Duke4.net Forums: Rumor: Gearbox rebooting Duke Nukem after finishing Colonial Marines - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rumor: Gearbox rebooting Duke Nukem after finishing Colonial Marines

User is offline   randir14 

Gearbox is reportedly set to reboot Duke Nukem after development on Aliens: Colonial Marines ends, according to the same OXM rumour wrap that cited Fable IV for a 2013 release this morning. The reboot will come with Duke Begins, the project that Gearbox was working on before taking over development on Forever after being in dev hell for 15 years. After announcing it took over development on DNF, the Texan developer said it had became the rights holders of the IP.

http://www.vg247.com...-marines-wraps/

User is offline   LkMax 

After Forever, a reboot can be either the best thing or the worst thing to happen to Duke Nukem. Let's hope it's the best (if it's true).

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Well, going back to Dr. Proton could be seen as a reboot either way. Did anyone really not see this coming though? Who thought that Gearbox gaining the Duke IP meant that after DNF they where just going to let it languish and not use it? Raise your hands. Duke Begins isn't even a new concept anyway so it's a *smacks forehead* "OF COURSE" kind of moment here. I here hope to see more of an open world Duke game like I've said elsewhere here with this one.

I kind of expected it. Gearbox didn't buy the IP just to release someone else's game, and I think it was back in Septermber or October when Randy was asked about Duke Begins, he replied "I cant talk about that right now".

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Why am I half-expecting Duke6 to be called The Duke Knight?

As LkMax said, a reboot could either make or break Duke Nukem as a franchise, depending on what direction the developers take. At this point, however, there's only speculation.

User is offline   LkMax 

I knew they were going to do another game, but it doesn't necessarily mean a reboot (could be a sequel or anything else Duke-related). Also we never had any other official information since Begins announcement, so it's not that obvious.

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 22 August 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

Why am I half-expecting Duke6 to be called The Duke Knight?

I thought the same :) Duke Nukem do a lot of reference to other games/movies everywere, so Batman came in mind.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 22 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Oh boy, here we go... Posted Image

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostLkMax, on 22 August 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

I thought the same :) Duke Nukem do a lot of reference to other games/movies everywere, so Batman came in mind.

Duke Nukem Forever officialy was a nod to Batman Forever.

This post has been edited by Helel: 22 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

Duke begins was already well underway, so it probably just makes sense to go ahead and do it.

Can't say I'm tremendously interested in it, though.

User is offline   Kathy 

If Duke Begins won't have greater amount of interactivity then I'm not really interested in it. And given that most FPS don't really go into interactivity features I don't have high hopes for what DB would offer.

This post has been edited by Helel: 22 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I'd be interested even if they just added an open world and better writing to what they had in DNF. Even an open world in the same scope as in Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines would be nice.... which is.. not huge but with quite a few decent hub worlds.. Another reason why I thought of that game is it had a strip club that you could visit and the clan quest mod adds an ending to it similar to what happens at the end of the titty city level in DNF (private lap dance with an implied 'happy ending'). :) You never know though with the experience they have with Borderlands they may have something like that in mind.

I would say I would like better graphics too but that's almost a given and in my opinion the only real problem DNF had in that department is some of the graphics such as the textures on the wrecking ball crane being outdated due to the protracted dev cycle.

On the other hand this is Gearbox we are talking about so I kind of don't think we could expect Duke Begins to be less hostile to modders than DNF don't you think?

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 22 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I just don't want them to sully it by over complicating the Duke character, having overly linear levels, and being too crude (and having it get in the way of doing things like shooting aliens and saving chicks!)

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 22 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

As much as people like to blame gearbox here for the crudeness you have to realize that 98% of the game was probably done before they ever god a hold of it.... I especially say this after reading the development timeline. It said they completed the SP portion before Gearbox joined in to help polish it up. The bed was already made pretty much.... gearbox just straightened the top of the blanket a little and folded the top of the sheet over... and perhaps fluffed up the pillows a little. :)

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 22 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Hopefully they'll listen to what fans have been complaining about in great amounts about DNF and implement them in whatever Duke game they end up making.

As long as rebooting stands for "re adding the mighty boot back in the game as an active melee" then things are already starting to look better.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

View PostMr.Deviance, on 22 August 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

As long as rebooting stands for "re adding the mighty boot back in the game as an active melee" then things are already starting to look better.

+1 for that. :)

Does anyone find this remotely surprising?

I'm a little more optimistic than Crunchy. ;) There's a ton of ex-3drealms talent at Gearbox who I'm sure want to create a cohesive, rocking and on-time Duke game. Ha.

Full circle for some of those guys and I'm happy for them!

User is offline   Loke 

If it turns out to be true I'd be very eager to see what they could come up with.

• Honored Donor

View Postkaisersoze, on 23 August 2011 - 03:41 AM, said:

There's a ton of ex-3drealms talent at Gearbox who I'm sure want to create a cohesive, rocking and on-time Duke game. Ha.

Maybe so. Unfortunately, it will likely be 2K calling the shots, so I expect more console, play-it-safe, corporate sequelitis from all future Duke games.

Optimism is overrated.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I'm waiting to see how Colonial Marines turns out before investing more of my time and money into future Gearbox games.

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postcrunchysuperman, on 23 August 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

Maybe so. Unfortunately, it will likely be 2K calling the shots, so I expect more console, play-it-safe, corporate sequelitis from all future Duke games.

Optimism is overrated.

This. It's a nice thought, but 2k is going to ruin it. And we won't get mod tools or a console.

I don't understand why it has to be a reboot. Forever had the teaser with Duke 'running for president', and I was all set to duke it out in D.C. :/

View Postcrunchysuperman, on 23 August 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

Optimism is overrated.

Does Take Two/2K have any rights to future Duke games? I thought they only owned DNF. And now that Gearbox owns the Duke IP they can do whatever they want, even switch publishers for the next game if they wanted to.

User is offline   Kathy 

It seems, Duke Begins also had an agreement about Take-Two as a publisher. Perhpas Take-Two was even financing it to some degree.

• The Sarien Encounter

2k/Take Two said a couple months back that they weren't finished with the Duke IP and that more would be coming from them. I can't remember where.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

I really hope they keep Jon St. John as the voice actor for Duke; Max Payne fans WOULD NOT STOP BITCHING when it was announced that James McAffrey wasn't playing Max for the third game.

I think a reboot is needed. After DNF failed more hard than the XFL or Pepsi Blue, including the shit ending, I think Gearbox needs to rethink what they could possible do the Duke Nukem series to bring it back to it's roots and make him relevant (atleast to many people) again.

• Honored Donor

View Postrandir14, on 23 August 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

Does Take Two/2K have any rights to future Duke games? I thought they only owned DNF. And now that Gearbox owns the Duke IP they can do whatever they want, even switch publishers for the next game if they wanted to.

It really doesn't matter who the publisher is. So long as games cost as much as they do to develop and the publisher is putting up the cash, they're only ever going to fund a project that's profitable. I fully expect Duke to turn even more into a COD clone in the future.

He who has the gold makes the rules. The king is dead, folks.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

The supplier of the money is the one with the power...

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostMajor Tom, on 23 August 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

I really hope they keep Jon St. John as the voice actor for Duke; Max Payne fans WOULD NOT STOP BITCHING when it was announced that James McAffrey wasn't playing Max for the third game.

But he is... and unlike with the first two games he's doing the motion capture for it this time too.

• The Sarien Encounter

There's no way they wouldn't get Jon St John. Why do people keep worrying about this?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options