Duke4.net Forums: Console ports review - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Console ports review

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I wanted to share some of my knowledge over the console ports, thus here are is a review towards a more technical analysis, rather than gameplay.

I know a lot of Duke Nukem 64 and Total Meltdown, however I haven't played the Saturn version myself, still I know enough to compare it to the others.

Performance:

- Sony Playstation: 4
- Nintendo 64: 8
- Sega Saturn: 8

To start, a comparison beetween the performance of the engine. Total Meltdown is a failure, since it looks more like a DOS emulator rather than a game for itself and the frame rate is ridiculous.

On the other hand, Duke 64 and Sega Saturn, are both great and they did a great job in porting the game to the consoles.

Rendering:

- Sony Playstation: 5.5
- Nintendo 64: 8
- Sega Saturn: 9

Again, Total Meltdown fails in giving a properly version to the console, as it doesn't add anything new to the game.

Duke 64 is a special case, as it works similarily to the Polymer rendered, converting a whole level created using Build Engine in 3D rendering. Duke 64 also brings new special effects, with some usage of transparent images and 3d models.

Even though Saturn doesn't add much in terms of art, it has a total new 3D renderer with dynamic shadows and lighting in the maps. It doesn't get a 10 because this appear to limit the level editing a lot.

Art conversion:

- Sony Playstation: 10
- Nintendo 64: 4
- Sega Saturn: 6.5

Total Meltdown is a masterpiece in terms of the art. It seems they took care of recreating every single monster using their original 3d models, and using the original pictures used for ammo and other sprites before they were converted in Duke palette. You probably will notice the monster are a lot more like Chuck Jones rendering than the PC variants. Besides there are some new enemies with the same level of graphics.

Nintendo 64 has a serious issue with the conversion of the art. It's hard to explain, but there are two major problem, the first one being the palette per image. For some reason, every texture appear to be converted with it's own palette, and later the colors are altered, making a lot of them looking washed. Secondly, and worst, is the stretching and unstretching of the textures. It appears that the engine doesn't support the rendering of textures that are not multiples of 8 pixels, thus mostly textures are streched giving extra vertical and horzintal lines. Still, the ROM contains internal ART files which contains the original width and height of the texture, as a result every image is rendered with extra vertical and horizontal lines, but mostly also missing other vertical and horzintal lines. In other words, it's a big mess that makes the sprites look weird but also missing some data, which is a great loss.

Saturn doesn't add much in terms of art (despite some slight altered textures, mostly to save some CPU). In fact, the menus and all looks a little dull based on the texture choice (that is not new art at all).

New levels / changes in levels:

- Sony Playstation: 8
- Nintendo 64: 7.5
- Sega Saturn: 5

Saturn remake all the levels, mostly because unlike Duke 64 they don't have an engine that can render the Build engine levels in 3D, thus they were forced to create everything from the zero. They only have one new map called Urea 51 which is not better than the title. The original makes are worse than the original and with parts cut.

Sony Playstation has a great new episode, Plug and Pray. But I won't give it a better rating because of lots of bugs or inconsistent parts in these levels.

Duke 64 changed the original maps (some like Stadium are pratically new), and made very interesting changes. However it seems the mappers had a lack of mastery in the Build editor, and it seems clear they didn't knew about some commands such as copy & paste of sectors (which probably would have saved them more than half of the time they spent).

Coding:

- Sony Playstation: 3
- Nintendo 64: 9
- Sega Saturn: 6

Total Meltdown only adds a few extra enemies, and it seems clear they did it using the normal CON codes. Actually the changes in the CON codes are very amateur. The enemies lack alert sounds, nor they took care of the amount given by dropped items.

Duke 64 seems to have done a good job, working with both CON codes and source code. There is a whole new set of functioning weapons, with alternative ammo and new projectiles. It's actually a very expensive deal reproduce everything.

Saturn created it's own whole code for everything, making it a whole new game with the visuals of Duke, but it isn't better than the PC game.

Bugs:

- Sony Playstation: 5.5
- Nintendo 64: 4.5
- Sega Saturn: -

Sony Playstation is mostly the same thing as the PC version, however mostly because of their amateur CON coding we have some ugly bugs, but a noticeable is the size bug of the Battlelord. It's hard to explain, but they halved the sprite in order to save CPU, and they tried to counter it doubling his size via CON, however apparently they couldn't figure out how to not do it for the mini Battlelords that appear in episode 2 and further. I think I don't need to mention how much trouble that caused.

