Duke4.net Forums: "Duke Nukem Forever Is Irrelevant" - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Duke Nukem Forever Is Irrelevant"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What the heck does this even mean? I keep seeing this on reviews and people's comments about the game and Duke's character itself. How is it not relevant? This statement doesn't even make sense. Is it insinuating that people aren't interested in Duke anymore? No. What is it? I don't understand. I can't even see the point of view to disagree with it.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

They like to use big words to sound intelligent? I don't know what they mean by it, sounds like another way to bash the game without really reviewing.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

There hasn't been a successful Duke game in the better part of a decade. Perhaps that's what they meant? Post some links to the reviews so we can read the entire context of what you're talking about.

User is offline   Romulus 

Duke is not a spec ops marine nor some creep in a green power suit, don't you see? That's what makes him irrelevant, unless you're a spec ops marine/green power suit wearing clown/a common thug running loose in the streets killing men and women alike, you're bound to be irrelevant.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 18 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

User is offline   Hank 

ehmm how about playing it? Since when do we care what "they" think? Just a thought. Posted Image

User is offline   Tetsuo 

In this day and age where big muscled action heroes like in the 80's and early 90's (such as arnold, stallone and van damme) aren't as prevalent at the movie theater some people think they are irrelevant and duke is pretty much a take of those. So it's no surprise that they would call him irrelevant in that context. That doesn't mean many people aren't still entertained by that sort of thing though but I guess they are irrelevant to the mainstream for the most part when you go to the theater and see skinny teens or the beef as action heroes.

User is offline   Romulus 

We don't care, no, but the thing is, reviews like the ones on IGN(o-rant) or Gamespot kills the interest for the new generation of gamer's who never got the chance to get acquainted with Duke Nukem, as a die hard fan of Duke Nukem even I would admit, that the game is not perfect, however, it's not as horrible as the reviews say it is. We know what they're all about but how do you get the people who never followed the game's development history nor have the understanding of gaming industry to understand this? All this game needed to get a +1 in the reviews is to have the EA logo and Duke wearing some spec ops marine outfit and working for the intelligence or something, that surely oughta made the game a lot more relevant. If Duke Nukem's irrelevant then the same should be implied on all the old school shooters, from Doom to Serious Sam, they all are irrelevant then.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 18 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

User is offline   randir14 

People like the think they're more high brow than they were back in 1996, so they bash Duke and call it irrelevant.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View Postrandir14, on 17 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

People like the think they're more high brow than they were back in 1996, so they bash Duke and call it irrelevant.

The scene may have changed, but the action, blood, guts, and violence are still the same. The only conceptual difference between Duke Nukem and Call Of Duty is that the former doesn't take itself quite so seriously.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 17 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

User is offline   Engel220 

Gaming journalists want more characters like Dom from 'Gears of War', or John Marston from 'Red Dead Redemption'. The media want characters who can be tough and muscular while also staying in touch with their emotions, are fighting for deep emotional reasons and are not afraid to cry because that shows a modern attitude to character design and development, and anyone who wants a sharp, one-liner spitting, arse-kicking American badass who cuts through all the treacle must have the intellect and attention span of a Donkey. Gaming needs more simplistic and unashamedly crude characters because, in my opinion, it takes more skill to create a character like Duke Nukem and to refine all of his trademarks than it does to make a character like Dom Santiago or John Marston.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 18 June 2011 - 02:04 AM

It's more irreverent :D

User is offline   Ronin 

Being serious and having dept are in fashion now and have been for quite a while now, Nukem does not conform to these standards he is the polar opposite. Remember fashion is so bad that it has to change itself as it gets boring after a while, hopfully Nukem will remain a constant, consider Nukem like a leather jacket, other trends will come and go but the leather jacket is always there doing its thing whether people like it or not.

Why are there no movies like the original Predator anymore? Which got slammed by critics when it came out, but time was kinder to that movie, maybe it will be to DNF too, it already has a cult following.

In a world full of emo pussies Nukem is more rellevant than ever.

• The Sarien Encounter

I know WHY they say it, I just don't understand what it means....or what they think it means. How is anything irrelevant? As long as there's an interest in it it's relevant. As long as it EXISTS it's relevant. You can't just brazenly say something is not relevant if it exists. It seems like the most ridiculous thing to say about any piece of art, game, movie, song, etc. Like, it's a completely unintelligent thing to say and I lose respect for anybody who uses that phrase about anything. A tremendous amount of respect. Especially for reviewers, they should know better.

User is offline   Twig 

It's irrelevant because it doesn't affect gaming industry. That's what irrelevant means - it's excistence or non-excistence doesn't change anything in gaming.

• The Sarien Encounter

They're using the wrong word if that's what they meant. Either way, who cares? Besides, they're one to talk. They take all their time praising up COD and it hasn't innovated anything for FPS games since the first iteration.

User is offline   Twig 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 June 2011 - 01:52 PM, said:

They're using the wrong word if that's what they meant. Either way, who cares? Besides, they're one to talk. They take all their time praising up COD and it hasn't innovated anything for FPS games since the first iteration.

