Duke4.net Forums: DNF DLC! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF DLC!

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

The game has no competition so of course it would rate highly for the first couple weeks. Nobody doubted that. Almost every game with enough advertising/hype behind it does so even with competition. After a couple weeks it is slipping from the top of the US charts and is already off the UK top 10. Again, most games, even the best sellers, do the same. The first few weeks of sales numbers are what matter the most, and DNF doesn't have them.

Here are the worldwide sales numbers right now for all platforms after two weeks:

Xbox360: 285,371
PS3: 188,627
PC: 87,391 (I cannot confirm if this is counting Steam sales, but I doubt that puts much of a dent in it either way)

Now compare those numbers with AvP3's worldwide sales after two weeks:
Xbox360: 483,982
PS3: 336,407
PC: 89,893

AvP3 received mediocre to poor reviews and was also in the top of the charts for the first few weeks. Then, just as predicted, it slipped off the charts while the sales took a dive. Not surprisingly Sega reacted to this by dropping support for all platforms, especially screwing over the console versions by not releasing the final patches. Put both AvP3 and DNF side by side. I'm not arguing whether or not the games are good. That's all based on opinion. But the numbers are not good for people expecting a game with a long lifespan. Maybe 2k and Gearbox will act outside of the norm and support DNF for years. Maybe we'll see tons of significant patches where they transform the game for the better, release awesome DLC, and give us the mod tools in a timely manner. Word of mouth could save the sales and keep the numbers going at a steady rate for months. Strange things happen in the video game industry. Based on experience I'm not getting my hopes up.

User is offline   SavagE 

yeah, but avp has like 15% moar in overall rating, especially with fans. THe game received really polarized reviews dunno why - I liked it very much, although the campaign was a bit too short.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

Who the hell is going to buy the DCLs? People who aren't hardcore Duke fans won't because of poor DNF reviews and hardcore Duke fans won't well a lot won't, because of the lack of mod support. Everyone is going to be playing games like Skyrim and Rage by that point anyway.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostDerickVonD, on 27 June 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

Who the hell is going to buy the DCLs? People who aren't hardcore Duke fans won't because of poor DNF reviews and hardcore Duke fans won't well a lot won't, because of the lack of mod support. Everyone is going to be playing games like Skyrim and Rage by that point anyway.

I don't expect the multiplayer DLC to sell at all. You might get 2 or 3 servers using the new exclusive maps whenever they release. Operators don't like it when more than half the players suddenly disconnect because they don't have the same content. The singleplayer DLC might do ok. It would be wise of them to release the multiplayer stuff for free and one big singleplayer expansion pack separately on online stores. In the next few months all the heavy hitters will start coming out and DNF will be a thing of the past.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMad Max RW, on 27 June 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

Word of mouth could save the sales and keep the numbers going at a steady rate for months. Strange things happen in the video game industry. Based on experience I'm not getting my hopes up.

Well, speaking of word of mouth, customer rating is now up to 8.2 from 6.5.
http://gamrreview.vg...-nukem-forever/

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I will get the SP DLC, maybe the weapon pack if it's real cheap, but I doubt it.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 28 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 27 June 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

Well, speaking of word of mouth, customer rating is now up to 8.2 from 6.5.
http://gamrreview.vg...-nukem-forever/

That sample consists of 16 ratings. For example, the metacritic user score (4/10) is based on over 200 votes.

User is offline   Awesomebob 

Dev kit and dedicated server included in this?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostAwesomebob, on 29 June 2011 - 04:15 AM, said:

Dev kit and dedicated server included in this?

Hahahahahahaha

Perhaps the Single Player DLC will bring back Dr. Proton, and the other characters, enemies, and locations as promised for the original DNF?

I know, I know. It's not certain to happen. I'm an overenthusiastic DNF dweeb. Still, considering the gaps in the story presented to us by the resulting DNF product, maybe the DLC would be an opportunity to revisit the story originally planned by 3D Realms. Proton could be revealed to be behind to new alien onslought of Nevada in DNF, and legions of new alien enemies and bosses could follow him against you. If Bombshell might appear in the DLC, then so should the rest of the characters and enemies from DNF's original conception appear so too.

Perhaps the new developers could complete the level locations promised for DNF, like Area 51, Grey alien spacecraft, lava mines, and explorable city streets and buildings of Las Vegas? On the other hand, maybe they should opt for different locations, like Shrapnel City or Nothern California.

I want to see Proton as a boss in the DLC. A Rigelatin too, if the developing team can afford one.

Will the DLC developers take into account the suggestions of the fans, or will they develop the DLC on their own accord?

RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! I feel soooooooooo angry that most of the story and character that were promised for DNF were cut out!! Wasn't there supposed to be Duke Clones or something? I remember something like that being said after the plot leaked. Also WHY DID THEY CUT OUT BOMBSHELL!?

*Ahem*

Sorry about that guys, I just finished DNF and am a bit annoyed.

One thing that bothers me though, is if Randy said they wanted to finish the game 3DR started, why was so much cut? Time couldn't have been an issue, as DNF was supposed to be a longer than average game.

Also there was hardly any story which pissed me off.

Sorry for ranting guys.

User is offline   trustn0! 

View Postblackandbright, on 04 July 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! I feel soooooooooo angry that most of the story and character that were promised for DNF were cut out!! Wasn't there supposed to be Duke Clones or something? I remember something like that being said after the plot leaked. Also WHY DID THEY CUT OUT BOMBSHELL!?

*Ahem*

Sorry about that guys, I just finished DNF and am a bit annoyed.

One thing that bothers me though, is if Randy said they wanted to finish the game 3DR started, why was so much cut? Time couldn't have been an issue, as DNF was supposed to be a longer than average game.

