Duke4.net Forums: I fucking love the MP - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I fucking love the MP

Not only is the MP just like Duke 3D, everything it adds only makes it better. If only the same could be said for the SP. It really feels like a sequel with the MP.

Most of the humour is here too, I've never laughed out loud so much when by myself as I have this morning, hearing some awesome one liners, there's one in particular that has the word hobo in it that had me creased.

After all the fun of the modes (I only play DM), you can go to Duke's Penthouse and see all the cool stuff you've unlocked. One of my fav bits is the twins music video XD. The twins are so great. I was a bit offended when Duke didn't care for them when they died. I just remembered they're dead. Makes watching their video make me feel sad now :D What beautiful specimens.

I've just drank all Duke's beer and ate all his doughnuts haha.

Any back on topic, i was gonna trade this game in and get it again when it was cheaper but I've become hooked to the MP, I really wanna unlock everything. I'm only level 17 but I'm getting there. No life + DNF MP = some life :D

Anyone wanna play against me?

PS3 sinisterambo

Come Get Some

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 18 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

User is offline   zwieback 

i agree, but i don't have a ps3 - i play it on pc

mp fucking owns.. (if they would only fix the freezing bugs + add real dedicated server support)

MP OWNS! TRUE! It's this right in your face action. It's very rewarding too! It's the opposite to COD. And I like it even more! It reminds so much of the good old UT2003 days.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I think the MP needs to ditch the ego system and go back to health and armor pickups. That'd make it perfect IMO. The pacing and weapon damage and everything else is all what I wanted it to be, but that pacing just doesn't work well for me with the ego system. It's impossible to get a good rotation going on a map like you could in Duke3D or Quake or UT or any of the other oldschool deathmatch masterpieces because there's no health and armor anywhere to use as points to rotate between.

I'm having a blast on multiplayer! My thoughts, if anyone cares.

-I've been playing with the Duke 3D soundtrack in the background, which is fantastic.
-The ego and weapon system makes it harder for one player to dominate by controlling the pickups, which is good in some ways and not so much in others.
-I don't like the rocket spam but instead of complaining I just try to prevent them from getting the explosives, which can be fun.
-The challenges are fun, I just wish it was easier to go through the list without scrolling all day and I wish they told you what your completed challenge meant.
-The apartment is cool, I can't wait until mine is loaded with goodies.
-No push to talk = annoying. But turning down the VOIP does the trick.
-I find Dukematch to be more fun than team dukematch. The other modes are fun every once in a while. I'm glad they didn't go overboard with modes and splinter the community.
-I play on PC, but if there was splitscreen I'd buy a copy on 360. Social gaming is what makes Halo such a success and I wish I could share the Dukematch love with my friends. I understand though, because there are enough technical issues as-is.
-It sounds stupid, but it's too hard to jump precisely. For instance, getting in the window in Hollywood Holocaust or jumping off the Crane in Erection Zone.
-Lag is sometimes unbearable.
-I'm glad the feel is old school and not Halo-ized as the campaign is. I'm glad punching is hard to pull off but deadly. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed every minute of the SP.
-I know it's not the game's fault, but my (wireless) keyboard doesn't seem to like when I hold down "W" too long so sometimes I get stuck. It makes playing NecrovisioN a pain.
-The community has a generally friendly vibe.
-The maps are awesome!

Nice job Piranha

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The only problem I had with jumping is with hollywood holocaust, and that's obviously because they tried to keep the proportions as similar as possible to its Duke 3D counterpart, something which doesn't carry across so well when the jumping/movement system isn't designed for it. It takes at least 6 jumps to get into that room through the window. Still, I guess it gives you a chance to take someone out if they try to get the jetpack and RPG.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Yeah multiplayer kicks ass. I spent a good few hours doing CTB mode hosting my own server, but I love Dukematch just as much.

Few thoughts\issues:

- Fix Freezing\Lag\CRASHES!! Perhaps 3rd party tools?

