Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D Online - What Do You Think About It? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D Online - What Do You Think About It?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Title says it all. Lately I've gotten around to installing YANG and checking out how Duke3D is online. It was quite difficult at first, but I eventually got the hang of it and am now able to be beat many good players. I ask this because I sometimes wonder how much time (if any) the biggest modding forum for Duke spends playing the funnest mode for Duke evar. Have you tried it? Do you enjoy it? Are you an active player? What do you guys think about the everyday players (like Fran, Zilla, etc. that are online 24/7)?

I also ask because I wonder about the current status of EDuke32. XDuke is the most commonly used port online, and I've seen the mention of the fact XDuke is preferred over EDuke32 cause a bit of a strife. I've heard that the netcode for EDuke32 will one day be adjusted/rewritten to be awesome online, and even better than XDuke. The more I spend duking out online, the more I can't ever imagine the everyday players switching to EDuke32. Its arguable whether certain features like in-game joining will really be beneficial. Not to mention with all the builds that are uploaded every day, it would be impossible to keep up with them. It would probably have to be organized in a way where all the builds are compatible with each other, or a specific build set aside for online use.

So, what are you're thoughts on online duking? Do you like it? Will EDuke32 ever become the online standard too?

I'm very interested in Duking it out online but how popular is it? Is it the kind of thing where you can log on and get some action pretty regularly or is the wait long?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I managed to get online with eduke32 once a few years ago; it was awesome! I owned the other two guys on Stadium. The only other time I was online was with xduke, and I myself was owned like 30 to -2 (I killed myself twice). That was because the colours were completely messed up and I could hardly see a thing let alone moving objects, in addition to that the mouse control and movement felt a bit different.

@Radar1013, did you notice any difference in controls?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostWarp Factor, on 08 July 2011 - 03:45 PM, said:

I'm very interested in Duking it out online but how popular is it? Is it the kind of thing where you can log on and get some action pretty regularly or is the wait long?

It's not too popular. Most of the time there may be about 4 players online (which is enough), but you might have some trouble finding a room that hasn't started or still allows more people in. And sometimes if you have too many people you won't be able to start... It honestly all just depends. Try it, and then you will know for sure. :)

View PostMicky C, on 08 July 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

I managed to get online with eduke32 once a few years ago; it was awesome! I owned the other two guys on Stadium. The only other time I was online was with xduke, and I myself was owned like 30 to -2 (I killed myself twice). That was because the colours were completely messed up and I could hardly see a thing let alone moving objects, in addition to that the mouse control and movement felt a bit different.

I remember firing up xduke a few years back and it wouldn't even detect my keyboard. :) Though xduke is a lot more stable today.

I do notice a change in mouse and keyboard movement whenever switching from xduke back to eduke32. A difference is definitely there, but it's extremely hard to pin point exactly what it is... Try it and you'll know. :P I'd love to hit you guys up on YANG one day.

Is there a way, in xduke, to get W and S to move forward and back? I know it sounds like a stupid question but I cleared the bindings for W and S, then changed move forward/move back to W and S and it won't move me... A and D work for strafing left/right though.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostWarp Factor, on 09 July 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

Is there a way, in xduke, to get W and S to move forward and back? I know it sounds like a stupid question but I cleared the bindings for W and S, then changed move forward/move back to W and S and it won't move me... A and D work for strafing left/right though.

Yes. The problem is that the standard controls in XDuke are like the ones in the original game... That means controls like "hide weapon"are assigned to "w", etc. You have to change all those other controls before it will work. :)

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostMicky C, on 08 July 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

Actually, a couple different color fixes for Windows Vista\7 have been put on the YANG site, you should be able to get at least one of them to work.

As for Duke3D online, I like it, I like to play, I own people some days, and some days people own me. I'd definitely use it a lot more if eduke32 was more stable online. Server\client seems to crash a lot of the time, and if you're using the newer versions, it's VERY buggy. I felt like I had put on beer goggles, the jumping was way, you could see someone in front of you even if there wasn't, and etc. The hardest part for me using YANG was forwarding ports. Even though I forwarded them they wouldn't work. I spent four or so years trying to figure that out with DukesterX, until I found out that my ISP didn't support it for dynamic IP address users. X_X Now it's very easy since I switched over to a static IP.

I really wish I could help the guys working on eduke32 by working on the server\client code, but the Internet's never been easy in programming for me. Well... there ends my rant.

