Duke4.net Forums: A bouquet for the Eduke Developers! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A bouquet for the Eduke Developers!

User is offline   Paul B 

I just wanted to take a minute to personally thank everyone involved with the development of Eduke32 & Mapster. Thank you for keeping this great game alive and provisioning the code by adding new features and correcting bugs. I really enjoy reading your Source Forge updates even though I don’t have a clue what they mean. I’m always scanning for any words that say fixed multi player code :( Haha! =)

Anyway, if it wasn't for the masterminds behind EDuke this game wouldn't be getting the well deserved attention it needs. EDuke has provided the community with countless hours of cheap entertainment and I believe I speak for everyone when I say this... The game looks great, plays great and we really appreciate it!Thanks again to a great bunch of smart guys who find time in their lives to keep us all entertained.

Feel free to contribute to this thread and let the developers know what a great job they are doing!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Sometimes it's easy to take the work done on eduke32 for granted, but obviously the awesome new features like polymer and TROR don't code themselves! So thanks Plagman, Helixhorned, TerminX (& Hendricks266 and anyone else I don't know about) for your continual dedication to the port, allowing people to relive their childhood memories, play an awesome game on modern systems, and develop kick-ass mods, user maps and TCs.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Yeah, eDuke32 is certainly one of the more advanced ports when it comes to improvements that is available for free. The people working on the HRP also deserve a bouquet for their work especially since it is one of the first packs that is remotely true to the original in terms of quality. Other projects still don't have as good a HRP as eDuke32 has.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 28 August 2011 - 11:54 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Thanks! Even though I've only been coding for the project for 2-3 months and haven't made much impact, I'm still honored. :(

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 29 August 2011 - 01:07 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

Just had a chance to play with ROR and made my first 3 story structure in a few minutes. I am very impressed with this new feature it is seemless to use. Thanks Helix! I am looking forward to implementing this in a new map!!! I am also very thankful for Micky C's instructions on how to actually implement this feature. I was up and running in seconds.

Here are his instructions incase anyone is curious.

" I'll now create a step-by-step guide explaining how to make an area below a manhole, like in Helixhorned's example. I assume
you're already proficient in regular mapping.
1. Create the child sector where you want the manhole to be.
2. Highlight the sector with right-alt.
3. Hold control and press e. (This gives you the option to extend up or down)
4. We want to extend down so press z.
5. Hold control and press a so that in the bottom left of the screen it says something like "automatic grayout of plain sectors on" (you'll have to press it again if it says it's off) This allows you to edit the bunches seperately.
6. Either go into side view mode, and alter the player position by holding the middle mouse button and moving the mouse up or down OR press 'page down' a few times. Either way, the end result should look like the child sector you created now has a white boundary. This means you're working on the extension now.
7. Now you can treat the extension as the very first room you've made on a new map, and add sectors to the side of it. Make a sector all around it if you know how. You have just created a room under another room, where both can be seen at the same time. "

Can't wait to make a new map with ROR!

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thanks a lot guys! Your hard work is greatly appreciated. The engine itself has always been beautiful, then Plagman turned on the lights, well done.
And Helixhorned, I fell the need to say, I use mapster32 sometimes to get very detailed looks at models I am making. The 3d view looks better, draws faster, and is more easily navigated than any modeling program I've seen yet. Excellent!!
Also, I am grateful for you dedication to keeping to the intentions and ideals of Duke3D while constantly advancing, not an easy task at all.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDrek, on 29 October 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

And Helixhorned, I fell the need to say, I use mapster32 sometimes to get very detailed looks at models I am making. The 3d view looks better, draws faster, and is more easily navigated than any modeling program I've seen yet. Excellent!!

Haha, you're (mis)using Mapster32 as a modelling tool? Sounds like fun! I admit I've been using its 2D mode as a simple vector drawing program on occasion.

Great to see TROR gaining momentum, too.

