Duke4.net Forums: DNF DLC! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF DLC!

User is offline   You 

Just had a dream!

I'm on these forums too much if I dream about them, but this was a pretty cool idea.

They canceled the DLC due to the rubbish sales. Instead they fixed all the obvious bugs, implemented a weapons wheel and made the DLC levels more like what we wanted. They then announced a new game for Christmas as a budget title (due to the shortness of the game).

What do you think?

This post has been edited by You: 20 July 2011 - 04:14 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostYou, on 20 July 2011 - 04:11 AM, said:

What do you think?

Close. Posted Image

I dreamed that Randy made another video and said that a DLC for modding tools will come before Christmas, because George finally revealed the secret of the encrypted port hidden deep in the massive source code of DNF.

The game wasn't short, especially compared to other FPS games withing the past 5 or 10 years. So that's not really a problem for me. And i don't have a problem with the maps in DNF. Weapon wheel would be a good idea, but then they would also have to change the weapon drop system.

User is offline   NNC 

I hope the new SP levels will take place in either space or urban area. Just to give us some feeling from D3D.

How do i make text hidden with a spoler button?

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 20 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

All you have to do is this:

Spoiler

:(

Umm...how do we know these achievements are legitimate?

View PostNancsi, on 20 July 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

I hope the new SP levels will take place in either space or urban area. Just to give us some feeling from D3D.

Spoiler

Thanks NightFright. I forgot the / :(

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 21 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

View PostYou, on 20 July 2011 - 04:11 AM, said:

Just had a dream!

I'm on these forums too much if I dream about them, but this was a pretty cool idea.

They canceled the DLC due to the rubbish sales. Instead they fixed all the obvious bugs, implemented a weapons wheel and made the DLC levels more like what we wanted. They then announced a new game for Christmas as a budget title (due to the shortness of the game).

What do you think?

Nice dream, but I think more realistically if they can the DLC the game goes with it there has not been a patch since release. More realistically the next duke comes in 2 to 5 years once everyone has forgotten about the scathing reviews and abysmal ports. Duke nukem is pushed into a short line of call of duty clones and dies a sad death along with the Battlefield franchise and Brothers in Arms. Sorry that was just a nightmare who knows I stopped coming the forums because DNF's story full circle is depressing :/ better luck next time I guess back to the real stuff ~plays DN3D~

User is offline   Betelgeuse 

• Honored Donor

Iv'e always got time for more duke.

User is offline   You 

I just want to add that my most recent post really was a dream. I posted it from my phone (N900) about 15 minutes after waking up. Thought it was an odd thing to dream.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I think the future of Duke Nukem will be much the same as the past. There will be more low budget games for the DS and other handhelds, maybe some digitally sold PC/Mac/Live games, but that's it for now. Another big budget title will likely not start development in a very long time. Look at Deus Ex for example. The last one, Invisible War, came out in 2003. It was a critical failure, although not nearly as bad as DNF, and we waited EIGHT YEARS for another sequel. In fact, Eidos thought it was such a disaster they quickly retooled Project Snowblind by removing ties to Deus Ex because they thought the franchise was poison. Invisible War still sold over 1 million copies.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

However, Invisible War really sucked because it had jack shit to do with Deus Ex. Very improper sequel, would serve better as a spinoff for a tertiary character of a sequel.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 22 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

When the SP DLC releases, I hope they will include something from the old DNF build :( http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tDrD2m4PNl8

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What's seen in that video is basically what we got in the game. Everything else we didn't see were just test situations. (It's the 2006 footage for those who are wondering), we're fairly sure Gearbox are creating something completely original for their DLC, which is probably a good move. At least it will be if they actually listen to criticism and make the levels are less linear.

I don't see why developers must have linear levels. They argue that it takes a lot of effort to make levels, so they'd rather focus the effort on making one path and making it look good. Well I say that if they make it nonlinear, then players will go through the areas several times, and the time creating content to play time ratio is actually more favourable.

Not to mention that making those nonlinear levels less scripted would ease the level making process. We don't need a million explosions, dropship landings, or turret sequences if the levels are fun to explore. For every step forward shooters have taken, they've taken two steps back :(

It makes me wonder when the last time the 3DR guys actually played D3D. If you're going to make the game a reboot (which, for all intents in purposes, it is. Just 12 years later, great writing lol), don't take away more fun things than you add. I didn't expect perfection, but I expected 3DR to not treat the player like an idiot. Big flashing doors? When that door is my only exit in a completely linear level? Give me a break. 2 hours of boring before we get into the swing of things? No thanks. The game also isn't very immersive

I want DN5!

• Honored Donor

You actually have a good point there. One of the reasons why the game took so long is because George wanted to add all sorts of features from other games that he played. Like *sigh* cod and halo. If he actually played Duke 3D for a change he could have been like "hey guys check this awesome game out! It's got a jetpack and urban levels! Let's put that in the DNF singleplayer campaign."

User is offline   WedgeBob 

View Postrandir14, on 22 June 2011 - 12:21 AM, said:

It's a rumor not an announcement. But I'd only buy single player DLC.

Ditto this, those are the only DLC packages I'll ever invest in for ANY game. Leave multiplayer DLCs to those who like to bash each other, but I only care about splattering those pig cops and octabrains into oblivion.

User is offline   necroslut 

At least they didn't make the mistake to release the weapon and level packs as seperate DLCs, as we first thought. The whole parody thing feels kinda cheap though, more like Matt Hazard than Duke Nukem.

• Honored Donor

will it mean that people who don't have the DLC can't play the maps even if other people are hosting?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMicky C, on 27 July 2011 - 03:14 AM, said:

will it mean that people who don't have the DLC can't play the maps even if other people are hosting?

Of course not. You probably get an error message (like in other games).

The real question is ... will people still be playing MP at all by the time the DLC is out (unless there are real dedicated servers and a patch fixing basically everything in MP from the game browser to netcode to balance to map layout)?

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 27 July 2011 - 04:14 AM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Multiplayer DLC for a game with such a low online population NEVER WORKS. Unless it's made free for everybody you will see very few servers using the new maps.

User is offline   zwieback 

who wants a dlc when the multiplayer still lacks of basic functionality? but as fanboy i still want it.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Patch? Mod tools? BASIC SUPPORT FROM GEARBOX?????????????

Grrrrrrrrrr.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, I'm still irritated there hasn't been a patch yet. A lot of people, including me, are still experiencing the Steam overlay issue. It's really annoying, and fucks with the game.

User is offline   randir14 

What a waste of time. Multiplayer DLC even though the multiplayer is dead, mainly because of the horrible lag and glitches that haven't even been fixed.

• Honored Donor

View Postkaisersoze, on 27 July 2011 - 10:00 AM, said:

Patch? Mod tools? BASIC SUPPORT FROM GEARBOX?????????????

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Gearbox: "well why would we do that? We'd have to give those out for free! We don't see the point in that"

Edit: "but we'll get back to you as soon as we know something" :(

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Let's hope the DLC comes with fixed problems.

Well they are releasing that patch what with the 4-weapon system and VAC support. Pigs are already flying with that alone, so maybe we'll see cats and dogs living together in frozen over Hell.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options