Duke4.net Forums: Rumor: Gearbox rebooting Duke Nukem after finishing Colonial Marines - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rumor: Gearbox rebooting Duke Nukem after finishing Colonial Marines

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Why are they changing the series again? It's precisely because DNF was so different from Duke 3D that it failed. They have a working set of mechanics for Duke games, they just choose to ignore it in favour of COD/Halo stuff.

However I do have a theory. This is why Gearbox allowed Duke Nukem Reloaded to go ahead; to test the waters to see what the public's response will be to a true old-school shooter (if it comes out.) If this is true, then we better pray to god that it's successful, because it'll become the basis of all future Duke first person shooters.

I think it's a ballsy move Gearbox is giving the green light for Reloaded. But from what I'm hearing so far, the game sounds like shit. Hopefully after I play my opinion will change. I do like the atmosphere and the enigine behind it though. But so far, that's all I'm interested in at this point.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostMicky C, on 24 August 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

However I do have a theory. This is why Gearbox allowed Duke Nukem Reloaded to go ahead; to test the waters to see what the public's response will be to a true old-school shooter (if it comes out.) If this is true, then we better pray to god that it's successful, because it'll become the basis of all future Duke first person shooters.

It's a shame Duke Nukem Reloaded doesn't sound "old school" at all.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMicky C, on 24 August 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

This is why Gearbox allowed Duke Nukem Reloaded to go ahead;

I don't think that would be the case. Duke Nukem Reloaded is just a mod, probably there wasn't any intent behind it besides being briendly to the modding community.

To say the truth, I don't even see why give importance to Gearbox "allowing it". It's not like they really have power to stop a mod. Especially considering the modding community is made of people from all around the world, how on Earth is it possible to stop a project lead by a group of different people who live in Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Africa and Israel?

I know there do exist some mods which were stopped by the companies who own the games, but I feel like these situations happened because the modders actually choose to close it in fear of a powerless threat, rather than a company having the power to do so.

This post has been edited by Fox: 24 August 2011 - 05:47 AM

View PostFox, on 24 August 2011 - 05:43 AM, said:

I don't think that would be the case. Duke Nukem Reloaded is just a mod, probably there wasn't any intent behind it besides being briendly to the modding community.

To say the truth, I don't even see why give importance to Gearbox "allowing it". It's not like they really have power to stop a mod. Especially considering the modding community is made of people from all around the world, how on Earth is it possible to stop a project lead by a group of different people who live in Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Africa and Israel?

I know there do exist some mods which were stopped by the companies who own the games, but I feel like these situations happened because the modders actually choose to close it in fear of a powerless threat, rather than a company having the power to do so.

It's tricky, but I've seen many of them shut down by lawyers going after their website domains. In the last year at least three Aliens/AvP fan made mods/games for Half Life, Doom 3, and a free engine were booted off moddb. All were being developed by people in Argentina and France.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 24 August 2011 - 06:07 AM

I think they are rebooting the story. The story as it is right now is very repetitive. I mean same final boss. Same enemies. It makes sense. What matters most for me right now, are they changing too much?

User is offline   Martin 

People should just keep such projects utterly secret until they're ready for release. That way, these pathetic cease-and-desist orders would count for nothing. Once something has gotten out there onto the web, it's there forever. For example, I might have an Aliens mod that I've been working on with a few people for the past four years. We might have kept completely silent about it. We might feel it's ready for release in a couple months, at which point we will simultaneously announce and release it. What could Gearbox possibly do to hurt us in that scenario? Fuck all. It'd be out and they'd be powerless to do anything about it.

This post has been edited by Martin: 24 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMartin, on 24 August 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

People should just keep such projects utterly secret until they're ready for release. That way, these pathetic cease-and-desist orders would count for nothing. Once something has gotten out there onto the web, it's there forever. For example, I might have an Aliens mod that I've been working on with a few people for the past four years. We might have kept completely silent about it. We might feel it's ready for release in a couple months, at which point we will simultaneously announce [i]and/i] release it. What could Gearbox possibly do to hurt us in that scenario? Fuck all. It'd be out and they'd be powerless to do anything about it.

Do any of you when you post things like this, not understand the concept of suing someone for damages? It can be done, it has happened before. Just because you do it in secret and release it onto the net as virally as possible does not mean the IP holder's legal department wont find your email, get your information, and sue you to kingdom come for damages.

User is offline   Rellik 

I'm cautiously optimistic with DN:R, but since Gearbox is controlling media exposure, the DN:R team is being held back in terms of feedback.

