Duke4.net Forums: Doom 4 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom 4

User is offline   DerickVonD 

Anyone else excited about this game? I read it's scheduled for late 2011 release, which of course means an early to mid 2012 release lol. The gameplay in Doom 3 was great multiplayer, I love how you got to hide in the dark. Plus Id releases mod tools with their games, I just hope they don't do a two gun limit. I don't think they will though. I was so disappointed with DNF hopefully Rage and Doom 4 will make up for it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDerickVonD, on 18 June 2011 - 12:39 AM, said:

The gameplay in Doom 3 was great multiplayer, I love how you got to hide in the dark.

I've always heard Doom 3's MP being slammed (culminating in that one convention choosing Painkiller over it). It's interesting to hear a different perspective.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 18 June 2011 - 12:41 AM

View PostHendricks266, on 18 June 2011 - 12:40 AM, said:

I've always heard Doom 3's MP being slammed (culminating in that one convention choosing Painkiller over it). It's interesting to hear a different perspective.

It was not the best multiplayer, but it was a lot of fun hiding in the shadows. See I used to play multiplayer with friends and not on random servers, so I have no idea how it was on other servers if there were a lot of cheaters or whatever.

I just heard the editor was a pain to use and I never saw a lot of custom maps.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I'm always excited for a new Doom game as I have been playing Doom games for practically half my life. :D Anyway, I highly doubt Doom 4 is going to have a two weapon limit no other id ip has such restrictions including Wolfenstein (2009) or the upcoming Rage. Rage is going to have a proper arsenal with each number attached to a weapon and you hit the number again to choose ammo type. If anything I can see them carrying that over to Doom 4.

By the way I liked Doom 3 (especially modded) and I don't care what anyone says. I also really enjoyed Resurrection of Evil and liked how you with hell time you could practically zoom around the monsters blasting them with the BFG like in the area right before the final boss.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 18 June 2011 - 01:17 AM

User is offline   ThePinkus 

I'm most interested in seeing the direction this game is headed. Its not a direct sequel to Doom 3 or a remake of Doom 2, so then what the hell is it?

User is offline   Loke 

View PostDerickVonD, on 18 June 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

I just heard the editor was a pain to use

I tried using it but apparently it won't work properly in Windows Vista/7 as there were graphical issues with the editor and I had no fucking idea how to build a simple room even after following a tutorial.

You can try yourself by following this guide.

and I never saw a lot of custom maps.

There's not a lot of them but there are a few worth checking out like Fragging Free and Phobos.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I had a little more fun using the same type of editor in Quake 4 and spamming monsters and vehicles about.

EDIT: I take it there is no trailers or video of this game yet?

This post has been edited by The Commander: 18 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

View PostThe Commander, on 18 June 2011 - 04:46 AM, said:

I had a little more fun using the same type of editor in Quake 4 and spamming monsters and vehicles about.

EDIT: I take it there is no trailers or video of this game yet?

I saw afew enemy screenshots on the web. No video yet though.

User is offline   Stabs 

post them then for god sakes man, afaik no-one knows anything about doom 4

This post has been edited by DanM: 18 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

I would, but I lost the page where I saw them :D

User is offline   Stabs 

as long as they do a doom mixed with a serious sam kinda flow i think its a winner, rage engine should deliver the environment, how it handles 1000's of demons is another matter

View PostDerickVonD, on 18 June 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

I just heard the editor was a pain to use and I never saw a lot of custom maps.

Nah, it was quite easy to use. I haven't done much Doom3 mapping, but I've done enough Prey mapping to know this first-hand. I especially like the scripting system: so easy, yet so powerful!

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I'm personally excited for the new Doom game. I had a fan site called Doom3Center.com back in the day, too.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDerickVonD, on 18 June 2011 - 10:27 AM, said:

http://www.doomworld...-art-direction/
start here.

And yes, ehmm, shall we say, I like Doom. Not a true fan. Posted Image

http://www.dailymoti...om-4_videogames
this is old, and I'm almost certain you have this, still - just in case.

This post has been edited by Hank: 18 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

I'm looking forward to Doom 4, but I'm a bit worried that it will be all glitchy and shit, now that they're with ZeniMax. I'm not a fan of Bethesda's games, because of broken leveling systems in the Elder Scrolls series and constant crashing in Fallout.

