Duke4.net Forums: Another Years Means... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another Years Means...

User is offline   Nukem 

Well tommarrow is New Years Eve ECT, and another year that DNF hasn't been released. Sure we had some great thumbnails and a great teaser (surprise) but...

Years are going by fast in the gaming world, 2007 was known for big releases on all gaming devices, from the PC to our cellphones, of course Duke is missing in action again.

At first when I saw the teaser I was really excited, thinking 2008 may be the year, which then I remembered was the same thoughts I had back in 2001 when the trailer was released. And after the 2004 scrap my hopes of a release anytime soon was wishful thinking.

So truth be told, the teaser shouldn't be something we blow Duke-asms about. Becuase it's just a teaser-TEASER-not a trailer. Plus anyone notice Duke looked different in the thumbnails than he did in the trailer?
So all I'm saying is release may be a while, I hate to turn pesemistic but honestly, can we expect something other than media this year? If that? Hell the teaser could be a:
"The game may be a while longer, chew on this until then."
From 3D Realms, so lets not get to giddy, be patient.

User is offline   rockmx8 

Well they made lots of improvements it seems from our last encounters with the little shots. Or maybe we didn't see him well, other than that it seems they are going at a fine pace to show stuff off now even more. Most likely we will see more next year, and possibly even the final build before release next year or in 2009.

Still all in all, the game finally does seems to show off a light at the end of the tunnel as Scott Miller said in the July Game Informer. Well let's hope next year is the year for release or early 2009. I just can't wait for that trailer they said which is on its way, it's going to ROCK most likely more than the teaser!!

Thanks and later dudes, keep the faith and believe never give up always have hope for any thing!!

User is offline   trackit 

wow rockmx8, finally there is post from you that actually makes some sense B) ok ok, im just messing with you :)

I hope that we will see full trailer soon (in january) and release in late 2008.

Ok you got it dude, but I don't think we will see the trailer that fast in January dude. It should be around E3 most probable, or may be earlier. However we will see it next year for sure, and when we do it will rock us all!! Let's sure hope so, thanks and later dudes!!

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Worst case scenario would be releasing the trailer on april 1st.

User is offline   Sarg3 

There was a quote from GeorgeB, that they would start to release media/create hype about a year to six months before the games release.

They released the trailer and the hype has started, does this mean that we will be waiting for Christmas 2008

User is offline   trackit 

i sure hope so :)

User is offline   Nihilanth 

View PostNukem, on Dec 30 2007, 02:30 PM, said:

can we expect something other than media this year?

In my opinion, yes.

View PostNukem, on Dec 30 2007, 02:30 PM, said:

Hell the teaser could be a:
"The game may be a while longer, chew on this until then."

In fact the teaser is a:
"Stay tuned".

View PostDavoX, on Dec 31 2007, 01:44 AM, said:

Worst case scenario would be releasing the trailer on april 1st.

They might just do that. Then they'll say on April 2, "We weren't fucking kidding, you fucktards!" Posted Image

Who knows what fucked up ideas 3DR has in their minds.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

lol i was thinking that would be fucked up*** :)
i hope we see a demo or something next year so atleast we can prepare and see a demo of whats coming.
i hope the game wont be scary i like prey if its more scary than prey or the whole games just one black screen (think doom 3 ) than stick it

User is offline   Lead 

I think they might have a tendency to make revisions if there is some sort of negative feedback that they eventually agree with when they take another look at it. Like people had complaints about the way he looked in the thumbnail screen shot, and I did as well. In the new Duke the complaints I'd had I think were all gone.

Right now the only issue I think a lot of people had is the hair being completely straight and in line with his head, and a lack of side hair making his head look really tall.

This is the year dudes, just hold on.

User is offline   Sarg3 

View Postzchri9, on Dec 31 2007, 02:10 PM, said:

lol i was thinking that would be fucked up*** :)
i hope we see a demo or something next year so atleast we can prepare and see a demo of whats coming.
i hope the game wont be scary i like prey if its more scary than prey or the whole games just one black screen (think doom 3 ) than stick it

If history is anything to go by DNF will be colourful and bright nothing like Doom3.

I don't think that they will do a scary game, but I would like one ot two tense moments in the game, like when you encounter a boss or the battlelords

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

^^i agree with that

User is offline   Danule 

depends on the area, some parts in duke nukem 3d were dark and "scary"...........

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Gotta be something more from 3dr within the first 6 months of this year.

Don't know about you guys but I consider the "teaser" trailer the start of the media campaign and imho 3dr needs to keep a somewhat steady flow of DNF news/briefs/screenshots/tidbits/trailers going leading up to it's release.

I already have the uncomfortable feeling that they've gone back into complete silence and we won't see anything else for a long time.

