Duke4.net Forums: Let's Rork - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let's Rork  "an upcoming polymer TROR map"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

"Let's Rork" is a Polymer TROR map designed with polymer lights and the HRP. It's also my 4th official map after my yet-to-be-released WGRealms 2 map (currently in beta), which also uses TROR. Born out of the now defunct TROR CBP, Let's Rork comprises of some of the best bits of my abandoned/unfinished maps from the past year or two, connected and encased in recent work. Part of the purpose of this map is to showcase the potential of TROR, and as such, contains a variety of TROR constructions ranging from simple to quite complex.

The theme is hi-tech/alien. Duke must travel through an EDF facility of which one of its functions is water processing. It's a smallish map, and currently takes me 9 minutes to go from start to finish with 2/3 of the gameplay missing, but in terms of overall structure it's quite complete already.

Two possible release dates: Either early october or late november, depending on how busy I am with upcoming exams.

Enjoy a pic:

Posted Image

Words of encouragement are always appreciated.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Transparent sloped panels dividing the inside from the outside is definitely something that takes good advantage of TROR. I think it would be even better if it were raining outside, and you could see and hear the rain pitter patter against the glass. And then finally if you could destroy one of the sloped windows and the rain started falling inside that would be mind blowing (for build). EDIT: Of course if the windows were not sloped, then everyone would assume they were sprites and it would be no big deal :(

That table could use some laptop computers or something to make it look less empty. I imagine it is the conference room for some huge multinational corporation.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostDeeperThought, on 04 September 2011 - 12:32 AM, said:

That table could use some laptop computers or something to make it look less empty. I imagine it is the conference room for some huge multinational corporation.

He could use the models from Dukeplus (asuming he hasn't any problem with use dukeplus), wait, is there a laptop model in Dukeplus?

• Honored Donor

View PostDeeperThought, on 04 September 2011 - 12:32 AM, said:

...And then finally if you could destroy one of the sloped windows and the rain started falling inside that would be mind blowing (for build). EDIT: Of course if the windows were not sloped, then everyone would assume they were sprites and it would be no big deal :(

View PostNorvak, on 04 September 2011 - 12:50 AM, said:

He could use the models from Dukeplus (asuming he hasn't any problem with use dukeplus), wait, is there a laptop model in Dukeplus?

I wasn't originally planning on using Dukeplus, as I want it to be fully compatible with regular Duke. I don't have a problem with it (my first map required DukePlus), perhaps I'll add some optional things like rain and sparkers if it suits well.
The room with the table is actually just your average, every day room with a table Posted Image

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Someone's dining room perhaps? :(

User is offline   Kyanos 

It looks amazing Micky!!
Show'em what TROR is all about. :(

• Honored Donor

Holy shit, I just made one of the coolest and most mind-blowing things ever constructed on the build engine. It was quick and easy, but it looks great and will make your head explode. You could say it's fan-tastic! :(

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 September 2011 - 04:56 AM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Just thinking about it made my head explode! :(

Posted Image

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostMicky C, on 05 September 2011 - 04:50 AM, said:

Holy shit, I just made one of the coolest and most mind-blowing things ever constructed on the build engine.

See, these teases just piss me off. Of course, I just made a translucent conveyor. :(

• Honored Donor

Well I gave a hint of what it is, so it's not a complete tease.

That conveyor idea is pretty smart, it seems that new and exciting ways of using TROR are being discovered all the time.

• Honored Donor

Ok I'm looking for people to help me test out my map. It's only 70% done;

Map layout: 100%
Texturing: 70%
Gameplay: 30%
Details: 70%
Sub-areas: 80%
Lighting: 70%

But it's completely playable from start to finish, except it has a few SE's to link between some places where there will be proper connections. I'm mainly interested in the flow of the map at this point.

Any volunteer testers will be acknowledged in the readme file.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 07 September 2011 - 02:26 AM

User is offline   Shawneth 

I would absolutley love to beta test!
:( PM me or something else :(

• Honored Donor

A lot of progress has been made in the last week or so. I decided to add on another area, a canyon. At the top of it, a cliche flying saucer is attacking this small group of buildings. The scene is still WIP obviously, but it's a nice demonstration of TROR. Theoretically the giant saucer should be able to spin around and the smaller ships could fly all over the place if I put in the SE effects correctly. One of the main goals of this map is still as a demonstration map, so I'm trying to fit in as many ways of using TROR as I can think of. Hopefully after seeing how some of the geometry/effects are made, other mappers might be able to do it better, or build entire maps around some of the ideas.

Posted Image

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Doesn't this HUD hand model looks way too shiny to anyone else? That sounds like it would fit for the shotgun metal, but probably not the hand. If they're part of the same model and nobody is around to do a specular map, maybe it would be better to set the specular material to the least shiny common denominator.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on 11 September 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

Doesn't this HUD hand model looks way too shiny to anyone else? That sounds like it would fit for the shotgun metal, but probably not the hand. If they're part of the same model and nobody is around to do a specular map, maybe it would be better to set the specular material to the least shiny common denominator.

The model has a surface specifically for the arms, so I can add specpower and specfactor in the surface definition like this, right?

model "DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/WEAPONS/Cruizer.md3" {
scale .9
shade 3
skin { pal 0 surface 0 file "DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/WEAPONS/2barrel.png" } // 2barrel
skin { pal 0 surface 1 file "DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/WEAPONS/3grips.png" } // 3grips
skin { pal 0 surface 2 file "DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/WEAPONS/1rec.png" } // 1rec
skin { pal 0 surface 3 file "DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/WEAPONS/shell.png" } //shell
skin { pal 0 surface 4 file "DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/WEAPONS/arms256.png" specpower 1 specfactor 0.1 } //arms256

I have no idea what values to use and it's not documented in the wiki.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

There are overrides for that too, IIRC it's r_pr_overridespecular for enabling it, and r_pr_specular{factor,power} for the parameters.

Looks really great micky.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

That's amazing work and a feast for the eyes, even in its current unfinished state. I think that for a demo, there ought to be connections between the different areas, because people will probably be discouraged to dnclip their way through in Polymer. A modified version adding a couple of tunnels in between is attached.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Huh? I thought it was playable without cheating and I was just lost...well, if the sections weren't connected, that changes everything. I have a nice little 5 minute TROR map that needs some bug fixing but I'll eventually release it.

I'll have to wander through in Mapster or something to see this map. Or I'll play Helixhorned's adaptation.

• Honored Donor

I had a quick look at the connected verison, and those corridors are quite long and would be tedious to go through when playing. I actually had transporter SEs connecting the parts that were separate, so it was already possible to finish the map without cheating (well, at least without clipping.) I appreciate the thought though.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options