Duke4.net Forums: Here's how to enable the sos console after the patch (This is the last time I am bothering if gearbox tries to remove it again) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Here's how to enable the sos console after the patch (This is the last time I am bothering if gearbox tries to remove it again)

As some of you already know, after the latest patch, the devlog does not have the ability to activate commands that you write in it anymore, due to Gearbox's leading staff that absolutely hates gamers in general and people that want to have fun after they buy their games...
Because of this, we can no longer enable the sos console through the methods mentioned in my previous topic.

To enable the sos console again, you need to browse to this location and find a file called user.ini
Steam\userdata\<your Steam user id number>\57940\remote\
Once you have found the user.ini file, you need to open it with notepad and scroll down to the line that says Tilde= and turn it into Tilde=| Type

It should look like this after you are done with it
Posted Image

Now close the user.ini file and start the game, enter a level and press the ~ key to use the sos console.

If your user.ini file is not located inside the 57940 folder, then search it in the other numbered folders or use the windows search to look for the user.ini until you find the one that's related to DNF.

This is the last time I make such a topic that's aimed to help people undo what Gearbox's miserable staff constantly tries to lock.
Luckily for us, they are as lazy at locking things as they are at fixing bugs and adding new features.
It's clear to me that Gearbox thinks they know better and have more authority to decide what's best for all of us.
DNF was the last game I ever bought from Gearbox and I hope some of you reading this will also think twice before paying for Gearbox's miserable services in the future.

Have fun while it lasts...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 07 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I think in the future if people want to maintain control of the in-game console they will be forced to use a cracked pre-patched version of the DNF exe. That is if they release any more patches. I have a few games where I kept several backups of the exe files exactly for this purpose.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 07 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

For me, editing the user.ini file works, however, once you load the game, all your keybinds are reset and the user.ini file is reset to normal. They seen very persistent.

User is offline   STENDEC 

I tried this myself the other night when I discovered what GBX had done. It doesn't seem to work though, because as soon as you modify the user.ini file in any way, the game resets the file to default as soon as it boots. And from what I've heard, if you set the user.ini file to read only, the game crashes on boot. Seems the f*cktards at GBX thought of this approach too.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Screw Gearbox and 2k. Never again. I've learned my lesson.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Honestly, I am going to say what I have been railing against for a long time now.

Fuck Randy Pitchford. Nigga can go choke on an AIDS dick.

User is offline   Ahcruna 

Hey there.

Just dropped in to say that Mr.Deviance's way of accessing the SOS console does work.
I started messing around with it too when I heard in the GBX forums that they messed up the console with the latest patch.
You can also get SET commands to work if you bind the commands in the user.ini (they are disabled from the console itself)

A way that made it work 100% of the time without the game resetting the file was to:

1. First run the game once in Online mode and quit.
2. Go offline and then change bindings in the User.ini file.
3. Start the game once while in offline mode then quit.
4. Switch to online mode again and start the game.

There might be some other way, but doing it this way the game didn't replace my User.ini at any point.

One thing though, make sure you don't type in gibrish or spell the commands wrong since doing so will reset the file or even crash the game.

Examples

F2=ShowControls | Type
F5=set dngame.playerpawn vehiclepov vpov_firstperson

[EDIT]

Also don't touch anything else in that folder (unless you have a backup)
If you managed to get the game not to reset the User.ini, but you keep getting crash on startup, try deleting the system.ini.

Do all this at your own risk though.

This post has been edited by Ahcruna: 08 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

User is offline   Graywolf 

Mr. Deviance is right

DNF do not deserve all the work and trouble.

I finished the game 3 times, I'm done with it and I won't pay for any SP DLC until I heard that an a map editor will be someday released.

User is offline   STENDEC 

View PostAhcruna, on 08 August 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

Hey there.

Just dropped in to say that Mr.Deviance's way of accessing the SOS console does work.
I started messing around with it too when I heard in the GBX forums that they messed up the console with the latest patch.
You can also get SET commands to work if you bind the commands in the user.ini (they are disabled from the console itself)

A way that made it work 100% of the time without the game resetting the file was to:

1. First run the game once in Online mode and quit.
2. Go offline and then change bindings in the User.ini file.
3. Start the game once while in offline mode then quit.
4. Switch to online mode again and start the game.

There might be some other way, but doing it this way the game didn't replace my User.ini at any point.

One thing though, make sure you don't type in gibrish or spell the commands wrong since doing so will reset the file or even crash the game.

Examples

[EDIT]

Also don't touch anything else in that folder (unless you have a backup)
If you managed to get the game not to reset the User.ini, but you keep getting crash on startup, try deleting the system.ini.

Do all this at your own risk though.

Sweet :). It works! PC Gamers 2, Gearbox 0. I bet you the next patch will enforce online play, so you won't be able to start Duke offline and beat the user.ini reset thing.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostSTENDEC, on 09 August 2011 - 01:10 AM, said:

Sweet :). It works! PC Gamers 2, Gearbox 0. I bet you the next patch will enforce online play, so you won't be able to start Duke offline and beat the user.ini reset thing.

Unlikely. If they do happen to create another patch to remove the console, which I still happen to have even after the patch, it would probably be even more nasty, that is assuming that Mr. Deviance's assumption is right about Gearbox not wanting the console, which is a high probability.

View PostDescent, on 07 August 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

Honestly, I am going to say what I have been railing against for a long time now.

Fuck Randy Pitchford.

Ah finally relealised the truth about Pitchfork? I told you months ago :)

About the topic: Yeah, it's kinda obvious that Gearbox doesn't really care about the developer console or other aspects we wanted fixed. Instead they released something half fixed after such a long waiting time ;)

User is offline   Jeff 

We should build our own version of DNF with a console, editor and all that stuff.

