Duke4.net Forums: The Smart Phone Thread - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Smart Phone Thread

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I just got a Motorola Atrix. Sexiest phone ever. Just got done watching Top Gear UK on a 55" TV at 720p...OFF A FUCKING PHONE!

Dual Core nVidia Tegra 2, 1GB RAM, 16GB memory (upgradeable to 48), and 4G compatible. 4" 960x640 display. It'll have Android 2.3 later this month.

Don't even get me on the sheer speed thing phone has. Or the stellar build quality. Unfortunately the pentile matrix screen sucks at times, hopefully I get used to it.

It's a HUGE step up from my overcloced HTC Aria.

So what do you all have?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Some shitty Motorola that was free from Verizon. I think phones are a waste of time, I don't have texting or anything fancy. I don't even want it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I have an iPhone 4. Typical huh...

Remember when people were talking with mobile phones the size of suit cases? They never would have expected us to be watching movies, playing graphically intense 3D games, and taking and sending photos over the internet though them.

User is offline   Jeff 

I just have a regular cell phone. Nothing fancy. I only use it for emergencies.

View PostMicky C, on 20 July 2011 - 09:37 PM, said:

I have an iPhone 4. Typical huh...

Remember when people were talking with mobile phones the size of suit cases? They never would have expected us to be watching movies, playing graphically intense 3D games, and taking and sending photos over the internet though them.

Hahaha, back in '96 we bought this Volvo 740 wagon that came with a giant carphone, this thing dwarfed Rosie O'Donnel's FUPA. We removed it and I had it as a toy. The mounting bracket was still stuck in the footwell and it bashed our knees for six years.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 20 July 2011 - 09:08 PM, said:

Some shitty Motorola that was free from Verizon. I think phones are a waste of time, I don't have texting or anything fancy. I don't even want it.

You should get an Android phone. They are hella fun.

Did I mention I can record 720p videos? And that the next update will give us 1080p recording?

This post has been edited by Descent: 22 July 2011 - 03:12 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm unemployed and I'd rather spend what little money I have on coke and hookers.

• Honored Donor

Does anyone here have a windows phone? A heard they were really good. Because the OS can run on any phone, some of the phones can be really fast. A friend showed his to me once, and it was able to get the weather much, much faster than my iPhone. I don't how how it compares against Android though.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostDescent, on 20 July 2011 - 07:20 PM, said:

I just got a Motorola Atrix. Sexiest phone ever. Just got done watching Top Gear UK on a 55" TV at 720p...OFF A FUCKING PHONE!

Nice, have you ever used WebTop or just the multimedia dock function?

The dock is an epic waste of money. It's slow and gimmicky.

View PostMicky C, on 20 July 2011 - 11:26 PM, said:

Does anyone here have a windows phone? A heard they were really good. Because the OS can run on any phone, some of the phones can be really fast. A friend showed his to me once, and it was able to get the weather much, much faster than my iPhone. I don't how how it compares against Android though.

Windows Mobile sucks. 7 is a big improvement over 6 but it still has teething issues. You can only cut and paste and multitask with approved first party apps. The app store is way behind Apple and Google and the OS isn't as advanced.

It does, however, have GPU acceleration for the GUI, unlike Android. Even on a dual core 1GHz Atrix Android's GUI isn't perfectly smooth.

Android's software selection is so much better it's not even funny. I doubt WinMo will ever catch up. They just got angry birds last month for fucks sake...

This post has been edited by Descent: 21 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

I have a Android phone the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini(Regular, not Pro). I don't regret my purchase other than that I wish it had a bigger screen and newer Android version but that will be for the next phone.

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 21 July 2011 - 11:23 AM, said:

I have a Android phone the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini(Regular, not Pro). I don't regret my purchase other than that I wish it had a bigger screen and newer Android version but that will be for the next phone.

My brother has the same phone.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostDescent, on 21 July 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

The dock is an epic waste of money. It's slow and gimmicky.

I wouldn't call the possibility of a full Ubuntu desktop running off your phone gimmicky, but sure, whether Angry Birds is available totally determines the quality of a platform ;-)

• Honored Donor

It's one of the most famous iPhone games ever. Personally I've tried out the demo and I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I'm not a huge Angry Birds fan either, but let's be honest here. The fact that Google Chrome had an Angry Birds plugin before Windows Phone 7 says a lot about how much developers are supporting that platform. When Rovio doesn't give a shit, you're in trouble. They'd port their games to their own nutsacks given the chance.

Windows Phone 7 lacks OpenGL ES. Fact. OpenGL ES is the standard for everything mobile from the 3DS to the PSP to iOS to Android to WebOS. Fact. WP7 is an also ran OS with poor marketshare. Fact. WP7 does not allow third party apps to multitask or cut and paste. Fact. WP7 still does not support dual core phones, and probably won't by September, when Apple's new superphone comes out. Fact. WP7 only supports Qualcomm based devices, who tend to be late to market and slower than their rivals. Fact. WP7 was over a year late to market and as a result allowed Android to become the number one smartphone platform in the world. Fact.

You'd have to be high to give Microsoft your cash right now, let alone develop for them. You'd have to rewrite all your code, INCLUDING rendering, for an OS with piss poor marketshare.

This post has been edited by Descent: 22 July 2011 - 03:27 AM

• Honored Donor

What apple superphone?

Apple is coming out with a new phone in September. Unconfirmed date but everyone seems to be mentioning that month.

It will have a dual core processor. Is it confirmed? Hell no. But the iPhone has always been very competitive on the CPU/GPU side of things and there is no reason in the world Apple would ship it without one. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

This post has been edited by Descent: 23 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I have my eye on the Droid Bionic currently. I was really interested in the Droid 3 due to its 5 row physical keyboard but the measly 512 megs RAM killed it for me. I mean, c'mon, an iPhone 4 from a year ago has that!

I would probably be interested in the iPhone 5 or whatever they end up calling the new one, but the changes they made under the hood to make over the air OS upgrades possible introduces extra code signing that sounds like it's going to fuck up the whole jailbreaking thing pretty badly. I am definitely NOT interested in a phone that I can't do whatever I want with in one way or another.

• Honored Donor

A friend told me that he jailbroke his iphone and installed an iOS 5 beta. I didn't ask whether iOS 5 itself is jailbroken.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options