Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D Online - What Do You Think About It? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D Online - What Do You Think About It?

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostHendricks266, on 13 July 2011 - 04:40 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that's been debunked. http://www.cracked.c...ndergarten.html

Actually, no. The right brain is more aesthetically oriented, and works more on making insights, facial recognition, etc. The left brain focuses on logic, reason, rationality, etc. A right brain might help you with game design, but other than that it'd be virtually useless.

User is offline   Paul B 

The problem with EDuke multi-player whether using YANG or not is the out of sync problems the game experiences. Has nothing to do with how the game loads or what ports are forwarded. Until they fix the sync bugs there will be no duke multiplayer. Which is really too bad because that's what makes the game so much fun. Coop and Death matches! Bring 'em back please! =)

User is offline   Kyanos 

I love playing XDuke on-line (sorry EDuke32 but no one plays it much, and when there is it's 1 game on YANG it's a TC or MOD coop usually private) But when this finally gets fully functional with EDuke I envision a DM map based on DukePlus with the Duke Bike oh yeah!
Funny story though. It was the 24/7 XDuke/YANG community that sent me to EDuke32. EVERYONE knows this is by far the better port. Single player - EDuke32 hands down. Those guys all use mapster32 to make some awesome DM maps (only available by playing YANG). Here is my initial attempt at mapping. Fell free to hack away at this I've moved on.
Attached File  Drek's_1st_map_BETA.rar (4.64K)
Number of downloads: 173
PS. I played a full 8 player game on this map that lasted a half hour. Most rewarding thing I've ever done with my computer.

This post has been edited by Drek: 28 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't think this is quite the right place to post your first attempt at a map, especially without giving any information about it.

View PostPaul B, on 27 July 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

The problem with EDuke multi-player whether using YANG or not is the out of sync problems the game experiences. Has nothing to do with how the game loads or what ports are forwarded. Until they fix the sync bugs there will be no duke multiplayer. Which is really too bad because that's what makes the game so much fun. Coop and Death matches! Bring 'em back please! =)

The thing is the new EDuke32 netcode blows xDuke out of the water, because it supports in-game joining, and it NEVER goes out of sync!
The problem is that the code is really only half finished and buggy. Of course when it's finished it'd be awesome. I know has been busy lately and that's understandable, but I hope that in the future some time will free up and things will go back to usual.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It will only blow xDuke out of the water when it works reliably.

User is offline   TheCycoONE 

View PostTea Monster, on 28 July 2011 - 05:31 AM, said:

It will only blow xDuke out of the water when it works reliably.

Agreed, in the mean time it really needs to be an eduke32 expert (i.e. TX) writing the net code, not a general networking expert. I think with enet etc. the message is being reliably sent between servers. I tried hacking in 32 <--> 64bit support months ago but I couldn't tell if what I was doing was working because even 32 <--> 32 is very unstable and the code is closely tied to the data structures used by the engine. I suggested at the time decoupling the network message from the data structures, but in retrospect that would just move the problem not solve it.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMicky C, on 28 July 2011 - 04:30 AM, said:

I don't think this is quite the right place to post your first attempt at a map,

It's nothing really worth posting, but what's done is done.

View PostMicky C, on 28 July 2011 - 04:30 AM, said:

especially without giving any information about it.

It's just a basic Indoor / Outdoor DM map 8-bit Classic (Made with XDuke in mind) I made this while hacking my way through learning Mapster. You know a door here, a tunnel there, an elevator... I did go back one day and shade it all and align the textures. It plays good, just has that DM flow. almost all the walls got made into circles (it was one of the first things I learned how to do :( )

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I'm attempting to divert Helixhorned's free time into improving the networking with me soon. I have a whole plan of how to fix it so that it's not a buggy pile of shit, it's just hard for me to get anything done when I can't stay up all night working on stuff like I used to be able to do. I feel like the only free time I have is just enough to whine about how I have no free time. Ugh! :(

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That's ok TX, it's not like you'd rather change diapers than work on eduke. On the plus side, it's nice to know that the networking code is fixable. The Commander and other people working on TCs with multiplayer components can rest easy :(