One of the main goals of my project Bubblegum is to handle a lot of the multiplayer stuff

Best thing would be a launcher called something like dukeonline32 or whatever xD I think that it's far better than using the usual eduke32 with commands like -server, because that confuses a lot. A simple launcher.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I think the last time I played a Dukematch was over a LAN and that was at least 5 or so years ago. Before that was online with XDuke and that was 2004! When it was announced that EDuke had multiplayer, I tried it out, but it was horrifically unstable. I've not bothered since. I remember it being a blast, and there were some killer DM maps around, but its a memory that is dimming more and more with age.

• tile 1018

View Postrasmus thorup, on 09 July 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

Best thing would be a launcher called something like dukeonline32 or whatever xD I think that it's far better than using the usual eduke32 with commands like -server, because that confuses a lot. A simple launcher.

Actually, that's a good idea, but I've been a fan of in-game browsing.

Hmm. I have a Linux virtual server with more bandwidth and CPU/RAM than I can utilize at the moment, so I would like to run a dedicated server for DN3D but is there a way to do that with xduke?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostWarp Factor, on 09 July 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

Hmm. I have a Linux virtual server with more bandwidth and CPU/RAM than I can utilize at the moment, so I would like to run a dedicated server for DN3D but is there a way to do that with xduke?

No, thats what the new EDuke32 server/client code will be used for.

View PostThe Commander, on 09 July 2011 - 09:09 PM, said:

No, thats what the new EDuke32 server/client code will be used for.

So the EDuke32 server is in development... will this release sooner or later or undetermined or on DNF time (ha ha)? I'd be totally interested in putting one of these up when it comes out.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's out right now, in all the latest eduke32s. It's just buggy, and will probably remain so for a while.

Eh, I play DN3D online...on Live. I find myself going back to it from time to time cuz of the nostalgia factor. It's fun for a few rounds....then it just gets boring. I mean I have no problem woth good players, but some of the players on that port LITERALLY only play that damn game...and brag about it on their profiles. It's pretty funnny actually.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostBrentNewland, on 09 July 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

One of the main goals of my project Bubblegum is to handle a lot of the multiplayer stuff

View Postrasmus thorup, on 09 July 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

View PostSpirrwell, on 09 July 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

Actually, that's a good idea, but I've been a fan of in-game browsing.

This is what YANG is for. YANG is a very mature online Duke (and SW, Blood, Descent, and any custom DOSBox game) organizer and connector. It would be an utter waste to make another program.

So many people have problems with playing online, we either fix the problem we have, or we create something new. Something HAS to happen to make this easier. You can't see that Hendricks?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postrasmus thorup, on 12 July 2011 - 06:36 AM, said:

So many people have problems with playing online, we either fix the problem we have, or we create something new. Something HAS to happen to make this easier. You can't see that Hendricks?

If you actually understood how multiplayer was handled in Duke Nukem 3D you would then see why your post is quite irrelevant.

How would creating something new be any better than YANG?

You would still need to foward ports regardless (unless you are using eduke with the server/client but that is broken to fuck atm)
Also a new multiplayer launcher does not make programs such as xduke/eduke etc any better.

You might be right, i just think that we need a launcher so that people know exacly what to start up to begin with. New people doesn't know about the configuration commands.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Quake II and Quake III had rock solid multiplayer sections. They are also Open Source. Why can't some enterprising soul pilfer examine and adopt some of that code and make it work for Duke?

• Weaponized Autism

View Postrasmus thorup, on 12 July 2011 - 07:19 AM, said:

You might be right, i just think that we need a launcher so that people know exacly what to start up to begin with. New people doesn't know about the configuration commands.

The only thing YANG doesn't do (IIRC) is dedicated server mode. In theory, it shouldn't be difficult to add functionality to start a room as one, or to add an input box to specify one.

View PostTea Monster, on 12 July 2011 - 08:33 AM, said:

Quake II and Quake III had rock solid multiplayer sections. They are also Open Source. Why can't some enterprising soul pilfer examine and adopt some of that code and make it work for Duke?

AFAIK, that's comparable to saying: Quake II and Quake III had rock solid engines. They are also Open Source. Why can't some enterprising soul pilfer examine and adopt some of that code and make it work for Duke?

TX knows what he needs to do to fix it, much like Plagman knows what he needs to do to optimize Polymer, it's the actual work that's the problem.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 12 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

• tile 1018

View Postrasmus thorup, on 12 July 2011 - 07:19 AM, said:

And we're talking about a fifteen year old DOS game? If it's too hard, how the hell do you even know how to play the game? I thought you meant before that you wanted something that was eduke32 specific that could handle it better, and not to make it idiot proof. I could care less about that. If you want that, just create a damn batch file and distribute it.

