Duke4.net Forums: Behind the scenes, 3D Realms animator talks about development of DNF - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Behind the scenes, 3D Realms animator talks about development of DNF

User is offline   trustn0! 

Found something on the GBX forums that was just posted

Very interesting stuff among them being
WoW joke done on the Jace Hall show was partially true
If the money didnt run out we would have gotten the game in christmas 09
When 3DR closed they could barely get it to run on a console
Also Yahtzee wrote a plotline to Duke( :) )

Duke stuff at around the 50 minute mark

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 24 June 2011 - 01:28 AM

User is offline   Alithinos 

So what this man says is that:

1) The people working there had many ideas that told to George,but George wouldn't listen to them because he wanted the whole game to be exactly like he wanted.

2) George was so secretive that didn't let people playtest the game,and as a result many parts of the game are boring and there where many bugs.

3) When Triptych started working over DNF they decided to scrap half of the game George had made,it wasn't Gearbox.

4) When Gearbox took the game,the single player was complete and the only thing they've done was to add multiplayer and fix some bugs.

That explains A LOT.
Gearbox was nice and good with the game.
I take back what I said about them in my other thread.

Is it just me or was there alot of ripping on George in there? :)

I've watched the entire video and my conclusion is the following...
In this video we have a declared hater on the right a neutral guy in the middle and a new age animator that worked between 2007 and 2009 on DNF even though he didn't agree with anything old school that George wanted in the game and also lost his job there which could potentially make his view even more subjective.
Notice how they all laugh when that guy mentions that George said that Duke is serious and not a parody?
Yeah, that explains how much they all understand Duke Nukem.
What a bunch of new age fags in that video, I am disgusted over the legal limit.
What do you expect from a young animator douchebag that talks shit in public about a project at which he worked in the past?
Did anybody even tell that lamer that it's so unethical and unprofessional to bash the projects and the people with which you worked in the past?
Judging by the way he puts it every single time, he is obviously not a Duke fan, he is just a guy that worked at animations for 2 years at a game that happened to be DNF.
As I'm sure many here have noticed, the animations in DNF are some of the worst parts of the game, so I guess this goes to show prove why he got to work at that failure of a game Call of Duty Black Ops and now he is working a that shitty starwars kinect game...
George made a huge mistake to hire such a slacking talentless idiot as that guy talking and now he pays for it by having that worm talk shit behind Duke's and George's back.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 24 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

WTF.

(btw that wasn't directed at you, Deviance)

This post has been edited by Wieder: 24 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Duke = "Average Shooter"? What is this guy smoking?

Edit: Apple II is a 'Gaming Platform' ... wtf????!?!?!?!?!?!!?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 24 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 24 June 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

Notice how they all laugh when that guy mentions that George said that Duke is serious and not a parody?

Yep, it's easy to laugh when you played the game to think Duke was serious.

He could have been serious. Now all is lost. I remember quotes by George and/or Scott that DNF was supposed to be pretty serious. I mean, many action movies with Arnie were serious even with the jokes and one-liners. DNF 2007 teaser showed us kind of serious badass Duke.

And DNF is not in any way serious.

Gearbox was nice and good with the game.
I take back what I said about them in my other thread.

That depends. We can still take them accountable for a character shift.

They tried to have ones cake and eat it
There was no decisive tone in DNF
Im just glad the nightmare is over and Duke is back and in good hands this time

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 24 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

This is annoying to listen to. I think the guy on the left is fair enough, but the fat guy on the right just started out hating on DNF. Nothing about the game could satisfy him because he decided to hate on it to start with. The guys brother had been rejected by George, so is it really a surprise that he doesn't like him? George might have maken mistakes, but this guy makes him look like a bad guy or something. Maybe this guy should just do his job instead of saying what george does should do. And the games he worked on. Black ops? Yay what a hero.

User is offline   Kathy 

The guys brother had been rejected by George, so is it really a surprise that he doesn't like him?

Huh, where did he say he didn't like him? He said George is such a nice guy, a big teddy bear.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Also let's not forget that Triptych didn't do anything behind George's back. You can clearly see George in one of the photos from the extras of DNF. It shows the team on a meeting with Goerge watching the game and it's progress.

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

Notice how they all laugh when that guy mentions that George said that Duke is serious and not a parody? Yeah, that explains how much they all understand Duke Nukem.

Yeah, Duke used to be serious / badass. At least he sounded more serious.

3D Realms

Gearbox

http://www.youtube.c...tailpage#t=132s

This post has been edited by Fox Mulder: 24 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

Lol this is like the holy grail of DNF knowledge I have been waiting for when DNF came out I sorta was looking for closure to why it took so long , and it did not give any. This interview made my day lol.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

This interview just confirmed what we already know. George sucked and he needed someone to show him he sucked. It's good to finally have confirmation.

Also, this guy did work on some games that had seriously shitty animation. I still have nightmares about Wolfenstein: ET. The only thing worse than the animation was that games instability.

