Duke4.net Forums: Here's a console command for sharper shadows that I've recently found while being bored... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Here's a console command for sharper shadows that I've recently found while being bored...

After I've checked and experimented with every single DNF console command in search of a console related fix for the bullet wounds and the particles, gibs settings, among many other interesting but useless commands that do random stuff with the render, I've also found these two commands r_dirshadowmapratio1 and r_dirshadowmapratio2
I've tried all kinds of values for r_dirshadowmapratio1 with no visible result, while r_dirshadowmapratio2 did show visible results as you can see below.
After testing and experimenting for some time, I've figured that if you enter r_dirshadowmapratio2 0.04 in the console, Duke's shadow and every other shadow that's closer to you, becomes much higher res and much sharper than default.
The downside with this is that at a certain distance, the shadows look as low res as they do from default.
This setting here only applies to the closer shadows.
If you increase the value from 0.04 to let's say 0.09 I've noticed that the further shadows become more detailed while the closer shadows become less detailed.
So 0.04 is the point that I found to be the best for me.
Try it and you can experiment with various values like 0.01 or 0.1 , 0.2 and up to 0.99

Here's a comparison that I've made for curious people.
It's not much but it's something.
If you like it, use it and enjoy..
Posted ImagePosted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 June 2011 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   Kyphros 

Interesting.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Shit, I just thought shadows looked like that because my laptop was weak. Guess not. They look kinda weird, in my opinion.

User is offline   Stewox 

Are you sure it's affecting 3 things

Shadow LOD
Shadow "Blurines"
Shadow Resolution

In Crysis, "shadow blur" command is called as such: r_ShadowJittering = 1.5
(there is "r_shadowblur" but that's something else in connection with motion blur)

And the resolution: e_shadows_max_texture_size = 2048 (default extreme 768, 8192 = overkill)

For lods i don't know.

Now deviance , does the resolution really change , because i messed with this in crysis and it's only appears as improving in resolution but that is not the case, the jitter is on the whole texutre , not just the edges.

There's another setting for lods definitely ... but this is a command that has RATIO on the end so it's kind of .. confusing.

And DNF having this combined in a single command is a really silly thing.

This post has been edited by Stewox: 25 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

View PostStewox, on 25 June 2011 - 12:53 PM, said:

There's another setting for lods definitely ... but this is a command that has RATIO on the end so it's kind of .. confusing.

It seems that it changes the ratio of power/memory/quality/? between near and far shadows.

User is offline   Hank 

@ first post - I wonder if you accessed the lights with 2 = directional and 1 = ambient. Good find so. Please keep it up. Every find helps, and I record all that, it may come in handy way down the future, right now I'm only playing, too lacy to hack away. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 25 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Cool man, I'm definitely going to test this out and see what value feels the best. Good find.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 25 June 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

Shit, I just thought shadows looked like that because my laptop was weak. Guess not. They look kinda weird, in my opinion.

MY laptop = My little sisters laptop from whom i beg to let me play with!!! Posted Image

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 25 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Actually, she's willingly letting me use it. I don't know what kind of fucked up families you guys come from, but I love my siblings and we lend each other things.

User is offline   Romulus 

Mr. Deviance strikes again :) doing justice to the Duke and himself, keep going bro!

User is offline   Johnny 

Awesome! Thank you for this Mr. Deviance! :)

Gearbox has the Fullversion-Release not released with this settings, because they want to make sure, that the Game will run perfect on every Computer/Console i think. But this tricks makes this Game better!

User is offline   0utlawz 

Thanks Mr. Deviance, It's always a great pleasure to hear from you again about this graphic tweak :)
Anyway it seem that: r_dirshadowmapratio2 0.125000 is the default (found in DNF Console Commands).

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 25 June 2011 - 07:58 PM, said:

Actually, she's willingly letting me use it. I don't know what kind of fucked up families you guys come from, but I love my siblings and we lend each other things.

Posted Image

This troll face actually looks a little like Jace Hall.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I think you mean this:

Posted Image

Did anybody test this after the patch? I heard that some people experienced crappy shadows after the latest patch, so maybe this setting can help you get some decent details.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options