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Families are a lot of work. I remember those days. My kids are 3 and 4 now so it's not as bad but they still require attention. Do what you need to do, TX. It's only a silly game port. Hopefully Helixhorned can get the work done in your stead. :(

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

• el fundador

View PostMicky C, on 29 July 2011 - 09:18 PM, said:

That's ok TX, it's not like you'd rather change diapers than work on eduke. On the plus side, it's nice to know that the networking code is fixable. The Commander and other people working on TCs with multiplayer components can rest easy :(

Hey, of course it's fixable. It's not in some state where it has to be completely dumped and started over from scratch again or anything, but it is in a state where a lot of the code is test and proof of concept stuff that needs a lot of reworking to be "done."

Anyway, Helixhorned is really talented and I'm pretty confident he could pull off a lot of the crap needed in a day or so. It might not seem like it but the networking is actually in a pretty good place in terms of functional completion; the stuff that needs to be done to fix it is theoretically a lot less work than what has been done so far, so that's good.

User is offline   HellFire 

Thanks for dedicating your precious time with this man. I think that could give duke online some life, since as it is now it is pretty much dead (comes from someone who plays duke online for years). In game joining will be really cool, but i was wondering, at some point, will we have stuff like:
- a server list, like zdaemon?
- spectator mode;
- ability to create dedicated servers, not only one but as much as i want (i know there will be limits, im talking about lower number like 10 or so), with rcon, ability to set maplists, etc;
Basically, at some point, will it have great features like zdaemon? I know that comparing doom stuff with duke can be annoying, doom is much simpler to mess with, but i used to play doom online as well, and zdaemon from my point of view was just "perfect" (if thats even possible).

• el fundador

Yeah, all of the stuff like that is planned for sure. It obviously won't happen overnight or anything but once the actual gameplay stuff is more or less complete the extras should be really easy to add.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Righteous. I've been trying to get online for years, but my ISP doesn't really allow for port-forwarding and all that kinda stuff so it never works.

EDIT: Also, I wonder, would the CON limitations for Multiplayer still be present or would they change?

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 30 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 30 July 2011 - 09:47 AM, said:

but my ISP doesn't really allow for port-forwarding and all that kinda stuff so it never works.

As long as you have a configurable router it should definitely be possible, it doesn't matter if you have a static or dynamic IP address, as long as you set your internal IP address. All you need is your ISP DNS adress.

EDIT: Also, I wonder, would the CON limitations for Multiplayer still be present or would they change?

If you are meaning that everyone needs to have the same CON files then this is not the case. All clients will read from the server, I have tested this by changing the health from 100 to 200 and all players started with this amount. Of course there are still some things you need to watch out for.

• el fundador

Actually, you really do need the same CON files or else the client will predict everything wrong. :( In the future, the CONs will be sent across the network at connection time.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostThe Commander, on 30 July 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

As long as you have a configurable router it should definitely be possible, it doesn't matter if you have a static or dynamic IP address, as long as you set your internal IP address. All you need is your ISP DNS adress.

If you are meaning that everyone needs to have the same CON files then this is not the case. All clients will read from the server, I have tested this by changing the health from 100 to 200 and all players started with this amount. Of course there are still some things you need to watch out for.

I've tried and tried and tried again and again. It refuses to work. Over the times I've tried I've had three different routers. I've even had very experienced people walk me through the process. It just won't work. I can't even use torrents too often because I just can't connect to anyone.

I meant actually, the actual limitations of what you can put in your code. I know a lot of stuff, especially in certain EVENT structures, will cause the game to go out of sync.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Righteous. I've been trying to get online for years, but my ISP doesn't really allow for port-forwarding and all that kinda stuff so it never works.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 30 July 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

I've tried and tried and tried again and again. It refuses to work. Over the times I've tried I've had three different routers. I've even had very experienced people walk me through the process. It just won't work. I can't even use torrents too often because I just can't connect to anyone.

