Duke4.net Forums: Would you prefer that DNF had not been released? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you prefer that DNF had not been released?

User is offline   Ronin 

A lot of us waited a long time for DNF, I dont think there is one single person who can admit that it is the game they always wanted.
I liked it, as did many, its a messed up game and I like that but I am aware of its many, many flaws. At the end of the day Im glad they released this version rather than not but imagining how great it could be, was far more fun to be honest than the end result.

There is a lot of bitterness post release and I notice many fans who were initially pleased have now taken on a sour note, has the realisation kicked in? Or maybe its the thinking back on the "lies" we were told and the promises that were broken or even the way Gearbox keep keeping modding out of the picture, either way most people seem pretty pissed off, and I guess with good reason.

Is it not great that we got to finally got to play it? Frankenstiens monster that it is.= Rhetorical Question.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 19 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I'm glad they released it just to end the nightmare and move on. I'm not happy they priced it as a AAA game. Selling DNF at $50+ really bit them in the ass. People's reaction to their purchase tend to vary based on how much they spent. A helluva lotta people reacted angrily when they probably wouldn't have had DNF been sold at $20 or less.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 19 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

No I would not have been happier had Duke Nukem Forever not been released. I agree that it probably should have been priced at $20 or less though. Before it was announced that it would even finally get released I was tired of waiting and imagining and hoping. Playing around with the eDuke32 stuff was a lot more fun than that.

No. Fuck no.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Maybe I would. Duke Nukem Forever had the basis for a great game, but in the end it sucked where it could have shined.

The biggest disappointment are the maps. One of the greatest features of Duke 3D were the levels. Duke Nukem Forever on the other hand is made of complete linear and claustrophobic corridors. There is pratically no open area to explore besides some empty mountain-desert parts. Besides 60% of time is lame puzzle solving instead of fighting.

This post has been edited by Fox: 19 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm still pleased with my experience, but I've always said from the beginning it could have been better and not so disjointed. I'm glad it's out and out of the way, though. At this point I seriously doubt it would be possible to make it any better than it is after all this time. Duke was never going to move forward until DNF was released in some form. Now that it's out of the way we can forget about it and focus on a new Duke game built from scratch properly......hopefully.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Probably, yes. But not with DNF still trapped in the development hell, but officially cancelled... forever. Or a better "end" IMO: DNF is finished as a spin-off and sold with a more modest price ($20 or $25), and the development for a new game starts...

This post has been edited by LkMax: 23 August 2011 - 04:35 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostFox, on 19 August 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

Maybe I would. Duke Nukem Forever had the basis for a great game, but in the end it sucked where it could have shined.

The biggest disappointment are the maps. One of the greatest features of Duke 3D were the levels. Duke Nukem Forever on the other hand is made of complete linear and claustrophobic corridors. There is pratically no open area to explore besides some empty mountain-desert parts. Besides 60% of time is lame puzzle solving instead of fighting.

Any Duke game has potential for greatness but the only one that truely achieved greatness was Duke Nukem 3D, even now its unbreakable, its still ahead of its time (thanks to the modding community). But most of the following games are horrible at best, Zero Hour is the only one that put up a fight (before DNF) and it wasnt even a FPS.
So when you think about it, it could have been worse and it could have been better, Schrodingers cat anyone?

In the end we got a fucken weird game that I finished twice and I nearly never finish a FPS twice, maybe the nostalgia for me is really powerful or maybe its a solid game in its own right but like the son of a genius, will never impress compared to his/her father/mother, and in many ways be considered a moron as the Father/mother was so great.

Relativity.

Having said that I completly agree with you on your dissapointment in the level disign department.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Je ne regrette rien. Yes, it's not the game we wanted but if the new team really would have wanted to create that game it'd have been another ten years. They should have released this game years ago but the game didn't exist then. So, what does that leave us? Well, there were tons of mostly minor stuff they should have and could have fixed in a relatively short time but ultimately they probably wouldn't have changed much.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 19 August 2011 - 04:51 PM, said:

Je ne regrette rien. Yes, it's not the game we wanted but if the new team really would have wanted to create that game it'd have been another ten years. They should have released this game years ago but the game didn't exist then. So, what does that leave us? Well, there were tons of mostly minor stuff they should have and could have fixed in a relatively short time but ultimately they probably wouldn't have changed much.

Ill tell you where that leaves us, Gearbox can either look back to what made Duke 3D great and implement it and if possible (in this age) improve upon it, or try to reinvent Duke and make him conform even more to a new audience and completly alienate the original fans who in fairness are not going to rock their bank account, unfortunatly I fear the latter.