-Sometimes my weapons switches on its own when its not empty, and when I don't switch it manually, which is a pain especially when I'm picking up a weapon to kill somebody shooting at me

-Ego system, I don't care, it HAS to go. I can't stand it in multiplayer. At least make it an option.

-Trip mines, I'd really like it as an option so that they don't explode when you die.

-Better server control\In Game control, Would like a ban option (a guy wouldn't stop complaining about getting killed by somebody and would re-join if I kicked him\People with noisy microphones)

-Better jetpack control, it's easy to press space and have it switch off when you don't want it to.

-I think it'd be cool if the person\team in first place couldn't use the devestator as an option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------

That's all I can think of. The biggest problem is the lag, hence why I put it first.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

How to win any match: Hoard the devestator.

Other than that, I've no complaints. I'm surprised that my favorite level is Duke Burger. I didn't care for the space levels in UT or Quake 3, but for some reason I love the open-ness of Duke Burger.

User is offline   zwieback 

View PostThePinkus, on 18 June 2011 - 11:46 PM, said:

How to win any match: Hoard the devestator.

Other than that, I've no complaints. I'm surprised that my favorite level is Duke Burger. I didn't care for the space levels in UT or Quake 3, but for some reason I love the open-ness of Duke Burger.

this was also the case in good old duke3d :D i love it

Ah good to see you guys like it too :D :D

I read all your suggestions and the one that pops out at me is most is the option for replacing ego with med packs as an option. There really should be a DLC pack with an old school option (if only the new HH was single player too and looked like it did).

I also have difficulty jumping, and hate the jump grunt sound. There was an old video someone made that I liked but can't find that was about old FPSs, quote "jump+grunt=tard".

So far this is the only game I've managed to keep my kills higher than my deaths. All those CoD guys are getting owned by us Dukers :D

I'm yet to know all the maps inside out but that comes with time.

Any one ever played the CS mod called gun game? I'm thinking this would be good for DM as it's very fast paced and a hell of a lot of fun. Start on pistol, get a kill, get a better pistol etc all the way to sniper rifles and explosives and win the match with a melee for the final kill. It's the most recent of multiplayer modes and it's on a par if not better than standard death match.

Forum guys got it added to black ops. Its not exclusive to CoD as I've said. Check it out...

By the way that map ^ is one of the best maps of all time. Its called aim_ag_texture2 or something similar and it it's just usually default source orange.

MP can be great fun when the weapons are restricted(should be more options)- but seriously, sometimes MP matches are pretty much "get the devastator/homing ASAP before anyone else and be cheap" ...and participating in this tedious unfair style is the only way to stand a chance

• tile 1018

View PostKingComrade, on 19 June 2011 - 05:08 AM, said:

MP can be great fun when the weapons are restricted(should be more options)- but seriously, sometimes MP matches are pretty much "get the devastator/homing ASAP before anyone else and be cheap" ...and participating in this tedious unfair style is the only way to stand a chance

It's not that bad. If you get far enough away with the pistol or the ripper with good aim, you can kill whoever has a devestator. Which brings me to my next point. People complain that the pistol is too overpowered. I sort of agree, I think it should have less power, but it should be a strong weapon, since it is your starting weapons.

Good point about the disappearing trip mines, Spirrwell. And zwieback, hoarding was an issue in Duke 3D but it was the items and not the devastator.

-I also would like the mirror in hollywood holocaust back. Just for fun.
-I'm a little bummed that the interactivity is mostly nixed. That's probably something we'll have to wait for the next Duke game for.
-We should post a list of this stuff on the GBX forums if there isn't one already.

My favorite moment so far: Me and another guy both went down the vent from the roof in Hollywood Holocaust at the same time. It was a frenzy to say the least.

So I have two questions:
-which weapon do you guys have the most kills with? I have the most with the shotgun and the ripper.
-If you could have another classic map back, which would you choose? I say L.A. Rumble

This post has been edited by burymeinsmoke: 19 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

• tile 1018

View Postburymeinsmoke, on 19 June 2011 - 11:39 AM, said:

Good point about the disappearing trip mines, Spirrwell. And zwieback, hoarding was an issue in Duke 3D but it was the items and not the devastator.