Duke 64 has a lot of serious erros and mistakes. I didn't give it a lower rating because I comprehend they did a lot of works. A few examples of bugs: there are blueish Expander weapons laying all around the levels, which actually are multiplayer-only sprites, however the sprite doesn't actually has that function. The Grenade Launcher projectiles can't tell whenever an enemy is or not in a vertical space, as a result there are magical vertically infinite hit boxes in the monsters.

There really isn't much to rate Saturn ever since it's pratically a whole new game in terms of the code, so you can't compare it.

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You forgot the Mega Drive and game.com versions.

Performance: 0
Rendering: 0
Art conversion: 1 (The Mega Drive took advantage of NTSC blurriness to get away with fewer colors.)
New levels / changes in levels: 0
Coding: 0
Bugs: 0

Review: Utter shit.

Great. My personal favorite is the psx version simply because it's the closest to the PC version. That and the disco version of the music.

View Postrasmus thorup, on 17 September 2011 - 05:47 AM, said:

Great. My personal favorite is the psx version simply because it's the closest to the PC version. That and the disco version of the music.

Total Meltdown's OST is very interesting because many consider it the worst of the series, while others, including myself, think it's the best. I could listen to Mark Knight's remixes all day. And if he is really set on remaking all of those tunes, then I'll be the first one to buy the new album. By far the best version of Grabbag and Stalker is in TM...to me atleast.

User is offline   Martin 

I already made this thread. Not trying to be a cunt, just saying.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

I thought you were gonna review DNF console ports.
I was gonna say, they're both pretty shit

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I like Total Meltdown's OST, but I do not think it's superior. It's just good in it's own way. The Game.COM version has some cool shit, by the way.

Game.COM's music was alittle catchy, but I don't know I just find the PC version's OST alittle boring. For example, I thought "Stalker 2" fit much better in Red Light District on the PSX compared to the PC's track. The same could be said for Spaceport, as I thought "Mellow Chello" fit the mood and stage perfectly. I do love the Duke Burger theme though. Of course, these are just my opinions, lol. It's just something about Total Meltdown's OST that just gets me really hyped. I really can't say that for the PC version.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 05 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Now that I think about it, you may be biased. The music on TM sounds the same always, but the PC music depends on your sound card. Your soundcard could have just been shitty. My Windows95 machine had a much better soundcard (in terms of MIDI anyway) than my XP machine, and the difference was abysmal. Check out MusicallyInspired's Roland Sound Canvas 55 music pack to hear the music as it was composed and meant to be heard.

I wouldn't say I'm biased, as I do have Duke 3D on Xbox 360, from which I've heard, features upgraded MIDI instruments...a big step above any version on the PC port. So the sound card wouldn't be an issue. I just preferred TM's OST alot more, as I thought it set the mood better for killing ailens and whatnot. The PC version, though it does feature some good tracks, just didn't feel "right" to me....eventhough, of course, it was developed for that machine first. Have you heard the recent up to date remakes of a couple of tracks from TM? They're pretty good.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 05 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

From what I can tell on YouTube, the Xbox tracks are shit and don't sound like the SC55.

To each their own I guess :(

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

What?

I'm basically saying that I don't think either person's mind will change as far as what version of Duke 3D's OST is better. You apparently think the PC version's is better (up to date MIDI sounds really isn't the point since they're the same songs regardless), while I think TM's is.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

No. The PC's soundtrack was written on the Sound Canvas 55, which had an advanced instrument set, instruments and sounds that many soundcards back then and even now don't have. The SC55 soundtrack is the only way you can have a legitimate opinion on the soundtrack, because the Xbox version sounds just as shitty as it does on my XP machine. You show ignorance as to how MIDI actually works. Depending on WHAT it's playing on it can sound completely different. My whole point was that you've never actually heard the soundtrack as it was intended because the Xbox soundtrack fucking blows. I don't even care if you like it or not, it's just the fact that you don't have a real basis to make an opinion on it, because it's like saying you don't like Smells Like Teen Spirit because you heard a kazoo version.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 06 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