We have already got our ultimate (official) Duke experience and it was 15 years ago. Times have truely changed.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 19 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostRipemanewone, on 19 August 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

Any Duke game has potential for greatness but the only one that truely achieved greatness was Duke Nukem 3D, even now its unbreakable(...)

It's called nostalgia, and I tend to disagree that Duke 3D greatness is unbreakable, specially with our current technology capable of breaking technical limits in favour of creativity.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostLkMax, on 19 August 2011 - 04:58 PM, said:

It's called nostalgia, and I tend to disagree that Duke 3D greatness is unbreakable, specially with our current technology capable of breaking technical limits in favour of creativity.

Yes they could do it but why would they? We are few and modern gamers are many, the Duke 3D style of game is probably dead and has been for a long time. Its all business, desposable products and all that, why make a game that can last for 15 years when people are used to updating (and paying hefty prices for it) games every year or two?

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

No. I like the game, I know if has flaws. To me, the game was extremely worth it, and I bought the BOS edition, but people are going to keep bitching about it when it won't make a difference, the game is what is. Maybe a few years down the line somebody like Fresch will do Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded with UDK 4 or something, making fully moddable :). The more I think about it all, the more I understand, the Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded team are working without pay, and they do it because they love Duke, yet Gearbox attempts to make money. Even though it is nice of them to get Jon St. John for voice over. There is a way to prove whether Gearbox is really a low life bitch of a company. If during the end of when Duke Nukem Reloaded is about to be released, they may take it over and use it for their personal gain. Since they really didn't put any work into it, it cost them little to no money (I say little because of Jon St. John) They could literally make a fortune by buying and Unreal license and screwing the true devs over. They could probably legally get away with it too.

I don't believe that Gearbox is really a low life company, I think that under the conditions they did what they could, they had to ignore people and their expectations and such because otherwise it just wouldn't work. I'll get rated down, I'll be verbally abused and other kinds of BS, but I couldn't care less.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostSpirrwell, on 19 August 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

No. I like the game, I know if has flaws. To me, the game was extremely worth it, and I bought the BOS edition, but people are going to keep bitching about it when it won't make a difference, the game is what is. Maybe a few years down the line somebody like Fresch will do Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded with UDK 4 or something, making fully moddable :). The more I think about it all, the more I understand, the Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded team are working without pay, and they do it because they love Duke, yet Gearbox attempts to make money. Even though it is nice of them to get Jon St. John for voice over. There is a way to prove whether Gearbox is really a low life bitch of a company. If during the end of when Duke Nukem Reloaded is about to be released, they may take it over and use it for their personal gain. Since they really didn't put any work into it, it cost them little to no money (I say little because of Jon St. John) They could literally make a fortune by buying and Unreal license and screwing the true devs over. They could probably legally get away with it too.

I don't believe that Gearbox is really a low life company, I think that under the conditions they did what they could, they had to ignore people and their expectations and such because otherwise it just wouldn't work. I'll get rated down, I'll be verbally abused and other kinds of BS, but I couldn't care less.

Maybe, Gearbox may not be a lowlife company but they are a company, that only goes one way, they dont want to be anyones friend they just want your money. Glad you dont care if you are rated down, because it dont matter, its just a cowards way of having a poke at you with out saying anything. Never rated anyone down, no intention of it either its a pretty pathetic and sheep like concept. Being a wolf I dont like sheep, OMG some randon fag on the net dont like what I said sfw.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 19 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

• tile 1018

View PostRipemanewone, on 19 August 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

Maybe, Gearbox may not be a lowlife company but they are a company, that only goes one way, they dont want to be anyones friend they just want your money. Glad you dont care if you are rated down, because it dont matter, its just a cowards way of having a poke at you with out saying anything. Never rated anyone down, no intention of it either its a pretty pathetic and sheep like concept. Being a wolf I dont like sheep, OMG some randon fag on the net dont like what I said sfw.

Well I rate some people down, especially when people are insulting others or me. Anyway that's off topic. From what I've seen online in Duke Nukem Forever, is that when I kick a person's ass who's level 1 or so, they say that they hate the game, or that I cheat, or whatever. I'm going to start saying "There's a reason I'm now in the 30s on the leaderboard, although I can't think of it right now... you can put it together." It's shit like that, that pisses me off the most, hating the game because you don't know how to play is just stupid.

User is offline   Fox 

Being on level 1 doesn't mean their criticism is not valid.

And about accusing you of cheating, have you played Battlefield Bad Company 2? I have the impression the players think they are immortals, because whenever they die it can only means you are using some hacking program. And I am not even such a good player. Anyway, my point is that's it's common whenever you are playing a game online.