-I also would like the mirror in hollywood holocaust back. Just for fun.
-I'm a little bummed that the interactivity is mostly nixed. That's probably something we'll have to wait for the next Duke game for.
-We should post a list of this stuff on the GBX forums if there isn't one already.

My favorite moment so far: Me and another guy both went down the vent from the roof in Hollywood Holocaust at the same time. It was a frenzy to say the least.

So I have two questions:
-which weapon do you guys have the most kills with? I have the most with the shotgun and the ripper.
-If you could have another classic map back, which would you choose? I say L.A. Rumble

My BEST gun is the shotgun, but I also use the ripper a lot too. Maybe we could make a list of things that we would like to be added\changed in multiplayer, and have Yatta send it in. Yatta would have a bigger influence than any of us, well, except for maybe a few other people here.

As I said, probably the biggest issue is lag\freezes\crashes. Everything else could be done in due time.

Good point about interactivity. I would love the ability to pick up a barrel or a weight and throw it at somebody to do some extra damage. A lot of things can be done, but for right now, I really just want the lag issues fixed.

User is offline   Ronin 

The multiplayer is great Im level 20 and 650 kills in now and I havent had that much fun in multiplayer since GTA 4, it reminds me a lot of the maddness and chaos of a Duke 3D Dukematch.

Having a Team Dukematch on Morningwood with just punching is freaking hilarious, pure fun at one point all 8 of us were in a barn swinging at each other and I went Kenshiro on everyone and was the only one left standing! Watttaa!! ATTTATATATATATATATAT WATA!! The punching is difficult to master and requires precise timing or pure luck, funny thing is the more I practice the luckier I seem to get. :D

Im also a big fan of shotgun only matches and railgun only matches.

Also the challanges are really addictive, I had to kill myself in many strange ways to get the kamakazi headband I proudly sport, it suits my play style, I dont mind if I die just as long as everyone else dies with me.

User is offline   Serge 

• Nukem de Duc pour Toujours

Today, I stumbled across a server with only melee (with also pipebombs and tripmines) and i played 10 matches in a row. That was pretty funny and very useful to get some challenges fast.

View PostSpirrwell, on 19 June 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

People complain that the pistol is too overpowered. I sort of agree, I think it should have less power, but it should be a strong weapon, since it is your starting weapons.

I've found that reviewers claim it's not as powerful as the original in DN3D. It's not overpowered, i feel. It's a good pistol but I would trade power for an increase in fire rate and accuracy. Not that it's slow or inaccurate. My fav pistol of all time is the P228 in CS:S.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 19 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTX, on 18 June 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

I think the MP needs to ditch the ego system and go back to health and armor pickups. That'd make it perfect IMO. The pacing and weapon damage and everything else is all what I wanted it to be, but that pacing just doesn't work well for me with the ego system. It's impossible to get a good rotation going on a map like you could in Duke3D or Quake or UT or any of the other oldschool deathmatch masterpieces because there's no health and armor anywhere to use as points to rotate between.

I agree the health system makes weapons like the RPG and devastator way over powered. In DN3D you didn't have to worry about that because you had a portable medkit, atomics and armor. While it was a one hit kill with RPG in Duke3D when only at 100 health you could make it so it would take 3 hits. In DNF its a one hit kill no matter what. Makes the game take way less skill then 3D, all you got to do is camp rockets or get devastator and jetpack

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostReaperMan, on 19 June 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

I agree the health system makes weapons like the RPG and devastator way over powered. In DN3D you didn't have to worry about that because you had a portable medkit, atomics and armor. While it was a one hit kill with RPG in Duke3D when only at 100 health you could make it so it would take 3 hits. In DNF its a one hit kill no matter what. Makes the game take way less skill then 3D, all you got to do is camp rockets or get devastator and jetpack

Try railguns only, health wont matter then, its quite fun actually.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostRipemanewone, on 19 June 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

Try railguns only, health wont matter then, its quite fun actually.