I like Doom 3 also, but I've never played multiplayer. I never had a problem with not having a flash light on every gun.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Well just because they are with zenimax doesn't mean id tech 5 is going to suddenly turn into gamebryo or get infected by being published by the same company somehow.

Hopefully it won't require steam to run. Hmmm do you think taketwo made the decision for DNF to run on steam so they could control what players do and make the game even less likely to be modded. Randy said before the game came out he didn't like the idea of being forced to use steam.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Not necessarily I mean even the first ever steam games... all of valves are highly moddable.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 18 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

View PostDerickVonD, on 18 June 2011 - 10:27 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about. They weren't real shots of Doom 4 enemies, they were fan made slapped with a "Doom 4" logo on it. They used Doom 3 I believe.

This, right?

http://ui05.gamespot...676/doom4_2.png

This post has been edited by ThePinkus: 19 June 2011 - 12:14 AM

View PostThePinkus, on 19 June 2011 - 12:11 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about. They weren't real shots of Doom 4 enemies, they were fan made slapped with a "Doom 4" logo on it. They used Doom 3 I believe.

This, right?

http://ui05.gamespot...676/doom4_2.png

Yeah.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I liked the look of that enemy though Doom 4 or not. But I think that since id has said that Rage was supposed to be a 60FPS id tech 5 game and Doom 4 is to be a 30FPS id tech 5 game so they can go more nuts with the graphics and number of enemies they may come out with something more mind blowing than that.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 19 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

View PostTetsuo, on 18 June 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

Well just because they are with zenimax doesn't mean id tech 5 is going to suddenly turn into gamebryo or get infected by being published by the same company somehow.

I didn't mean Id would be infected by Zenimax. :D What I meant was Id may be pressured by Zenimax to release the game before it is polished.

I'm sure Zenimax aren't really like that. They seem to give more than enough time to developers to polish up their games.

Both Hunted and Brink were announced years before they eventually came out. If it was someone else, they'd probably announce it the very same year.

(Even though both games are pretty darn buggy, thats beside the point)

View PostThePinkus, on 20 June 2011 - 11:49 AM, said:

I'm sure Zenimax aren't really like that. They seem to give more than enough time to developers to polish up their games.

Both Hunted and Brink were announced years before they eventually came out. If it was someone else, they'd probably announce it the very same year.

(Even though both games are pretty darn buggy, thats beside the point)

I hope you're right.

(How is it beside the point? Correct me if I'm wrong but, Id is in the same boat as Bethesda now. They are both owned by Zenimax.)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostThePinkus, on 20 June 2011 - 11:49 AM, said:

I think so too. John is still in open source and caters too the modding community. Rage will have an SDK, so as far as I can see it's business as usual for id Software. Minus the licensing of engines. Posted Image
reference link
http://www.gamasutra...e_Licensing.php

This post has been edited by Hank: 20 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I only played the Doom 3 multiplayer once. It was a 4 player free for all on Xbox Live, and I remember winning by a substantial amount (in my first and only game of Doom 3 multiplayer :D)

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostHank, on 20 June 2011 - 02:01 PM, said:

I think so too. John is still in open source and caters too the modding community. Rage will have an SDK, so as far as I can see it's business as usual for id Software. Minus the licensing of engines. Posted Image
reference link
http://www.gamasutra...e_Licensing.php

speaking of john being into open source I'm looking forward to id tech 4 being open sourced... some good modding will come of that.

View PostWhatTheFunk, on 20 June 2011 - 12:24 PM, said:

I hope you're right.

(How is it beside the point? Correct me if I'm wrong but, Id is in the same boat as Bethesda now. They are both owned by Zenimax.)

I mean how what I was saying was kind of contradictory. I was saying how Zenimax gave the developers of Brink and Hunted lots of time to polish their games, even to the extent both were given delays, but both have a fair amount of bugs.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Enemy Territory Quake Wars also seemed to shipped with a fair amount of bugs and at the time splash damage wasn't affiliated with zenimax or anything. Reason I mentioned it is because Splash Damage made brink as well. Zenimax didn't suddenly change them or anything.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 21 June 2011 - 04:42 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options