View PostRipemanewone, on 19 August 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

I think what Gearbox did was simply making advertisements that looked like some friendly and excited talk about how great the game was, but on truth it was merely a sales pitch. That's why a lot of people are pissed off, they fell over some charismatic salesman talk.

This post has been edited by Fox: 19 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't think the game should have been called Duke Nukem Forever. Duke Nukem Forever is supposed to be a perfect game with revolutionary gameplay and amazing replay value. While it's obvious that there is no perfect game, DNF should at the very least be a solidly good game, which the actual DNF is not. They should have called it something else.

User is offline   Fox 

Duke Nukem Fornever?

• Honored Donor

Or Duke Nukem Reach: Alien Warfare 2.

Shut up bitter children. Duke Nukem Forever was awesome. Sooo tired of these kinds of posts.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostBenjamin Foley, on 19 August 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

Shut up bitter children. Duke Nukem Forever was awesome. Sooo tired of these kinds of posts.

I have a tip for you. EIther don't read these posts or don't visit Duke Nukem forums. Because on Duke Nukem fourms you will find people posting about DNF ... and they all have different opinions about the game. Most people have higher standards when it comes to Duke Nukem games (set by DN3D) and don't like DNF very much.

User is offline   Kathy 

Given that all the delay was about making the "better" game, yes I would prefer I would never see the light of DNF. They should have released it in 1999 since I doubt it would have been worse than what we got eventually. And with no mod tools or editor DNF is just gonna pass now like it never existed. Its great destiny was taken from DNF.

Shit, why didn't they outsource it to someone like Human Head? Prey was at least a solid game.

And I don't think DNF2 will change anything. Most likely it will be just a polished version of DNF with the same attitude towards interactivity and level design.

I still don't have major complaints about the final DNF. I'm just glad they released it period after waiting for 15 damn years. However, I would've much rather preferred the 2001 build with next gen graphics to keep it up to date. That would've been the "true" DNF in my opinion.

View Postfuegerstef, on 19 August 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

I have a tip for you. EIther don't read these posts or don't visit Duke Nukem forums. Because on Duke Nukem fourms you will find people posting about DNF ... and they all have different opinions about the game. Most people have higher standards when it comes to Duke Nukem games (set by DN3D) and don't like DNF very much.

This advice has been very helpful. Thankyou.

• Honored Donor

I'm surprised there isn't a poll for this thread. Maybe a poll should be added? It'd be interesting to see the results.

• tile 1018

View Postfuegerstef, on 19 August 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

Why not suggest him to visit your home forums :). Can't wait to start cracking away at learning UDK for DNR.

Anyway, despite how many people hate DNF and bash it all day long, I'm sure that the true Duke fans that come from DN3D, would have wanted it released either way, it has great nostalgia value for all the long years, the dry years, the empty years, of waiting for what we hoped to be the greatest game in the world, while getting very little information at times. Sure after the fact people may say that they'd prefer it had never been released, but remember what is was like with the speculation, the imagination of what it could be. All that we hoped for. The best part of the whole story was the waiting, because it was always exciting to speculate, and just when we were about to give up hope, Duke would come back in a new trailer or something and blow us away.

Cheers to Duke Nukem!

User is offline   Kyphros 

View PostSpirrwell, on 20 August 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

Sure after the fact people may say that they'd prefer it had never been released, but remember what is was like with the speculation, the imagination of what it could be. All that we hoped for.

I just hoped for it to allow someone to move on and make another DN game. And that's what DNF did. So I'm happy with it.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

You know something though? Having seen all the trailers and heard all the talk and played the final product that was pieced together as a salvage operation from different pieces throughout the years I think it would have been even cooler if it was an open world game where you can explore Las Vegas and of course go on the road trip to hoover dam. I especially thought of this from seeing things like walking up to the titty city exterior from the 2001 trailer and things like that. I hope that's something along the lines of what they will make with Duke 5 along with bringing back Dr. Proton as the antagonist. You do see his building in the background in some areas in DNF after all.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 20 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostSpirrwell, on 20 August 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

Why not suggest him to visit your home forums

Because most of the people on the team don't like DNF too much. So it wouldn't be too different there for him. :)

View PostTetsuo, on 20 August 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

I hope that's something along the lines of what they will make with Duke 5 along with bringing back Dr. Proton as the antagonist. You do see his building in the background in some areas in DNF after all.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 20 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

User is offline   Graywolf 

Hell no

I think was great to get the game out, so everybody will see that excessive delaying and "when it's done" arrogance isn't enought to make the game good. Georgy Boy lost here, he screwed everything up and the failure that DNF became will be on his back forever.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options