What a bunch of new age fags in that video, I am disgusted over the legal limit.

What's the legal limit? Goatseman cookin' up some 'ol country style blue waffles?

This post has been edited by Descent: 24 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

View PostMadmaxwell, on 24 June 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

Lol this is like the holy grail of DNF knowledge I have been waiting for when DNF came out I sorta was looking for closure to why it took so long , and it did not give any. This interview made my day lol.

Please don't think you can get even close to the full picture from one person's account. Especially someone who was only there for a short period, and is of the mindset that they shouldn't have to buy the game... among other things said.

This is why I try to avoid getting into those sort of things myself. The Wired article, for example... is very distorted to viewpoints primarily from people who came in after 2006, and thus they state things that are patently untrue about prior to 2006, but they do it because they honestly just don't know. They weren't there and anything they have heard is definitely out of context. The same thing happened with the guy who came along long after 2001, but felt the need to post in public what he thought happened with the 2001 trailer. It was wrong, but people believed it, and some still do.

It's a mess and things like this simply don't help. Imagine me trying to comment in public about the hearsay *I* have heard for what happened after 2006? That would be uncouth because I simply wasn't there and I'd likely say things that are incorrect.

It sucks for you guys for sure, but I assure you if you find yourself in a similar position you would appreciate people using good discretion when talking in public.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 24 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This proves DNF's biggest problem, there were just too many people working on it over the years and too many separate visions screwing things up.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 June 2011 - 08:53 PM, said:

This proves DNF's biggest problem, there were just too many people working on it over the years and too many separate visions screwing things up.

Yep exactly what ive been saying all this time.There was no narrative structure and you can tell that by just playing the game,It does feel stiched together.The media can scoff up all the bile it wants but fuck em
i got what ive wanted for the last 10 years since i first played Duke 3D.Duke Nukem back in the spotlightt,and you know what they say: Theres no such thing as bad publicity.
We have already established that the game is critic proof so now we just have to wait when Gearbox makes a game and blow everyone out of the water.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

I know this is going to sound blunt, but I don't really have time to go into detail on my feelings over this.

But the one thing I really wanted to say was, after watching this, I believe that a major problem could of been people telling George he was wrong, and it just sounds like they took advantage of George's kind nature to try and bully him into making their own game.

I have a feeling George's DNF would have taken itself a lot more seriously.

This probably doesn't read like I meant it, its hard to explain though :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

DNF turned out a lot more serious than I expected it to be after seeing all the trailers.

What that guy was saying makes alot of sense from an artist's perspective. being basically told 'no you can't do that, my way is so much better' without even a budge every time you tried to help make a product better (what he was effectively paid to do, and was obviously hired for in the first place) is a kick in the jaw. In the interactive medium, that's a very bad thing to do to your team, and creates lots of problems. I mean, it's obvious he and the other staff REALLY cared that the game be fun and look cool. He had alot of passion and caring about the project and George too. But really, you gotta have the ability to tell the truth. That's what he set out to do. His criticism is fair and he most definitely had lots of praise for everyone on the staff. This is a fair and well thought out take from someone who was right there in the thick of it, and I for one am very happy he took the time to speak up.

Mr. Deviance, I REALLY think your assessment is pants-on-head retarded. Insulting him doesn't help your standards of deduction at all, it just makes you look like an ass. In no way is he really badmouthing George or anyone who worked on it. he's telling that they did everything they could to get the job done. If he were burning bridges... well, he'd be doing what you are doing right now. Thanks for providing a good example for the class!

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 24 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

User is offline   serioussam 

How could you not hear the parts where the animator was bad mouthing George? Even though he said G.B is a good friend (imo to make the bad mouthing look light)
G.B put millions into the project so OFCOURSE he is going to be objective over every suggestion someone throws his way. The animator didn't even play DNF yet, shouldn't that tell you something? Clearly he's butt hurt about something.

This post has been edited by serioussam: 24 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

View PostColon Semicolon, on 24 June 2011 - 10:32 PM, said:

Mr. Deviance, I REALLY think your assessment is pants-on-head retarded. Insulting him doesn't help your standards of deduction at all, it just makes you look like an ass. In no way is he really badmouthing George or anyone who worked on it. he's telling that they did everything they could to get the job done. If he were burning bridges... well, he'd be doing what you are doing right now. Thanks for providing a good example for the class!

Didn't really care to hear your opinion about my views but as you can see, 5 other people think it's worthy of a thumbs up.
Having somebody bashing my opinions by using his, would be interesting, if only that person wasn't you in particular.
Your opinions in particular really equal shit to me due to the fact that I know you for being a troll and a hater since many months ago, back when you were still actively posting and talking shit on a daily basis.
So thanks for your opinion on my opinion but you can take it and shove it up your ass and then taste it if you please.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 24 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 24 June 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

thanks for your opinion on my opinion but you can take it and shove it up your ass and then taste it.

