Duke4.net Forums: Doom 4 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom 4

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I always wanted to see the beginnings of Unforseen Consequences from HL1 remade in Doom 3 with demons instead of Xen aliens. That would be great. I wanted to do it myself until I discovered that creating a map in Doom 3 was as much an experience with hell as the actual game was.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTetsuo, on 20 June 2011 - 08:47 PM, said:

speaking of john being into open source I'm looking forward to id tech 4 being open sourced... some good modding will come of that.

Amen to that!!! Honestly, I learned so much from those guys it's not even funny. Posted Image

I like the idea of hell on earth, it was already executed in Doom 2 and that worked really well ( especially co-op ).
I really miss the sounds in the background of monsters that are growling.
Really added to the atmosphere, i was scared of Doom 1 and 2 back in the day.

Did you play the psx version of doom? It sounds like you did. That game had some of the best ambient music ever.

I am definitely a bigger Doom fan than Duke fan so I am definitely looking forward towards Doom 4 since before I even finished with Doom3.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 21 June 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

I am definitely a bigger Doom fan than Duke fan so I am definitely looking forward towards Doom 4 since before I even finished with Doom3.

Are you up for some Doom 3? I just installed the game after not playing it in awhile. DNF made me revert to older games.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I was quite suprised to find a few MP games going with d3.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostTetsuo, on 18 June 2011 - 01:14 AM, said:

By the way I liked Doom 3 (especially modded) and I don't care what anyone says. I also really enjoyed Resurrection of Evil and liked how you with hell time you could practically zoom around the monsters blasting them with the BFG like in the area right before the final boss.

Seconded. I thought Doom 3 was fucking badass. Never got the hate for it.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Jesus. You don't get the hate?

It was monotonous, tedious, the scares became predictable after a few hours, there was nearly zero variety in the level design, and it took a game famous for hardcore action and turned it into a primitive survival horror game.

It was the biggest gaming disappointment of my life. It was a generic survival horror FPS with a pretty engine. It just happened to have UAC crates in it.

I have very low expectations for Doom 4. Rage looks fantastic, though.

This post has been edited by Descent: 03 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postthemaniacboy, on 21 June 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

I like the idea of hell on earth, it was already executed in Doom 2 and that worked really well ( especially co-op ).

I'll admit I only played the first episode of doom 1, and a bit of doom 2, but I didn't see any difference between them in terms of textures or level design. I can probably compare it to the difference between episode 1 and 3 of Duke Nukem 3D.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostDescent, on 03 July 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

Jesus. You don't get the hate?

Nope. At the time I just thought it was a badass shooter with big guns, monsters, and amazing graff exx.

It was monotonous, tedious, the scares became predictable after a few hours, there was nearly zero variety in the level design, and it took a game famous for hardcore action and turned it into a primitive survival horror game.

Didn't find it scary, nor thought I was supposed to. Just thought it was a cheesy shooting game.

It was the biggest gaming disappointment of my life. It was a generic survival horror FPS with a pretty engine. It just happened to have UAC crates in it.

Fair enough. This will sound like a cheap shot, but regardless I think on balance DNF far out-qualifies Doom 3 as "a disappointment", and is easily the biggest gaming disappointment of my life. At least most people thought Doom 3 was pretty cool when it came out. Most people think DNF is pretty crap.

I have very low expectations for Doom 4. Rage looks fantastic, though.

I've got no expectations for Doom 4 at the moment. We haven't seen anything of it, and therefore I don't know what to expect from it beyond guns and monsters.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options