I should probably be more positive for the new year. :/

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

View Postkaisersoze, on Jan 2 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

I already have the uncomfortable feeling that they've gone back into complete silence and we won't see anything else for a long time.

I'm sure that we will see more of the game pretty soon. :) It will definately be within the first few months of 2008. George mentioned that a full trailer like the 2001 video is coming, and I guarantee that it will not be a very long time before we see it. DNF will probably be released in mid-late 2008. I think that the teaser trailer was the unveiling, and after the unveiling of the game it was going to be released about 6-12 months later. ;)

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Mid 2008? Impossible.

Do you guarantee? how?

You don't know if the game is going to be released after the "unveiling" (which IMO the teaser isn't) 6-12 monts later. They stated that it was just an estimative.

Let's not spread guessings as facts, pleeeeease :) .

User is offline   Nukem 

View Postultra tree 85!, on Jan 2 2008, 03:14 PM, said:

George mentioned that a full trailer like the 2001 video is coming, and I guarantee that it will not be a very long time before we see it.

Well here's the thing, GB is good about following through with what he says, but the problem with that is that it's "coming" the word "Soon" or "Near" was not used. In 3D Realms time that could be July!

Also after the 2004 scrap, it may not be till 09 that we see Duke Nukem. Doom 3 took four years. Plis most games take at least three years to develop.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

IIRC Doom took 4 years.

• Honored Donor

The "restart" in 2004 seemed to focus more on art assets than actual engine tech.

Took about 8-9 months for the team to incorporate the new art/tech into the levels/game.

So it shouldn't have thrown them *that* far behind development wise, I'd hope.

View Postkaisersoze, on Jan 2 2008, 06:05 PM, said:

The "restart" in 2004 seemed to focus more on art assets than actual engine tech.

Took about 8-9 months for the team to incorporate the new art/tech into the levels/game.

So it shouldn't have thrown them *that* far behind development wise, I'd hope.

Kaiser do you think this is the year we will see it more dude? I sure hope so by E3 we see a much better trailer than the 2001 version. The teaser rocked, I sure hope the rest will too. I assume this game will be shown off this year and released next year around the first quarter.

User is offline   Nukem 

We cannot assume nor can we suspect the release of Duke Nukem Forever. In total retrospect they may even be finsihed or just starting!
3D Realms is known for perennial development cycles. Prey, DNF, etc. The problem is there so secret and tight lipped about DNF, that it's quickly slipping away from media attention in a whole.
That is probabaly why they even released a teaser, to bring some attention back to the Duke Nukem franchise. Becuase most people have forgotten Duke. Plus Siegler stated that they weren't even close to a beta a while ago, which means it's going to be longer than expected.
In fact can anyone confirm that those were even in-game vids in the teaser? Can anyone really say that's what the new Pig Cop and Assault Trooper will look like?
2008, 2009, 2010...when will it be released?

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

George confirmed that the teaser is all in-game. Plus, if you check out the pigcop, it's the same as the tiny thumbnail, same texture, same modelling of the chest, etc.

Where did siegler state that? That doesn't sound like something he would be authotized to say.

User is offline   Nukem 

It was a reply he (Siegler) made on the 3D Realms forum, and is posted around here somewhere.

I don't know about same texturing/chestplate, but if it is in-game it has to be at least Pre-Alpha, at least I hope.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Chesplate? I mean his naked chest, his pectorals to be more precise.

Please I'd like to see that quote from Siegler, I can't search it since I can't access the forums.

View PostDavoX, on Jan 3 2008, 08:10 PM, said:

Chesplate? I mean his naked chest, his pectorals to be more precise.

Please I'd like to see that quote from Siegler, I can't search it since I can't access the forums.

Yeah me too I'd like to see it as well dude. By the way I have high hopes for the trailer to be out by E3 HOPEFULLY. Let's sure hope so dudes, and get ready for it as well.

• Honored Donor

Rockman-Feeling better now after a bought of sickness(which is probably why I was a bit down in some of my posts recently).

Yes, I think we'll see a bunch of DNF media this year. Probably around the summer.

That said, I think that the game will not see a 2008 release and will be released in the summer of 2009.

I'd be very, very, very surprised to see the game released this year.

I do think the media "drought" will be over though this year.

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

View Postkaisersoze, on Jan 4 2008, 09:44 AM, said:

I do think the media "drought" will be over though this year.

I thought that last year.

User is offline   Nukem 

http://www.duke4.net...p?showtopic=366

Here's the thread about Beta testing.

Anyways Summer of '09 is a way off, I wouldn't be suprised if late '08 or early '09 is the release of the game. I mean funding must be coming up short for the game's completion, Prey made enough to continue onward but still, these cycles are just to long. People lose interest, forget about Duke, than return when the teaser was released.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options