But the thing, sadly, isn't about innovation. It is about relevance and looking at the FPS market (especially console one, PC luckily still has things like portal, stalker, metro and indie things like The Ball) I'd say that COD has influenced largely what kind of FPS's are made in the AAA circle.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

In 100 years people are barely going to remember what COD was, except for a type of fish. It'll be games like Duke Nukem that'll eco through the ages. COD is like eating a plain piece of white bread in a quiet room with no windows. Duke Nukem is like eating a meatlovers pizza with your mates, washing it down with some beers, and cracking jokes all night long.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 June 2011 - 02:36 AM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

You should apply for a job at one of those sites or magazines and show them a thing or two in how reviewing is done.

• The Sarien Encounter

My sarcasm detector seems to be broken...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Duke is irrelevant, but that's one of the things I love about him. Even in 1996, Duke was on the edge of irrelevancy, by 1999 the era of characters like him had pretty much ended. Name the last time you saw a movie with a gun-toting badass with large muscles who liked to make witty remarks. Good luck! That is why DNF should have felt fresh. I think Gearbox might have rushed it out the door too soon.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 19 June 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

Name the last time you saw a movie with a gun-toting badass with large muscles who liked to make witty remarks. Good luck!

http://www.reelzchan...gins-wolverine/

DNF is a first person shooter, not a movie!

This post has been edited by Hank: 19 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

X-Men Origins was dogshit. (I am a huge comic fan so I can tell you hundreds of reasons why.) Duke was always in the vein of the Terminator series, RoboCop, Evil Dead series, They Live, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, and Kurt Russell films, among many other things. The point is that these types of films are largely a way of the past, and as much video game characters like Duke Nukem are much the same, the only other character I can think of like him that has lasted this long is Serious Sam. These types of movies and films may live in the hearts of many (such as myself) but our mass produced and industry instigate pop culture pushes away from these politically incorrect sorts of characters and instead goes for more sanitized varieties, giving you such films as The Transporter and The Fast and The Furious.

User is offline   Hank 

^ Comics ain't no movies and movies ain't no First Person Shooters. What are you trying to say here? Will you introduce books next to make a point, on how utterly irrelevant Duke Nukem is?

The makers of Duke never claimed to have created a compelling character for the movies or for comics; just good enough for a First Person Shooter. In this context, I think Duke works, and is as relevant as it can go. Hell, he is the hero saving the chicks. Ridding my screen from the ugly aliens etc. - If you try to look for a deeper meaning of the First Person Shooter, and claim irrelevancy of the shooter's character, which in the end is actually you, yourself, ehmm, you just may have got the wrong game.

This post has been edited by Hank: 19 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

View PostHank, on 19 June 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

Hell, he is the hero saving the chicks.

The Super Mario Brothers called :D

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View Postthelegend4ever, on 20 June 2011 - 07:42 AM, said:

The Super Mario Brothers called :D

That's "heroes saving the chick". Only a slight difference but enough of a distinction. Duke's a player, after all. :D

Name the last time you saw a movie with a gun-toting badass with large muscles who liked to make witty remarks. Good luck

Expendables?
You might very well dislike the movie, though. Personally I thought it was a wonderful fest o' gore and guns.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 20 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostHank, on 19 June 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

^ Comics ain't no movies and movies ain't no First Person Shooters. What are you trying to say here? Will you introduce books next to make a point, on how utterly irrelevant Duke Nukem is?

The makers of Duke never claimed to have created a compelling character for the movies or for comics; just good enough for a First Person Shooter. In this context, I think Duke works, and is as relevant as it can go. Hell, he is the hero saving the chicks. Ridding my screen from the ugly aliens etc. - If you try to look for a deeper meaning of the First Person Shooter, and claim irrelevancy of the shooter's character, which in the end is actually you, yourself, ehmm, you just may have got the wrong game.

You lack the cognitive ability to coherently interpret my posts. I am done with you.

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 20 June 2011 - 08:20 AM, said:

Expendables?
You might very well dislike the movie, though. Personally I thought it was a wonderful fest o' gore and guns.

You bring up a good point, alas, that film was pretty much independently made from studios and if Sylvester wasn't such a heavyweight in Hollywood, it probably would have never gotten the greenlight. My point was more that the general culture is moving away from these types of stories and characters, leaving people like us often out in the cold.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 20 June 2011 - 09:24 AM, said:

I am done with you.

Now you start to talk sense.Posted Image

View PostMicky C, on 19 June 2011 - 02:35 AM, said:

In 100 years people are barely going to remember what COD was, except for a type of fish. It'll be games like Duke Nukem that'll eco through the ages. COD is like eating a plain piece of white bread in a quiet room with no windows. Duke Nukem is like eating a meatlovers pizza with your mates, washing it down with some beers, and cracking jokes all night long.

You melt my heart :D

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Well CoD is anything but irrelevant. DNF is totally irrelevant compared to the CoD franchise. The fact is that DNF is heavily influenced by the franchise, not vice versa. This is because CoD is not irrelevant but DNF is.

• The Sarien Encounter

I didn't say it wasn't relevant. In fact, I'm saying the opposite. Nothing is irrelevant. But saying that DNF is irrelevant for not being innovative when COD doesn't either is a bit....contradictory.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options