The general definition of a mod is a addon to an existing game. DN:R is being developed with the free UDK which does not require an existing game, and all of the assets being created as far as we know do not come from an existing game and should be original. (aside from the base stuff in the UDK)
But I'm not holding my breath on that point, one of the artists could get lazy and rip content off from elsewhere. (ie the HRP)

View PostCommando Nukem, on 24 August 2011 - 08:37 AM, said:

Do any of you when you post things like this, not understand the concept of suing someone for damages? It can be done, it has happened before. Just because you do it in secret and release it onto the net as virally as possible does not mean the IP holder's legal department wont find your email, get your information, and sue you to kingdom come for damages.

There's this thing called being as completely anonymous as possible. But the problem with that it the modder wants feedback to improve things and such.

If you release it as a torrent and stay anonymous there is nothing they can do. Essentially it's like software piracy, a battle the big publishers are losing. Many mod makers use this tactic.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 24 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Anyone can be sued anywhere. That's why that can "allow" and shut down mods which, as someone else said, Reloaded is not.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 24 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 August 2011 - 10:08 AM, said:

Anyone can be sued anywhere. That's why that can "allow" and shut down mods which, as someone else said, Reloaded is not.

Could you sue me if you wanted?

It's not that easy. You must know who you are sueing. And realistically IP address is not a trusted way of finding someone. Besides people have the habit of using names of others (i.e. celebrities) in their profiles. And you won't be able to request a court order over a guy in a third world country.

And like it was mentioned before, there are tons of pirated content websites which keep running. And taking down a website hoster is a million of times easier than stopping someone of doing something.

This post has been edited by Fox: 24 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMartin, on 24 August 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

People should just keep such projects utterly secret until they're ready for release. That way, these pathetic cease-and-desist orders would count for nothing. Once something has gotten out there onto the web, it's there forever. For example, I might have an Aliens mod that I've been working on with a few people for the past four years. We might have kept completely silent about it. We might feel it's ready for release in a couple months, at which point we will simultaneously announce [i]and/i] release it. What could Gearbox possibly do to hurt us in that scenario? Fuck all. It'd be out and they'd be powerless to do anything about it.

They would threaten to sue you, but you would pull your website with a polite "Look, we are obeying the law and being good boys!". They would not be able to sue you as you obeyed the C&D order. But, in the meanwhile, the torrent and the files are out in the wild and you got your release and you got your fame before the axe fell. As has been said, once it's out there, that's it.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Of course. But people can and have been threatened with C&D's and they've all had to comply. I can't think of one instance where they stood up to the copyright owners except for maybe the MT-32 emulation project MUNT. They challenged Roland to prove their ownership of the copyright and they ended up not being able to and allowed the project to continue.

User is offline   Martin 

You don't understand the concept of private websites and private trackers. For example, you can download Hackintosh Snow Leapord and Logic Studios 9.1.3 (with all Jam Packs) from a secret website which you'll never find on Google. Obviously, that's super-illegal stuff (which is why it's very well hidden). As someone else said, I could just make a public site for my mod, release/announce it on the same day in full knowledge that I will receive a C&D. I soon as I receive the C&D, I comply with it. The problem for the entity issuing the C&D to me is that my mod is already out there. I laugh in their face, and there's fuck all they can really do.

Guest_refluX1k_*

it doesn't matter anyway. duke games from now on are going to suck, because everybody, including ex. 3dr members, don't have the edge anymore. i mean look at duke3d, it's considerably more gritty, well-designed, and humorous than dnf. dnf is horrible, it's the game that you beat once and don't want to play again. it has no staying power whatsoever like many other *new* games... halo: reach, any call of duty game, even mortal kombat 9 sucks ass. i haven't played it personally since a week after it's release when I *easily* beat it on insane difficulty. it's always been a slow downward spiral since duke3d, it just gets weaker. but luckily there are plenty of people like me who love duke3d and will take the time and effort to expand upon it. what are you going to do with dnf... make maps? woo-freakin'-hoo... duke3d was the next best thing to the best fps game of all time (imo doom is my number 1.) a good game shouldn`t HAVE to try to make itself better is what i`m really trying to say above all else.

This post has been edited by refluX1k: 24 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

User is offline   Martin 

View PostrefluX1k, on 24 August 2011 - 06:38 PM, said:

1.) a good game shouldn`t HAVE to try to make itself better is what i`m really trying to say above all else.

.. after a pretty long paragraph of all-too familiar Duke 3D/Doom love, and COD/Halo hate. This shows old age and ignorance. Duke 3D and Doom were great back in the day, and are good for a bit of nostalgia now. Try showing someone (regardless of age or demographic) Doom or Duke 3D now. It will look and feel extremely archaic. As for ignorance, why are you people always lumping COD and Halo in with each other? They're about as different as it's possible for two shooters to be. I get it, they're "new". Some of you need to get over yourselves. 1996 was a fucking long time ago. Ancient history as far as videogames are concerned. That doesn't mean you have to like everything that's new, but all this extreme negativity particularly towards new shooters makes me laugh.