User is offline   Paul B 

Don't think I haven't noticed the synthesis builds over the last week. I've been keeping an extremely close eye on the release updates like an addict to cocaine. It is so nice to see the team back in action and working toward a common goal with regards to the net code. If there is anything I can do to contribute to the project let me know. You guys are awesome and there's nothing you can't do! The community is grateful for your hard work and perseverance.

You guys rock! Go Team Duke!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 19 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPaul B, on 19 May 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Don't think I haven't noticed the synthesis builds over the last week.

Go here = http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/
if you follow the dates, 17 revisions took place from 12. May 2012 to 19 May 2012, and counting, the day ain't over yet.

the update for today is written here = http://dukeworld.duk...9/ChangeLog.txt

I should also, be more supportive, but a new game computer that can handle this engine costs like three big ones, so I rather wait for them to get done, especially polymer.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I think you missed the point of his post. He said he has indeed noticed the new revisions and that he loves that we're all working together on the netcode.

User is offline   Hank 

@ Plagman - OK, somewhere TerminX wrote in this forum that he will not work on the netcode unless he has a better internet connection himself. And I have not seen any other programmer volunteering to step in. (after all it is not simple stuff you can do on a weekend)
So yes, I still don't understand Paul B. 's post then (I read three it times now) and accept your interpretation.
Posted Image

[added]
I will read posts only at five in the morning, when I am awake! Don't ask, but I've got it. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 20 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

warms my heart to see the team working together on the netcode, if I get paid enough next month I may just have to throw down a donation! (even though I'm poor as shit right now :))

This post has been edited by James: 20 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostJames, on 20 May 2012 - 06:14 AM, said:

if I get paid enough next month I may just have to throw down a donation! (even though I'm poor as shit right now :))

I thinks I will start using some of my server donations to fund eduke32 as well.

EDIT: Every bit helps. :P

This post has been edited by Cody: 21 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

Not like there is ever a dull moment in the Eduke Community but I have been noticing it has been generating a lot of positive attention as well as reaching a larger audience. This is great to see! I feel the need to bump this post again just to say keep up the great work Eduke Developers you've been really busy putting out and making awesome improvements to the wonderful game we all love!

So to the Eduke team, your hard work will always be recognized and appreciated! Keep up the great work and thank you!

As for the Eduke Forums I've also noticed a big change in the way people conduct their posts and it's a very welcoming change which leads me only to believe the moderators are doing a great job too! You guys rock!

From the loyal fan club,
Paul

This post has been edited by Paul B: 13 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'll donate to this project at the end of this month when I get my paycheck. It was about time I did after 10 years of using mapster32.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPaul B, on 13 May 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

So to the Eduke team, your hard work will always be recognized and appreciated! Keep up the great work and thank you!

Yes. Without EDuke32, there would be no Duke community out there. I looked up the latest revisions, a lot of work.
Thank you guys for being here through thick and thin.

Cheers
Hank

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

What is also remarkable is how the recent Megaton release apparently motivated everyone to bring some features into EDuke32 which made it even more superior than it already was (at least it seemed so, I guess in the end, it had rather little to do with it, hehe).

This community is providing exactly what Gearbox failed to demonstrate with DNF: Caring for the product (even if it's not the own one in this case), listening to user feedback, staying in contact with everyone, being motivated and showing it, always looking for ways to push it further and further.

We can be glad to be blessed with such capable and talented people around here who help keeping the game alive, and it's now more important than ever because we STILL have to wait for a worthy Duke3D successor. And it's not just the guys working on the port, it's also the modders (just consider latest DNF 2013 release), the artists (for HRP), coders, etc etc. It's a pleasure being here. ;)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostNightFright, on 14 May 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

This community is providing exactly what Gearbox failed to demonstrate with DNF: Caring for the product (even if it's not the own one in this case), listening to user feedback, staying in contact with everyone, being motivated and showing it, always looking for ways to push it further and further.

