Duke4.net Forums: Announcing mod (WIP) : DUKE NUKEM AGAIN - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Announcing mod (WIP) : DUKE NUKEM AGAIN

View PostRichardStorm, on 28 September 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

Hi guys...

Somebody will remember me when I was on 3drealms forum. I'm RichardStorm, from Italy, now 22 y.o., engineering student and Duke fan since 1998 when i played the game for the first time; I discovered duke mods and eduke32 port only in 2006, but i soon started to learn CON language and improve my modding skills in this years, developing many features and making the base for first big duke modding project. Obviously I've played many of the better duke mods, taking inspiration and seeing what is possible with Eduke and what is not.

So here it is:

DUKE NUKEM AGAIN (or DN-Again shortly)

As the name can suggest, aliens are returned, and it's *basically* a new story, set after the fight with the queen, about one year later. I plan to do about 20 levels as campaign and 5-10 levels for alternative playing (facing waves of enemies in survival mode, for example). However, this is overall a gameplay mod and offers a lot of new features; its graphic is 8bit with sprites and only few models and hires texture, and is not compatible with HRP and other mods.
Consider this as a "semi TC": if applied to original DN3D, the game would be very different. The point of this project is to create a very interesting experience:
-The story should have several scientific and biological elements about DN aliens anatomy and technology, for example explain reasons of the earth invasion, with a bit of suspence; so there will be many real time cinematics and many interaction with NPCs, also simple "hello, duke!" civilians, never existed in dn3d making the atmosphere too many unreal.
-Fighting against aliens is also improved: the biggest feature is the set of 25 new or revisited weapons for duke arsenal (plus 5 secret pieces ^^), with secondary fire or selectable modes and ammunitions; to add more realism, stamina involves running, jumping and the new melee fighting, replacing old duke kicks, and weapons have reloading feature and recoil. This is combined to facing new enemies and original ones with fixes and modifications, from small infiltration missions to large fighting scenarios; i plan to add allied marines/EDF soldiers in some missions.

There are many other features in DN-Again project, here are a few of them:
- Many SFX and GFX
- Better explosions with screen shaking, sound variation on distance and physics on corpses
- Improved gore with partial dismemberment
- New hud
- Totally recoded inventory with new and old items
- New activators, keypad, keycards
- Planning some vehicles, as pigcop recon cars and a motorbike

At the current status i don't know which is the percentual of completion of this project: i don't spend so many time on it due to studying and other activities; i still have to learn to build level in Mapster very well; i'm still working on every features of the story to give you a good experience; i often change, recode and/or undo many fatures to make them better working and lesser expansive for cpu and memory, or i change my mind about some of them because redundant, useless or too many similars to other mods. I'm alone to work on it, overall.

Somebody can tell me this mod will be never released because is too big to be the first project of a duke modder, but DN-Again is only the final idea of a series of versions. It's obvious that is wrong to make a single final release, it can became a dead project with no interest by duke's community, so i decided that is better to plan various mods (also stand-alone) and single episodes, until the "ultimate" release.
I'm working on all next-to-be-completed features, then i hope to release a decent version of DN-Again before the end of 2011 with some test and show maps.
(i'm finishing a small mod for Duke's jetpack taken directly from this mod, i'll post it in the next days)

Your presence is VERY helpful for me: i have many many questions, about coding or choosing among some features, but i need your support, overall.

Below are few screenshots of some features, not so great, but just to show something ; it's time to discuss and chew bubble gums.... and we're all out of gums...

Oh my god for once I find someone making a mod without HRP and Lameduke's RPG!?
When you think it might be finished. It almost the end of 2011

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options