying it unless it's fixed. I've lost a lot of respect for id over this.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It seems that the only people who play WoW are social-retards, kids, and game developers. Which is interesting considering that gamers feel left out to dry by game developers building games for social retards and kids.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 05 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

User is offline   ThePinkus 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 05 October 2011 - 08:27 AM, said:

Zoom on this picture after it loads to see the missing details.
Posted Image

The only thing wrong is that texture resolution is rather low and some buildings are different
Its also at a slightly different angle, so it appears as if some stuff is missing, but its just in a different spot.
In fact the textures are so low that I'm sure the player either very quickly turned to get that angle so the textures aren't fully streamed in yet, or the graphics are automatically set to low. Because it doesn't look that bad in game.

This post has been edited by ThePinkus: 05 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options