Duke4.net Forums: Hard Reset - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hard Reset  "with a tangent on other PC singleplayer FPS's."

I doubt that aswell. :) you can always hope i mean i bought their game twice :D

User is offline   MetHy 

I waaaant to plaaayyyy thiiiiis gaaaame

Edit : Redux is out now, I just played 1hour and a half. Honeslty so far there is some good and some bad.

There is a new dash movement (taken straight out of Shadow Warrior), the good thing about this dash is that it makes the game much facer paced. The bad thing is that they did not udpate enemies AI in consequence... The game was designed with only be able to sprint forward (and only for a few seconds), and now you have a dash movement that allows you to go faster than sprinting, in all four directions, and as long as you want to.

So you should be able to guess the consequences here: the "rusher" types enemies are now almost completely pointless, and every other enemies are much less of a threat.
Originally the fun of the game was to know the enemies AI and guess their incoming attacks, or react quick enough, that your movement will make you dodge their attacks. Now... you can fuck around not caring so much and get away with it by pressing the dash key. They completely fucked the original's games balance and it takes less skill to be good at the game than before.

The good thing is that they replaced SOME enemies of the original episode by enemies taken from the DLC. However, in 1 hour and a half, this has only happened 2 or 3 times. d

Everything else is the same. I haven't noticed any other difference so far (not even on the graphical side), as I remembered every other enemy placement and most item placements and secret places, although I haven't stumbled on the cyber katana yet.
This being said while I do know the original game very well, I hadn't played it in quite some time.

I am disappointed because they should either have made the dash more limited, or improved the AI in consequence. This could have easily become a much cooler, faster paced gameplay.
You just don't take cool features from game B and insert them in game A, hoping for the best, when the two games have a different gameplay approach.

The achievements seem to all be the same and I honestly don't know if I feel like getting 100% again.

For 3 bucks I'm still glad I'm able to replay this game with some differences on my birthday, because I really like it.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 June 2016 - 01:58 AM

User is offline   ---- 

I played it until the first upgrade station and got stuck in it twice.

Is there a special key to get out of it? Or maybe it is a bug, because there are several reports of players who cannot log out of the station. I can turn, jump and shoot (when turned away) but I cannot move away from the station.

I cannot report on gameplay changes or the AI yet, as I don't want to play without upgraded weapons and only played until the first upgrade station.

I am a bit disappointed that you seem to get the Katana very late. Would have been better if you get it from quite at the beginning to change gameplay more compared to the original.

EDIT:
Workaround for the "stuck in upgrade station-bug" if you are affected by it:

Just save the game and load again and you should be able to walk again.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 03 June 2016 - 03:01 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I've played another level, 2 hours in now. There are more changes now, a bit more enemy choice and placement changes. There is a combat situation near the start of lev3 which was made quite different with enemies and was rather challenging in a pleasant way.

The new "human" enemies are disappointing as they seem to be reskins of the humanoid robots rusher types, and seem to act the same way.

I just got the katana (after 2 hours) and it's kinda cool, but very unfitting imo. I guess it may be useful to get rid of rusher types closing in on you, but otherwise it feels like it doesn't really belong.

Overall I enjoy playing this update but I think they kinda screwed their own game. Because Shadow Warrior was a bigger success doesn't mean they have to "ShadowWarriorize" their previous game.

BTW against the first boss there are infinitely respawning enemies, I grinded 2 whole upgrade bars before I got bored, but you can grind as much as you want here. It was already possible in the original, but here it's even easier since dashing makes it very easy to avoid attacks.

Screnshot

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 June 2016 - 03:52 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Looks like there is a possible graphical downgrade:

User is offline   MetHy 

I don't know what the hell is happening in this video but I have a feel it doesn't look that bad on my computer! Maybe they're using the console version as a base for comparison?

Anyway another ridiculous thing about dashing is how it sends props flying around! Most powerful thing in the game! Kinda shows how it was implemented quickly.... I honestly think they really fucked the game's balance. I'll make a proper review on Steam when I beat it, I'm in the old "DLC" levels now. It's my birthday today and I've decided to play this game all day long, considering it got released today and all :)

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

You can see in the video that they bring up the settings menu which the console version doesn't have as much of a detailed version of.

It mainly looks like ambient occlusion is missing and some minor texture blurring.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

AO you can force in the NVIDIA Control Panel and then you could try using a LOD bias of -2 to try and keep the textures sharp.

User is offline   MetHy 

It certainly looks like the lights are there

Screenshot

I'm telling you something is up with that video, those are Quake3 tier textures, I would have noticed that.

Edit : Beat the game and wrote a review on steam

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

I never heard Hard Reset before see this thread, and try the demo long time ago...then I have buy the Redux version(70 NT$≒2.17USD) since I have SW2013) and play. Hmm, I like it, even it's seems just too similar to SW 2013 in many points...and I like the design of give the player a NANO upgrade option which showed where are them in the HUD, that's what's lacked in SW 2013... :P

Sadly, it still have the bug about the game's display resolution as SW 2013 v1.50...

