Duke4.net Forums: Spawning Infinite monsters - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spawning Infinite monsters  "Alien-like game, spawning monsters on a timer."

User is offline   TheKGB 

Hey all.

Have you ever played space hulk? If not, the idea is that aliens are coming from every direction and you need to complete an objective. There is no end to the aliens, so you must complete the objective quickly or be overwhelmed.

So, as my first real mapping project, I wanted to make a co-op map based around this concept. I've the basics of a map down. With several locations from which the aliens are to enter the map. The few problems I've run into that I couldn't solve by reading the Wiki are as follows:

1) How do I get the game to spawn monsters on a timer at certain locations (Perhaps the timer will speed up as the game goes on, or change based on difficulty level) and then immediately activate the monsters so they follow the players? Also, how do I get this to only activate when the players have entered the actual game area (rather than the starting area with their ammo and equipment)?

2) How do I get Predator drones to stop shooting shrink rays? I wanted to use them, but the shrink ray firing is a no-go.

If someone could help me out here, it would be much appreciated.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The answer to both your problems is to use the popular DukePlus mod by Deeperthought. It adds extra options in-game, but perhaps more importantly, adds tonnes of customization and extra map effects including those you described. Download it here: http://fissile.duke4...e_dukeplus.html (manual and map effects guide are on the same page).

But I warn you regarding your idea to make a co-op map, the current multiplayer code for eduke32 is in flux and buggy. In addition, other programs must be used to get a multiplayer game running, and for these reasons, I doubt many people at all will be willing to play your map as a co-op experience, and I highly recommend you make sure it can be finished by a single player.

User is offline   TheKGB 

View PostMicky C, on 30 June 2011 - 10:56 PM, said:

But I warn you regarding your idea to make a co-op map, the current multiplayer code for eduke32 is in flux and buggy. In addition, other programs must be used to get a multiplayer game running, and for these reasons, I doubt many people at all will be willing to play your map as a co-op experience, and I highly recommend you make sure it can be finished by a single player.

I have Dukeplus, I was hoping there was a way to do it without, as me and my friend who lives across the country use dukeX to play multiplayer. I figure that I can have the difficulty settings have some sort of effect on the spawn timer, and I'm sure on a lower difficulty it would be doable by a single person. My hope was to have the gameplay focus around the fact that you have limited ammunition, so missions must be completed quickly and efficiently, which is where the Co-Op part comes in.

I was planning to start each player with:
Chaingun cannon and 200 ammo
200 Pistol ammo
5 Pipebombs
5 Tripmines
Nightvision
Armor
Medical Kit

Although there would be areas in levels to restock ammo etc, each level would be relativley small, so efficent teamwork was to be the purpose of the map.

Is there a way to make dukeplus compatible with Xduke (or DukeX or w.e) so that Co-Op would be more readily doable? Otherwise, I will make it for Eduke for the time being, but co-op with friends was the main purpose of this project in the first place.

.:EDIT:.

Yeah, wow, I never even checked out the map additions for dukeplus. Jeeze. So great! When will Eduke be playable multiplayer?

This post has been edited by TheKGB: 01 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The eduke32 developers are working on and off with the multiplayer, it's not a high priority for them.

The great irony for you is that older eduke versions can still easily run working multiplayer games, but they won't work with dukeplus because it de-syncs too quickly. However, when the multiplayer code is finished, eduke will be perfectly capable of using DukePlus and other mods online, but it's not finished.

User is offline   coheed82 

View PostMicky C, on 30 June 2011 - 10:56 PM, said:

The answer to both your problems is to use the popular DukePlus mod by Deeperthought. It adds extra options in-game, but perhaps more importantly, adds tonnes of customization and extra map effects including those you described. Download it here: http://fissile.duke4...e_dukeplus.html (manual and map effects guide are on the same page).

Heya, I downloaded the DukePlus zip file. But when it finished, i clicked on the zipped folder and it said it was Invalid?
is the file from here >> http://fissile.duke4...e_dukeplus.html corrupt or something??
Thanks.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postcoheed82, on 01 July 2011 - 06:50 AM, said:

Heya, I downloaded the DukePlus zip file. But when it finished, i clicked on the zipped folder and it said it was Invalid?
is the file from here >> http://fissile.duke4...e_dukeplus.html corrupt or something??
Thanks.

No it will be your crappy mobile internet connection, you are going to have to redownload it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options