I don't want to just play with only one weapon though... I want them all with a better health system.

User is offline   tryppy 

Agreed. MP is intense. Loving it.

As for the Devestator, I understand it can be a pain when someone continuously nukes you with it, but as others have said, it is possible to steal it away from them. (I prefer that to the harder to get away from "killstreaks" of another game I won't mention that really blows you out of the water XD)

Personally I do not always go for it but do need it for my MP achievements. So when I'm nuking people with it, it's for my unlocks. I"m sure it's the same for many of the MP users.

Can't stress it enough. MP is aaamazing.

Finally able to try the multiplayer. Crazy, off-the-walls, insane. I love it. :D

I'm one of the people hoarding the Devastator :D I have the most kills with it and the RPG. Duke Burger with Jetpack and Devastator is instant win though.

User is offline   JGRB 

Most fun I've had in MP in a game in a long time. It's a blast!

• tile 1018

View PostDecember Man, on 19 June 2011 - 04:38 PM, said:

I'm one of the people hoarding the Devastator :D I have the most kills with it and the RPG. Duke Burger with Jetpack and Devastator is instant win though.

Oh not entirely, but it does take some skill to be able to take down the person doing that though... ReaperMan :D I'm not too familiar with the map though, if there's an invincibility, it would be easy to score anywhere from 5 to 15 kills in a match.

Well i assume people saying it's not that unfair are playing the pc version, i've recently started playing on comp and it is a lot less lopsided due to aiming been much easier(i also have the xbox 360 version). Trying to shoot someone with a devastator with a pistol on xbox is pretty unlikely- on the xbox/playstation versions since aiming with a controller is much harder/clunky the devastator is pretty damn unfair and annoying to say the least (yes, i've hoarded the devastator so i could beat people hoarding the devastator)

• Honored Donor

View PostSpirrwell, on 19 June 2011 - 06:59 PM, said:

Oh not entirely, but it does take some skill to be able to take down the person doing that though... ReaperMan :D I'm not too familiar with the map though, if there's an invincibility, it would be easy to score anywhere from 5 to 15 kills in a match.

There's a holoduke which can give you a fair advantage against the devastator guy in that map.

User is offline   coheed82 

Hehe, yes the devastator can be lethal. but it depends on the person. ive been using the RPG and kicking the asses of over confident devastator hogs.. i find the rpg to be more accurate, though i have more kills with the devastator than the rpg at the moment im seing the benifits of the rpg more and more.. :D

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

View PostSerge, on 19 June 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

Today, I stumbled across a server with only melee (with also pipebombs and tripmines) and i played 10 matches in a row. That was pretty funny and very useful to get some challenges fast.

Knuckle sandwich is too much fun, specially putting tripmines in key places. :D

I've lost two night of sleep, but I'm leveling nice and fast. Having internet with high pings sucks though. :D

• Honored Donor

Knuckle sandwich is fun, especially when you complete a few of the Challenges and go up a few levels.

View Postcoheed82, on 20 June 2011 - 04:30 AM, said:

Hehe, yes the devastator can be lethal. but it depends on the person. ive been using the RPG and kicking the asses of over confident devastator hogs.. i find the rpg to be more accurate, though i have more kills with the devastator than the rpg at the moment im seing the benifits of the rpg more and more.. :D

The last game I entered which had infinite ammo I ended up quitting. A guy was hogging the devastator, the jetpack, and absolutely nailing me before I could even get a half decent weapon. He even got me out instantly when I had the holoduke enabled. So knowing the guy wouldn't even have to stop to get more ammo, I became frustrated and quit.

If I ever find myself in a game with infinite ammo ever again, I'll quit instantly. There's no skill, it's simply a matter of who can get the best weapon first.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 20 June 2011 - 05:03 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options