Posted Image

User is offline   Diaz 

Yeah, EDuke32 is worthy of all our praise. Mapster and CON make one-man game projects feasible (development is very complex with other engines) and with Polymer, at least we can make something that looks like 2006, rather than 1996.

Heck, if it had some post-processing, it could look current-gen.

I'd have lost interest in modding if it wasn't for EDuke32 ;)

This post has been edited by Diaz: 14 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

User is offline   David B. 

I come accross this thread, and I also have the feeling to express my gratitude to the team working to improve DN everyday.
I love the high resolution modes and the eduke32 system ; I would never get back to the game without it.

But mappers nowadays give a sense to this work : new releases are the best way to thanks this team beside the words.

And... I don't care the game dates from 1996 because the incredible work done allows us to do incredible things with it. It's the only game accessible for such a personalisation, modding, considering other engine games are often far more complex and need sometimes über powerful machines and recent ati cards... while you can just create your own personal game with duke... in peace.

That was my thoughts of the day.

This post has been edited by David B.: 31 May 2013 - 02:41 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

What can I say? thanks to modding , duke3d, eduke32 and mapster32 I'm now working on the games industry. If I didn't have such nice tools to work with the story would've been different.

User is offline   Paul B 

Dev Team!

I just wanted to bump this thread again because I felt it is well overdue. I know this last year has been a challenging year for many, whether it is complications with development, family life, other commitments, distractions or critics like myself. However, in the end you have triumphed! You guys continue to be pillars of the community who have been there through thick and thin. You have over come countless challenges and are still able to make steady and solid progress.

I just want to refresh this thread again to say thank you for all you do! Thank you for your passion, hard work and devotion to the project. Most importantly, thank you for having an open ear to the Duke community and accepting and working with us even though we may come across as arrogant, impatient, naïve, or frustrated. With each release there is always noticeable improvements! Congratulations Terminx, Hendricks, Plagman, & Helix!! ! May you continue to strive forward with success in everything and anything you do!

Happy 4th of July! Cheers !!!!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 05 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

I'm starting to wonder if Eduke32 isn't part of the top 3 best known source ports of games in the world ... I bet it is, if not it's a scandal !

Also nice to see EDuke is partially what keeps the community alive, the community on other games of that time isn't as alive such as Doom or the first Quake, or Redneck Rampage ... But I don't mind since my favorite of all is the most alive one of the bunch ^^

I know it's not related (or not entirely) and it wasn't made for it but I retroactively (and timidly) dedicate my 2 Duke fanarts (old) to you guies for this thankies occasion !

Duke Planem : Attached Image: Duke Planem.png

Plane it out in DC : Attached Image: Plane it out in DC.png

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 04 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Just yesterday Helix sent me a message saying he fixed a bug I reported several months ago. I'm not sure if it means he's back or not (probably not), but the fact he took the time to fix it despite it being a busy time of his life shows great commitment!

User is offline   Jmoc 

Me too want to thank all the dev that were, are and will work on this project. I've been playing Duke since '96, went through a lot of user maps, tried to build my own (without luck), tried JonoF and another port I don't remember, set-up multiplayer with friends.

I was amazed when the first HRP came out, then I was amazed again when Polymer came out, and now I can't wait to put my hands on PolymerNG. Sadly, my video cards were always outdated.

I've played every stock level with DukePlus with enemy random attributes at 20 (try it for the ultimate experience), played every map of the Addon Compilation (even though I already played half of those back in the years).

I don't know what made Duke3D the game that it is, but sure I'm not alone in loving it. Great job devs. I'm a developer too, and I can see the enormous amount of work put into the project, from the raw code to the coordination, from the map makers to the art designers.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'd like to thank Plagman and Hendricks for fixing several rendering bugs with Polymer that were causing us to pull our hair out.

I would definitely like to thank Plagman; without Polymer, PolymerNG would not exist so thank you to all the great work he's done. I would also like to thank Hendricks and TX; I'm sure I've given them a heart attack a time or two :P, both of them do great work and eduke32 is a fantastic project.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options