Duke4.net Forums: First Map: Indiana Duke - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First Map: Indiana Duke  "First map I've actually finished...TROR and Polymer"

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I've been mapping since the BULID days in the late 90's but never anything more than just playing around with the editor.
Tangent:
Spoiler

Anyway, I have finally decided to release a map. It is short (3-6 minutes for me, but I made the damn thing so I know the paths, combos, and where the enemies are). I made use of the latest features in eduke32 including Polymer lights and TROR. There may be some points where framerate will drop but I didn't notice any serious drops on my own system.

The basic premise is that Duke has come down to a cave and stumbles upon an alien infestation and compound. Kill the mini boss and end the level. I suppose the thing could be expanded but I can't get interested in something like this for more than a month at a time and, even then, my interest may not be consistent during that month - I'm too much of an academic and not so creative. I have pictures and such with a zip including the "readme" and the map. Comments are welcome and I may fix bugs or what have you but I'm fairly certain things work.
Attached Image: duke0001.jpg
Attached Image: duke0002.jpg
Attached Image: duke0003.jpg
Attached Image: duke0004.jpg

Oh, and the name is related to a single room in the level and, perhaps to a certain extent, the transitions of the level. I mean, Indiana Jones did do cave crawling and then aliens showed up...
Attached File  IndyDuke.zip (17.71K)
Number of downloads: 388

User is offline   Lunick 

So I just had a quick run through on Lets Rock and I enjoyed the map, I didn't have a frame drop until the final area with the Battlelord. I didn't notice any bugs.

User is offline   Loke 

Very solid release. Good usage of polymer lighting effects and the TROR feature without that oversaturation of lighting effects that some mappers tend to do. Also very playable without any noticeable drops in framerate save for the final battle. Some parts reminded me very much of The Abyss, especially the large cave with the translucent bridge, which is definitely a good thing.

User is offline   CruX 

Pretty good for a first release. Didn't really have any hitches with it, but I didn't play it with the HRP, so that might've had something to do with it. I did notice that it seems like you paid a lot more attention to detail in the cliffs and caverns that were in the first half of the map than the infested/tech areas of the second.

• I have the power!

It seemed that way because it is probably true. I made the caverns first but then decided I wanted to have an infested area. About that point I lost most interest in the map and didn't come up with a clear idea for where to go from there. I kept going back to the cavern to add details and stuff but couldn't figure out what to do to make the other areas interesting.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Fairly decent map. I liked the area with the translucent bridge most, and how you can see it from various angles. The design in the last part, starting from the room with the conveyor belt, is a bit simplistic for my taste though. Also, what's up with the recent 'lonely SE 0' messages, it's clearly a Mapster32 bug. Have you been using older revisions that don't disable undo?

• I have the power!

I think at some point I was using an older version with undo. I don't know where that lonely SE is...I could try to find it. EDIT: I found them...when I was finishing up the conveyor belt I seemed to to have forgotten to add a lotag to the final SEs there...

If I had more of that creative energy stuff, I'd put more work in the final section. You can think of it like Indiana Jones, however: 1-3 things were decent with some rough spots but a real gem in 3...then a kind of last ditch effort to make it complete with a weak sauce product about aliens. :(

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 25 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

I like simplicity in levels. I think your map is about average. While you did a good job with the cliff part of the map, i still think that if you had the lust, then you could have made it look a bit better. And remember, if you want to make a good-looking map, fill the map with independent sectors and sprites. It makes the map feel more "complete".

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I just finished playing it and thought it was pretty good especially for a first map. I especially liked the way it looked with the polymer HRP and I liked the conveyer part and the use of switches and exploding walls. There where no hitches with running it with the HRP or running at HD resolutions or anything.

It worked well on the OS X version of eDuke32 as well.

Couple of screenshots at 1920x1080 from the OS X eDuke32 running this map:

http://dl.dropbox.co...2/indyduke1.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.co...2/indyduke2.jpg

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 25 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Pretty nice for a first release, I guess (especially if you are using TROR features already). Just remember to put more detail and a decent standart lighting on your maps, no matter how great they look in polymer.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 01 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

The map was cool, especialy because it had me saying "WTF?" when falling through floors at first.

I played this the same night I was Indiana Jones for Halloween!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options