As Duke would put it :)

Also from what they said in the interview about Triptych cutting half the game before releasing it, leads me to believe that other half will definitely be DLC.

This post has been edited by serioussam: 24 June 2011 - 11:36 PM

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

View PostWieder, on 24 June 2011 - 08:38 PM, said:

Please don't think you can get even close to the full picture from one person's account. Especially someone who was only there for a short period, and is of the mindset that they shouldn't have to buy the game... among other things said.

This is why I try to avoid getting into those sort of things myself. The Wired article, for example... is very distorted to viewpoints primarily from people who came in after 2006, and thus they state things that are patently untrue about prior to 2006, but they do it because they honestly just don't know. They weren't there and anything they have heard is definitely out of context. The same thing happened with the guy who came along long after 2001, but felt the need to post in public what he thought happened with the 2001 trailer. It was wrong, but people believed it, and some still do.

It's a mess and things like this simply don't help. Imagine me trying to comment in public about the hearsay *I* have heard for what happened after 2006? That would be uncouth because I simply wasn't there and I'd likely say things that are incorrect.

It sucks for you guys for sure, but I assure you if you find yourself in a similar position you would appreciate people using good discretion when talking in public.

Lol I have been following this train wreck for 14 years he is not the only piece in the puzzle but I finally have enough pieces to come to a good conclusion on how this 14 year long cluster fuck came together. I enjoyed duke but it was not worth the 14 year roller coaster and I am sure most would agree. so don't assume he is the only person I got my info from.

This post has been edited by Madmaxwell: 25 June 2011 - 12:50 AM

View PostMadmaxwell, on 25 June 2011 - 12:49 AM, said:

Lol I have been following this train wreck for 14 years he is not the only piece in the puzzle but I finally have enough pieces to come to a good conclusion on how this 14 year long cluster fuck came together. I enjoyed duke but it was not worth the 14 year roller coaster and I am sure most would agree. so don't assume he is the only person I got my info from.

Of course its not worth the 14 year wait do we have to hammer down the fact that NOTHING was ever going to be worth it?
A fractured development,a relatively small team and what was a clear lack of focus is what caused all of this
Its over and done with so just put it to rest

View Posttrustn0!, on 25 June 2011 - 01:00 AM, said:

Of course its not worth the 14 year wait do we have to hammer down the fact that NOTHING was ever going to be worth it?
A fractured development,a relatively small team and what was a clear lack of focus is what caused all of this
Its over and done with so just put it to rest

Agreed. Some people really need to learn when it's time to shut the fuck up and give it a rest.
Immature brats never learn and constantly try to cause drama from a subject such as this one, no matter how many times they are proven wrong.
Hot subjects are just prone to flames and trolling and there's nothing we can do about it.
Unless they see DNF put down completely and buried under 10 feet of shit and mud, some idiots simply can't be satisfied.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 June 2011 - 05:37 AM

Yeah I'm with Deviance on this. I'm already psyched for the next installment. The only thing I feel like bitching about is the lack of dedicated servers and to a much lesser extent, the graphical issues. That actually matters. There is nothing we can do to improve the single player experience. Enjoy it and wait patiently for the next installment of Duke.

On a side note, I can't believe you pussies neg repped me for that Goatse shit Posted Image.

View PostDescent, on 25 June 2011 - 10:11 AM, said:

There is nothing we can do to improve the single player experience. On Enjoy it and wait patiently for the next installment of Duke.

If mod tools some how get released, modders can improve the single player experience, look at Rich Whithouse page on DNF, this was his latest comment:
I got a reply on my last e-mail yesterday, actually. They're still being pretty good about communicating with me and will hopefully be cooperating with me on getting a better mod-loading solution up and running as well. Things are just rather slow-going on the back and forth, which is understandable. For now, I have more drinking and Contra waiting for me.

http://www.richwhite...x.php?postid=65

Don't give up hope! keep waiting patiently, im thinking something will come of this.

This post has been edited by serioussam: 25 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

Oh my GOD 3Dwizard was posting in that thread! He's alive! And we have his IP now Posted Image!

Posted Image

Also, best captcha ever.

This post has been edited by Descent: 25 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

View PostMadmaxwell, on 25 June 2011 - 12:49 AM, said:

You are free to believe you can come to a good conclusion... I'm telling you that you still only have bits and pieces. A reasonably decent very vague picture... perhaps. But there is a *lot* missing from the history and I'm just suggesting you keep in mind the truth of "We don't know what we don't know". You don't know how it came together... you know tidbits... and primarily from people who weren't there for the first 10 years. His description of how things went is similar in some areas to what I and others experienced... but also very different.

This approach to things like this doesn't just apply to this... it applies to pretty much any book, documentary, interview, article, etc you read about anything. The Wired article is well written, with some areas of truth, but a lot of things incorrect.

If it gives you some sort of closure, that's great for you... but don't think it means your conclusion is accurate. :)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options