Since I still use 800x600 as my desktop resolution, I found the game still failed to switch the aspect ratio and locked at 4:3 in fullscreen(maybe that's Windowed fullscreen) for no reason, even in default the game set on 1920x1080, on my screen, it showed 4:3 and fucked up...the only way to fix that shit is manual change the desktop resolution to the same as the game(the same aspect ratio isn't working, if the game's one still BIGGER than my desktop one, it still failed to switch to proper one unless I do manual change before start the game...

That's even more funny if I set my desktop on 1920x1080 and my game on 1600x900, the game still run at 1920x1080, not 1600x900...what the hell?!

Now I'm reconsidering about get the SW2 since I'm afraid this shit happens on that new game too... hates such windowed fullscreen mess... :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 04 June 2016 - 12:12 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah Hard Reset and SW are based on the same kind of game design: linear FPS where you go from one fight situation to the next, where gameplay is based on openly avoiding enemies attack, and with a upgrade system.

However in terms of pure gameplay, combat tactics, both are very different.

The dash and all the animations linked to it, as well as the katana, are the same as in SW, which makes both games look even more similar.

If you want to play this game like it should be played, I say unbind the dash key and force yourself not to use it.

This trend of re-releasing games only to ruin their gameplay balance need to stop!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 04 June 2016 - 12:43 AM

Well, I don't care they ruined balance or what should be played likes, and I tend to use dash for time-saving/walking on long way, as I like that when in SW 2013. :)

The windowed fullscreen problem is more serious for me(and a little pissed me off), but FHW seems never care about it at all. :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 04 June 2016 - 03:07 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

User is offline   MetHy 

I've started playing Heroic Mode and I honestly didn't remember it having that many enemies. Either my memory is failing me or they made Heroic Mode harder which would be nice! I'd have to check to be sure.

Completed the game on Normal, the BOSSes are easy if you know their weak points(never used Cyber-Katana), but seems I tend get killed by those normal monsters....
The ending reminded me about Rage for some reasons...:)

Oh, and I had about 10+ times of death due dashing from higher stairway......stupid engine. :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 05 June 2016 - 05:41 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah the game killing you when you go somewhere you're not supposed to is really annoying.

I remember a level where you're moving through a destroyed building. I was killed for going down some stairs...

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah, there are 3 issues with the game environment's :

- Getting killed by going to places that look accessible or because of a fall/jump that the devs don't want you to make (even if sometimes, it would only bring you back to an earlier gameplay area).

- Collision and actual "blocking walls" of environmental objects not corresponding to what these objects look like. This is particularly annoying when you ARE supposed to jump on those things to reach secrets.

- Invisible walls and other small, realisticly jumpable, barriers blocking the path to areas which you get access to later on. I get and don't mind the whole "falsely interconnected" level design where you're forced to go a long detour just to reach a nearby area, because the regular path is blocked. But here, it often doesn't even LOOK like it's blocked and it's arbitary. Sometimes when doing a detour you actually jump through things that realisticly seem more difficult to reach than if you had jumped over the scraps forcing to do a detour to begin with.
They made an even worse mistake in Shadow Warrior in a temple where you're forced to make a long detour through tunnels because the floor of a temple (with the huge budda statue) has a hole in the middle... Except that were it not for the invisible walls, that hole would be easily jumpable.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 06 June 2016 - 01:54 AM

• Honored Donor

Yeah that really dragged down the experience for me. Shadow Warrior was much, much better in this respect. By the sounds of things the sequel will be even better in this area, but we'll wait and see since it's easy to get hyped by marketing.

User is offline   Lunick 

It's still early for reviews but Redux is currently rated lower than the original version on Steam:
Posted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

My review has a positive rating, but if you read it you'll realize I recommend the original more.

Still I beat the game on Heroic and I enjoyed it very much. It looks like they changed more than I thought, at least on Heroic...

Seems most of HR players(who played original one) hates that Cyber-Katana...and some of SW 2013-like shit in HR Redux... :)

• Honored Donor

It was obviously done to appeal to Shadow Warrior fans who might not have heard/tried the original. This is especially the case since Shadow Warrior owners get a MASSIVE discount.

View PostMicky C, on 07 June 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

It was obviously done to appeal to Shadow Warrior fans who might not have heard/tried the original. This is especially the case since Shadow Warrior owners get a MASSIVE discount.

Yeah, that's why I purchased HR Redux. :)

TBH, I didn't had any interests on HR even I played the demo of original HR... but the Redux sure made me want to get it and try...I'm glad FHW did that program of SW 2013 owners. Except the new engine bugs. :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 June 2016 - 03:33 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

If you're interested in getting Hard Reset Redux even cheaper than $3, this 'bundle' price is for you http://store.steampo...com/bundle/823/ You an grab it for $2.25 if you own Shadow Warrior and Serious Sam 3

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options