Guest_refluX1k_*

that's true. it's like teeny boppers who don't know what good music is anymore. whatever happened to some good ol' acdc, april wine, budgie and deep purple. i guess i'm just a dinosaur even though i'm only 26 xD it wasn't "extreme criticism" as you call it, maybe constructive criticism. but c'mon, you have to admit, devs haven't really tried anything new for YEARS except for maybe epic with gears of war (gears of war 3 will be so awesome) and fallout 3 was pretty good too. You get the odd ones, but back in the day everthing was fresh, it's like the entertainment business, same thing over and over (Smurf movie comes to mind... oh dear God help us.) But everything is redundant as fuck now, and really, if you can't see that you should be ashamed to call yourself a gamer.

This post has been edited by refluX1k: 24 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

User is offline   Martin 

View PostrefluX1k, on 24 August 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

that`s true. it`s like teeny boppers who don`t know what good music is anymore. whatever happened to some good ol`acdc, april wine, budgie and deep purple. i guess i`m just a dinosaur even though i`m only 26 xD

Don't get me wrong, I'm only a year behind you, and sometimes catch myself wearing the rose-tinted specs. You do have to catch yourself, though. If you don't, you end up wearing them all the time and walk around looking and sounding like a total belligerent cunt. Music is the same. It's just sound, who fucking cares what sound waves different people find pleasurable? You like the sound of Brian Johnson's ruined vocal chords caterwauling in your ears, someone else might like the sound of JLS or Beyonce. Again - looking down upon such people just makes you look like a cunt. I personally hate the sound of singers like Johnson and Axl Rose. Such a nasal sound, to my ears.

This post has been edited by Martin: 24 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Guest_refluX1k_*

Right on. I should hang out in this forum more often. Finally some people on my own mental plane. I don't hate or go off on people about things I don't like though, I keep to myself. It's only an opinion after all, you have a different opinion from me but I'm not gonna call you a sofa samurai asshole who should die like so many others would (DerickVonD comes to mind xD), everything's valid. I'm really just another disappointed DNF fan who felt betrayed by the developement cycle and promises (especially the editor for DNF, I have very extensive experience with UED; after all at it's core it's still the UE2 engine) but it's all good. That's life, half bad half good, take it all or take none, suit yourself. And I agree with you on Guns 'n Roses and AC/DC, it just ain't the same.

This post has been edited by refluX1k: 24 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMad Max RW, on 24 August 2011 - 05:06 AM, said:

It's a shame Duke Nukem Reloaded doesn't sound "old school" at all.

I haven't heard much about it, what where did you hear that?

It's not 'just a mod'. Gearbox actually forked out money for the license for them to release the game, not to mention they're bothering to monitor any media that comes out. Gearbox are treating DN:R like a product, and have invested time and money into it. Considering what they've done with the console among other things, does anyone honestly believe they're doing all that just to satisfy the fans? Overall, they couldn't care less about us! haha. I still think it's at least partly an experiment to see how people react to more old school gameplay than what's currently out there today.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This is a terrible fucking idea. I can see me not buying future Duke games. This is a trainwreck in the making. I think the major failure of DNF was a lack of influence from Broussard (say what you will, the guy knows the character and he knows what makes a shit game. He just doesn't plan well.)

Also, about the suing bit. Most of the time they won't sue you. It's usually not worth the money. However, a C&D is usually enough to scare off tards.

P.S.: Reloaded sounds like shit.

View PostMicky C, on 25 August 2011 - 01:47 AM, said:

I haven't heard much about it, what where did you hear that?

From this guy

Posted Image

User is offline   You 

View PostMad Max RW, on 25 August 2011 - 06:23 AM, said:

From this guy

Posted Image

Anyone else pessimistic about the project due to that guys avatar?

He looks like a backing dancer to an early 90s electro-pop video.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I honestly laughed when I saw it.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostYou, on 25 August 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

Anyone else pessimistic about the project due to that guys avatar?
He looks like a backing dancer to an early 90s electro-pop video.

Look who's talking...
Posted Image

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostMad Max RW, on 25 August 2011 - 06:23 AM, said:

From this guy

Posted Image

Ugh. Did you see the shirt and pants he was wearing during his U.S. visit? They nearly broke my gaydar.

User is offline   Blasfemon 

So now we're dissing Fresh?

His personal clothing preferences don't interest me at all, I just hope he does a good job on DN: Reloaded :)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 25 August 2011 - 05:30 AM, said:

P.S.: Reloaded sounds like shit.

O' but why? Is it because he wants a darker and serious Duke Nukem or because he says Reloaded isn't like Duke 3D even though its called DN3D: Reloaded?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDescent, on 25 August 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

Ugh. Did you see the shirt and pants he was wearing during his U.S. visit? They nearly broke my gaydar.

Did you come?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options