After I told you to put your DSL modem in bridge mode and just use the wireless access point as a router, your ports opened up just fine. The problem is that your ISP, CenturyLink, is a piece of shit, and you were pinging 400ms, which is abysmal. That's because they use some packet redundancy and other slow things because of a risk of dropped packets. That could be fixed by asking to be put on "FastPath", which removes the safeguards in exchange for a (much) better ping time. However, you couldn't enable that feature.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 30 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Actually, I guess you're right, but it's still offered no improvement for anything. :( Moral of the story: CenturyLink is shit.

• el fundador

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 31 July 2011 - 10:14 AM, said:

Actually, I guess you're right, but it's still offered no improvement for anything. :( Moral of the story: CenturyLink is shit.

Oh my god, yes, yes it is. I moved to the middle of nowhere almost a year ago and have had to deal with this CenturyLink horse shit ever since and I can safely say that in 15 years of using the Internet, CenturyLink is the WORST ISP I have ever had the complete and utter misfortune of having to use. If I had an alternative here, ANY alternative, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. I fucking hate CenturyLink with every iota of my being at this point.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I got my ISP to turn off interleaving quite some time ago, it lowered my ping from e.g.

Before: NZ - Aus 100 average
Before: NZ - Aus 50-90 average

So I concluded that interleaving off really does improve online game play.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTX, on 31 July 2011 - 10:45 AM, said:

Oh my god, yes, yes it is. I moved to the middle of nowhere almost a year ago and have had to deal with this CenturyLink horse shit ever since and I can safely say that in 15 years of using the Internet, CenturyLink is the WORST ISP I have ever had the complete and utter misfortune of having to use. If I had an alternative here, ANY alternative, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. I fucking hate CenturyLink with every iota of my being at this point.

I'm glad you share my woe. Most people I've talked to about it just think I'm talking BS, but it's horrible. Worst part is, we've had this ISP for ~11 years, and in that time it's been bought out and name changed 3 times (Sprint->Embarq->CenturyLink). Each time it's gotten worse and worse. It really sucks that it's either this or satellite internet (deplorable.)

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 31 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

• el fundador

Yep, same situation here. I wish they would run some cable out here but it's probably not happening within the next 20 years. Everything is slow as fuck here all the time as well since they have a monopoly and have completely oversold the entire link between this town and wherever the other end point is. There are times when the max achievable rates drop to below 512 kbit. I have yet to meet anyone satisfied with their service.

By the way guys, I've finished the book I was reading (Masters of Doom) and have been fiddling with the networking code yesterday and today. Who knows if it'll give way to any decent developments or not, but reading about the creation of Wolfenstein 3-D and Doom has reminded me of how much fun I used to have working on this stuff.

• Weaponized Autism

Cracked.com - 5 Ways Your Telecom Company is Screwing You

I could link to Cracked all day.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 31 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTX, on 30 July 2011 - 11:51 AM, said:

In the future, the CONs will be sent across the network at connection time.

Posted Image

User is offline   Juras 

Works on eduke client/server lasts longer than I thought but yea I still count on you TX!
I'm pretty active player, currently attracted to the Meltdown and hduke but before I used to play on DukesterX and Yang with xduke port.
For my view Eduke never was good for online playing, oldschoolers always stayed away from this port but Im almost sure that fixed client/server netcode could bring more life to Duke.
I already see in my imagination 2v2 games on episode maps with enough good ping to not complain on the lag.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

TX - Family always comes first, but yeah, we would all look forward to this, if you could fit it in.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTea Monster, on 29 August 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

TX - Family always comes first, but yeah, we would all look forward to this, if you could fit it in.

But what about his Duke4 family? :(

User is offline   Paul B 

TX - we're counting on you buddy. Looking forward to stable online multi-player! Gosh it will breathe new life into this game for sure.
If you have any updates or if there is anything we can do to assist in making this happen faster let us know.

Your time and effort is always appreciated,
Thanks,
Paul

This post has been edited by Paul B: 22 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Can't they just make a Duke 3D sever that doesn't require Yang or Metldown.
That would attract alot of people.
Meltdown has alot of people but they don't do anything just idle.
Yang is only two private severs and one that isn't and disconnects once you join.
:(

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options