Duke4.net Forums: Actor AI and enviroment - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Actor AI and enviroment

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

He's saying that there is a scriptable event, called EVENT_GAME, and using it would be convenient for doing what you want:

http://wiki.eduke32....wiki/EVENT_GAME

Do you want to make it an "event"? Like if you are too close to the gate. it is just over and you die not matter what. Or do you want it to be like it just pulls you slowly, but you can still manage to run the other direction, just slower because the gate pulls you the other way.

User is offline   Hank 

@ DeeperThought Yes, and that is big news for me. Let me explain my excitement.
I only ever used Duke 3D version 1.3 for the .con . There you could not even add a new actor, but had to replace an existing one to make a new one. In addition, Eduke, not EDuke32, was, for me, hard to understand. I did not follow it. Now, fast forward, not only can I add new actors but entire elements to the game, compared that to Duke 1.3 this is light-years of progress, I had no idea about. Hope this helps. Posted Image

added

View Postrasmus thorup, on 08 August 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

Do you want to make it an "event"? Like if you are too close to the gate. it is just over and you die not matter what. Or do you want it to be like it just pulls you slowly, but you can still manage to run the other direction, just slower because the gate pulls you the other way.

The latter. I want gravity effects for both actors and players, not necessarily 100% realistic, I never been to space, just something you see in the movies. Cheers Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 08 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postrasmus thorup, on 08 August 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

Do you want to make it an "event"?

What? Events in EDuke32 are technical structures used to contain code that could not be done alone in actors. EVENT_GAME and events in general have nothing to do with one-time pre-scripted sequences ("events" you could call them) you'd commonly find in a modern FPS. The fact that the structure is called "event" may have been a bad decision on Matt's part, or whoever designed them.

Take a look at DT's link above. EVENT_GAME simply executes code once every game tic for every sprite currently in the map. Its most common use is to add code to sprites that are hardcoded and therefore do not have actor definitions in the CONs. It can also be used to execute code in all sprites, hence what I said in my previous post. Finally, since multiple definitions of events can coexist in con files, it can also be used to add additional, supplementary code to an actor (with or without a CON definition) from a mutator.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 08 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

Well, are more than just for eduke coding. You know what i mean? What i am talking about is if he want's it to be controllable after he goes too close to the gate. I call that an event. And i think it's pretty important to know before you start coding.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 08 August 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

The fact that the structure is called "event" may have been a bad decision on Matt's part, or whoever designed them.

Nah, I think it fits well with the way that programmers use the term 'event'. It also fits with the way that non-programmers use the term. An "event" is something that happens, and the event code is for handling things that happen...

EDIT @ rasmus thorup: I wasn't confused and I wasn't trying to help you or Hank, I was replying to Hendricks266

I don't understand the confusion here? The word event fits fine with eduke coding. I was using the word event for other use. Let's just stop thinking about it here, won't help hank.

User is offline   Hank 

@ rasmus thorup
Everything helps! I just wrote, I only did Duke 1.3 coding. So both Hendricks266 and DeeperThought are giving me beginner's advice.
As for the gate, that problem I will solve when I'm fluent with gravity, no point getting into the meat when the bones are missing. Cheers. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 09 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options