View PostHendricks266, on 12 July 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

TX knows what he needs to do to fix it, much like Plagman knows what he needs to do to optimize Polymer, it's the actual work that's the problem.

Damnit, every time someone says this, it makes me wish I could help, but I can't because I don't know how yet. I'll probably know within a few months, and knowing my luck, by that time, it'll be fixed.

You can't compare starting up a pogram and changing configurations. This should be fool proof. Imagine you know nothing about this, you wouldn't want to get into configuration options.

• tile 1018

View Postrasmus thorup, on 13 July 2011 - 09:31 AM, said:

You can't compare starting up a pogram and changing configurations. This should be fool proof. Imagine you know nothing about this, you wouldn't want to get into configuration options.

Oh really? Well, most of the people that know about Duke3D most likely played it in the DOS days. Back then you had to deal with IRQs and just having the knowledge to use DOS. Besides, this shouldn't be idiot proof. People should learn how to use something, not learn how to press a few buttons. It's one of the main reasons that people are getting to be more idiotic, things are way too oversimplified. The sad part is, I know people on Macs that couldn't even figure out how to open Microsoft Word LITERALLY. People are so used to their phones, texting, Facebook, and crap like that. Me, I use them, because I have no choice but to use them. (except for cell-phones) How the hell else am I going to talk to someone? Face to face? Since when does anyone do that anymore with only a few exceptions? "Simpletons" rule the Internet now. If you show smarts, you get called a geek or a nerd. You try sniping back, they hold it against you. Then when you try to hold against them the fact that they called you a geek and say it's a good thing or whatever, they'll be like "LOLWut?" What's even more amazing, is that, I'm a science person, and I know that person with only half a brain (their left brain) might actually be better at more complicated things than a person with an entire brain. It's so fucking pathetic. We shouldn't change to suit them, we should open them up to the world. Why would I want to become an idiot just so some other "simpletons" can understand?

View Postthelegend4ever, on 10 July 2011 - 06:33 PM, said:

Eh, I play DN3D online...on Live. I find myself going back to it from time to time cuz of the nostalgia factor. It's fun for a few rounds....then it just gets boring. I mean I have no problem woth good players, but some of the players on that port LITERALLY only play that damn game...and brag about it on their profiles. It's pretty funnny actually.

I also enjoy Duke 3D on live. I was plesantly surprised how much I enjoyed it, but it very barren as hardly anyone plays it. Ever. :(

I'm trying to say that, the easier this is, the more people will enjoy it. Even those that aren't "nerds". And i think that a downloadable launcher coming with eduke and mapster is better than the current configurations, which doesn't seem to work very well apperantly.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Postrasmus thorup, on 13 July 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

I'm trying to say that, the easier this is, the more people will enjoy it. Even those that aren't "nerds". And i think that a downloadable launcher coming with eduke and mapster is better than the current configurations, which doesn't seem to work very well apperantly.

Rasmus, have you even tried setting up YANG? I assure you, it's the simplest procedure in the world. I've gotten friends who don't even know how to open a CD directory to set up YANG with as little as a text file I e-mailed them. Your point is invalid. This crazy "simple launcher" with "usual commands" already exists in the most simplified way it will (most likely) ever be available in.

• tile 1018

View PostRadar1013, on 13 July 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

Rasmus, have you even tried setting up YANG? I assure you, it's the simplest procedure in the world. I've gotten friends who don't even know how to open a CD directory to set up YANG with as little as a text file I e-mailed them. Your point is invalid. This crazy "simple launcher" with "usual commands" already exists in the most simplified way it will (most likely) ever be available in.

True, but the hardest part for new people would be forwarding ports, if you don't know what you're messing with you can kiss your Internet connection goodbye until someone fixes it for you.

• Weaponized Autism

I agree with Spirrwell. However, I lean towards making things as streamlined and easy as possible, even for the simpletons, because it makes the world a happier place and it keeps you from receiving a stream of help emails.

View PostSpirrwell, on 13 July 2011 - 09:46 AM, said:

I'm a science person, and I know that person with only half a brain (their left brain) might actually be better at more complicated things than a person with an entire brain.

I'm pretty sure that's been debunked. http://www.cracked.c...ndergarten.html

View Postrasmus thorup, on 13 July 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

I still don't understand what you mean by "the current configurations". Have you tried YANG? Download it, run it, and see if it does what you want it to do. YANG could very easily be linked to from eduke32.com.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options