View PostJeff, on 12 August 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

We should build our own version of DNF with a console, editor and all that stuff.

And we should totally modernize it by slowing the gameplay down even more, add stealth sections, steal concept art, create a massive team of nobodies with one has-been developer who worked for a week at a real studio, load it up with more quicktime events, promise and delay a multiplayer version every 6 months, and sell out to Gearbox and never release anything.

User is offline   Jeff 

What about Polymer? Could that one day be made to look like DNF? Or are there limitations to it?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostJeff, on 12 August 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

What about Polymer? Could that one day be made to look like DNF? Or are there limitations to it?

You need one of these, methinks
[attachment=3288:sarcasm_detector.jpg]

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostJeff, on 12 August 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

An honest answer; the polymer renderer is modern, albeit incomplete. The problem is not whether polymer will be able to look like DNF, it's to do with the map editor. Because Build is sector based, and not brush based, it can never have the level of detail or complexity of modern engines. This is in part due to wall and sprite limits, because as DanM has shown in Duke Nukem Eternity, Duke can look like a modern engine. Lighting would be able to look much better too after polymer is optimized (come back after that happens and look at the polymer version of Project Zero.)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Actually, if there was proper collision detection for models you could pretty much build maps that didn't look too different from something brush-based, but I'd say that's far off because it's not optimized enough to even run too well with a lot of models on screen unless you have a powerful computer. Also 'building' 'your own' DNF is a silly concept.

• Honored Donor

Actually, because polymer apparently 'caches' the models or something along those lines, it doesn't affect performance at all whether the level is littered with geometry or sprites, so you could probably have a lot of models. True collision detection would be nice, but I've read that the engine doesn't even know what a model is let alone be able to provide clipping for it. (Talking about engine, not renderer).

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 12 August 2011 - 08:55 PM, said:

True collision detection would be nice, but I've read that the engine doesn't even know what a model is let alone be able to provide clipping for it. (Talking about engine, not renderer).

This is exactly right. The closest thing is Helix's sector collision for sprites.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 12 August 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

Actually, if there was proper collision detection for models you could pretty much build maps that didn't look too different from something brush-based, but I'd say that's far off because it's not optimized enough to even run too well with a lot of models on screen unless you have a powerful computer. Also 'building' 'your own' DNF is a silly concept.

View PostHendricks266, on 12 August 2011 - 09:55 PM, said:

This is exactly right. The closest thing is Helix's sector collision for sprites.

Wasn't that proper model collision detection? I was wondering what happened with that.

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 August 2011 - 01:27 PM, said:

Wasn't that proper model collision detection? I was wondering what happened with that.

It's still in, working, and useful, but it's not proper collision detection. How it works is that you make a seperate map file (called clipshape##.map) where you make sectors that are in the same shape as the model. The game then draws imaginary invisible sectors (kind of) wherever the sprite is placed, so that it appears that the sprite/model has proper clipping. But it's not the sprite that the clipping is based on, it's the sectors that you made in the shape of the sprite that causes the 'collision detection'.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, it's a ghettofied form of collision detection. In proper form the engine should just 'know' the shape of the model.

I saw someone mention Duke 3D: Reloaded. Does anyone think that will be the next DNF...all the hype but nothing good in the end?

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Maybe, if it's ever released.... :)

The lead guy (fresch) doesn't seem to have a decent grasp of what makes Duke Nukem 3D fun. I mean, he's adding stealth to the game. Duke doesn't need stealth. Duke was never about stealth. Plus his glowingly positive and unrealistic DNF review doesn't give me any more confidence in the project and his design tastes. Maybe the demo will blow me away whenever Gearbox decides to let them reveal it. Until then, meh.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMad Max RW, on 17 August 2011 - 09:01 AM, said:

The lead guy (fresch) doesn't seem to have a decent grasp of what makes Duke Nukem 3D fun. I mean, he's adding stealth to the game.

Aren's they become overambitious? Because, as I remember, they just wanted to reskin Duke3d in UT3 engine, but making gameplay changes? That is strange indeed. Because visually next-gen Duke3d is all that is needed. You shouldn't change gameplay in any way judging by reaction towards DNF.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHelel, on 17 August 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

Aren's they become overambitious? Because, as I remember, they just wanted to reskin Duke3d in UT3 engine, but making gameplay changes? That is strange indeed. Because visually next-gen Duke3d is all that is needed. You shouldn't change gameplay in any way judging by reaction towards DNF.

Mad Max RW is correct. Posted Image
But as fresch kindly pointed out, since Gearbox gave a 100% gag order on this project, no one knows anything. So Reloaded may have a console feature, unlike DNF, maybe, sort of. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 17 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

I don't mind it being dark and gritty ala Dark Knight, but the stealth and vehicle features seems like it's tarnishing Duke 3D's epicness with..well...shit.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Vehicles? I guess they are planning on expanding the levels quite a bit and foregoing authenticity in the process more so than other improvements like graphical ones would suggest.

Also look at this quote:

Even though we can't release our media package just yet,
you can take a look at the Samaritan Demo from Epic. The mood, the setting and the Graphical features are the same.

Color me skeptical.... sure the latest UDK has some of the same features that where debuted in the samaritan demo but I'll have to see it to believe it that the graphics there are at the same level as it.... and if they are are they playable on rigs less than the monster they used to run that demo? :)

BTW you know what I'm reminded of when they say they are going to release a multiplayer beta? Transfusion mod... those guys released a multiplayer beta and the project petered out since then. The reason was something like it's such a leap from a multiplayer beta to a full single player product that it was like they bit off more than they can chew... and they where even doing a simpler game comparatively speaking.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 17 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

Devience, you will try to fix it if they nerf your latest solution whether you like it or not, your that type.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 20 August 2011 - 04:55 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options