Also there was hardly any story which pissed me off.

Sorry for ranting guys.

There is actally a reason for that
When 3DR closed down and when Triptych formed they cut a good 30-40% of the material out because for such a small team they couldnt finish the entire thing
When the lawsuit settled and Gearbox got the project Tripytch already assembled the pieces that they had to create the SP and going back and finishing off the levels that they cut in order to get the game working would have taken FAR too much time to finish off considering that further delays would have killed the game(seriously it would not have survived a autumn release)
So the best way to sum up the story is that it feels stiched which is exactly what happened
I would say just relax.Duke is back and i can not wait till Gearbox actually makes a game of their own

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Duke clones and Bombshell have been cut for years.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

WHY DID THEY CUT OUT BOMBSHELL!?

There hasn't been a good reason to assume her to be in the game for years now.

There are many things wrong with the game but length is not one of them. DNF was a bit longer than most shooters tend to be. It's not like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D or Quake were 20-hour games.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Also WHY DID THEY CUT OUT BOMBSHELL!?

Because she was a stupid character and from looking through the art book, there were many stupid ideas to go along with her.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 04 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

User is offline   Nuked 

I hope it's free.
For what we got as the first game, there should be two more stores for free (like the DN3D)

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 04 July 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

There hasn't been a good reason to assume her to be in the game for years now.

But she was mentioned in leaked documents as a playable character.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostHelel, on 04 July 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

Yeah, well... stuff written in design documents that members of the public are fortunate enough to ever actually see should be taken with a grain of salt. Look at the good ol' Doom Bible for instance.

I will only buy the single player DLC. I'm not into multiplayer so there's no point in buying anything else.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostHelel, on 04 July 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

We've no idea when those documents were written or their legitimacy.

View Posttrustn0!, on 04 July 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

There is actally a reason for that
When 3DR closed down and when Triptych formed they cut a good 30-40% of the material out because for such a small team they couldnt finish the entire thing
When the lawsuit settled and Gearbox got the project Tripytch already assembled the pieces that they had to create the SP and going back and finishing off the levels that they cut in order to get the game working would have taken FAR too much time to finish off considering that further delays would have killed the game(seriously it would not have survived a autumn release)
So the best way to sum up the story is that it feels stiched which is exactly what happened
I would say just relax.Duke is back and i can not wait till Gearbox actually makes a game of their own

Sorry to agure but I thought the game was almost finished when Triptych took over, I thought something like only 2 levels hadn't been started. Guess I was wrong :)

You say it would've taken too long for GBX to put the cut levels back in and finish them, well they could've I reckon if they hadn't annouced it at PAX. I mean think about it: Triptych had and extra year to finish the game, which was acually done before GBX took over (which was a year before it was annouced) according to the timeline included in the game.

So GBX easily made the man power to cut those levels back in, some of them at least.

I think we all agree that the PAX annoucement was a rushed one. I was expecting a grand reveal, but that's another story.

View PostHelel, on 04 July 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

PLAYABLE character!? That make cutting her out worse! I thought she was just a supporting character :P

User is offline   trustn0! 

Triptych was about 9 people in total what the hell were you expecting to do ?Studios nowadays have up to 200 people
If they started development on those unfinished levels it would have meant even more delays and it would have to compete with the likes of BF3 MW3 and Skyrim and Deus EX and god knows what else is coming out
The game is what it is
Just let it go so Gearbox can give us a good sequel

View Posttrustn0!, on 05 July 2011 - 11:40 AM, said:

Triptych was about 9 people in total what the hell were you expecting to do ?Studios nowadays have up to 200 people
If they started development on those unfinished levels it would have meant even more delays and it would have to compete with the likes of BF3 MW3 and Skyrim and Deus EX and god knows what else is coming out
The game is what it is
Just let it go so Gearbox can give us a good sequel

I could've sworn I read somewhere they hired a few more people after a little bit, but I now fed up of aguring with the nice people here.

I speak manily out of frustration because I'm disapointed with DNF. However what's the bet people will start bitching about how the DLC should've been included within the game when that's released?

But ignore my whining about DNF I am very glad it was acually released. :)

This post has been edited by blackandbright: 06 July 2011 - 05:46 AM

View Postblackandbright, on 06 July 2011 - 05:46 AM, said:

I could've sworn I read somewhere they hired a few more people after a little bit, but I now fed up of aguring with the nice people here.

I speak manily out of frustration because I'm disapointed with DNF. However what's the bet people will start bitching about how the DLC should've been included within the game when that's released?

But ignore my whining about DNF I am very glad it was acually released. :)

Yeah stop argueing, grab a beer, call your friends and go to a strip club.
Say some Duke lines in the strip club and you're ready to go.

Ha! :) Sounds like a plan. :P

User is offline   Hank 

well, the first batch of DLC is comming to the First Access Club Members Posted Image Posted Image ChrisF just hinted it.

This post has been edited by Hank: 06 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

He didn't hint anything, He told us that we can confirm out platform and that we'll know what it is and when it'll come out in the next few weeks.

User is offline   You 

View PostBraveTriforcer, on 06 July 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

He didn't hint anything, He told us that we can confirm out platform and that we'll know what it is and when it'll come out in the next few weeks.

And further to this, I've just received the email asking me to choose my platform preference.

User is offline   Jeff 

More Duke is always a good thing. I'd still hit it! :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Ay, I hate it when they say "you'll find out info like the release date in the next few weeks" because that just means we'll have to wait a few weeks more on top of that for the thing to actually be released. In my opinion, unless they're actually showing us assets that are included in the DLC, they should keep their mouths shut until the damn thing is released.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options