Dude, I could give two shits about what the "legitimate" version is. I've heard MANY versions of the OST. Whether it's the one you've mentioned, or the Xbox (never said I liked it btw) or Saturn ports....doesn't matter to me. They all blow in my opinion compared to TM's. Hence why I said "to each their own". The tracks in the PC Duke 3D were just straight up boring as shit to me to the point that back in the day, I was playing my own shit. I do the same with the Xbox version. And if you're gonna say "Well you didn't give it a chance", let me stop you there, because I did. Many times actually. So how that shows ignorance, eventhough I said it's JUST MY OPINION that I prefer Total Meltdown's tracks, while mostly original along with good remixes of the older songs, doesn't add up. I could care less about which sound card is used, the fact is, they're pretty much the same songs..but sound differently. To me, the original songs in TM just fit the atmosphere better IMO. People might hate it, and that's really their problem, because at the end of the day, my opinion won't change as to which one should "truly be heard". IDK if you're trying to be "right" because there is no reason to. It's kinda like you're trying to "school" me on something I already know about, and quite frankly don't care since it doesn't really change my view. Opinions are just like assholes...well you know the rest. Bottom line, I just think they suck. BTW, I never said I've only heard the 360 version (I've already stated I've heard most...if not EVERY version of the OST), I'm just saying I HEARD it was using up to date MIDI tools.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 06 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

My point still lies because you've never heard the SC-55 version. You're not reading very well and too stuck on saying that the TM tracks are better which is irrelevant.

I think it's you my friend, who's not understanding. I've never stated that I haven't heard the SC-55 tunes, you're just for whatever reason, assuming I didn't. I'm saying I HAVE heard that version, along with all the others (mostly), and I still think it fails in comparison to TM.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 06 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 05 October 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

Now that I think about it, you may be biased. The music on TM sounds the same always, but the PC music depends on your sound card. Your soundcard could have just been shitty. My Windows95 machine had a much better soundcard (in terms of MIDI anyway) than my XP machine, and the difference was abysmal. Check out MusicallyInspired's Roland Sound Canvas 55 music pack to hear the music as it was composed and meant to be heard.

View Postthelegend4ever, on 05 October 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

I wouldn't say I'm biased, as I do have Duke 3D on Xbox 360, from which I've heard, features upgraded MIDI instruments...a big step above any version on the PC port. So the sound card wouldn't be an issue. I just preferred TM's OST alot more, as I thought it set the mood better for killing ailens and whatnot. The PC version, though it does feature some good tracks, just didn't feel "right" to me....eventhough, of course, it was developed for that machine first. Have you heard the recent up to date remakes of a couple of tracks from TM? They're pretty good.

You never expressly stated you listened to it. Don't contradict yourself.

Well when I said I've listened to "most if not all", kinda figured it was given I did. But the bottom line is, I did.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Then you probably should have said so when I was like "You should listen to it." That's what a normal person does.

Is anyone here really "normal"? If anybody is a hardcore fan of Duke Nukem, then chances are they're not. Just sayin...

BTW, this convo should've ended a long time ago, lol. The fact that it kept going (if you're trying to be "right" because I didn't give out every single little detail that you wanted to hear, IDK, but it sure as hell comes off that way), shows that neither one of us is.That's what a "normal person" would've done, :(

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 08 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postthelegend4ever, on 08 October 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

Is anyone here really "normal"? If anybody is a hardcore fan of Duke Nukem, then chances are they're not. Just sayin...

Does anyone really want to be normal?

View PostReaperMan, on 08 October 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

Very simple yet insightful question. I'm gonna go ahead and say no. Who wants to be normal? The wolrd would be a far more boring place than what it is now.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostReaperMan, on 08 October 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

Define normal as a point, and the answer is hell no. Define normal as a range, and the answer varies upon its inclusivity.

User is offline   Martin 

I think 'normal' is the façade most people put on in order that their everyday lives can be less stressful, and/or that they're less likely to be singled out from the herd. However, during private moments, these same people show their real selves, and it's seldom anything near to 'the norm'. Most people who are seen as 'abnormal' are actually just the same as everyone else, except that they choose not to/are unable to put on said façade. That's the way I like to look at these things. This dawned on me one night ages ago when we were out in Camden town in London. If you've ever been, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. You're literally surrounded by apparent freaks. Seven out of ten people walking around will have some ridiculously extreme sense of fashion and/or lifestyle. Cyber goths with huge platforms and neon tubes in their hair, masochist gimps, intense piercings everywhere. If you wanted to, you could go around asking men if they had cock rings. You wouldn't have to ask more than two or three people before you got a "Yep. Wana see?". It basically dawned on me that, there, I was the freak. I looked 'normal' as far as you guys are concerned, but there I stood out really badly. It was palpable how different I looked to everyone else.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

In my defense, I am retarded. I make no qualms about it, but I really shouldn't be allowed upon the general populace. My idiosyncrasies and multiple distinguishable battling personalities do not incur positive outcomes most times. I shall return to my D.M.S.O. mixed with L.S.D.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 10 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

Pointless troll is pointless.*insert yawny smiley face here*

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Actually, your post is the troll post.

Just when I was about to say the same exact thing....

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 12 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options